• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game that you've ever played?

images

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ocarina of Time. The first videogame I ever played. Sucked me into the genre, into the series, into the hobby, into fantasy in general. Was a drawing point for several friends I made. Informed and encouraged my writing and art.

As for the game, it was an amazing experience. So bright, so vivid, so expansive (for the time) the puzzles, the bestiary, the music. Everything came together to form just a WONDERFUL first gaming experience. There are games that are bigger, look better, have more content, have better music and stories, but holy fuck, do I have to give it to this game as the doorway into the other experiences.

Daymos

I really don't know. I will say I enjoyed playing final fantasy 11 online with friends more than any other game.. I don't know if the game itself was good, but being addicted to grinding and gear acquiring with 5000 mostly helpful people on the Bismarck server was awesome.

T0minator

Super Mario 64 (first game that amazed me)

Tekken Tag Tournament (arcade glorydays)

Uncharted 4 (concluded a series beautifully)

Resident Evil 1 (the original storyline is still legendary)

Astros Playroom (brought back memories that made this game in itself memorable ...for free)

Guitar Hero (gaming addiction again!)

The Last of Us 2(the struggle felt by the characters and brutal combat is unmatched)

X-Men vs Street Fighter (a dream game I didn't know I wanted)

God of War (a redesign and restructuring executed perfectly)

Time Crisis 2 (if I ever see this in an arcade I stop what I'm doing and play it)

TidusYuna

Final Fantasy X

The story, graphics and introduction of voice acting in a Final Fantasy game blew my mind as a kid after playing FF8 and FF9.

Sensei

Too many to only choose one.
On the top of my head:
  • Xenogears: probably the first one that made me feel I wasn't just mindlessy playing some game
  • Metal Slug X: I wasted so much money on the arcades back in the day. Never managed to aver finish it with just a coin
  • Tekken 3: the first one I actually put some effort in learning how to play properly (combos, movesets, etc.)
  • Final Fantasy X: the closest thing to actually playing an interactive movie back then
  • Pokemon Red: I still remember the struggle to collect all the 151 original Pokemons and looking for someone who had a transfer cable AND a copy of the other game. Words can't describe my disappointment when I found my savefile erased one day...
  • The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim: probably the best free roaming experience I had until then. The combination of the setting, the music, and the graphics (for the time at least) was spot on. Also I was lucky enough to rarely encounter bugs that broke the sense of immersion
  • Ever 17: The Out of Infinity: the visual novel that made me re-evaluate the genre
  • Neverwinter Nights (2002): I would've never started playing D&D without it
  • Burnout 3: Takedown: one the best soundtracks of all time. Probably the arcade racing I enjoyed the most
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: same feeling I had when playing Skyrim. But better

Doom 93 for reasons I don't need to go in to and I've already posted several times.

Shout out to the OP, Max Payne 2 is my favourite third person action game of all time and apart from being a fantastic game in its own right that more than holds up or surpasses current gen fodder it is undoubtedly the coolest damn game I've ever played too.
MY man *dap*

TwiztidElf

SPACE HARRIER
At this point in my life I don't think anything will overtake this as my number 1 GOAT.
As a teenager getting thrown around in that absolutely violent hydraulic cabinet. That intro music, followed by the credit noise "dododo-do", followed by "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, Get Ready!", followed by that music, against all that absolutely chaotic action, with the best sound effects ever in a video game. What an experience. I don't care what anyone says, Yu Suzuki is a god.
The 3DS and Switch versions are absolute gold.
It gets no better.

Batman Arkham Games
Halo 1-Reach
The Last of Us 1

And hmmmmm. I used to be super into Skyrim and have certainly put an insane amount of hours into GTA 4 and 5, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, The Uncharted saga (1-4) and assassins creed 2-4 (Particularly 3). But I wouldn't rank them up there with those 3 I don't think. I don't have a cogent reason why but the listed ones just touched me on a deep level few games ever have and maybe will.

Havoc2049

I've been gaming since the 8-bit days and each gen there are two or three games that I consider great and among my favorites. If I had to pick just one, I guess I would pick Deus Ex. I love the RPG and FPS genres and Deus Ex does a great job at combining the two. I loved the near future cyberpunk setting and story of Deus Ex. The world design and multiple ways to solve all the events in Deus Ex was just amazing and just really sucked me into the game universe.

Fredrik

Super Metroid is the closest to a perfect game you could get in my opinion, can’t even count how many playthroughs I’ve done and multiple 100-percent runs too, it’s still my all time favorite.

Metroid Dread is rapidly climbing the list as well, still haven’t finished it but so far it has surpassed everything I’ve played this year, including the spectacular AAA releases everybody including myself was mentioning as GOTY candidates.

Everybody's/Hot Shots Golf 5 before the online server got cut off. A lot of it was socialization in the game's lobbies but the game's really good too.

Deanington

Hands down Morrowind. The vast truly open world exploration, mystery, depth, sound/score, characters, uniqueness, play styles, lore, etc blew me away. I was absolutely hooked. It was such a leap in gaming for me. However, there is still a lot of games that I love and hold dear to my heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: stn

Kagey K

Banned
Just going by how many times I’ve replayed them, or hours sunk into them

Single Player
Mario 3
Super Mario World
Dead Rising

Multiplayer
Halo 3

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant nail it down to one. But I'd say this overall medley.

- EA NHL games
- Axelay
- Heroes of Might & Magic 3 Complete
- World at War and MW 2

GreatnessRD

I have more than one, but to be fair and play the game of this thread, I'd choose...

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

As I keep saying in thread after thread. This game was just built different! And with a tear in my eye, I am hopeful that one day it will return in all its glory with a wonderful remaster/remake

mekes

I dont have single favorite, its crazy to pick just one from the many types of games i played.

Same, I thought exactly the same thing. It gets very muddled for me when I start thinking over the games I have enjoyed on different consoles over different eras.

I don't want to cheat and post a list of games!

Hands down Morrowind. The vast truly open world exploration, mystery, depth, sound/score, characters, uniqueness, play styles, lore, etc blew me away. I was absolutely hooked. It was such a leap in gaming for me. However, there is still a lot of games that I love and hold dear to my heart.
It's on gamepass. Maybe I should check it out

MrFunSocks

Banned
No other game has ever made me feel the way PUBG does before in 30+ years of playing, and 4 years later it's still pretty much the only game I play, so I'm gonna go with that.

My heart still pounds in my chest and my hands still get sweaty in those final circles, even after 200+ chicken dinners. It's just pure gameplay, player vs player, at its best imo.

Ellery

The Last of Us Part II

66289a614933d2055f06088a8b9deb48ded6bf39.gifv

I am well aware that it is a polarizing and controversial game (especially on here), but even if you just look at the game from a completely unbiased technical and objective point of view it is quite obvious that this is the biggest achievement in video games that we have ever seen. The graphics in this game are out of this world and considering that it runs well on the 8 year old PS4 which has 1/10th the power of modern day consoles or even less compared to high end Graphic Cards and it still manages to be the best looking game ever released blows my mind. On top of that you have the best animations and systems (like the breathing system for each single character and enemy in the game that most people aren't even aware of). Moreover the attention to detail makes it feel like you play a game that was created in the Dragonball Room of Time. I would love to start a list here that includes stuff like shattered glass pieces sticking to the faces of enemies that you smashed with a bottle, bleeding through bandages, enemies adapting when they realize that your weapon is out of ammo, surrounding you or simple things like documents being wet when you go into the water and your backpack becomes wet, but there is not enough space for this here and there are plenty of videos that go into the depth of how many little mindblowing details are in this game.

Furthermore there is the gameplay, and I am normally a PC person who adamantly swears on Mouse and Keyboard as the best way to play any game that involves aiming, but good lord the gameplay in TLOU2 for a Third Person game just feels absolutely perfect and a gigantic step up compaerd to the previous game. It is grounded, but easy to control at the same time and immerses you extremely well into the world. The weapons feel great and moving around with Ellie, who is a lot more agile, just seems so right for this game.

