• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

Pejo

Gold Member
I just found out the truth behind a scary as fuck incident that happened almost a year ago to me.

I was laying in bed one night around 2-3AM, I couldn't tell if it was windy from inside or not, and my neighbor's house on one side of my property is fairly close to the gate on my fence. I heard the gate clacking which is usually a sign that the landscapers didn't latch it correctly (or at all). Instead of pissing off my neighbors and letting it bug me all night while I'm trying to sleep, I threw on some slippers and went out to latch the gate. It was an exceptionally dark night (new moon or close to it) and I have a light on a motion censor in my back yard that shuts off ridiculously quickly, like 15~ seconds after it doesn't detect motion in its range.

Anyways, I didn't have a flashlight or anything since it's a short walk to the gate from my back door. I go over and look at the gate and noticed it's latched 100% normally, and what's stranger is that there was no wind hitting that part of my yard. On the opposite side of the yard there's another gate that connects my yard to my other neighbor's yard, which I keep double latched most times. While I'm examining the gate that I'm standing in front of, I hear that other gate shake and rattle like somebody was on the other side trying to kick it or otherwise force it open. It sounded so aggressive and forceful, like it was trying to open the gate quickly and attack or something (at least in my mind). I froze for a second, not really grasping what was going on in the moment, then decide to walk over and have a look. As I got a little closer, I saw something quickly disappear out of sight into my neighbor's yard. It looked about 6~ inches taller than the fence, which is a about a 7 foot fence. I can't see over it when I'm standing on the ground. It appeared to have an almost orange color, but again the lighting was bad so it was hard to tell.

Anyways, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that could have been. The fence was too tall for it to be a dog, and the gate clacking was too forceful to be a cat or something like that. I thought maybe a deer got into his yard and tried (and failed) jumping the fence, but we haven't ever seen a deer anywhere near my property, as I live in a pretty developed area. I was good and freaked out, and that prompted me to buy an LED flashlight and a baseball bat, just to be better prepared next time since I felt totally defenseless the night this happened.

Anyways, fast forward to yesterday. I was doing some dishes in the sink that faces the back yard in the afternoon, plenty of daylight. I look up because I heard a loud rattle in the back yard, the same thing I heard that night and
Saw a big fat fucking turkey like the kind you'd see in a thanksgiving play flying up and sitting its hefty ass right on the top of my gate, before it looked at me and did a "gobblegobblegobble". Looked similar to this one:
iu

I can't lie, I was a bit disappointed, I was nearly convinced I saw aliens or a skinwalker or something, only for everything to suddenly fall into place. Still gave me plenty of heebie-jeebies for the past year though.

I just found out the truth behind a scary as fuck incident that happened almost a year ago to me.

I was laying in bed one night around 2-3AM, I couldn't tell if it was windy from inside or not, and my neighbor's house on one side of my property is fairly close to the gate on my fence. I heard the gate clacking which is usually a sign that the landscapers didn't latch it correctly (or at all). Instead of pissing off my neighbors and letting it bug me all night while I'm trying to sleep, I threw on some slippers and went out to latch the gate. It was an exceptionally dark night (new moon or close to it) and I have a light on a motion censor in my back yard that shuts off ridiculously quickly, like 15~ seconds after it doesn't detect motion in its range.

Anyways, I didn't have a flashlight or anything since it's a short walk to the gate from my back door. I go over and look at the gate and noticed it's latched 100% normally, and what's stranger is that there was no wind hitting that part of my yard. On the opposite side of the yard there's another gate that connects my yard to my other neighbor's yard, which I keep double latched most times. While I'm examining the gate that I'm standing in front of, I hear that other gate shake and rattle like somebody was on the other side trying to kick it or otherwise force it open. It sounded so aggressive and forceful, like it was trying to open the gate quickly and attack or something (at least in my mind). I froze for a second, not really grasping what was going on in the moment, then decide to walk over and have a look. As I got a little closer, I saw something quickly disappear out of sight into my neighbor's yard. It looked about 6~ inches taller than the fence, which is a about a 7 foot fence. I can't see over it when I'm standing on the ground. It appeared to have an almost orange color, but again the lighting was bad so it was hard to tell.

Anyways, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that could have been. The fence was too tall for it to be a dog, and the gate clacking was too forceful to be a cat or something like that. I thought maybe a deer got into his yard and tried (and failed) jumping the fence, but we haven't ever seen a deer anywhere near my property, as I live in a pretty developed area. I was good and freaked out, and that prompted me to buy an LED flashlight and a baseball bat, just to be better prepared next time since I felt totally defenseless the night this happened.

Anyways, fast forward to yesterday. I was doing some dishes in the sink that faces the back yard in the afternoon, plenty of daylight. I look up because I heard a loud rattle in the back yard, the same thing I heard that night and
Saw a big fat fucking turkey like the kind you'd see in a thanksgiving play flying up and sitting its hefty ass right on the top of my gate, before it looked at me and did a "gobblegobblegobble". Looked similar to this one:
iu

I can't lie, I was a bit disappointed, I was nearly convinced I saw aliens or a skinwalker or something, only for everything to suddenly fall into place. Still gave me plenty of heebie-jeebies for the past year though.
Dude that is a wild-ass story lol. With all that even if I later saw the turkey I'd still be like, yeah that was a diversion by the aliens 😂 Great story. I was captivated.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
dodging an IRA bomb by 30 minutes... and being very close to one of the July 7th bombings in London.
Not the one in Canary Wharf?

I was there that day decided to leave early and I’m sure that was the station I would use. And it got bombed.

The was doing a work experience at Thames water that week. For my college. It was a Friday and I was on my last day with my mate. we were sent home early but I wanted to look around the area then leave for later that evening. All I remember is at one time having a weird urge to get the hell home. It felt like if you offered me a billion pounds to stay with no catch. I wouldn’t take it. I just had to get home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom