• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game that you've ever played?

MrJTeera

I’ve been thinking about this question for hours. So many games I’ve played that I liked, and so many new ones that keep on coming.

I don’t have a shortage on games that I like, and it’s so hard to pick out a specific one.

But then I remembered this:

Fuz

Banned
The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_%2528DOS%2529_07.gif

GametimeUK

Dark Souls 1.

There was something about the challenge, lore, leveling up, combat system, art design, multiplayer, pacing (first half), build diversity and sense of adventure that I absolutely love. They mixed all these elements together perfectly. Super Mario World was my fave game up until then and it almost hurt me to admit something dethroned my childhood game. Dark Souls will very likely not be topped.

Drunkenbum10

Neo Member
Metal gear solid.

I can honestly say that game stopped 16/17 year old me from taking my own life.

I still have the original version I bought all the way back in 1998.

It's not the best game I ever played but it is by far my favourite

Probably Super Mario World to be honest, Mario 64 was the most shocking, Half Life 2 made me a hardcore gamer, but Super Mario World is my "favorite" - So much cheer- joy- mystery- art- smoothness- excellent controls- content

Woodchipper

Tie between MGS and TLoU. GTA III made a huge impact on me when it came out, but it hasn’t aged as well as the other two.

Cryio

For the longest of time, if somebody would've asked me what "my favorite game of all time was", I would've said Prince of Persia Warrior Within. If somebody asked for "the best story in a video game", I would've said Legacy of Kain series. For atmosphere, NOTHING topped Thief Deadly Shadow for me, for a while.

Good times.

Erdrick

Dragon Quest 3. The hype I had for this one in 1991 was huge thanks to a huge spread that Nintendo Power had on it in August 91's issue. When I finally played it in early 92, it lived up to my expectations and then some.

Needless to say, I eagerly anticipate the new DQ3 remake coming soon.

The original half life is, and will probably remain, my favourite game ever. It was beyond anything I've ever played in 1999, and is still better than most modern games apart from graphics. Superb pacing, foreboding atmosphere, excellent and aggressive AI, top-notch level design (Black Mesa is still one of the best settings ever to be featured in a game), amazing set-pieces (who can forget blast pit or surface tension!). Only game that got close was, surprise surprise Half life 2 and episodes. City 17 and Eastern Europe doesn't instill the same sense of dread as Black Mesa, so that put Half-Life 2 just a notch below the original.

Shifty1897

Depending on the day:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • The Witcher 3
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Honorable Mentions:
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Nier Automata
  • Super Mario World
  • The Last of Us
  • StarCraft + Brood War
Games that were contenders 10-15 years ago but have aged a bit poorly:
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Vagrant Story
  • Perfect Dark

Bkdk

Hard one, though there are many flaws as it’s a small budget game, I’ll go for sengoku rance. When I was playing that game, I was so hopeful for gaming that one day there will be aaa games that are inspired by this. Oh boy I was so wrong, the total opposite happened to these big budget games, i did not see that coming at all. I still hope for a total war: rance title or something like that.

killatopak

Gold Member
Ragnarok Online.

Probably had the biggest impact in my taste. The relaxing music, simple rpg gameplay and cute art.

I really had fond memories of that time.

SSfox

MGS1

Best main character ever, a lot iconic characters , best story, sickest twist, best boss fights , sickest bosses ever, innovative AF.

Top Bottom