• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most "next gen" (current gen) looking game?

Most next gen looking graphics?

• MS Flight Simulator

• Forza Horizon

• Elden Ring

• God of War Ragnarok

• Horizon Forbidden West

• Ratchet and Clank

• Returnal

• Spiderman Mike Morales

• Other (please specify)

• Demon Souls

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Half Life Alyx

Results are only viewable after voting.

GymWolf

Flight simulator for a simulator.

As a traditional game it's a toss between ratchet\rdr2 on pc ultra\tlou2\maybe the new forza (they showed enough)

horizon 2 and the others are not out yet.

Let you know in a couple months as i'm waiting for ps5 BF deals on the games. I suspect ratchet or returnal though.

Playing ps4 games on ps5 I didn't play because I was waiting for fps improvements like for Sekiro and days gone. Coincidentally days gone on ps5 looks kinda crazy ; I don't think it got enough praise for its graphics.

MDSLKTR

I don't understand the lol reactions when Demon Souls is mentionned...
this is the best we'll be getting for a couple more years.

ripeavocado

Banned
It's embarassing when, after almost a year since next-gen began, you have to ask this question and fill the poll with last gen looking games.

There is no Killzone: Shadowfall, no Ryse, no Infamous Second Son, no Driveclub (still the best looking racing game)

Demon Souls and Horizon 2 are the only one susbtantially better but even so they barely look cross gen.

Ratchet & Clank is one of the most overrated graphically, it's just that the previous gen R&C was a budget title.
And so is Flight Simulator 2020, yes it does look very good but it's also the first AAA flight sim in 14 years, of course it's going to look next gen compared to what we had before.

Bankai

200.gif

bugsnax was pretty sweet

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Always an interesting question. What makes a game looks "current gen" vs another from past gen? To have at least a certain minimum number of polygons? A certain minimum texture resolution/quality? A certain minimum number/quality of effects/lighting effects?

NahaNago

ratchet and clank for me. Horizon and god of war just looks like more polished ps4 games but ratchet just visually looks like a next gen game to me.

SpokkX

Probably Ratchet and clank overall - mostly visually though, since the game does absolutely NOTHING new gameplay wise

Flight Sim is another one

elliot5

Flight Sim followed by Ratchet and Demon's for released games.

Future games I think STALKER 2 may be the most impressive from what's been shown. FH5 looks great too but there are some areas that look cut back possibly due to cross gen

I only considered games I've played or seen played in real life so I gave it to cyberpunk. 1440p max everything on my PC just looks wow. Flight sim is nice, but got boring to fast for me to really see it. R&C looks great but often just looks ok.

How convenient that you left off Gears of War Hivebusters. Obviously you have never played this game as it would have been on top of the list. I always found it strange that when graphics are being discussed Gears is often not included in the discussions. Not sure if it's fanboyism or an oversight but graphically very few games are in the same league as Gears. Flight Sim and it's not even close folks.
Actually Hivebusters is a good call, it's a technical juggernaut of a game. Maybe it doesn't have that attention to detail that some other games do but one of the best looking games around for sure.

Kuranghi

I know you'll all hate me but I really mean it when I say, is MSFS really a game? Whats the progression in the game? Do you have "missions"?

Hunnybun

I'd say Ratchet is still probably the most impressive overall.

Then there's a bunch of games that look very very good and I struggle to choose between:

Horizon FW
GOWR
Forza Horizon 5
Deathloop
Kena

I think Returnal LOOKS as good as any of those but the low internal resolution is a bit of a black mark.

I always thought Demon's Souls looked average, never got the hype at all there. Forspoken looks mostly mediocre too.

Top Bottom