• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your fanboy bias?

What are you?

• Playstation fanboy

Votes: 98 31.1%
  • Nintendo fanboy

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Xbox fanboy

Votes: 35 11.1%
  • PC fanboy

Votes: 61 19.4%
  • Apple fanboy

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World fanboy

Votes: 35 11.1%
  • Sega fanboy

Votes: 41 13.0%

• Total voters

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I guess I could take or leave either Microsoft or Sony, when it came down to it. Even pc gaming

But the one I can never walk away from
Is Nintendo. For some reason, I can’t NOT buy a Nintendo console on launch... the games are just so much better than anything else.

GymWolf

nothing really, i equally troll and bitch about everything i don't like.
ok maybe i troll a little more towards nintendo 😆 (strangely enough i was a nintendo fanboy when i was little during the snes-gc era)

in the last period i liked more sony games (or games that you can only play on playstation like yakuza before the pc porting) compared to N and M, but i don't feel like a fanboy, if sony make errors i'm there trolling and bashing with the x-boys.

i mean, if i have a gun pointed to my head while asked this question i guess i can consider myself a pc-sony guy at the moment...microsoft kinda losted me in the last gen but i was in love with xbox og and first years of x360 so...

Last edited:

Zannegan

I grew up switching hardware every generation. Once I was old enough to make my own money, I pretty much bought every console every gen (except that I missed out on XB1 somehow). I like 'em all for different reasons.

I do think Nintendo is the most entertaining to watch as an industry player though. You never know what the hell they're going to do next, or what's going to work for them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yo where the idort option at

This forum needs more idorts

8oaaNlJ.png

jts

...hate me...
Nintendo boi here. I grew up with Nintendo (and PlayStation, but Nintendo came first) and prefer their games, consoles and general wackiness is all.

My kid will likely follow on the same footsteps.

cireza

Banned
Sony sucks fanboy :
But I can't help it, I find that everything they do, all their hardware with the exception of PSP/Vita, and all their games are complete garbage. Their history, decisions, and how they handle their business also doesn't help. How can people support this shit honestly ?

Nintendo sucks fanboy :
Because honestly this company gets away with everything they do way too easily. Spamming automatic games and sequels, and only making a real effort once every 10 years. Not talking about the joke hardware. Their games could run 1080p@60fps on real hardware, they would not even need to make better graphics. Just offer some decent hardware already. And I really dislike them more with how they terminated the Wii U and stripped Zelda BotW of Gamepad features.

Microsoft fanboy ?
Not really, I don't validate every single thing they do, I don't play online and I mainly play Japanese games. I hate their "everything must be multiplayer" approach. Just make good single player games already. They bought a ton of studios that I have zero interest in honestly. But, they do a number of things that I find are good for the consumer overall, like their recent hardware efforts, gamepass and backward compat. They are by far the most consumer friendly company of the three, many things are extremely easy with them, like getting refunds after one hour of gaming. It is only a few clicks.
So I would be a Microsoft sucks less fanboy I guess.

There isn't a company that check all boxes for me anymore. Before, there was Sega. I absolutely loved everything they did, from great hardware, to great games, to great respect of the consumer (especially in Europe, with Sega Europe doing great things, SCART RGB bundled in all consoles, PAL optimized games, clean graphics great framerate philosophy etc...).
I still like the company as third party, but it is not as incredible as before.

Last edited:

FranXico

"I'm not a fanboy, but I hate Sony and Sony fanboys are the worst"

Don't even try to be reasonable people.

SEGA Fanboy here. Grew to love Playstation games. Will give Xbox games another shot this gen.

PocoJoe

Banned
I really liked thor 2, much better than 3 which got fucked up by Waikiki, he may be talented but his improvising style fucked up the characters and made hulk sound like a teenager

Geki-D

Banned
Sony myself, though I don't go into MS related threads to shitpost like a lot of people on GAF.

Speaking of which...
So much denial, it’s like I’m a fanboy of this (but not a fanboy.)