I guess it goes without saying that the motion capture and voice acting in this game are completely unparalleled and we probably have to wait another 2-4 years until we see something of similar quality on modern hardware. The story is hard to swallow and the emotional components are on a completely new level that no other game has ever managed to make me feel like that.
The game is daring and doesn't fear to upset people, but it was required to push games as a medium which have become so stagnant.

As for the negatives I think it could have been a bit cleaner. It is hard to explain what I mean by this, but it is a 30+ hour game which is huge for a wide linear game that doesn't need to fill itself with boring open world areas and bland characters to do meaningless side quests for. It has a bit of jumping back and forth which could make it harder for people to follow who are not playing as much and coming back to this game after a few weeks or months instead of playing through it in 1-2 weeks. And it is a very dark game and some people are just not in the right place for it and they would need something that cheers them up instead. I can totally understand that, but not every game has to be a feelgood story and I am glad this game is the way it is and it made me realize that in many ways I could have become a victim to my own expectations if I weren't able to break that barrier and opened up a litte bit.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Dark Souls 1

It just hits all the right notes for me.
I was blown away by the build diversity, the lore and the cryptic storytelling.

I played it for more than 1000 hours across a dozen of playthrough. For basically 2 years, I played only this game.

And each time I come back to it, I am blown away again. It's just a perfect game for me.

Others Soulsborne are close one (especially Bloodborne). Recently Hollow Knight also reached this level for me.

Twisted Metal 2
Resident Evil 2 ( Original)- I loved remake more, but nostalgia.
Devil May Cry (2001)
MGS 2
Onimusha 2
Demon's Souls - both original and remake
Bioshock
God of War 2- GOW 2018 is better, but nostalgia

Last edited:

Ellery

Dark Souls 1

It just hits all the right notes for me.
I was blown away by the build diversity, the lore and the cryptic storytelling.

I played it for more than 1000 hours across a dozen of playthrough. For basically 2 years, I played only this game.

And each time I come back to it, I am blown away again. It's just a perfect game for me.

Others Soulsborne are close one (especially Bloodborne). Recently Hollow Knight also reached this level for me.

I recently cleared Hollow Knight too. Good damn what an amazing game and I easily put 45+ hours into it without ever getting bored and the second Nightmare King fight pumped me up a lot when the music started and the red letters popped on screen. Really well done and I am looking forward to Silksong now !

DelireMan7

I recently cleared Hollow Knight too. Good damn what an amazing game and I easily put 45+ hours into it without ever getting bored and the second Nightmare King fight pumped me up a lot when the music started and the red letters popped on screen. Really well done and I am looking forward to Silksong now !
I feel you. I did a 85+ h run yo try the platinum (but the 2 last trophies, especially the Hallownest Pantheon is too hardcore) and I loved it.
Amazing soundtrack, perfect gameplay, cryptic lore and storytelling, charming characters... A masterpiece.

subsmoke

That's a tough one. When I was growing up I loved the Mario series and Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island were my favorites back then. As a teenager Perfect Dark was my jam and in my early 20's Resistance Fall of Man and COD World at War was what I played the most. Then when Destiny came out I put a pretty good chunk of game time into that. I don't know if getting older has anything to do with it but since then I've pretty much been a nomad, playing one game and then moving on to the next soon after. It's actually been a long while since I've had a favorite game that I've stuck with for months or years.

If I had to pick an all time favorite, I'd say Perfect Dark. It was my favorite for years and I still go back to it sometimes. I really miss couch co op shooters like PD.

GDaYmV5.jpg

Played it as a kid and it’s still one of the best games I’ve ever played

-Great atmosphere/immersion
-Great graphics/performance (60fps on GC)
-Great arsenal of weapons that are all useful (except the flamethrower admittedly)
-Great lore and presentation that doesn’t get in the way of the gameplay if you don’t want it to.
-Great enemy designs and good bosses in general
-Great Final boss that is built up to well by all the lore logs.

This game felt like it was from the future when I played it as a kid, and I revisit it all the time even now.

Yerd

Based on the amount of time played, would probably be World of Warcraft.

But if I was going by the most amount of enjoyment it would be Tribes 1.

starsiegetribes.jpg

Top Bottom