• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is with the Japanese and the Hot Springs/Beach Day trope that permeates throughout all of anime/jrpgs?

We went to a Japanese beach (Kobe) on a 30c day, was some south american tourists swimming and rest was half naked fat men fishing and sunbathing.
Totally not exciting

also nearly all the hotsprings require specials swimsuits or being naked with same gender.
Taiwan had more relaxed rules, myself and my wife would just rent a luxury hotspring room for 40USD for a hour. A lot of Airbnb have apartments with hotspring spa's too but its always the stinky water from deep underground.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm not sure if you're serious, I guess you're probably exagerrating on purpose. But anyway, it's really not comparable, your argument would be fair if OP complained about too many animes being shonen for example, but that's not the case, he didn't criticize a genre, he criticized a specific scene being identical in many different medias.

It's a tad bit sad that this is one of the few people in this entire thread who gets it. The amount of people approaching this thread like I'm a "soyboy" complaining about girls in bikinis and fanservice in gaming, is disappointing. ResetEra may be full of retarded extremists, but behaving in the exact polar opposite as they do just makes you a different kind of annoying.

My problem was never the girls. It was the utter lack of creativity, and the sheer redundancy of the Hot Springs scene that are in so many Jrpgs. The writers don't attempt to be clever or creative. It's the same scene, played out the same way. If you had read the OP post instead of just the title, you would know that, but I get reading is hard.

Last edited:

Senhua

It's a tad bit sad that this is one of the few people in this entire thread who gets it. The amount of people approaching this thread like I'm a "soyboy" complaining about girls in bikinis and fanservice in gaming, is disappointing. ResetEra may be full of retarded extremists, but behaving in the exact polar opposite as they do just makes you a different kind of annoying.

My problem was never the girls. It was the utter lack of creativity, and the sheer redundancy of the Hot Springs scene that are in so many Jrpgs. The writers don't attempt to be clever or creative. It's the same scene, played out the same way. If you had read the OP post instead of just the title, you would know that, but I get reading is hard.
Sigh, okay I'm bite as I don't usually giving a free "knowledge" to ignorant "gaijin"

- East/SE Asian especially Japan addicted to : "youth" & "hot bath"
That's way why there are so many media coming that region descript that.

- Yes, usually near graduate (because this the moment considered one of the precious by us Eastener - I can explain why but please do a research yourself) from high school we do some trip which the destination varied
Combined that with the Japanese hot bath obsession and you know why.

- Now why the tropes? dunno about high schooler in the west but here this is common trope between teen's to try do some stupid thing like that (peeping the girls etc) at the trip because that one of the few times and maybe last "time" before graduate they can do things like that. And they purely just do for stupid fun, not really want to sexually harass the girls (AKA: no action, talk only).
High school friendship here usually considered one of the most pure moment in your life before you go to the "outside" world.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Sigh, okay I'm bite as I don't usually giving a free "knowledge" to ignorant "gaijin"

- East/SE Asian especially Japan addicted to : "youth" & "hot bath"
That's way why there are so many media coming that region descript that.

- Yes, usually near graduate from high school (because that the moment considered one of the precious by us Eastener - I can explain why but please do a research yourself) we do some trip which the destination varied
Combined that with the Japanese hot bath obsession and you know why.

- Now why the tropes? dunno about high schooler in the west but here this is common trope between teen's to try do some stupid thing like that (peeping the girls etc) at the trip because that one of the few times and maybe last "time" before graduate they can do things like that. And they purely just do for stupid fun, not really want to sexually harass the girls (AKA: no action, talk only).
High school friendship here usually considered one of the most pure moment in your life before you go to the "outside" world.

See I had a somewhat of a loose understanding of this beforehand. That the workplace culture in Japan is basically a living hell (which is why I always thought they should do a Persona game with young adults in the workplace, and deal with the themes of escapism and adulthood feeling like a prison, but I'm an ignorant Westerner so what do I know?) and that those high school years are precious. But it was just an observation I had of those "scenes" in Jrpgs and Anime, where they always playing out the exact same way without ever making any attempts to be clever or subvert expectations.

Whatever the case, thank you for your well thought out response.

AMSCD

I asked my girlfriend who is Japanese. She says it's because people want to see the characters in bathing suits. She asked me: "don't you want to see them in bathing suits? They're sexy." Can't argue with that.

Guilty_AI

Where are the pictures in this thread?
yo-kazuma-konosuba.gif

It's in games and anime because it's a popular cliché. It's fine if you don't like it, by all means skip it, but both fans and creators love that kinda stuff.

Senhua

That the workplace culture in Japan is basically a living hell (which is why I always thought they should do a Persona game with young adults in the workplace, and deal with the themes of escapism and adulthood feeling like a prison)
Maybe you can sell this to the west but I'm not sure it's worked for Japan/Asia because:
Of this.
Take an example of Persona 5.
The mindset is: "I'm not sure would trust even of my closest workplace/college friends enough for my "secret identity" than my high school one".
As here it's believed that any friendship beyond high school is usually considered loaded with some hidden motive/interest (not pure). Even you high school friend not always ready available for you anymore as their already have their own life / problems.
Maybe it can be done solo or with lover/wife but certainly not friends.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
What’s wrong with hot springs, nearly every Japanese game or anime has them and I think it’s fine. It’s so relaxing with friends, it’s a lot of fun when there is a girl you like and they are in the springs as well. There seems to be an aspect of puberty, maturity, temptation, themes surrounding it.

Most western culture is about banging right away or being cheated on and woke stuff.

I prefer Japanese culture more than Western culture. Where a Japanese head would cut their salary to have the company survive, western culture means an american ceo can cause the company to fail and jump with a golden parachute.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
OP just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but hot springs are a huge part of it. It's not like it is in America where you can get laid by being an asshole. If you want to get laid in Japan, you need to signal your interest by ogling her almost-naked body, and the only way to achieve that is by bathing in a hot spring.

What this means is the japanese women, after hearing about this, will not want to sleep with OP, nor will they respond to any of his advances. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but OP has cock blocked himself in an entire market with this move.

OP, publicly apologize and delete your post or you can’t kiss your virginity goodbye.

Top Bottom