Time to have some self reflection.

lol Look who's fucking talking. Can't help but notice Kagey K has been going to work in all the Sony reveal related threads today. I sense another epic cry in the ban thread incoming.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I lean pretty heavily toward playstation. Not in some slavish fanboy way, I just came up with the PS3 and I grew accustomed to the exclusives. So when I think "games" I often immediately think of playstation.

That said I own a Xbox and enjoy the Game Pass a lot. I think I have like two years of it left or something like it. I also own a Switch but haven't touched it in a long while. I think it's great but there's nothing I want to play on it right now.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Sony sucks fanboy :
But I can't help it, I find that everything they do, all their hardware with the exception of PSP/Vita, and all their games are complete garbage. Their history, decisions, and how they handle their business also doesn't help. How can people support this shit honestly ?

Nintendo sucks fanboy :
Because honestly this company gets away with everything they do way too easily. Spamming automatic games and sequels, and only making a real effort once every 10 years. Not talking about the joke hardware. Their games could run 1080p@60fps on real hardware, they would not even need to make better graphics. Just offer some decent hardware already. And I really dislike them more with how they terminated the Wii U and stripped Zelda BotW of Gamepad features.
So:

PlayStation hardware is garbage except the handheld ones, those are cool. Home console hardware sux

Nintendo hardware sux because it's handheld hardware so it's not very powerful. They should make home console hardware instead.

:gamer logic:

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Nintendo hardware sux because it's handheld hardware so it's not very powerful.
Vita is a great piece of hardware and Switch is not that bad. Are you aware that every Nintendo console is not a handheld ?

Switch is not great as depending on the game you get poor results either in handheld either in TV mode etc...

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I am a spurned fanboy of so many things....now you can call me Mr. Cynicman.

But i still pull for the underdog, so from least hate to most, it goes Nintendo->Sony->Googl->apple->mcro$$$$$oft lol.

google/msft get bonus points for being part of the american military-industrial-surveillance state

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Not a hardware bias, but a genre one. I’ve played almost every Eastern and Western MMORPG in existence on every platform from mobile to PC. Just love the genre, even the shit that’s borderline abusive/ terrible like Aion. There’s something exceptionally tantalizing about a game that “never ends” (in theory).

GV82

All of the above no joke

PS -for 1st party games like Spider-man etc
Xbox - best at backwards compatibility this gen for and gamepass is neat
Nintendo- 1st party
Apple - i have iPhone (hand me down) & Ipad
Sega - because just look at their games, some of them are real good.
Thor Darkworld - eh, there’s been worse
Android- For my TV stuff

I guess that makes me either a non fanboy or a fanboy of all, i’m not brand loyal

Last edited:

Quasicat

Xbox and Switch, but only because of their controllers. I’ve never been a fan of the DualShock series of controllers which is why I buy PlayStations for their exclusives.

Gargus

Banned
None. I dont play hardware, I play games. And I'm not a Schill for some corporate company that doesn't give a shit about me as an individual. A console is just a means to play a game and wont make a game good or bad. It's stupid and closed minded to be a system fanboy. It shows you're weak minded and a companies advertising has worked on you.

With that said I am always partial to playstation and pc because they both provide the games I want to play and give me the experiences I want. PC is so open ended that gaming on it would take your lifetime. Playstation I like the hardware, like the controller as it suits me perfect, I like ps+, but most of all it has as playstation always has had which is exclusive games that I want to play and they have a lot.

Xbox has ok hardware but their interface layouts are too jumbled and built for kids with add. They also make very few games i actually want to play and half of those are pc also so owning a xbox is pointless since playstation and pc already have more games than I can play. Nintendo is ok but the switch is just a wasteland of higher priced versions of lesser quality version of games on other systems and all of their first party stuff is just the same old franchises over and over and over again. Xbox one s is boxed up in the store room, and I haven't turned on the switch in months.

