• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is going on with PS5 in Japan? Xbox Series came only a few hundreds units away from beating PS5 in weekly number

TarG6gT.jpg

I think this is as close as it has ever got between Playstation and Xbox. I don't remember it's ever this close, not even in PS3 era

Also I think this is the lowest Playstation weekly number ever. Even PS3 typically hovered around 7-10K, it's never this low

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 68,796 (377,001)
  2. Switch – 60,512 (17,454,460)
  3. Switch Lite – 38,470 (4,195,309)
  4. PlayStation 5 – 4,134 (988,400)
  5. Xbox Series X – 2,203 (69,919)
  6. Xbox Series S – 1,219 (52,218)
  7. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 365 (1,177,353)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 188 (7,818,813)
  9. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 173 (188,845)
TarG6gT.jpg

So is this really supply issue?........ or more like a demand issue? Has Japan totally given up on Playstation brand?
TarG6gT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If you follow the news, PS5 supply is actually very constraint right now, in Malaysia its impossible to find one at a normal price.

But i dont think you wanna know, i doubt you are a playstation fan, i mean we can see your post history.....

Last edited:

Rykan

I live in Japan at the moment and it is absolutely a supply issue. I'm in a medium sized town in the country side and there is no Playstation 5 available anywhere. But here is the crazy part: There is no Xbox to be found either and when I say there is no Xbox, I really mean it. Outside of the major cities, stores simply don't carry the Xbox at all. No series consoles, No Xbox one, No games. Even stores which sell used games don't sell used Xbox games. It's like the platform doesn't even exist.

Simply put, most of the stock is going to North America and then probably Europe. Those are the places where Sony has to fend off Microsoft.

I figured it would be easy to buy a new series X as I left my old console at my old place, but that's not been the case at all.

The closest thing I've seen is a used Xbox 360.

Last edited:
People think this is only in Japan but plenty of countries even in europe barely get any PS5 consoles.
Outside of Europe i think India has had a laughable amount of consoles as well. I spoke to someone there that he told me it's like it was never even released.

Feels like it's clearly being distributed to the USA, UK, other key markets in Europe like Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc...the big ones that Sony wants to distance themselves from MS the most.

I live in Portugal and we got some units recently...but sold out everywhere in less than 5 minutes. But this is Sonyland. I've seen Switch OLED consoles, Series S consoles even a Series X once in front of me when i wasn't even looking for them. The only PS5 i saw so far is the one i own. This is crazy.

Kumomeme

If you follow the news, PS5 supply is actually very constraint right now, in Malaysia its impossible to find one at a normal price.

But i dont think you wanna know, i doubt you are a playstation fan, i mean we can see your post history.....
my friend who ordered through official Sony store only get his PS5 after waiting for....6 month.

ranmafan

The supply issues here have been terrible and seem to be getting worse. And considering the current software situation here in Japan I’m sure Sony is shifting more units to america and Europe right now.

its a shame Sony can’t and seemingly won’t do more to help the situation in Japan. Of course supply issues are a problem everywhere, but one thing I’ve noticed lately when talking to people, especially young people, is there is an excitement for ps5, more so than PS4. But no one can get one unless you were super lucky. I still can’t believe I was able to get one. Of course the switch is king and will remain that way but Sony’s supply issues will effect its reputation here in Japan in the long term.

still quite surprised at Xbox’s new small but significant success here. There’s been no promotion, the systems aren’t be sold pretty much anywhere, constantly selling out from where ever they sale them, and it’s gaining some followers. I doubt it will really make much of a dent in the end, but already passing Xbox one numbers with almost no word of mouth is quite amazing.

Deerock71

It's really not difficult to discern that they sold every PS5 that was available. The Xbox Series is having something of a surge in Japan, but they wouldn't be outselling the PS5 if both were stocked appropriately.

Bryank75

Banned
I know that it is a supply issue but.... that is a joke.

Japan should get at least 20k weekly. Jim is doing a great job between shuttering Japan studio, needlessly changing select button, lack of investment in Japanese studios and this lack of stock along with other issues...of really making Japan seem like an afterthought.

At this stage, I just cannot wait for Jim Ryan to be gone and for leadership to move back to Japan. This needs to happen. Soon.

Lupin25

Japan should get at least 20k weekly. Jim is doing a great job between shuttering Japan studio, needlessly changing select button, lack of investment in Japanese studios and this lack of stock along with other issues...of really making Japan seem like an afterthought.

At this stage, I just cannot wait for Jim Ryan to be gone and for leadership to move back to Japan. This needs to happen. Soon.

How long are you going to keep up this shtick lol?

Sony/Playstation is succeeding more than ever. At this this point, Jim Ryan isn’t going anywhere until he retires.

And you can’t be serious OP lol, look at the 2nd number.

Yeah...i can't believe the guy that:

. As a first move back in 2019 actually gave PSNow its second life by reducing its price and investing in better in new games for it;
. Managed the Insomniac acquisition which Sony couldn't do for over a decade;
. Managed 5 other studio acquisitions this year alone; (more than the entire time the previous CEO was there);
. Chose Herman, someone that's highly experienced in managing one of their biggest gaming studios to oversee all the WW studios, which we still aren't feeling its effect.

...is still there!

They should bring back the previous team...the one that closed Evolution studios and other 3 or 4 studios, started to charge for online gaming, etc...

Now seriously...Jim is an extension of what the previous CEO was doing. PS4 was already "leaving" Japan. PS3 was also a lot less successful than the PS2 already. But no one can say Sony isn't investing on Japanese and Asian emerging markets in general. Look at all the deals with Square-Enix, Persona series, Genshin Impact, China in general...even after closing down Sony Japan they still gave the only subdivision a chance instead of closing it all.

Sony, just like Nintendo and MS have never been this healthy and with as many videogames in full production.

Your post is odd. Sony not investing as much in Japan is a result of the market itself rejecting home consoles. And in a time they can barely produce enough consoles to the countries that want them...why send them to a country that's not buying much software or exporting it to other countries anyway?

Mattyp

Gold Member
PlayStation don’t give a shit about the Japanese market anymore where they know its safe when stocks finally get easier, they need to land as many units as possible in NA and European markets to counter xbox early on.

If I was a Japanese living in Japan I would be absolutely fucking livid that’s how a home grown company now treats them. This has been a slow burn of happening since the move to Cali happened.

Japan used to get every gen first, before anyone else in the world. The way it should be for a company created in said country, we now have world wide launches great for the rest of us but the stock being sent to Japan is an insult.

S0ULZB0URNE

I think this is as close as it has ever got between Playstation and Xbox. I don't remember it's ever this close, not even in PS3 era

Also I think this is the lowest Playstation weekly number ever. Even PS3 typically hovered around 7-10K, it's never this low

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 68,796 (377,001)
  2. Switch – 60,512 (17,454,460)
  3. Switch Lite – 38,470 (4,195,309)
  4. PlayStation 5 – 4,134 (988,400)
  5. Xbox Series X – 2,203 (69,919)
  6. Xbox Series S – 1,219 (52,218)
  7. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 365 (1,177,353)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 188 (7,818,813)
  9. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 173 (188,845)

So is this really supply issue?........ or more like a demand issue? Has Japan totally given up on Playstation brand?
dgqI8c8.gif

Skifi28

How can Nintendo produce so much more than the competition? Are they allocation most of their units to Japan or something?

supernova8

Banned
Most annoying is the fucking scalpers are loving it. A few months back scalper prices (I'm basing this on Mercari listings) calmed down to about 80,000 yen for a standard (disc PS5). I just checked and they are all well over 100,000 yen (some even going for fucking 140,000 yen). Probably because it's approaching Christmas but still it's an absolute fucking joke.

I'm just sick of this modern age where you cannot buy certain things at a normal price without programming a fucking algorithm.

demonstr8

I don't think you understand, or care, how bad the stock situation is for Sony and to a slightly lesser degree, Microsoft. Pressure from China, droughts in Taiwan, scalpers going ballistic because they're making bank and finding new ways to get around general buyers every week, this isn't even going yet into the smaller but none the less impactful things like the fact that scalpers don't buy software, the price rise of 1st party games, the new strategy of putting 1st party games on PC, the closure of Japan Studio, although much smaller in scope, we don't know the short/medium/long term impacts of these effects because there is no stock anyway. It's kind of like a perfect shit storm of terrible things for Sony right now but at least they are keeping up with the PS4s pace but as their figures come out we are going to see at what cost. The cost of PC parts are definitely in their favor right now but that won't last forever. I'm not saying it's good or bad one way or another but yes the issue in Japan is currently no stock.
How can Nintendo produce so much more than the competition? Are they allocation most of their units to Japan or something?
Nintendo bought old chips that were mostly already manufactured, if that has changed somehow recently it's news to me and I'm happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Neither has much supply here. We'll see what the demand looks like in a couple of years.
Nintendo bought old chips that were mostly already manufactured, if that has changed somehow recently it's news to me and I'm happy to be corrected.
However true it was at the outset--I don't know one way or the other whether the chips were actually pressed or just using the established design--every Switch from the Lite and red box onward has used a revamped version of the chips on a smaller process node (hence the battery savings).

