• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most underrated game so far this generation?

Just like the thread title asks, what do you believe to be the most underrated, overlooked game so far this gen?

My pick is Sackboy A Big Adventure

HMHzvZJ.jpg

The art, the music, the variety in the levels and the challenges, it's fun and it's my current favorite platformer. I cannot recommend this game enough. There's way more levels than I thought there would be too. The soundtrack is a mix of some familiar songs and some other really nice tunes

If I had enough money I would buy it for every NeoGAF member

share bank GIF
Not fan of Scrotumboy, but will buy it now while it's cheap on Black Friday.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Returnal.

It was snubbed at The Game Awards, and many people still haven't played it. But it's such a unique and amazing game. The moment-to-moment gameplay is second to none. The story could have been tied better, but it is still so good. And the 3D audio design is the best I've ever come across.

Not appreciating Returnal enough is glaring evidence of why we don't good creative, unique games more often and why we get yearly rehashed releases of Assassin's Creed, NBA, Call of Duty, Fifa, etc.
Preach. I keep coming back to Returnal just for the gameplay and the unpredictability of what kind of artifacts or parasites I'll get during a run. There's times were I'm able to get overpowered but the game still gives me a good challenge

And Electropylon Driver FTW!!!

I've heard really good things about it. I didn't know how it would turn out with the turn based liked combat
i thought I'd hate it but its one of my fave Yakuza's...an im someone who beat both Judgement games, all the mainline Yakuza's, and even imported the Samurai joints that never came out stateside. It was pretty damn good and I think part of what makes it special is when youre a few hours in and you realized damn...they pulled off turn based combat forreal

This was another game that totally caught me off guard...had no plans to ever try it but my gameshare partner on PS5 got it and I ended up burning through 60-70 hours on this one.

It has some issues they really need to fix/balance(Some team members towards the end of the game are pointless IMO)...but it felt like back when you played a pretty good game on PS2 by Japanese Dev's you didn't even expect to like and it just catches you off guard..I got those vibes from it. It's a good starting point if they're planning on making this a series and they intend to kinda refine it going forward

Last edited:
One more from me...I beat a lot of games this year indie and AAA so I could make a nice list.(Working from home has its benefits lol).

But:

Was my 2nd Tales game..I literally only played through Vesperia cause a friend damn near forced me to/kept asking me...this one I jumped into and I enjoyed the combat a ton.

Don't think that classes as "under" rated. It reviewed highly, got widespread praise from loads of gamers and is also shortlisted for TGA GOTY. Great game but certainly not underrated.
I don't think Sackboy or the likes of Like a Dragon were either. I think the point is whats seems to underrated on this forum, it was also shocking that DF didn't look to cover the graphics in the game too

TwiztidElf

Huge nod to Returnal, and I'm glad it's getting the deserved love in this thread.
But for me, good job first reply, Yakuza Like a Dragon, it's a hell of a thing.

mili2110

Returnal.

It was snubbed at The Game Awards, and many people still haven't played it. But it's such a unique and amazing game. The moment-to-moment gameplay is second to none. The story could have been tied better, but it is still so good. And the 3D audio design is the best I've ever come across.

Not appreciating Returnal enough is glaring evidence of why we don't good creative, unique games more often and why we get yearly rehashed releases of Assassin's Creed, NBA, Call of Duty, Fifa, etc.

This! Best atmosphere + gameplay of any game this year. My GOTY.

Last edited:
This.

TwN1YOG.jpg

I don’t get what the critics saw that I didn’t see, for me it’s at the top 5 for the year and on Xbox it’s my most played game of the year so far.
My problem with The Ascent was that I had game breaking bugs, like losing the access keys from my inventory. I did like what I played, but I eventually gave up. I started 3 characters, but kept losing key items.

My problem with The Ascent was that I had game breaking bugs, like losing the access keys from my inventory. I did like what I played, but I eventually gave up. I started 3 characters, but kept losing key items.
That is a shame. I guess I got lucky. I had a couple audio glitches, and had my character froze one time. Just had to restart, and it had auto saved 5 seconds prior. Played on Series S. I heard PC was a lot rougher at launch.

Fredrik

I played on Xbox Series X and there I had no issues, PC version was bad at launch but I think they fixed most of it.

I only have one complaint really. Too much blood and gore. I’m not 14 so that content does nothing for me except make it harder to find time to play since no kids can be around. In Deepstink there is only droids, I played that area with the kids beside me, if they had made it so I could’ve play the whole game with no human kills it would’ve competed with Ratchet and Metroid this year.

That is a shame. I guess I got lucky. I had a couple audio glitches, and had my character froze one time. Just had to restart, and it had auto saved 5 seconds prior. Played on Series S. I heard PC was a lot rougher at launch.
I didn't really have any gameplay bugs, but obviously, losing those access keys stopped my progress entirely, because I couldn't open doors and whatnot. I might start up another run if I hear that they fixed the issue. I was surprised by the difficulty, thought it was a pretty solid game.

I played on Xbox Series X and there I had no issues, PC version was bad at launch but I think they fixed most of it.

I only have one complaint really. Too much blood and gore. I’m not 14 so that content does nothing for me except make it harder to find time to play since no kids can be around. In Deepstink there is only droids, I played that area with the kids beside me, if they had made it so I could’ve play the whole game with no human kills it would’ve competed with Ratchet and Metroid this year.
I played on a Series X too, during the first week of launch. Idk, I kept coming up to doors and chests that needed the access keys that I had already acquired, only to find that they were missing from my inventory. I liked what I played though

Hunt Showdown.
Gamers: "All FPS shooters are the same. Why can't we have something new?"
Same gamers never play Hunt Showdown and buy COD or Battlefield instead.
But Hunt Showdown isn't a current gen game? It wasn't bad, actually pretty fun with a group, but we're talking about the last year worth of games.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not sure if Returnal is underrated, except not being the absolute GOTY everywhere as it should.

The Ascent is my favorite and most played game on the Xbox this gen so far, looking at the shit it's getting for being a buggy mess at times it gets my vote.

Top Bottom