Apple is for old people and dumb middle aged folks who dont like the freedom or have the intelligence to really be able to use their device and need a safe device that is so limited on what it can do no thought is needed. Or for kids and white women who just want other kids and white women to know they own a over priced, limited, under powered product that has a apple logo on it so they can be socially cool in their own minds not realizing they are one billions with the same thing and no one else actually cares.

Thor 2 just like thor 1 sucked balls

And sega was fucking great till they quit making hardware and I'd rob my own grandma to get money for a sega CD, Saturn, dreamcast mini.

MiguelItUp

DOOM AND QUAKE FANBOY

Really though, I don't really have a bias. My mind is open to all platforms and I'm ready to be woo'd, always. But my preference lies with PC over all. But even then, absolutely no bias. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Saruhashi

Banned
Nintendo and From Software fanboy here.

To be honest though I feel like some people are way too critical too much of the time.
It gets to the point where I wonder if some folks even really enjoy gaming at all.
Some folks really seem to take it personally when they aren't getting things exactly as they want them.

Having worked in retail when I was back in high school and college I totally understand that some customers are just angry, angry, people who will always find something to be outraged over. Anyone who has worked as a waiter will especially understand this, I think.

I tend to keep to the principal that if a company does something that sufficiently annoys me then I just won't buy their stuff.
Similarly, if I think their product is not worth the money I simply won't buy it. If I think it is worth it then I will buy.

For sure I am guilty of "defending" many aspects of the gaming industry but I always just think that people should vote with their wallets.

I’m more about games. I’d buy a PS5 for a proper Twisted Metal Black or Socom sequal in a heartbeat. Other than that I can play everything I want to play on my X1X. Same goes for Switch the moment a new Punch Out is dropped I’ll have one

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm playing on PC as my primary platform so most of the time I look down upon the riff raff squabble of console wars and laugh. I admit I do dabble in some console warring and shit flinging for a giggle now and then but ultimately consoles don't really matter to me.

seriously tho...all I care about is games. I'll buy whatever platform has the games I wanna play. If it's playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, pc...I don't care.

competition is good. I'm glad to see MS doing well and lighting a fire under Sony's ass. Hopefully they come out today with a lot of good stuff.

whatever side you're on doesn't matter. Buy the platform that makes most sense to you. We all play games here. Doesn't matter how or where we play them.

Silvawuff

Video game fangirl here. I'll play on any platform I want and don't consider any particular one to be better than the others -- it's just a matter of what controller or style of play suits me. If a game is good, I'll double dip and support the people who work hard to make a living off game production.

Carna

Banned
I'm a Sega fanboy (also Sonic Adventure era/Joypolis Stan) + Nintendo ip fanboy + third party Japanese Sony games fanboy + niche Microsoft games fanboy (but also Halo and Kotor)

drganon

I lean slightly towards sony due to them getting the games I like either exclusively or first for a while. Other than that I have no real love or loyalty for sony over nintendo or microsoft. They all piss me off in their own ways.

Sega Fanboy in the Console Wars of the early 90s... we lost hard... Then I switched over to the new empire of Sony-opia! And I still have my passport. But the Mustard race...this is the ideology I will die for, one day. Glorious, glorious Banana yellow mustard race!

Daring7

Neo Member
I’ve never gotten why Fanboys are a thing. Like, if you work for a certain company and get actual money to blow them off, then I get that.

But just picking a certain side and freaking out about it is really odd. Weird people.

platforms now matter less than ever. the fanboy era is ending.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I’ve never gotten why Fanboys are a thing. Like, if you work for a certain company and get actual money to blow them off, then I get that.

But just picking a certain side and freaking out about it is really odd. Weird people.

platforms now matter less than ever. the fanboy era is ending.

Never understood it either. It's some primal ass shit.

OK, I was sort of a Sega fanboy in the glorious 16 bit wars. But I played Super Nintendo constantly in friend's houses and I loved Mario World and DK Country. Nowadays I have a Super Nintendo as well (I couldn't afford both). So to me it was more of a justification of not being able to afford all of them so I had to love one more. But when I grew up I just started playing everything.

Top Bottom