• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game moment of all time?

intbal

Figuring out how to network the Macs in the chemistry lab and play 1v1v1 deathmatch in Hexen with my friends.
The first time I got a kill playing as a flying pig... Not much in gaming can top that.

any Final Boss in any Sonic game, especially if it's a kaiju in one of the a 3D Games, and especially if the music is buttrock

it may sound ridiculous but it's genuinly hype in the same way a big fight in a good anime is hype.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

XRGw5cA.jpg

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Landing on Skellige for the first time. I swam out to a boat wreck off a strange island with one tree on an eerily placid ocean. The music sealed the moment.

A close second? Gaining entry to the forest temple in Ocarina of Time for the first time.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
For me it would have to be the moment the camera pans down and cloud takes off his helmet and reveals to the player where he had been all along. That whole Lifestream scene is fantastic but that moment is seared in my memory.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Going to the Shadow Moses helipad in MGS4
Going to the Ishimura in Dead Space 2
Going to the RPD in Resident Evil 3
Going to Masyaf in Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (What a way to end the series, shame they never made any more)

cireza

I see that I missed the word "moment" in the title. So to further elaborate on my pick (Phantasy Star IV), there is one really strong moment in the game.

This is when Alys dies of course.
psiv_034.png

Rieko Kodama (and the teams) is really behind the strongest moments of my video-game childhood, with Phantasy Star series and Skies of Arcadia.

Last edited:
When Ellie kills David in The Last of Us

Such a great moment with incredible build up
After this game I was fine with this being the last time I saw Joel and Ellie, I wanted to see more of the universe not just them, ya know?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Got multiple on different platforms.

Myst:

So detailed, so good. Exploring was never so fun.

unnamed_2_9_6.jpg

When u walk into the opening and realize a massive world is explorable.

25years25days-3.jpg

Then u found a painting and entered the world, just amazing, no handholding just pure gameplay.

5952-this-cross-over-between-super-mario-64-and-banjo-k-m.jpg

The first encounter with this badass will be in my memory forever.

Also this scary mf, he don't even need to hit you to make you shit on your pants;

First time i tried Devil may cry gameplay, when i sent the enemies in the air and shoot them. Sword + guns...

Handel

Amaterasu fully becoming the Sun Goddess in Okami, with The Sun Rises playing as the perfect final boss music to celebrate :

Okami-Animated-Gif-s-okami-amaterasu-16966278-320-225.gif

Ico's bridge scene, as it's where the game transcends the medium to become high art, and where Yorda fully comes into her own as an equal partner in her relationship with Ico :

hqdefault.jpg

Anju and Kafei's reunion in Majora's Mask, right before the moon crashes...as my favorite game of all time many moments could be put here from the game including the inside of the moon from the OP, but the NPCS and their quest lines are the heart of MM:

screen-shot-2015-02-13-at-1-00-17-am.png

subsmoke

In Resident Evil 3 when Jill calls in the rescue chopper at the clock tower, Nemesis destroys it with his missile launcher and then infects Jill with the T virus. Carlos rushes in to help and manages to blow up Nemesis's weapon before falling unconscious and then Jill has to fight an even stronger version of Nemesis in the ruined clock tower courtyard while she's infected and injured.

catvonpee

Getting the cape in Super Mario World was pretty memorable.

"Where's everyone going, bingo?" In RE4 for most memorable quote.

The Sniper Wolf battle in MGS was probably the most tense.

It's been a while but I liked when Jin gets the Ghost Freekout power in Ghost of Tsushima.

Most memorable in terms of being horribly depressing is Ellie
getting her fingers bit off
in TLOU2.

Kaachan

Amaterasu fully becoming the Sun Goddess in Okami, with The Sun Rises playing as the perfect final boss music to celebrate :

Okami-Animated-Gif-s-okami-amaterasu-16966278-320-225.gif

Ico's bridge scene, as it's where the game transcends the medium to become high art, and where Yorda fully comes into her own as an equal partner in her relationship with Ico :

hqdefault.jpg

Anju and Kafei's reunion in Majora's Mask, right before the moon crashes...as my favorite game of all time many moments could be put here from the game including the inside of the moon from the OP, but the NPCS and their quest lines are the heart of MM:

screen-shot-2015-02-13-at-1-00-17-am.png
I love that Okami and MM scene :messenger_heart:
Anju and Kafei's reunion is especially touching..

