• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the one game that Microsoft can release for the XB Series X that would convinced a Playstation fanboy to purchase a XSX?

I am a Playstation fan. I've owned everything Playstation since the PS1, and still have all the systems leading up to the PS4 Pro. The only XB system that I have ever owned is the XB 360, which, incidentally, my wife and I are using everyday for some exercise while playing Dance Central 2. For future PS5 owners, I would like your take on if there is one game that convinced you to pick up the XB Series X as well, and which game would it be?

For me, since I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, if Microsoft launched the XSX with a remake of KOTOR (I, II or both) or any new Star Wars rpg game, that will probably be the only exclusive game that would convince me to be a day-one purchaser of the XSX. I will always take function over form, and so in this case I am already a fan of what the XSX's hardware team has done with the system and its tower form to maximize heat management. My White Destiny 2 PS4 Pro sounds like a jet taking off whenever I'm in the Call of Duty Modern Warfare menu screen, which I just can't stand anymore. Sony is known for releasing slick and compact looking systems, something that the Japanese consumers have always coveted. But with the PS4 Pro, it was clear to me that Sony had prioritized form over function during its development. I can't wait to see what the PS5 will look like. Hopefully, the PS5 will be able to handle all that heat from the 2.26 GHz GPU, so that I can pick it up on day 1 as well. If not, then I'll wait a year or so until all the hardware kinks are worked out.

So if you have always owned a Playstation, and never have owned a XBox, which launch game would convince you to finally pick up that XB Series X, and enjoy all the latest games as well as all the games you had missed from all the previous generations? Veteran XB owners please feel free to add your voice to the conversation.

Last edited:
I'd guess something that's a cinematic, 3rd-person, single-player, story-driven "epic" action/adventure with light RPG elements?

Personally I want some big Japanese games up there. Definitely looking forward to stuff like Project Mara, Hellblade 2, Halo, Fable etc. but if they could get some big Japanese IP with a lot of nostalgia and give it the AAA effort, that'd go a long way IMHO.

Maybe they already have it and they're just waiting to talk about it (or them; hopefully it's multiple).

Last edited:
Hmmm. I buy both anyway, but I'd like them to have games like the ones they had on Xbox and 360.

Sure. I can afford both easily. But as I have already stated, there needs to be something great, brilliant even, in terms of exclusives at the XSX's launch that will convince me to buy into their ecosystem. I already love the form and function factors. Now I just need 1 of those 16 studios that MS had purchased to produce a game that I would love to own day-1.

Last edited:
I would argue Halo, if the campaign could return to its original quality.

I think that debate has been going on every single year a new Halo had come out since Halo 2, so I'm not too optimistic about Halo Infinite having a great campaign, but would loved to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Wow, they actually have nothing. It's really sad when you stop and think about it.

Maybe if Silent hills actually came out on it as a true exclusive(no pc) along with a new metal gear.

Wow, they actually have nothing. It's really sad when you stop and think about it.

Maybe if Silent hills actually came out on it as a true exclusive(no pc) along with a new metal gear.

I wouldn't say MS has nothing. Phil Spencer just stated today that game announcements will be coming soon. And with 16 first-party studio, there will be something for everyone.

We are all adults here, and the conversation has been going well and civilized up till now.
What you said and what I said are not mutually exclusive and both are arguably true. I’m not trying to de-rail your thread, I’m just waiting with baited breath for certain users to stroll in and spew their usual bile.

sneas78

Banned
super Mario maker 3. J/K... They have Hellblade 2. I’m all in.. but make not mistake .. PS5 is primary console.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like a PS fanboy, but there isn't really any game that would sway me from one console to the other, I think. The sheer weight of titles which will be cross-console kind of dilutes the choice. I would probably go with Sony because I just prefer their exclusive titles... I think xBox even said they're not going to be making first party AAA games this generation?

But you asked a valid question... I guess I would switch to xBox if they put.. Half Life 3 on it and it alone. And I had the dough lying around.

Radical_3d

I’m THE hardcore PlayStation fan but I have a soft spot for good Halo campaigns and temporal exclusivity with commander Shepard. So, there’s that...

