• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best game you didn't finish?

Hydroxy

Silent Hill 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and Homecoming and Origins.
I love Silent Hill series its one of my favourite video game series but I have not finished most games in the series. The main reason is PC version of 1,2 and 3 were very bad and almost unplayable. Origins I played on PS2 but for whatever reason didn't finish maybe coz sometimes it gets too scary. Only Silent Hill game i finished was Shattered Memories on PS2. Homecoming I didn't finish on PC as around halfway through it becomes boring.

cireza

Banned
Grandia

Start a battle on the map
Battle finally starts
Launch a bunch of spells to raise spell levels and fight enemies
Wait for entire animations that take way too long as you can't skip them
Eventually finish the battle easily
Wait
Item screen
Wait
Experience screen
You can finally move again on the map

Time spent for a single battle : 10 times too much.

SCB3

I tend to finish anything I play but a few notable examples I can think of:

Bioshock Infinite:
I don't know what it is, it just doesn't grip me the way the Original did, which is one of my favourite games of all time

Cyberpunk 2077:
I really love the game, the setting and everything about it, the bugs are just putting me off, I'm about 10 hours in and kinda wanna wait on a few patches to iron it out

I guess not getting all the moons in Mario Odessey counts as well

GymWolf

Probably zelda botw, after 40+ hours i was bored to tears, but i did all the 4 dungeons and most secret discovered (the sword etc.), all map explored etc.

Inb4 people saying that is normal being annoyed after 40 hours...bullshits, i absolutely love 100 hours long open world games, i clocked 82 hours on cyberpunk and ready to clock 100+ on yakuza 7.

the problem is, i don't even consider this game the best game that i never completed, it's just the better one from recent years, i probably have some better choises but i have a shitty memory.

oh wait, i still have to finish judgement, i love the game but with long ass games like yakuza titles sometimes you get a bit tired from the formula mid-game (it happened with kiwami 2), but i'm sure that i'm gonna finish that one because i love the saga and the game was fire, but with zelda, not so sure...

SCB3

Ditto, I love everything FromSoftware except Sekiro. Love the concept and story but without being able to make builds like the Souls series, it got really old quickl!

I'm very much of the opinion that Sekiro is the worst game from FromSoft post Demons Souls, its very much a one trick pony game, once you master the parry/blocking mechanic, the game gets kinda boring gameplay wise, the rest of the game is incredible though

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Too many to list. I could start with previous gens, lmao:

GTA San Andreas
FF X
Legacy of Kain games

The Saboteur, Midnight Club.

After awhile I gave up keeping old consoles hooked up. When a game was available for current gen (port, remaster, etc) I would probably try to play again. I appreciate BC more now with digital games.

borborygmus

Sekiro. I just can't do some of those boss fights. The mechanics never clicked with me.

The confusing part is your stamina bar increases even when you parry successfully, which is bad for you because you're closer to getting staggered, but you can't actually get staggered on a successful parry.

It's confusing as hell because it makes you think your parries are failing.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Probably Red Dead Redemption 2. Adored damn near everything about the game and getting lost in it, and I wanted to finish it eventually, but life caught up to me. Our family's been hit with big change after big change in the past few years, and we've had to weather the storm so often that games fell by the way side. Hoping life calms down eventually so I can sit and enjoy a damn game at some point.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Super Metroid. I couldn’t do the wall jump consistently to save my life lol
Me too sadly.

For me the game that comes to mind is the FF7 Remake. I was loving the hell out of it but for whatever reason I stopped playing it. I'll get back into it at some point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The confusing part is your stamina bar increases even when you parry successfully, which is bad for you because you're closer to getting staggered, but you can't actually get staggered on a successful parry.

It's confusing as hell because it makes you think your parries are failing.
Even if parry successfully you still get little bit of posture damage but if you fail get big posture damage.

S73v3

Banned
Fallout New Vegas

Did all the dlc and 90%~ main game

I felt too OP near the end and just quit, played it again years later and ended up doing exactly the same, still a great game.

So odd lol

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Bloodborne. Gonna finish it someday. Pc port with better framerate could help.
Also Nier Automata. I not the type that like to repeat same route over and over again. It terrible personally. It feels like slog. Still gonna finish it someday. Need some mood or urges. Not to mention problematic pc port.

Yerd

I pretty much never finish games these days, unless they are super short. I have several I want to finish, but I've put it off so long it's hard to get back into them.
All games I have played a significant amount of time, but stopped for some reason. None of the reasons being I don't like the game.

Several people brought up Nier: Automata. I believe I actually finished the story but there is a point in the credits where something game like happens. I couldn't finish it and it kept asking me if I wanted to get help. I refused and never could finish that, so I guess I haven't finished it.

These would be considered the "best" games I haven't finished:

Red Dead 2
GTA V
Half Life: Alyx (Winner of Most Likely to Finish award)
Cuphead
Sekiro
Resident Evil 2 remake
Resident Evil 7
Nioh (probably won't bother going back to)
Dead Rising 3
Dead Rising 4
Dishonored 2
The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Fallout 4
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (I finished Dark Souls 2, but I consider SOTFS a new game, because it changes a lot of things. I started and never finished)

PS4 Spider-Man

Jimmy_liv

Bloodborne.
I'm not great at games but a enjoyed it so when I struggled I took to grinding as a solution. I was enjoying it.

Towards the end of the game I got to a section where the bad guys I had killed within a level started respawning. Nope.
I'm not struggling on with those gaming mechanics.

Just finished Dark Souls remake on PS5 and it's one of my all time favourite games. Simply that mechanic on BB did not sit well with me at all.

Last edited:

april6e

Portal I guess. I just can't do puzzle games. It's like doing homework in video game form. It's just utterly boring and banal to me.

The game is amazing and I understand why people love it but I've tried to play it like 4 times now and I always quit 3 hours in.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Grandia (1), the last boss was such a bitch with its multiple forms, perhaps I never truly got the hang of the combat system (loved the time/counter basics, I mean like leveling/acquiring spells/skills).

I had used up all helpful items just to reach it since the last dungeon was infested with tough enemies as well so I couldn't even go back out to grind thanks to saving right at the boss, lol.

I just youtubed the ending some aeons later. It's still an amazing game and top 10 JRPG though. I'd probably replay it if we got the Saturn version fully translated (FMVs too).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
FFVII - I have restarted this game so many times since launch And now that I can't really sit still to play a game for more than about 20 minutes and have trouble with concentration and memory...i don't think i'll ever finish...maybe I shoud watch a play through on YouTube or something. Still don't know how it ends :)
You mean the Remake or the original?

As for me the first that comes to mind and one i'm the most "ashamed" is Xenoblade Chronicles X.I got sidetracked by other games and "paused" it at around 15 hours or so in to it.
Now i need to restart it when i decide to replay it.
And another one i'm ashamed of leaving it half-finished is Valkyria Chronicles 4. Incredible game and i think i stopped around halfway through due to getting sidetracked (again) by other games. Another one i need to restart.
And finally Valkyrie Profile (on PSP).Great game but its systems felt very confusing and cryptic so i ended up getting stuck in the final dungeon.If i ever replay it i'm going to use a guide this time.

Yerd

Silent Hill 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and Homecoming and Origins.
I love Silent Hill series its one of my favourite video game series but I have not finished most games in the series. The main reason is PC version of 1,2 and 3 were very bad and almost unplayable. Origins I played on PS2 but for whatever reason didn't finish maybe coz sometimes it gets too scary. Only Silent Hill game i finished was Shattered Memories on PS2. Homecoming I didn't finish on PC as around halfway through it becomes boring.
I would jump on a RE2 style Silent Hill series remake.

Giving my vote to Nioh too, I think I dropped the game maybe 4h left before the ending for some stupid reason and never went back, didn't help that that save file was on my ps4 which I don't own anymore and I don't want to buy the PC version knowing that there's so much content that I have to replay just to get to the point where I stopped, great game though!

Phase

Dark Souls 3 DLC for me. I beat the Ashes of Ariandel dlc, but stopped at the demon prince early in the Ringed City dlc. Just didn't have the patience and didn't enjoy the fight at all. I haven't been back to the game since. Thought about picking it up again, but I'd rather run through Bloodborne or DS1 modded before that tbh.

I consider DS3 a great game, but it doesn't have much replayability for me personally, as I don't care for most areas or bosses in the game.

peronmls

Forbidden Siren for PS2. I was 75% the way through. The game is so hard and has a lot of trial and error but the horror aspect was amazing! Still recommend it on the PS Store (PS4). HDres + Widescreen

Probably some PS1 JRPG like Xenogears that I was too young to appreciate at the time. Or Chrono Trigger, which I tried to get into on PC but was deterred by the hassle of constantly syncing my DualShock. Really wish Sony would re-release PS1 Classics.

Recently: Ghost of Tsushima, which I bought expecting to play while I waited for Cyberpunk to get patched or for a PS5 to turn up. I got a PS5 a lot earlier than I was expecting and I haven't touched it since.

intbal

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I liked it. But I stopped one night, and never resumed.
Stupid Gamepass lured me away with something else to try.

Arachnid

Persona 5 Royal. I fucking LOVE this game.I think it's the best PS4 game I've played right after Bloodborne.

That said, I can't beat Okumura. I'm getting assblasted by the minions he send out in the beginning, nevermind the boss himself. The fact that they run away after three turns and their health resets is bullshit. I just want to finish the game, but holy shit this boss has me hardstuck. I've never been hardstuck on a game like this before, and I've played every ninja gaiden and sousborne game. Maybe I'm just underleveled? Idk. Great game though

Last edited:

Nico_D

Persona 5 Royal. I fucking LOVE this game.I think the best PS4 games I've played right after Bloodborne.

That said, I can't beat Okumeua. I'm getting assblasted by the minions he send out in the beginning, nevermind the boss himself.

There was a relatively easy way to get rid of them but I don't remember it anymore... ...oh I do. I put them to sleep over and over.

DelireMan7

If I don't finish a game it's because it's not that good for me.

The only one I can think is Rogue Galaxy on Ps2. I loved it and don't remember why I dropped it. I think it was not related to the game itself.
I plan to redo a run this year.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Shadow of the Colossus.

I'd already busted my nut so many times playing this game, I didn't feel like going all the way; I just watched a YouTube video of the final boss / ending.

Paasei

Had this for a while with Sekiro. I had no clue where to go next and literally ran around in giant circles for a while. Turned it off, haven't looked back until a month or two ago, where I somehow found my way to the monkeys in the temple and from there on it was only the challenge that slowed me down.

Last edited:

Hugare

Divinity 2: OS

I was loving every single minute of it.

But then I was overwhelmed. Too complex, too big, and with too many options for the story.

Don't usually like games where I can loose entirely storylines due to some choices that I've made. Gives me anxiety. And replaying a complex, hard 70h RPG just to see other quests is a no-no.

Also, Yakuza Kiwami 2

Was loving the story, but playing it after Zero and Kiwami, repetition came hard

Last edited:

borborygmus

Divinity 2: OS

I was loving every single minute of it.

But then I was overwhelmed. Too complex, too big, and with too many options for the story.

Don't usually like games where I can loose entirely storylines due to some choices that I've made. Gives me anxiety. And replaying a complex, hard 70h RPG just to see other quests is a no-no.

Also, Yakuza Kiwami 2

Was loving the story, but playing it after Zero and Kiwami, repetition came hard

Both of those games are massively overrated. DOS2 is a bugfest with a broken combat system (Just get warfare for all physical damage in the game) and incredibly tedious progression.

edit: Removed comments on Kiwami 2 since you didn't complete it.

Last edited:

Roberts

Sekiro, duh.

I absolutely love the game; its my 2019 goty. I still get back to it once in a whole, and only have three or four more bosses to defeat, but, man, I’m at the point where it takes me 50 tries to kill one and it is both frustrating and exhausting. But the satisfaction of actually succeeding is worth it.

Roberts

Shadow of the Colossus.

I'd already busted my nut so many times playing this game, I didn't feel like going all the way; I just watched a YouTube video of the final boss / ending.

You are not the only one: the trophy % dropoff with each boss is huge. I think only 3-4% actually beat the last boss. I thought the game was kind of easy and not that long, but i would mostly blame outdated controls.

Cutty Flam

Banned
1) Shadow of the Colossus - I couldn't defeat the final Colossus. Multiple tries, hours of effort but for some reason I never tried to give it another go. I think I tried about 4-5 times and then I started to get really into lifting and studied a lot so the game sort of faded away. I don't think I even thought about it for years after the event of my failing to defeat the last Colossus

2) Super Mario Bros. 3 - Could not beat World 8 and I tried for an entire fucking summer. Whistle warp and everything. One of the greatest games I have ever played, SMB3

3) Banjo-Tooie - Played the intro barely did anything and my N64 broke that year. It seemed like it was going to be excellent too. Maybe it cannot match the classic that is Banjo-Kazooie, but it seemed like Tooie was going to be more challenging

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Witcher 3 was on my list of unfinished games for quite a while, because it was too long and too distracting with ton of side content and exploration.

From older games I never finished GTA San Andreas despite loving it. Got stuck in one of the main missions (no, not the train one ;)) and never got back to it.

Bankai

Witcher 3. It was the last game I properly played on PC, back when the game was released. After that I only played games on PS3 and PS4.

I realized PC gaming got me endlessly tweaking setting and messing with 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, and the likes. I was never satisfied and after the slightest framedrop I went back to tweaking. Never got invested in the game because of it. It was the same with other (GPU intensive) games like the Crysis series.

I was fun to tweak, but I decided I just wanted to PLAY more games and be able to fully immerse myself.

Therefor, console-gaming is for me: I just gotta live with what is offered (although I did wait for PS4 pro, before stapping into console gaming again) :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I dropped the DLC of Bloodborne. Lady Maria filtered me and I didn't have the patience at the time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Miles708

No mans sky
Easily the best game I’ll never scratch the surface of

Yeah this one!
I got 150hrs in the game and nowhere near even half of the story mode. Doesn't help that the amount of side content grew x10 in time.
At some point other games have taken over, but I think I'll eventually get around to complete it. One day...

Oh and another is Skyrim.
I absolutely love that game, got around 200hrs there, with my sneaking khajiit archer thief (love the guy), and around 50% of story and no DLCs done. I loved it to bits, but I guess i got everything I could from the game even without "officially" completing it.

I dropped the DLC of Bloodborne. Lady Maria filtered me and I didn't have the patience at the time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Lol, the boss after that is 100x worse! Cheap, stupid and overpowered. Didn't want to spend 100 hours learning patterns for 1 enemy, thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom