• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best game you didn't finish?

engstra

All Souls-like games tbh. Love the gameplay but what always happens in I get stuck or sidetracked and it's very hard to pick back up again afterwards. With those games not having any story there's less incentive to finishing. I actually did start Demons Souls up again after a month or two away from it, maybe this will be the first time I finish one 🤞

Kadayi

Banned
Dark Souls. Despite innumerable hours logged and several playthroughs I just never manage to push through to the end (although I've gotten dangerously close on occasion). I think its an absolute masterpiece and is one of my most recommended games because of the structure and level design, but I just constantly find myself noodling whenever I get back into it and then ultimately something else gets released which drags me away and by the time I return to it my muscle memory is shot to shit so I figure I'll restart ......and the cycle continues. :messenger_dizzy:

An irony that is not lost on me 🤔

Last edited:

Tschumi

Metroid Prime..meta ridley was just a spoonful of dexterity too far for me, and i was into other GameCube games more heavily.. never went back.

TLZ

Banned
God of War PS4.

I stopped for a break and never went back. Every time I think of going back I think I'm going to struggle because I need to get familiar with the controls again and forgot where and what in the game I was doing :messenger_dizzy:

Moogle11

Banned
A few off the top of my head..

Final Fantasy 8–got to the final boss (I think) and was under leveled (and likely just didn’t have a grasp of the systems as it came out right when I was losing my interest in turn based games and complex systems) and just didn’t care enough to go grind levels or figure it out.

Metroid Prime 2-not sure this qualifies as I was honestly a bit meh on it an the dark world mechanics, more just disappointed I didn’t finish it as I loved the first and enjoyed 3 later on. Stopped at the Spider Ball boss IIRC.

Demon’s Souls Remake-this I just acknowledge as a great game that’s just not for me. I knew that going in as while I plantinumed Bloodborne and beat all bosses through DLC1 in Dark Souls 3, I’d failed to get into DS1 and 2, Nioh and some other Soulslikes. Just lost my patience for the difficulty level and reptition/pace of learning my way through the levels, learning fights etc. as I got older and more into easier, story-driven games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Shadow of the colossus
why.gif

There better be good reason for this....
tenor.gif

Moogle11

Banned
I started SotC twice and dropped it both times. Just not my cup of tea at all. Not really into artsy games or minimalist stories and bosses tend to be my least favorite parts of games and it’s largely a series of big boss fights. Very nice looking and atmospheric game though, just didn’t click with me.

Elcid

Banned
What is your favorite game that you for some reason didn't finish?

For me, it's actually one of my favorite games of all time:
NioH

Best combat ever in my opinion, easily beating Souls and Sekiro. I did so many missions, did everything it was throwing at me, having a blast. Loved the level design, played it like a madman.
Stopped playing like 1.5h before the end of the game. I felt like I've seen everything the game had to offer and wasn't there for the story either way.

What is yours and why didn't you finish it?
Darksiders 2 and the Witcher 3.
I loved Darksiders 1 and 2 was that + more, it was just too much so I lost interest.
I loved Witcher 1 and 2, but 3 was just too much so I lost interest.

Thurible

I liked final fantasy 7 but I had to quit the first time because I was literally stuck on a boss (it was quite literally a wall). The few other times I tried my computer pooped out on me :/

NinjaBoiX

Demon’s Souls (PS3), just got stuck towards the end, literally a few hours from being done! I just gave up.

I’ll definitely have another go when I get around to buying a PS5.

Bridges

Up until a couple of years ago I did not finish most of the games I played, so it was common for my favorites to be unfinished.

I've recently gotten a lot better about seeing them through to the end, but looking back it was probably Metal Gear Solid V, I remember thinking it was one of the best games I'd ever played, yet I never got around to finishing it (and I know for a lot of people the later chapters ruined it, so maybe if I go back I'd change my tune).

Also, Fantasia: Music Evolved. Absolutely one of the coolest games to come out last gen, but I tend to just get on freeplay instead of continuing the story, and now that the newer Xboxes don't support Kinect it's much more of a hassle to set it up.

God of War PS4. Game is Soo good but I can't seem to find the time to finish it..... I'll just finish playing it on the much better experience patch on PS5 in a few years.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. This was the unexpected game that totally made the GBA launch for me, but I could never beat the final boss.

Aria of Sorrow felt like a lazy day off after that game.

Unfortunately too many. Precisely why I can't relate to people who complain about shorter games.

Most recent off top is Ghost Of Tsushima. Also P5. Played up to the part where you're balls deep in Mementos after clearing (I think) all the palaces, and still couldn't get to the finish line.

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
For me its lost remnants, i love this game, the grind also was hard, but i manage to grind so best skills, but then just before fighting the final bosses i stop playing. Dont know why.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Recently:

Sekiro. I am just bad at the game but I'm convicned it is amazing.

All time:

Xenogears on PS1, played for 100 hours then got shit on so hard by the end boss I just couldn't anymore.

Phantasy Star IV on Mega Drive. Loved the game but kinda burned out on it somewhere in the last third. Still plan on revisiting this one.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Another Nioh dropped here.

Also Baldur's Gate II, loved the writing and lots of the locations, but I could never get into the gameplay as much as I tried. Same goes for Planescape: Torment.
Had that problem too for years, but I managed to overcome that issue. What helped me was a combination of actually reading the damn manual (especially explaining the awkward THAC0 System) and looking up which spells you can use to buff yourself and debuff enemies during combat. The game throws dozens of spells at you, but on normal, you only need a handful of them to get through the game. With that information, I was able to beat the game fairly easiely (at least on normal). It's definitely worth it.

On topic: It's a strange question, if I think a game is really good, I usually finish it. I really can't remember the last time I thoroughly enjoyed a game and didn't beat it. There are tons of games I didn't finish though, but I put them down exactly for the reason that I thought that they weren't that good.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
God of War PS4.

I stopped for a break and never went back. Every time I think of going back I think I'm going to struggle because I need to get familiar with the controls again and forgot where and what in the game I was doing :messenger_dizzy:

God of War PS4. Game is Soo good but I can't seem to find the time to finish it..... I'll just finish playing it on the much better experience patch on PS5 in a few years.

God of War PS4

With the PS5 patch, ill finish it.
2zMsXxJ.jpg

I kind of have two...
Dark Souls - It does what it does really well and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I'm not that far (just past the Capra Demon). I really like how it's a tough challenge but once you crack the strategy to a boss it's actually fair, you don't have to cheese it, you just have to be good. I just kind of...stepped away for a bit...and haven't gotten back to it yet.
Code Veronica - Played it as a kid and got like 95% of the way through to the end...then Steve killed me...repeatedly. Sadly I lacked the health items and no amount of skill is getting you through there. It's a really good game but I just didn't have the patience to restart the game again (I'd already had to when I hit a similar road-block at the Tyrant fight in the plane) and I've never been back to it, although I've thought about it many times.

lakester

Neo Member
[QUOTE="regawdless, post: 261766778,
What is yours and why didn't you finish it?
[/QUOTE]
Viewtiful Joe

I Remember I cannot get past One of the lady chapters, where you have ti beat a list of all previous boss before facing the real final boss.

No checkpoint After beating previous bosses

Null Persp

The list is long, a lot of retro games were impossible to finish without a guide or hints.
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is another one that I never finished it, replayed 2-3 times and stopped every time after a while.
Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back, save corrupted.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, reinstalled many time and modded the hell out of it.
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, SMTIV and many others.
The problem is that if I stop playing for a while is difficult for me to pick up a game where I left off and restart.

Persona 5. The game is great and I was cakewalking the normal enemies. Then I get to a dungeon boss and get obliterated. Eventually turned the difficulty down to the easiest but once changed you’re stuck with it, so fuck dat. The story isn’t worth the mindless dungeon slog that the easiest difficulty brings.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Probably Spelunky. It's awesome, I just do not care enough to try and actually get to the end.

Its very rare for me to start a game and not finish it, because usually I wont start a game unless it has something that I really like about it.
In 2004 I stopped playing Final Fantasy X. I put quite a bit of time into it, but ultimately I just lost interest.
I also started Mass Effect Andromeda a few years ago, but stopped as I didnt really like its characters or politics. I only bought the game for the multiplayer and I still got my moneys worth from that (though it wasnt as good as ME3's).

regawdless

Banned
Played Tetris Effect on PS4 . I liked it a lot, but it was kinda... Too stressful for me to finish it. So yeah, great game and like with the end of a relationship: it wasn't your fault.

Shut0wen

Dark souls 2, witcher 3 and mgs 3, loved mgs 2 but i just get as far as fighting the end have a break and never return

Final Fantasy VI and IX :-/

All the Souls games I tried, including Bloodborne.

I'm about not to finish Horizon Zero Dawn (open world tire me after a little while in) and Days Gone--Days Gone is on PS+ that I got for a month to transfer my save games from my PS4 to the PS5... The game is pretty good so I'll go back to it as soon as I can.

Drive Club and Wipeout HD/XL (because I love driving games, but I suck at them... I spent countless hours in them, can't get beyond a certain point).

All the Assassins Creed Games
Far Cry 5

Any Call of Duty game I tried (the respawning enemies in battle are a no go to me, we aren't on the NES days).

FFVII - I have restarted this game so many times since launch And now that I can't really sit still to play a game for more than about 20 minutes and have trouble with concentration and memory...i don't think i'll ever finish...maybe I shoud watch a play through on YouTube or something. Still don't know how it ends :)
The version out now you can walk at 5 x speed and turn off random encounters you can get through it really quick. Makes chocobo breeding a breeze simce you can auto race all the events. It wont take close to 100 hours probably closer to 25 or 30 and maybe even less than that.

MayauMiao

Fallout New Vegas.

Also quite a lot more and mostly on Steam. Having a life, doing house chores and job makes it really difficult to find that perfect time to play. It didn't help that I'm constantly watching streaming shows and recently reinvigorate my old habit of watching animes that I skip over the years.

Also blaming Hololive girls.

Arachnid

Persona 5. The game is great and I was cakewalking the normal enemies. Then I get to a dungeon boss and get obliterated. Eventually turned the difficulty down to the easiest but once changed you’re stuck with it, so fuck dat. The story isn’t worth the mindless dungeon slog that the easiest difficulty brings.
You should consider Royal someday. It added a ton of content, changed a ton of content, and you can change difficulty at will (with no difficulty related trophies).

Top Bottom