• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best game you didn't finish?

regawdless

Banned
What is your favorite game that you for some reason didn't finish?

For me, it's actually one of my favorite games of all time:
NioH

Best combat ever in my opinion, easily beating Souls and Sekiro. I did so many missions, did everything it was throwing at me, having a blast. Loved the level design, played it like a madman.
Stopped playing like 1.5h before the end of the game. I felt like I've seen everything the game had to offer and wasn't there for the story either way.

What is yours and why didn't you finish it?

It would drive me insane not to finish a game I loved. I can't even bring myself to not finish games I'm not really enjoying.

The only thing I can think of are super-hard roguelike games. Spelunky, maybe - but, honestly, I didn't love that game as much as others.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Nier Automata. Got halfway thru Path C, and stopped. I don't even remember why. Great game though, I need to get back to it.

Miles708

Another vote for Nioh.
I've reached the second part of the map feeling the game was ending, lol nope. Too much content, but the game is very schematic, so you can guess everything. I had my fill after 10 hours.

Bloodborne
Oh my this one.
Meh at the beginning. Totally awesome in the middle. Couldn't care less at the end. After the woods, the game becomes a complete slog. Still have to finish the last boss, but this game kinda made me hate the genre.

Ace Combat 7
Honestly I don't even know why, I feel the game is amazing and it's everything I wanted (basically an Afterburner Climax with a story mode). I think I'm at the last 2 missions, just don't have the will to go on. I intend to, though.

There are a million really but those are the best incomplete I have.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Another Nioh dropped here.

Also Baldur's Gate II, loved the writing and lots of the locations, but I could never get into the gameplay as much as I tried. Same goes for Planescape: Torment.

Oddspeak

Nioh 2, which is weird, because I loved Nioh 1, and 2 is an upgrade in almost every respect, but for some reason I just can't push myself past the first few missions.

amigastar

Deus Ex
played a good amount of it but never finished.
Baldurs Gate 2 also (although i'm still able to load my old saves, gonna finish it someday)
Zelda Wind Waker (one of my favourite Zelda games, never finished)

Last edited:

Kdad

FFVII - I have restarted this game so many times since launch And now that I can't really sit still to play a game for more than about 20 minutes and have trouble with concentration and memory...i don't think i'll ever finish...maybe I shoud watch a play through on YouTube or something. Still don't know how it ends :)

Orta

Banned
These are critically acclaimed games but I either lost interest or simply didn't like them.

Mario Galaxy. Great game, simply lost interest and left it too long to go back. Might pick up the Switch trilogy and give it a go.

GTA Vice City. Same as above, think I got stuck on a mission, time limited sniping from a crane or something or other. Kept failing it so just gave up and never returned. Shame.

Halo CE. Bought as part of the MCC only last week. One hour of playtime was enough for me to thoroughly loathe every aspect of what I'd experienced to that point. Uninstalled, will likely never play again, irrespective of the other games in the package.

Wipeout 2097. One of the best racers of its time. I kept progressing to higher classes to the point the game was unplayable, it was so fast you just stumbled and crashed your way through the tracks like a blind drunken driver. There was no skill or panache involved. That's not what gaming is about. Another one I never returned to.

GametimeUK

For a long time Metroid Prime was one of my favourite games of all time from 2004 to 2018 and that would have been my answer. Heck, I played A Link to the Past as a child around 93 or 94 and only just finished it this year. Paper Mario TTYD I first played in 2004 and only just beat it this year...

These have been on my to do list for so long before I beat them. I don't know what the answer would be right now. I've tried to go back and beat the classics I never finished. I guess Final Fantasy 6 is next on my list, but in recent memory is say Witcher 3.

Tschumi

By consensus, i believe it is mgs3. I just, uh, you know it's weird.. i always give up at the same general point.. just when he goes in for the second time. I don't know why but, i just go to play other games at that point.

Chastten

Banned
I rarely not finish a game once I start, but I guess it has to be Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Wii U? I started it and it's a decent game, but stopped playing at chapter 5 or 6 or whatever. That chapter just went on and on.

Can't really remember any other games I didn't finish right now.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Been a while since I've actually finished a game. I tend to play more open-ended coop games now (like total war or payday 2).

I think the running joke with my crew is my inability to finish Witcher 3. I've made two honest tries but a new game always seems to come out before I hit the end. And after a few months of sitting on the shelf I need to start from the beginning to refresh the story and gameplay.

Another Nioh dropped here.

Also Baldur's Gate II, loved the writing and lots of the locations, but I could never get into the gameplay as much as I tried. Same goes for Planescape: Torment.
Yup, had that problem too with BG1. Cool world and characters but fck, the gameplay was utter dogshit, real time with pause sucks. Still finished it though.

Good question:

Probably Horizon Zero Dawn. I got very close to the end, then had to stop playing for awhile, for some reason, and when I tried to go back to it, for some reason my save file was from like 20 hours earlier in the game. I forget how that happened, something I probably fucked up on my end.

I never ended up playing through it again, or playing the expansion.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Outer Wilds. Still bummed about it. It was great, but I got pulled off of it at some point, and going back through it just doesn't have the same magic.

Old Retro

I think this thread may have come up before. I was soooo into Nightshade (Kunoichi) when it was released. Could not beat final boss

220px-Nightshade_%28PS2%29_Coverart.png

I fired it up recently and the graphics were "too blocky" for me to play. I'll make it one of my games to beat for 2021!!!

Also ashamed to say I could not beat final boss in one of my favorites:

220px-Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker_Cover_Art.jpg

Cuphead.

It's not even a hard run n' gun shooter compared to a lot of other games in the genre, but the parrying mechanic is my big weakness in any game as my timing sucks.

I eventually got to the point where I could stomp all the bosses, the queen bee and dragon weren't all that bad and eventually the robot was a pretty straightforward fight but I can't beat King Dice because I am terrible at getting the timing right on his marching cards. No matter how hard I try or how many attempts I keep messing up my parry timing. I've watched the fight with the devil after King Dice and I'm 100% sure I can beat him, but I just can't get to him.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sekiro.

Made it to the final boss and even beat most of the optional bosses, but I didn't finish it. I played on the ps4 so that load time was too brutal for me to want to keep with it after a dozen deaths.

Outlier

AC:O and Witcher 3.

I can still get back into AC on my PS4 and Witcher on my PC, right now. I just lost interest in favor of other games. I WILL be finishing Cyberglitch 2077, for sure though. :^)

Top Bottom