• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the one game that Microsoft can release for the XB Series X that would convinced a Playstation fanboy to purchase a XSX?

Sweep14

One thing s sure imho. There will be no mass conversion. It's too late. The games were set this gen. With an extensive back compatibility feature, nobody will abandon his digital/physical library. And with all MS games being on PC, I can't see any reason to buy an xbox. My opinion.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am a Playstation fan. I've owned everything Playstation since the PS1, and still have all they systems leading up to the PS4 Pro. The only XB system that I have ever owned is the XB 360 which ,incidentally, my wife and I are using everyday for some exercise while playing Dance Central 2.

For me, since I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, if Microsoft launch the XSX with a remake of KOTOR (I, II or both) or any new Star Wars rpg game, that will probably be the only exclusive game that would convinced me to be a day-one purchaser of the XSX. I will always take functions over form, and so in this case I am already a fan of what the XSX's hardware team has done with the system and it's tower form to maximize heat management. My White Destiny 2 PS4 Pro sounds like a jet is taking off whenever I'm in the Call of Duty Modern Warfare menu screen, which I just can't stand it anymore. Sony is known for releasing slick and compact looking systems, something that the Japanese consumers have always coveted. But with the PS4 Pro, it was clear to me that Sony had prioritized form over function during its development. I can't wait to see what the PS5 will look like. Hopefully, the PS5 will be able to handle all that heat from the 2.26 GHz GPU, so that I can pick it up day-1 as well. If not, then I'll wait a year or so until all the hardware kinks are worked out.

So if you have always owned a Playstation, and never have owned a XBox, which launch game would convince you to finally pickup that XB Series X, and enjoy all the latest games as well as all the games you had missed from all the previous generations? Veteran XB owners please feel free to add your voice to the conversation.

I own all consoles but Xbox is always a late second option and going into next Gen might not get it at all.

The game that would get me in would maybe be "Fable" and it has to be good. I'm a sucker for a good RPG.

while i’m going to test FS on my PC. This can’t be really called a “game”. It’s not for the masses and i doubt the majority will buy a Xbox for it. It’s a sim you want to play on pc not console. It’s kinda niche and mostly a return for hardcore FS fans.
Its not for the masses, but there are alot of people who really like it. Pilots, aviators, enthusiasts etc.
Its something that you just won't be able to ever get on PS. So if you really want it, it's PC or XSX. And if you do the economics, the cheapest way to play it is on XSX.

pasterpl

If you are a PS fan, an avid gamer, and have enough money to buy both systems, why not go PC instead of XSX? You can play all the Xbox games on it. Having a gaming PC hooked up to a big screen TV is awesome. Sure a console is typically smaller and slightly more convenient if you like to shut things off.

i have got PS4pro, xbonex and gaming pc and cannot remember last time I have played a game on my pc other than some rts titles and some vr, for me pc offers completely different experience. I play mostly on xbox as it offer superior 3rd party games and PS4 is used for walking simulators and wipeout ;)

PocoJoe

Banned
Short answer: None. Xbox can do or offer nothing to make it appealing.

Long answer of what MS should do to make me but Xsex as only system (I assume you meant that getting it instead of PS5):

1) price 50-100€
2) compatible with all PS5 games
3) comes with PlayStation controller

Even Tom Cruise could not beat this impossible mission :messenger_beaming:

For second system next to PS5:

1) price 150-250€
2) controller with symmetrical sticks (even as addon if not in the box, I just hate xbox controller ergonomy)

3) Exclusives: Something completely different than what they offer now, Forza, halo, Gears dont interest me in the mildlest way. So something innovative, huge RPG worlds, maybe Fable. Maybe star citizen if it is ever done + DayZ kind of game with huge open worlds to coop, but without the player killing madness.

There isnt just 1 exclusive that they could make to make it appealing to me, they would have to make like 10-20+ real exclusives that are something else than their current lineup style of games.

Xbox isn't just interesting as brand, it is too american and too messy. It tries to be too much, aka not just purely a gaming console. They spread their game ecosystem too thin (support PC + one + xsex + gamepass) and it hurts the variety of games when devs make simpler games, mainly because of the gamepass I think

(I have owned and still own OG + 360, but mainly from collector standpoint as I have seen them on flee markets. Already sold 90% of games I had, maybe 100-150 titles as I just never played any of them. They are usually 0.5 - 2€ at flee market because they arent popular so I collected them while looking for nintendo/sony games. on 360 I played maybe 10-20h total and on OG even less. I skipped PS3 too so that gen werent just for me)

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
None. I can play them on PC.
This, but for me mainly, if MS actually started to make decent games, I'd rather just get an XCloud sub and stream to my TV seeing as they've already said there'd be a Samsung app and my internet is perfectly capable of 4K streaming . That's sort of the thing with MS' planned day & date exclusives on their streaming platform, actually buying a XSX just seems futile.

Ogbert

I’ve said it on a number of occasions, but Destiny has no business being on a Sony console.

Bungie was MS’ Naughty Dog. Their games defined XBox.

It was the console’s identity and they got away.