Darkwood platforming/adventure hybrid. It was crazy having an open 3D platform game with a whole interactive world to explore in 1995. It was crazy to combine such a thing with rpg style combat for the time.

One of the big things setting it apart from other games is that the world was interactive, you can knock apples out of a tree and pick them up, bushes changed if you stepped on them, characters are running around towns, birds are flying around and will flee if you get near them. Crazy stuff:

Stolen gifs from another forum

uc9L4Zq.gif

ZXRs1Uu.gif

Amazing control when you plug in an analog controller too.

There's also weather which can impact the world at times, like rain may flood some areas making them temporarily inacessible. There's also an impressive use of gravity where jumping while moving down hill will move you faster and send you a longer distance than from a flat cliff or from a hill. You can also slip on some ground types when raining.

You just had to be there to experience it, you wouldn't see a filled open game like this style, platformer wise, honestly until maybe Jak 2001, as the others before then where a mix of level to level and mostly empty spaces, and there's little interaction with the game world.

Was amazing at the time. But of course in 2021 standards it's been surpassed 5 times over but it's still a fun game to go back to. Sometimes I like just running and hopping around the town and bridges, crazy what was achieved.

It really laid the ground work for an open platforming experience and showed 3D could work for the genre, also inspired many third person action games being one of the benchmarks for game design in the early 3D days.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hard to say for sure from 1997. Probably Barret/Tifa. I remember not liking Aeris at the time because of her weak melee attacks compared to others and was never really into Red XIII either.
I would have to say I chose exactly the same for probably the same reasons!!

Really hard to only choose one, so I'll list many :

David helicopter rescue in Dino Crisis 2
Sunshine, Mario arrives at the airport
Metroid Prime, arriving on Tallon and be speechless after witnessing that marvel, raindrops and such with perfect soundtrack
MGS, elevator intro

SLB1904

Banned
Too many to count, but one of my peak moments in video game industry involves Snake jumping of the George Washington bridge, landing on a boat, stealth camo getting tap'd out and our main protagonist looking at the endless ocean while the logo is being displayed in an aggressive manner.

mgs2-tanker.jpg
I came here to say too many great moments but metal gear series probably take the cake.

Xp6fvh.gif

Last edited:
Itrkwood platforming/adventure hybrid. It was crazy having an open 3D platform game with a whole interactive world to explore in 1995. It was crazy to combine such a thing with rpg style combat for the time.

One of the big things setting it apart from other games is that the world was interactive, you can knock apples out of a tree and pick them up, bushes changed if you stepped on them, characters are running around towns, birds are flying around and will flee if you get near them. Crazy stuff:

Stolen gifs from another forum

uc9L4Zq.gif

ZXRs1Uu.gif

Amazing control when you plug in an analog controller too.

There's also weather which can impact the world at times, like rain may flood some areas making them temporarily inacessible. There's also an impressive use of gravity where jumping while moving down hill will move you faster and send you a longer distance than from a flat cliff or from a hill. You can also slip on some ground types when raining.

You just had to be there to experience it, you wouldn't see a filled open game like this style, platformer wise, honestly until maybe Jak 2001, as the others before then where a mix of level to level and mostly empty spaces, and there's little interaction with the game world.

Was amazing at the time. But of course in 2021 standards it's been surpassed 5 times over but it's still a fun game to go back to. Sometimes I like just running and hopping around the town and bridges, crazy what was achieved.

It really laid the ground work for an open platforming experience and showed 3D could work for the genre, also inspired many third person action games being one of the benchmarks for game design in the early 3D days.

Can't edit post for some reason (forum though I pressed enter) but the best moment of the game for me was leaving the town, just running around experiencing the weather changes, interactive objects, and birds flying around in third person was nuts at the time were many other games not first-person were basically dull and empty for years.

Top Bottom