• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is This Weird Ghosting Effect In Games? (PC)

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I've gotten back into PC gaming within the past year or so (please pardon my noobness) and I've notice these weird video effects that drive me insane. I don't know what it is, maybe some kind of developer technique that helps run the game smoothleyt. Every time I notice it, it takes me out of the immersion of the game.

Yesterday I was playing Quake II RTX and I see it all the time. It's a weird ghosting like effect. I can't stand it. Its not just in dark places or when I switch the gun. It happens when i turn really fast or I can notice in other games deep in the distance. I don't know what it is, I just want to disable it.

I notice it in other games as well such as Amid Evil, Cyberpunk 2077, even a bit on Doom 2016.

Is there a way to disable it??

My current specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
32gig RAM
3090 RTX

Thanks!!

Games have yet to be fully compatible with raytracing. If a game was not built from ground up with ray tracing in mind, after effects will cause that issue in older games especially. If you have it in other games with RT disabled, feel free to show us, but in your example it's 100% rt.

Armorian

Banned
This is the correct answer, has nothing to do with raytracing as it happens on games without it. Not susceptible myself but I have noticed ghosting occasionally when playing BF1 on PS4, which I don't see on the PC version as I have TAA turned off.

Exactly and pretty much every game is using it now. On PC at least you can change it or disable but every other aa method is inferior.

Edit: In quake it actually could be RT GI artifact, but in most games it's TAA.

Last edited:
This is the correct answer, has nothing to do with raytracing as it happens on games without it. Not susceptible myself but I have noticed ghosting occasionally when playing BF1 on PS4, which I don't see on the PC version as I have TAA turned off.

Nah thats a different type of blur. with TAA everything is blurry, not just weapon movement, but everything that has an edge. Its just how it works. In OP's example its RT.

Nah thats a different type of blur. with TAA everything is blurry, not just weapon movement, but everything that has an edge. Its just how it works. In OP's example its RT.

It's not blur, it's ghosting due to TAA using information from previous frames. OP clearly mentions games as well that don't have any raytracing at all, but implement some form of TTA. It's not RT

Last edited:
Exactly and pretty much every game is using it now. On PC at least you can change it or disable but every other aa method is inferior.

Edit: In quake it actually could be RT GI artifact, but in most games it's TAA.
Really every other AA method is superior compared to TAA in terms of sharpness and lack of artifacts.

But not every TAA is equal, some are pretty ok like insomniac's.

To this day Smaa 1x is the best method in terms of cost + sharpness. Not much point in Msaa anymore.

Last edited:

acm2000

play about with the SSR settings, that was culprit in cp2077

potentially could also be a DLSS issue if you are using that.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Really every other AA method is superior compared to TAA in terms of sharpness and lack of artifacts.

But not every TAA is equal, some are pretty ok like insomniac's.

To this day Smaa 1x is the best method in terms of cost + sharpness. Not much point in Msaa anymore.

SMAA, FXAA (and stuff, MSAA don't work in modern engines) etc. are miles behind TAA in terms of reducing jaggies, but yes in terms of sharpness they are much superior and don't produce ghosting.

DLSS can eliminate or very much reduce ghosting in games that support it (at least in this one magic 2.2 version file).

SomeGit

The quake issue is the temporal denoiser for RT that Quake 2 RTX uses, specifically A-SVGF (Adaptive Spatio-Temporal Variance Guided Filtering), it creates some temporal lag especially in darker scenes, but eliminates the noise associated with RT.
Minecraft RTX is even worse, which uses the older SVGF.

Last edited:
SMAA, FXAA (and stuff, MSAA don't work in modern engines) etc. are miles behind TAA in terms of reducing jaggies, but yes in terms of sharpness they are much superior and don't produce ghosting.

DLSS can eliminate or very much reduce ghosting in games that support it (at least in this one magic 2.2 version file).
Smaa > mlaa >>> fxaa

But my thinking is, because everything switched to TAA, the research on improving simple post processing methods halted. Who knows what could be possible if we stayed on that path.

In terms of some TAA techniques, it’s actually preferable to have none. But I agree with the start of temporal reconstruction (particularly insomniac’s method) and AI techniques it’s gotten hugely better.

LordOfChaos

Using my 1080p Samsung TV

Yeah that might just be your screen then. 1080p Samsung TV doesn't tell us enough, but I remember thinking games had a lot more motion blur than they actually did when going from an older DLP era TV to a modern 4K one with low lag (TCL 5 series)

What's the full model number?

Also just, 3090 RTX is so overkill for a 1080p TV, a gaming monitor sounds like your next investment

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Dude, we already told you in the topic...if you bothered reading and not skimping through. In your Quake example, raytracing is the issue. It cant fuckign be a monitor issue if we see it as well in your video. Jesus.
I know myself it not the monitor either. I still wanted to try to see if disabling TTA worked. I'm not too savy in this technical stuff. No need to have a cow.

Dude, we already told you in the topic...if you bothered reading and not skimping through. In your Quake example, raytracing is the issue. It cant fuckign be a monitor issue if we see it as well in your video. Jesus.
This. RT still has a long road ahead, too demanding. Due to very limited amount of rays being casted you get such artifacts. In some games it's more noticeable than others.

Here's a good example: [less rays = more pronounced artifacts]

Reizo Ryuu

its your tv with its slow response time causing this , i had the same problem when i used my pc with my 1080p samsung tv
wait...you think video recordings, record the hardware response times of his monitor?
Bruv everyone in here can see the same shit, it's not his monitor or anyone else's.

Using my 1080p Samsung TV
Without looking at the games on the TV itself, I can tell you that all sample and hold displays (lcd, oled) all have inherent blur due to them having to wait on the next frame, so that’s what you may be seeing.

…I wrote all that and then I actually watched the video ; seems like a graphics card problem. Not your display or settings or anything.

Try to reinstall drivers if you haven’t already. Worst case rma your card, but I get you might be waiting a while these days.

NVM I guess it’s ray tracing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's the RT. Full path tracing just can't be done with enough rays to be noiseless yet, and the denoiser is what causes this.

People saying it's his monitor need to go get their brains checked up. We wouldn't see it in his direct feed video if that was the case, lol.

This. RT still has a long road ahead, too demanding. Due to very limited amount of rays being casted you get such artifacts. In some games it's more noticeable than others.

Here's a good example: [less rays = more pronounced artifacts]

Isn't it funny that Digital Foundry didn't even mention this ugly artifact? Digital Foundry has gotten really sloppy lately. They used to pick apart everything.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Isn't it funny that Digital Foundry didn't even mention this ugly artifact? Digital Foundry has gotten really sloppy lately. They used to pick apart everything.

In their initial tech review or in their full tech analysis they havent published yet that they said they were working on?

TonyK

Control with RT (graphics mode) in PS5 does that in some lighting conditions. Without RT I didn't notice it. So maybe, as people says, it's related to RT.

Top Bottom