Skyfox

• Ridge racer
  • Street fighter VI
  • Half life 3
  • They should have had Ff7R. That was a stupid fucking mistake.
  • Splinter Cell
  • Prince of Persia
  • Tomb raider featuring cute (not butch) Lara Croft
  • Jurassic Park Isolation
  • Hitman 3
  • Next David Cage game
  • Metal Gear lol
  • Mirrors Edge 3
  • Alan Wake 2
  • New classic Sonic game (like generations and forces)
  • Tony Hawks
  • Remedy Max Payne 4
  • Split second 2

RCU005

The thing about Sony is that the games they announce they are must play and cover many genres. Think back to any trailer for a first party exclusive, and most of them you get a feeling of wanting to play it. It's like how you watch a trailer for a movie and you want to watch it.

If Microsoft start making games like that, people will want to play them, and won't matter if they are PS fanboys or not.

I'm very excited for Microsoft this gen, because they are in a literal blank slate, and they have everything to win right now. They can truly deliver many must-play games.

I want Banjo-Kazooie. In a perfect world, they would REMAKE from the ground up 1 and 2, and announce a new one, that is similar but bigger, better, and innovate without going far from the formula that makes it great.

Vroadstar

None, no need for Xbox, when I can play them on my PC.
This gen i have pro, switch and pc so everything is covered. Will be doing the same next gen.

No idea specifically, they haven't released one single game this last generation that is a system seller for me. But if they would announce an insanely awesome exclusive, sure I would be interested. I have no idea what that could be though.

Maybe a sequel to some forgotten Sega RPG.. Or something.

Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

Fanboys are fanboys and cannot be turned, they are a lost cause. They buy the brand, not the game.
The good thing is that usually people grow out of it. Now it's like the companies are MY fanboys and need get MY attention to get what they want.
That's just a way better feeling than having to defend shitty products in front of other shitty products.

Fanboys are too distracted by "why is my choice superior" to think about "what would I actually have wanted?".
Consumerism is strange.

Ellery

Okay so obviously it would need to be strictly Xbox Series X exclusive and no chance of ever coming to PC or PS5.

Then it would need to be more than 1 game or a new game that is as good as the games I consider to be genuine masterpieces. It is really hard to say "okay if XXX was on Xbox Series X then I would buy one", because the degree to which this game has to be absolutely phenomenal is so high that I doubt it can be reached with just throwing money at the problem. It would need to be as good as Final Fantasy VIII, Ocarina of Time, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Dark Souls, The Last of Us or God of War (2018).

Maybe if they had a new Mass Effect game that was even better than Mass Effect 2 or a full exclusive GTA 6 that is better than V, Vice City and San Andreas?

cormack12

Gold Member
With no announced new IP's, you just have to sort of make guesses. I'm pretty much in the 'wait and see' camp with a PS5 being default at the moment. For me to change, I imagine

1. Cheaper price by roughly £65+
2. Make Gears more like 1/2 again, used to love horde mode
3. Fable
4. PGR
5. Getting an exclusive like CS:GO or Val0rant would be excellent for the platform
6. An actual remote play/off screen functionality that doesn't suck ass

phil_t98

#SonyToo
With no announced new IP's, you just have to sort of make guesses. I'm pretty much in the 'wait and see' camp with a PS5 being default at the moment. For me to change, I imagine

1. Cheaper price by roughly £65+
2. Make Gears more like 1/2 again, used to love horde mode
3. Fable
4. PGR
5. Getting an exclusive like CS:GO or Val0rant would be excellent for the platform
6. An actual remote play/off screen functionality that doesn't suck ass

in terms of racing games they should release horizon then Forza proper and then PGR they have a racing game out every year and its a three year cycle for each game

ZywyPL

Banned
Open-world walking sim with little/slow gameplay, but lots of scripts, cut-scenes and QTEs instead, that takes place after humanity collapsed, where you babysit a young boy/girl/bike. And pretty graphics, it has to have pretty graphics!

martino

If your a fan of games u need all consoles
if you count pc as a console, yes. if not, no.
we need ms games but imo it's a good thing we don't need a console to play them.

i wish we could get everything on pc and let the childs do the box war.
this dream seems nearer and nearer with production costs that never stop to grow.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

One game isnt enough to convert the masses. Not even Halo could do it and at it's peak it was a huge thing to hold over Sony's head.

Exactly right.

The problem, since about 2009 ish, is that Xbox really only offers a handful of "big" games that PlayStation gamers can't otherwise play and that handful is heavily weighted to three franchises. If you aren't fussed about Halo/Gears/Forza then there's not that much to make you jump. I easily went in last gen on the Xbox360 as the early lineup was great, but by 2010 it was gathering dust and I switched to PS3.

My rule of thumb is that if I'm going to spend £300+ (probably more once you think extra controllers, etc) on additional consoles over my primary then I need there to be 10+ games that I can't otherwise play that I really want to play. This is why I waited 2 years to buy a Switch and have never picked up an Xbox One - despite having had both previous consoles and having looked at some great XBO deals many times.