Fanboys are fanboys for a reason...kaz could come back into Sony ...take a shit into a blu ray case and sell it as the next exclusive and that game would be considered a masterpiece

the sensible folk realise gaming should not be locked down to just 1 console

KAL2006

Banned
Street Fighter VI exclusive to Xbox
Monster Hunter World 2 exclusive to Xbox
GTA6 exclusive to Xbox

But I don't think Capcom will take a exclusive deal or Rockstar. Street Fighter V and Dead Rising 3 were exceptions. With Monster Hunter World, DMCV and REmake games being successful and being multiplatform I can't see it happening.

Those are the big key franchises I can't miss out.

I'm not a PS fanboy, but there is one game that will make some PS peeps buy a XSX or get a powerful PC and it's a game that PS doesn't have anything like, nor is it ever going to get one, and thats Flight Simulator.
A pilot friend of mine isnt a gamer, but is going to buy a XSX just to use it.

Last edited:
I am a Playstation fan. I've owned everything Playstation since the PS1, and still have all they systems leading up to the PS4 Pro. The only XB system that I have ever owned is the XB 360 which ,incidentally, my wife and I are using everyday for some exercise while playing Dance Central 2.

For me, since I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, if Microsoft launch the XSX with a remake of KOTOR (I, II or both) or any new Star Wars rpg game, that will probably be the only exclusive game that would convinced me to be a day-one purchaser of the XSX. I will always take functions over form, and so in this case I am already a fan of what the XSX's hardware team has done with the system and it's tower form to maximize heat management. My White Destiny 2 PS4 Pro sounds like a jet is taking off whenever I'm in the Call of Duty Modern Warfare menu screen, which I just can't stand it anymore. Sony is known for releasing slick and compact looking systems, something that the Japanese consumers have always coveted. But with the PS4 Pro, it was clear to me that Sony had prioritized form over function during its development. I can't wait to see what the PS5 will look like. Hopefully, the PS5 will be able to handle all that heat from the 2.26 GHz GPU, so that I can pick it up day-1 as well. If not, then I'll wait a year or so until all the hardware kinks are worked out.

So if you have always owned a Playstation, and never have owned a XBox, which launch game would convince you to finally pickup that XB Series X, and enjoy all the latest games as well as all the games you had missed from all the previous generations? Veteran XB owners please feel free to add your voice to the conversation.
That's the problem.

It's not down to just 1 game. Console's are not cheap especially at the start of a generation seeing that you'll be most likely stuck with 1 console for 6-7 years or more. Not many out there can afford to buy or own 2 consoles and their respective games so it comes down to 1 console for most folk.

A console or ecosystem is more than just one game. For example i absolutely LOVE Forza Horizon series. I had Horizon 3 on PC 2 years ago and loved it. Last year i was ready to pick up my first current gen console and there I was stood in the store, infront of both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. One game came to mind looking at both consoles. Forza Horizon 3 and the newly released Forza Horizon 4.

So why did i walk out of the store with a PS4 Pro under my arm instead of the Xbox One X with Forza Horizon? Because the value in the Playstation brand at the time with God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, GT Sport, Uncharted 4 with promises of Ghosts of Tushima, The Last of Us 2 and others made me realise the value i was getting with Playstation along with features like share play, PSVR etc etc. Bare in mind that Xbox One X craps all over PS4 Pro in the technical terms as well like mostly native 4K games with higher framerates. There is nothing really in Xbox ecosystem to warrant buying a console for the love of ONE game or even two.

I suspect many prospective buyers will make same decision.

Texas Pride

Banned
I wouldn't say MS has nothing. Phil Spencer just stated today that game announcements will be coming soon. And with 16 first-party studio, there will be something for everyone.

To me that's been MS's issue for years though. It's always wait "insert" is coming just hang in there. And it never materializes. I've known die hard MS fans who echo that sentiment. People get tired of being strung along with false hope. Quantity of studios doesn't necessarily translate to quality of games so to date they've proven nothing. I hope for those die hard fans the games come but at this point I personally wouldn't buy a 500-600 Xbox on that premise.

mortal

Gold Member
A very good one. Then again I don't consider myself a fanboy of either of them.

Last edited:

RPS37

I think that debate has been going on every single year a new Halo had come out since Halo 2, so I'm not too optimistic about Halo Infinite having a great campaign, but would loved to be proven wrong.
Halo 3 was an amazing part of my life. The file share, saved films, 4 player co op that wasn’t basically mandatory...etc. (I know I specified campaign in my first post...)
I’m holding out hope that 343 gets their act together.
They basically have no choice this time IMO.

Sejan

Some of my least favorite genres are FPS and racing sim. Unfortunately, these are genres into which MS really puts some effort. I’m glad people like these games, but i don’t. As such MS will never likely win me over. This is a good thing; I’m genuinely glad that these fans have a first party that caters well to them. I really don’t want MS to change it’s focus, and certainly not to win me over.

Texas Pride

Banned
Halo 3 was an amazing part of my life. The file share, saved films, 4 player co op that wasn’t basically mandatory...etc. (I know I specified campaign in my first post...)
I’m holding out hope that 343 gets their act together.
They basically have no choice this time IMO.

It was imo the last great Halo game. They've never been able to replicate the magic Halo 3 had. As a mainly PS guy me and my friends that had both consoles sunk a lot of time into that game.

Even a full series super ultra mega Uncharted games would not do it. PS fanboys will never convert.

It's like asking what it would take for staunch republican to vote for a democrat.

kiphalfton

If microsoft is releasing all the games on pc as well, there is literally no point getting an XSX. Same goes for Sony.

Granted the main problem I'm facing right now is that game pass for PC is absolute garbage, and doesn't offer even half the games as on X1X. Not sure if intentional or not, but that's kind of the only reason I would get an X1X or XSX (but still not a good enough reason to spend $400-$600).

sublimit

Banned
I don’t think there is one. It’s gonna take a continued concerted effort to continuously improve their first party output as a wbole

Unless they can steal a major IP from Sony which doesn’t seem likely. I don’t think there’s one magic button
Pretty much this, As Spencer himself once said it's a marathon not a sprint. The same applies for earning the trust of the consumer and that includes convincing people that their efforts are in for the long term and they will not change their plans with the first failure or two.
Not all Sony exclusives have been successful during the early years of PS3 yet they didn't abandoned their strategy and perseverred to where they are today.

But i would like to see MS supporting more unique exclusive mid-tier projects (regardless if they are from first party or third party collaborations). I would love to see MS's versions of Sony's 1st and 3rd party exclusives like Shadow of the Colossus,The Last Guardian,Gravity Rush 1&2,Bloodborne,Tearaway,Freedom Wars,Granblue Fantasy Relink etc
If they can keep a steady stream of exclusives like those then i will definitely buy a XsX.

I will never buy Gamepass though (just like i will never buy PS now)

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If you are a PS fan, an avid gamer, and have enough money to buy both systems, why not go PC instead of XSX? You can play all the Xbox games on it. Having a gaming PC hooked up to a big screen TV is awesome. Sure a console is typically smaller and slightly more convenient if you like to shut things off. One downside to the PC is that there are no native aps for some services. Disney plus only has a web based interface so getting HDR out of it may not be possible. Other than that, the PC versions of shit on the open web just blows away what you get on some bullshit walled garden system.

I'd probably buy an XSX if it ran windows and just let you play games that were perfectly optimized. Barring that I will pay more for hardware and get to do whatever the fuck I want with it and be able to play all MS titles. I'd also pay PS5 prices to be able to add a "card" to my PC that let me play PS5 games with Alt + Tab.

As a PS fan and owner and user of all of their systems, I bought and used the OG Xbox and the 360 but also had a PC back then. OG Xbox had Jade Empire. The other Bioware games were on PC. 360 Had Mass Effect, Crackdown ( 1 hit wonder) , the better controller, did most multi platform console games better, and was a better way to play Fallout 3 than my aging computer at the time. Xbone, bought it, did nothing with it and sold it for cheap. Utterly redundant if you have a PC. PS4 was still largely required but could have been skipped if PS5 has 100% BW compatibility for exclusives. Optimal solution to play the best games is PC + consoles (Sony and/or Nintendo) late in life cycle, or skipping a gen and going mid-cycle if BW compatibility is in play.

Top Bottom