As to how they're able to produce more, it has a well established production/distribution chain, it's using a less in-demand process node, and it's a much smaller chip would be my guess. Even so, they had to cut estimates for the year simply because they couldn't build enough. I can only imagine how much if a headache it is for MS/Sony.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Smaller die so more chips per wafer (switch chip is like 1/3 the size of the other 2), smaller physical product with fewer parts (faster to manufacture, easier to ship),

Supply is limited. Which means sony will ship more to places they have a bigger audience. Which is the US and most parts of Europe. Japan isn't priority anymore.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Even if supply suddenly increased, we'd see decent numbers for a few weeks and then numbers would drop to sub 10k a week.

Supply is low there because demand is low. Nothing much more to see.

PlayStation don’t give a shit about the Japanese market anymore where they know its safe when stocks finally get easier, they need to land as many units as possible in NA and European markets to counter xbox early on.

If I was a Japanese living in Japan I would be absolutely fucking livid that’s how a home grown company now treats them. This has been a slow burn of happening since the move to Cali happened.

Japan used to get every gen first, before anyone else in the world. The way it should be for a company created in said country, we now have world wide launches great for the rest of us but the stock being sent to Japan is an insult.

I would be livid too, if a globally well known, beloved local brand makes the home country secondary. Jimbo also seems like has low regard for Japanese market....

I think we are seeing some backlash here, Japanese giving up on PS brand

Aenima

This has been a slow burn of happening since the move to Cali happened.

PS4 was launched in Japan 3 months after the western release. PS5 was released in Japan in the same day as the western release.

Fredrik

I doubt that we can draw any conclusion about sales numbers for PS5 and XSX anywhere. Maybe there is some odd country somewhere where these consoles are sitting on the shelves but in Japan, US, big european countries we’re just looking at manufacture numbers. They’re selling everything they can make. And Sony has so far manufactured more, so they’re leading. Nothing nore to say really. 🤷‍♂️

On that note, electronics manufacturing is what put food on my table. And things are getting worse. There is an industry wide component supply problem right now that is incredibly difficult to handle. At my place we’re changing some products and completely pausing others to secure components for those we know sell the most since some components simply can’t be bought. Previously we had people searching components at the cheapest prices, now we have people searching for components at any prices working with people reconstructing the circuits boards so we can use alternative components. The industry is broken.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I doubt that we can draw any conclusion about sales numbers for PS5 and XSX anywhere. Maybe there is some odd country somewhere where these consoles are sitting on the shelves but in Japan, US, big european countries we’re just looking at manufacture numbers. They’re selling everything they can make. And Sony has so far manufactured more, so they’re leading. Nothing nore to say really. 🤷‍♂️

On that note, electronics manufacturing is what put food on my table. And things are getting worse. There is an industry wide component supply problem right now that is incredibly difficult to handle. At my place we’re changing some products and completely pausing others to secure components for those we know sell the most since some components simply can’t be bought. Previously we had people searching components at the cheapest prices, now we have people searching for components at any prices working with people reconstructing the circuits boards so we can use alternative components. The industry is broken.
People have been trying to say this for months, but it's always the same arguments.

XBOX only won because PS5 was sold out, PS5 won because it's in high demand.

The fact is (and has been since these consoles launched) whoever makes more, sells more. Full Stop.

Marty-McFly

Banned

I think based on historical evidence and the fact that both are giant consoles with westernised games that don't appeal to the Japanese audience whatsoever, we can surmise that Japan will be a very weak market for both platforms. The thing is though, is that Sony has more to lose in Japan with its continued decline in this region, and Xbox can go nowhere but up because the One was selling mere hundreds a week in Japan last generation.

I'm not sure if PS5 is still ahead of PS4 launch alligned in Japan, but if it is it's soon to fall behind at this rate and its software situation looks much more bleak this gen as well. Hardware launch sales are not sustainable with virtually no software that hits big in the region.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I would be livid too, if a globally well known, beloved local brand makes the home country secondary. Jimbo also seems like has low regard for Japanese market....

I think we are seeing some backlash here, Japanese giving up on PS brand
wtf did i just read, this like flat earther conspiracies - what are you talking about, if they don't have supply how does that reflect the markets interest.

Goalus

It is a concerning situation for sure.
The glorious green master rats are on the rise, no doubt. Not just in Japan.

But we still have the UK boxed charts that those who are unhappy with the situation can cling to.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah...i can't believe the guy that:

. As a first move back in 2019 actually gave PSNow its second life by reducing its price and investing in better in new games for it;
. Managed the Insomniac acquisition which Sony couldn't do for over a decade;
. Managed 5 other studio acquisitions this year alone; (more than the entire time the previous CEO was there);
. Chose Herman, someone that's highly experienced in managing one of their biggest gaming studios to oversee all the WW studios, which we still aren't feeling its effect.

...is still there!

They should bring back the previous team...the one that closed Evolution studios and other 3 or 4 studios, started to charge for online gaming, etc...

Now seriously...Jim is an extension of what the previous CEO was doing. PS4 was already "leaving" Japan. PS3 was also a lot less successful than the PS2 already. But no one can say Sony isn't investing on Japanese and Asian emerging markets in general. Look at all the deals with Square-Enix, Persona series, Genshin Impact, China in general...even after closing down Sony Japan they still gave the only subdivision a chance instead of closing it all.

Sony, just like Nintendo and MS have never been this healthy and with as many videogames in full production.

Your post is odd. Sony not investing as much in Japan is a result of the market itself rejecting home consoles. And in a time they can barely produce enough consoles to the countries that want them...why send them to a country that's not buying much software or exporting it to other countries anyway?

The guy that raised game prices across the board for first party and is charging for upgrades to games you already own?

The guy who said he believed in generations?

The guy who shut down Japan Studio and got rid of legendary people like the producer of Bloodborne?

The guy who decided to close the PS3 and PSP/vita store and gave developers just a few weeks notice and had to reverse the whole thing?

The guy who talks about hundreds of millions playing PS Studios games..... puts the games on PC and they barely sell over 1 million and he talks about it like it is some huge achievement?

The guy who is allowing the competition to control the narrative in the media for 99% of the time?

Also PSNow is something I really want to die... subscription gaming and cloud gaming is crap IMO.

Jim 'things are tight' Ryan..... can't wait for his next GQ interview, since every gamer has a subscription there. He relates to us so well.... you know, he just 'gets it'!

I don't give passes on complete incompetence..... I'll let you all know when I see something good from him.

The latest thing was hilarious..... He releases a big statement about Activision and how terrible they are and then a day or two later an ex Sony employee is suing them for wrongful termination and says Sony has many of the same issues. He is the one who created the situation that led to her being jobless BTW.

Leadership needs to go back to Japan, moving it to California is the worst thing that ever happened and every american and european should be removed from the upper management. Cause they don't have a clue....useless, bloody USELESS.

Last edited:
Gloat about what exactly? Not ever winning a generation or being a distant third threw most of it’s existance?

Btw i thought green rats hated sales threads….

in 20 years of its existence, Xbox never beaten Playstation in weekly number in Japan......if it happens, it would be a historic moment

Kagey K

Banned
The thing is though, is that Sony has more to lose in Japan with its continued decline in this region, and Xbox can go nowhere but up because the One was selling mere hundreds a week in Japan last generation.
This isn't just about Japan, I'm sure they are going to feel it globally this gen, and I've said it since before the PS5 and Series consoles were announced.

Kagey K

Banned
What an incredible inferiority complex all over game console ownership. There is more to life than tying your identity to a video game system and sales threads.
It's probably better just bash the games in thier OTs instead.

That way you don't have to bring pesky facts into the equation.

Last edited:
People think this is only in Japan but plenty of countries even in europe barely get any PS5 consoles.
Outside of Europe i think India has had a laughable amount of consoles as well. I spoke to someone there that he told me it's like it was never even released.

Feels like it's clearly being distributed to the USA, UK, other key markets in Europe like Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc...the big ones that Sony wants to distance themselves from MS the most.

I live in Portugal and we got some units recently...but sold out everywhere in less than 5 minutes. But this is Sonyland. I've seen Switch OLED consoles, Series S consoles even a Series X once in front of me when i wasn't even looking for them. The only PS5 i saw so far is the one i own. This is crazy.
Portugal é mesmo Sonyland.

But yeah, clearly Sony is focusing on the big markets, where they can distance themselves from Xbox. Japan is not the big home console market we've grown to know. The Switch there is the only exception but it's probably used more as an handheld than a home console. I live in a market that it's close to Japan, and they basically share the same ideals. Home consoles are mostly a no go for them.

Why would Sony invest when the big home console market lies in the west?

Top Bottom