As it stands today, as we near the end of the generation, I have probably only 3 XBO exclusive games that I'm interested in (Rare Replay, Sunset Overdrive and Gears of War Ultimate Edition). I've played both Ori titles, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break on Steam and Cuphead on Switch. So for nearly 7 years I've been willing to jump in but they've never given me enough of an incentive to do so.

Same logic will apply for Series X, if there are enough unique games that I want to play I'll buy one. If there are not then I won't.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
if you count pc as a console, yes. if not, no.
we need ms games but imo it's a good thing we don't need a console to play them.

i wish we could get everything on pc and let the childs do the box war.
this dream seems nearer and nearer with production costs that never stop to grow.
always gonna have pc but I prefer the console experience myself and I have a decent gaming pc. I have switch xbox one x and ps4 and prefer playing on my consoles but I do get there is always other people who will prefer pc

xAlucardx

Neo Member
i buy every console each Generation Cycle
mainly Nintendo and Playstation Supporter here

xbox was great for ninja gaiden (remastered for Ps3 as sigma regardless of their flaws]
Xbox 360 was a must have for Lost Odessey and Fable series [most great games originated here like Mass Effect 1,2...3 not on ps3, sony had uncharted series only to sell their console] and Kenict Dance Central and Kenict Sports was a blast to play with family and friends
Xbox One killed everything i loved about xbox 360, examples are:
Lion Head closure [Fable Games Developer, even after showing a playable trailer]
Gears of War developed with a new studio, Terrible Story and Boring main Characters, only the multiplayer was intact and the only reason i purchased the console was to play Titanfall and later sold the console and bout the game on PC then delete it after Hacker infestation on it
Halo doesnt feel or play like Halo Games anymore, whatever charm it had died after halo 4
people bought xbox one for Forza, now almost everything they make is also on PC
there was no point in owning both ps4 and xbox one
unless you wanted to play the main Forza racer which was exclusive to console
xbox series x:
will buy and let it collect dust, but if there was a system seller, they don't have it yet

ill give an example of why everybody buys a playstation or a nintendo
Playstation: God Of War, Persona, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, Bloodburne, Street Fighter 5, Monster Hunter World, Playstation VR
Nintendo:
Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Ring Fit, Bayonetta
Xbox: Forza, Killer Instinct, Halo 5, Gears of war 5

there you have it
if you want a sales and profit value of each console:
Playstation: Street Fighter V, The Last Of US 2, BloodBurne, Final fantasy 7 Remake, Spiderman, Uncharted 4, Persona 5
Nintendo: Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BOTW 2, Mario Odyssey 2, Xenoblade Series
Xbox Series x: none existent first party Games, Halo Infinite, Forza

they don't have a system seller anymore
if microsoft want to be relevant, i want those games:
Xenogears Remake
Panzer Dragoon Saga
exclusive FromSoftware Game
Final Fantasy 14
exclusive Sega Game Remakes, Burning rangers, Virtua Cop, House of teh Dead
Kinect games like Dance Central be revived again
Gears of war developed by Epic Games
Fable series revived

my demands are impossible and also i cant take their marketing serious if they cancel games like Scalbound and kill Kinect camera when they finally had something worth playing on it

Last edited:

martino

always gonna have pc but I prefer the console experience myself and I have a decent gaming pc. I have switch xbox one x and ps4 and prefer playing on my consoles but I do get there is always other people who will prefer pc
i'm not lazy.
I can deal with minor problems when they come with even more advantages.
Also i'm a focused solo player.
So next gen features (quick resume, quick first load etc...) don't really speak to me.
But i can understand it's game changer for toher people.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

If your a fan of games u need all consoles

Fuck off, that's an asinine post.

Money and, more importantly, time are finite resources for everyone. Not everyone can afford to buy all the consoles, and no one has time to play all the games. We make prioritisation decisions all the time.

Nothing, there's no game that could convince a fanboy.

As the famous quote goes:

Fanboys aren't looking for anything logical, like games or teraflops. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. They just want to watch the world burn.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Fuck off, that's an asinine post.

Money and, more importantly, time are finite resources for everyone. Not everyone can afford to buy all the consoles, and no one has time to play all the games. We make prioritisation decisions all the time.
well each person is different and no need to tell me to F off

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
RTSs and 4x games like Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Halo Wars, Total War, etc

I own a 360 primarily for the half-dozen shmups I own for it. Under the same logic, I'd happily buy an XsX (not right away) if I could play even ten of my favorite RTS and 4x franchises from PC on a home console. I own some 4x games on PS4 that control nicely (considering the lack of mouse and keyboard), but I want real RTSs.

Wonko_C

I'm not a PS fanboy, but there is one game that will make some PS peeps buy a XSX or get a powerful PC and it's a game that PS doesn't have anything like, nor is it ever going to get one, and thats Flight Simulator.
A pilot friend of mine isnt a gamer, but is going to buy a XSX just to use it.
Same here, my RL pilot friends never think of flight simulators as "games". They don't think about thenselves as gamers and are still of the mentality that video games are childish stuff.

Vawn

Banned
There are many and I'm sure there will be one. It will take a lot more than one game for me to make Xbox my primary place to play though.

Top Bottom