• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the scariest game you have played?

Scariest?

• Alien: Isolation

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Dead Space 2

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Eternal Darkness

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Fatal Frame II

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Fatal Frame III

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Outlast

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • P.T

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • REmake

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • REmake 2

• Resident Evil 7

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Silent Hill 3

• Siren Series

• SOMA

• Subnautica

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • The Evil Within

• Demon's Souls

• Fatal Frame

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Visage

• Total voters

Kev Kev

220px-TLOU_P2_Box_Art_2.png
Oh My God Reaction GIF

I lived for more than ten years in a small town, everyone knew each other so we were togheter all the time and i was addicted to weed, which is illegal in my country. The "drug dealers" were my friends.
jumin n screamin like girls , darn , glad they your friends,.. what crew was they in the warriors? the girly two shoe killer bronxers?

Vick

jumin n screamin like girls , darn , glad they your friends,.. what crew was they in the warriors? the girly two shoe killer bronxers?
Sorry, not fluent enough to understand your joke.

Is it somehow out of the ordinary to have friends with weed where you live?

Sorry, not fluent enough to understand your joke.

Is it somehow out of the ordinary to have friends with weed where you live?
nope , to the drug dealers defence , many are scared of spiders crawling cross the floor, i mean , elephants are scared of mice..... have a nice day.. stay , umm happy.

Rickyiez

PT then Fatal Frame 2 then Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill doesn't have that much jump scares but it's really disturbing and dealing horror physiologically.

Last edited:
-Silent Hill 2 for the atmosphere.
-Soma because of the brief moment a mutated angler fish chases you in the oceanic trench.
-The Facehuggers in AvP1999 terrified me as a child. Everytime I heard the squishing noise they make I would freeze.
-The Venom level in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Games or movies don’t really scare me, but for some reason, P.T. was quite tense at some parts. Maybe it was the sound design or not knowing what to expect. Getting grabbed from behind in the dark with surround sound blasting was an unforgettable experience.

Honorable mention: Arcade version of Splatterhouse. Played it in the arcade and there was just something creepy about it back in the day and me being a kid probably contributed to the creepiness as well.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
RE7 not for the game itself, just by way of it being in VR and how the sense of presence ups the ante.

In terms of atmosphere it'd be the OG Resident Evil or Silent Hill Games.

But for sheer uneasiness, P.T.

Saying that, I don't really play a lot of scary stuff.

Vick

So, PT is winning.

And I have no idea what it is. Surely not Planescape Torment?

It's that P.T. demo from a few years ago by Kojima.
Not really a demo though. It's a stand alone playable teaser with little in common with the actual, cancelled, game.

For some reason, people kept calling it Silent Hill.
WTIeuIL.gif

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned

Not really a demo though. It's a stand alone playable teaser with little in common with the actual, cancelled, game.

WTIeuIL.gif

I was being sarcastic.
Konami yeeting his ass from the company and canning the title was a good thing.

Orpheum

PT was skincrawling at first but the aame hallway can only do so much.... Would have loved to see the full game.

My choice is Amnesia the dark descent. Played it with a friend and we shat ourselves

MiguelItUp

Silent Hill 2 creeped me out more than anything else did, especially at the time. I played it not long after it launched and I was like... 13/14 at the time? Stuck with me forever. The content was a lot heavier than I was expecting with a video game, especially at that time.

Resident Evil 7 had some moments where I could feel myself holding back and not wanting to move forward, even if it was just for a bit.

Alien Isolation had that same feeling of tension, but throughout the entire experience. Then somehow at the end, they were able to exasperate it to a degree that I wasn't expecting whatsoever.

Jump scares are stupid and cheap, I wouldn't classify those as "scary", at least not the scary I'm interested in.

Hugare

Where's DOOM 3 ? lol

I love Alien Isolation, and PT was tense, but it is Outlast.

The game is very flawed, but I shat bricks while playing. Cheap jumpscares, but effective. Those damn chases made my heart race

And its kinda long. When I finished the game, I felt relieved.

Felt the same with A: Isolation, but it was too long and flamethrower made the game less scary.

sublimit

Banned
I saw the poll and was thinking "This game isn't THAT obscure." Glad to see it was the first mentioned. And absolutely.
Yet sadly judging by the poll you see that 3rd person horror with unique gameplay and subtle atmosphere are losing ground by first person jump scare fests designed to appeal to Twitch streamers.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
P.T. is not a game. It's very scary, but it's a teaser. It says right in the title for God's sake...

Aldynes

Terrifying stuff. Enemies were invisible and you had to kill them using a sound detector. Nerve-wracking.
Funny thing : (from wiki) Enemy Zero began life on Sony's PlayStation. Its unveiling at the 1996 PlayStation Expo in Tokyo was described by journalists as the highlight of the show.[8] Irritated by Sony's failure to meet even a third of preorders for the PlayStation version of D (and to a lesser extent, their policy that all marketing for third party games had to be approved by them[4]), at a press conference during the expo Kenji Eno made a shocking move. Eno showed a preview of Enemy Zero. At the end of the clip the PlayStation logo appeared, but slowly transitioned into the Sega Saturn logo, indicating that the game would now be a Saturn exclusive.

SONY must have been pretty SCARED by the game but not for the same reasons!
Eno was such a boss

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes, let’s leave out the runaway winner of the poll. Fucking genius.
Well.. the bulk of posters here don't even understand that scary as a concept is subjective.. So yeah. Who fucking cares who "wins" It's a question for this community that would ideally inspire folks to talk about their respective inner fears manifesting in games so therefore a discussion could take place. Exploring this broad concept and reading about experiences that yourself wouldn't think about having, ect Is fascinating in the least. Instead it's developed into a symbolic dick size contest. Such a shame. But to be expected.

Sausy1987

Where's DOOM 3 ? lol

I love Alien Isolation, and PT was tense, but it is Outlast.

The game is very flawed, but I shat bricks while playing. Cheap jumpscares, but effective. Those damn chases made my heart race

And its kinda long. When I finished the game, I felt relieved.

Felt the same with A: Isolation, but it was too long and flamethrower made the game less scary.
Yup outlast . Relieved finish it . Must play 2

Chronos24

Outlast scared the living dog shit out of me not gonna lie so it takes the first spot for me. RE7 was great in VR as well. Fatal frame I'd say a close 3rd. I was a bit younger then and played it on the OG Xbox. Graphically back then that was one of the best.

FeldMonster

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I am still haunted by its grotesque art style and suffer PTSD from Waggle. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Though not as scary as Wind Waker, I was so afraid that the artstyle would infect me, that I dared not play it. Like a nightmare about the T-virus coming true.

Top Bottom