• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your DREAM console?

Kokoloko85

Dreamcast 2 with full Sega virtual console store with all their old games and backwards compatibility with SegaCD/Saturn/Dreamcast games.
A good twin analogue with 8 buttons.

Or a PS6 with full Backwards compatibility lol

Gamecube 2 with full virtual console store and some backwards compatibility, DVD/CD/MiniCD/SD etc. Pro and Classic Gamecube controller. I personally dont care about portability but you can also do this with a Switch 2

A stronger Steamdeck with much better battery. Ill probably buy the Steamdeck 2 if it has better battery

Last edited:

Zannegan

Pretty much a more powerful steam deck, only the sides can detatch with like joycon and strap on and track as well as the index controllers, and that that has an optional lightweight plugin VR headset with a backpack/chestpad mount for "untethered" VR. Oh, and those joycon have to function well as individual controllers for 3D gameplay while horizontal or one-hand half controllers when vertical without becoming clunky and cluttered with buttons.

I'm not sure you can actually design and build one in this dimension, but you did say dream console.

More like "DREAM GAME", consoles do nothing without games.
Every console (from all gens) we already have can make a dream game.

Give me the food, not the plate.

What the switch is but way more powerful spec and has sony games. Also a 10 hour battery life and save synch with the main console thats plugged into my oled.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Carts, no patches for single player.
the only physical media i buy these days are Switch cartridges because i fucking love cartridges but it's infuriating that patches need to be installed on system memory and not the cartridges themselves. i don't mind patches but as soon as servers go then you're fucked. i hope Nintendo's next console, if it uses cartridges, fixes this and lets you save them to the cart. but i won't hold my breath cause it'll never happen.

Zannegan

the only physical media i buy these days are Switch cartridges because i fucking love cartridges but it's infuriating that patches need to be installed on system memory and not the cartridges themselves. i don't mind patches but as soon as servers go then you're fucked. i hope Nintendo's next console, if it uses cartridges, fixes this and lets you save them to the cart. but i won't hold my breath cause it'll never happen.
Probably too easy to get malware passed around like that, but in a better world it would be the dream.

ACESHIGH

Banned
A PS2 pro.

It would include, more power to display games PS1and PS2 in 1080p and smooth out frames up to their targets. An internal hard drive. HDMI out. PSN connection to download games and play online.
Also wireless controllers and region free. All for 150 USD.
From a software standpoint it would include, options to add bezels, CRT filters, anti aliasing, texture filtering, PXGP correction...

Basically a plug and play combination of duckstation and PCSX2 with none of the quirks and emulation errors PCSX2 has.

Caio

A true Home Console from Nintendo would be so welcome, I'm tired of their gimmicks...
this is just my dream, I'm not saying it is feasable and that it's coming. The reality is, we will continue to have "gimmicks" from Nintendo.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
PCs are not consoles,consoles are not PC's.
QYfcOxw.jpg
Yeah I also find it mysteriously why pc does not support a controller but only keyboard and mouse.

Ceadeus

Dreamcast 2.

Let me elaborate:

• Draconian quality control by the platform holder, no game releases in an unfinished/broken state or without conforming to certain min fps standards
  • Very limited online capabilities, certaintly NOT used to "patch" games after release
  • Cartridges or discs, games are read entirely from the physical media - no installations
  • SEGA style hardware design
  • Highly marketable price point, power is not that important (1080/60 is enough)
  • Lots of unique, exclusive software titles only playable on the device
  • MTX doesn't exist on this platform, no gambling or anything remotely similar (addons and dlc are OK)
  • Solution for light gun games on modern TV sets
Backward compatibility with the original DC games would be great as well !

ksdixon

I want a Wiiu concept done well. Basically, I'd like for a PS5 or XBSX that comes with a Wiiu - like controller with an increased range so I can use it as a handheld within my house or play on a big screen.

Me too, bud, me too. Weather it's a Vita2/PSP4, or a touch screen on DualSense Pro controller, Sony needs to address this area.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
One that let me have a huge freedom with it's OS, let me choose my resolutions, graphics effects, controllers, mods, emulators, the best frame rate and input lag I can get with its power, have infinite BC...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Very limited online capabilities, certaintly NOT used to "patch" games after release
To be entirely frank here, Sega back when they were still in the console business were one of the MAIN pushers of online, before Microsoft came along. If any console should have extensive online capabilities it should be a second dreamcast. Besides, i think the "Draconian quality control" thing already fixes the problem of shitty broken buggy games needing to be patched after release to play right somewhat.

I have quite a lot of ideas for online capability, though

- Mods are allowed on the storefront and can be played on PC or Console as long as it meets the minimum requirements
- Online games of any kind may NOT ship without a server browser feature of some sort/the ability to create custom servers. Matchmaking is not enough! Crossplay and the feature to disable it is also a requirement.
- A spiritual successor to Net Yaroze (think dreams) where people can create their own games and submit them to the storefront as long as they don't contain any copyrighted material SEGA doesn't own
- Relating to the previous point, Since this is a dreamcast 2, it'd be nice for SEGA to get up and officially endorse and advertise Sonic Amateur Games Expo as an official event they promote on their storefront each year, to bring the event's attention to a lot more people and to get quite a lot of people excited for indie, Sonic and Sega projects alike.
- A whole slew of SEGA IPs getting their own dedicated online games just for the sake of it (i.e Outrun Online, Phantasy Star Online, another Virtua Fighter game, Super Monkey Ball online, etc)
- minimal DRM when booting up digital copies. The only DRM there is, is a check to tie the game to the console upon first startup. Therefore piracy is easily prevented since if you distribute the game files to another console, they can't work (unless it's a save file) Afterwards, the game should require no connection to SEGA's servers to be able to play. Piracy is inevitable but you shouldn't screw over paying customers as well.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
The Switch but more powerful as the more these devices gravitate towards locked-down walled-garden DRM-infested PCs the less interesting they become to me.

MayauMiao

PCs are not consoles,consoles are not PC's.
I used to think that way but then consoles started to receive firmware updates almost every month like a PC, games requiring Day 1 patches like a PC, used PC parts to increase storage like a PC, having mid-life cycle like a PC, variation model like a PC, I start to wonder what exactly is a console nowadays.

spons

Gold Member
I used to think that way but then consoles started to receive firmware updates almost every month like a PC, games requiring Day 1 patches like a PC, used PC parts to increase storage like a PC, having mid-life cycle like a PC, variation model like a PC, I start to wonder what exactly is a console nowadays.
Anything Nintendo.

RetroAV

My PC is my "dream" playing device! But if it has to be a console, I'd be very intrigued with neo geo-like 2D visuals and sound (CD-quality is boring to me), and PS1 plus-like 3D capabilities capped at 240p/60fps (no interlacing). Console would include 2X, 3X, 4X, and 5X scaler w/scanline support for modern displays. Game sizes would be 8 GB MAX (which should be overkill at 240p). That's the only console I'd buy in this day and age because I have my PC for everything else! :messenger_beaming:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
CPU
16-bit 68000 chip running at 12 MHz with a 4 MHz Z80 chip helping out. It can handle 4,096 colors on screen at once with three simultaneous playfields.

Sound
13-channel Yamaha sound chip in stereo

Memory
7 Mb DRAM
512K of VRAM
64K of SRAM

Resolution
320 x 224

Color Palette

Max colors on screen

Max sprites on screen

Internal RAM
56 Mbits

CD
Single-speed drive with the ability to play audio CD’s

New PlayStation Portable, that runs PS4 games and properly emulates (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/PSVita).

Similar to the Vita but with L2/R2 buttons and no proprietary memory card.

That's it, it would greatly increase the value of PS+ and my PS library for me and would keep me on the PlayStation ecosystem for a long time, the PS5 alone ain't cutting it for me, really limited compared to PC in terms of access to your games now that we have options like the Steam Deck that should only get better.

Last edited:

splattered

DREAMcastTWO - co-developed with Microsoft high powered cloud enabled full SEGA catalogue BC :p Basically like XSX but Sega's version. Yes please.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The seriesX is pretty ideal, it has a great design, quiet, SSD, quick resume, very powerful. If i could improve one thing, it would be good if had a removable dust filter at the back, i jave my seriesX on a lot, is my daily driver and will use it watch films+tv, i didnt clean it for a while and it was really quite dusty, I think people should clean there series X at least 1 a month, it kinda acts like a vacuum, dust gets sucked in from the bottom vents and accumulates on the fan and elsewhere.

Same with PS5, its fast, has ssd, is powerful, but the design of the console is teribble(cosmetics+ stand) and it could be quieter, u can definitely hear it. Mine does not seem to collect dust, but I use it a lot less then my xsx, so that might change the more I use it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For me I don’t need backwards compatibility, PS5 is projected to be the greatest of all time it’s as pure of a console we’ve ever seen.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Lots of great ideas here! I've had dreams of portable consoles ever since the original Gameboy. Portable XBOX, portable PS2, and especially a portable XBOX 360. This is a rendering made way back in 2006, really caused a lot of buzz on the forums (Gametrailers forums). People thought it was real... I certainly did. The PSP and DS were super successful at the time.

Basically I want this but with physical media support. Games on carts or mini discs.

A portable XBOX. It's crazy actually... this is something that is possible to make economically now with a smart phone, controller, and lots of tech knowledge.

27cqecU.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A modern next gen system with old school Sega branding and games support. EA Sports will always be around, but those old Sega Sports during the Genesis and DC days were the best.

Sega also churned out more games too across different franchises. Now, it seems half their games are Sonic, Yakuza or Total Rome.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A handheld which is comfortable to play on and can play any game at minimun 60fps 4K (or 1440p, since it's a handheld...), has an OLED screen and it's compatible with all the games I own.

I tried acomplishing this with my PC + hacked Switch with Moonlight, but the streaming quality and input lag (even if very small) left a bit to be desired.

BlackTron

Before I opened the spoiler which said 90's Sega my answer was "Dreamcast 2". Then the next post was "Dreamcast 2".

Guess we're all in agreement around here.

Now that Nintendo has schooled everyone around a bit, I feel like a hybrid console in the spirit of 90's Sega would be my dream console. Basically the same way that Switch is a Game Boy, SNES, N64 and Wii mutated together, give me the Game Gear, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast mutated together. NOW THERE'S A GAME SYSTEM

Edit: P.S. it HAS to launch with a sick af reboot Sonic game or I'm out

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

A Universal console, 4K/60 with ray-tracing for everything. Black and minimalist design
Dolby atmos. Xbox, PS and Nintendo games.
5TB SSD drive at 10Gb/s.
Capable of reading any media.
All streaming plateformes supported.
Possibility to listen to your music while playing (like the 360)
Xbox series type of controller with haptic feedback and triggers. With a small touch screen.
No day one patched allowed. Nothing before 6 months. Complete games.
No micro-transactions.
A $30 gamepass with all Sony,Nintendo and MS games day one.

One can dream.

Top Bottom