• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Switch 2 is not BC with Switch 1. Hypothetically.

If Switch 2 is not backwards compatible would it affect your buying decisions?

• 1.) It makes no difference, I will purchase.

Votes: 51 26.7%
  • 2.) Nintendo will anger me, and I will not be purchasing

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • 3.) Honestly, depends on Software, pricing, and if they "Re-release" big Switch titles as 4k edition

Votes: 59 30.9%

• Total voters
Recently with more speculation that new Nintendo hardware could launch in 2023 or 2024. I was reviewing the older threads on different sites talking about potential hardware from Nvidia, which leads me to this question.

This is not a flame war, or anything. Just a hypothetical.

IF Nvidia hardware is changed and current Switch is not BC on the next hardware, would it affect your decision to purchase?

Hypothetically, if it is not possible to have BC...I could see Nintendo releasing certain titles from Switch as "Deluxe 4k" editions on Switch 2. Similar to how Wii U games were ported to Switch. I think it would both satisfy some consumers and also make some consumers angry. Which, leads me to wonder how the more educated in GAF, ERA, etc would feel if it was NOT BC?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Hypothetically, if it is not possible to have BC...I could see Nintendo releasing certain titles from Switch as "Deluxe 4k" editions on Switch 2. Similar to how Wii U games were ported to Switch.
The problem with this is that WiiU was a commercial failure, so all the best games got a chance to shine again on the Switch.

Not now - Switch is an unmitigated success, Nintendo is swimming in cash and has no excuse now.

I really cannot fathom a scenario where the next console will be anything else than Switch 2 - the market has proven that the concept of console + handheld works incredibly well.

Knowing Nintendo though they will get once gain stupid idea to go standalone + handheld in the thought they will capture the market from Sony and Microsoft.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's pointless speculation since I'm 99.9% sure the next Switch will build upon the current one and be fully BC, but it would maybe make me hesitate a bit more. Would still probably get it though, especially if BOTW2 is a better experience on it.

You’ve got to understand the Nintendo community (I own an oled switch), they will buy anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything. Quadruple dip on Mario? Quintuple dip and Pokémon? Zelda part 5? No backwards compatibility? Iphone 3 processor? 340p? Sign me up!

*no, I do t think it matters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You’ve got to understand the Nintendo community (I own an oled switch), they will buy anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything. Quadruple dip on Mario? Quintuple dip and Pokémon? Zelda part 5? No backwards compatibility? Iphone 3 processor? 340p? Sign me up!

Nintendo need to ensure the next console appeals to as many people as possible and not just the Nintendo community. That's why the Switch is a success. In which case, it would be foolish not to make the next console BC with the current switch.

Look at the Wii U. Didn't go down well with a majority of consumers and ended up a failure.

Lunarorbit

Just looking through my digital collection on ps4 and Ps5 libraries this past week as I wasn't really in the mood to play anything. As shitty as the play store can be I can eventually find things and it'll tell me if I own it on an older console.

I waited in line at toys r us for the switch on launch. It's been a nice machine. I'm not interested in fucking around and waiting for Nintendo to join the 21st century in terms of BC and internet infrastructure.

Markio128

As much as I’d love a new Nintendo console able to compete visually with Xbox/PS, as long as Nintendo fans continue to buy the Switch in droves, it just ain’t gonna happen.

As for back-compatibility, they’d be crazy to leave the Switch catalogue behind, when some of the oldest games still sell like crazy.

I’m definitely intrigued to see the next Nintendo console, in whatever guise it takes.

Mister Wolf

I would love to play my old stuff like Xenoblade 2 running better on new hardware but if it in any way holds the new tech back then I'm willing to dump it.

Lasha

I will buy once a game I like comes out. I would be baffled if BC was off the table since Nintendo has attempted BC since GBA.

Orta

Banned
I'll be livid if they screw us out of free BC.

Hopefully having sold so many tens of millions of copies of stuff like MK8, etc Nintendo might not fancy pissing off so many people. They done if with WiiU to Switch as nobody bought WiiU games :messenger_pouting:

Interfectum

I'll still get it. I'm not going to die with my digital collections and I want to play new stuff.

It would suck though and they would get tons of bad PR for it no doubt.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't keep Nintendo games. The good side to them never dropping price is that you can usually buy them used, play them and then resell them for the same price. It's like free renting with a $45-50 deposit.
So I don't really have a collection of Switch games and a follow up not being backwards compatible wouldn't be much of a factor for me.

My guess is Switch 2 will be backwards compatible but it won't enhance OG Switch games (beyond staying closer to their FPS and resolution target). But instead of $10 next gen patches they'll just release full priced "remasters" of most major games as a separate release. So you can play your backwards compatible Breath of the Wild capped at 900p and 30fps or you can drop $60 on the remastered version at 1440p, 60fps and other enhancements.

Topher

Gold Member
For a handheld? Tell us more... Next you will tell me Stem Deck is shit weak hardware too.

Switch was designed to be both a handheld and a "table" console. That is where the name "Switch" comes from.

Not sure what the point here is either way. You have a gif of average consumers rushing to buy a PS4 back in 2013 which happened to be the hot holiday item that year. What does that prove?

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
first of all
Threaten Talladega Nights GIF

secondly I will purchase the new switch of course.
american psycho dancing GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

This post is pretty ironic given that Nintendo got to re-release a bunch of games on Switch because so few had played them on the WiiU making them 'new to me' games for a big portion of switch owners.

Offering a switch 2 without BC is very dangerous for Nintendo. Even with BC it's very dangerous.

With BC) they would likely be stuck in a situation where most of their current user base won't upgrade, resulting in lower sales numbers.

Without BC) there would be massive backlash.

Actually, a more "Nintendo" way of doing things would be to eschew the hypothetical "switch 2" altogether and go back to the home console/portable console route again with a "switch 2 lite" and a home console with interchangable games. The main issue with the business model before was that their development resources were spread too thin over having two separate platforms/devices. With a non-hybrid model today, they would still yield substantial benefits from not splitting their development resources anymore.

Nintendo could also continue with having a hybrid console like the normal Switch today, but I really believe it would be folly to eschew the home TV/console market like they have been doing. It was fine for 1 generation to get their development lines synced up.

If it is not Backwards Compatible, I can see Nintendo releasing enhanced ports of Switch titles.

For example:

BOTW- 60 fps, better textures, more enemies, DLC all boxed in.

Mario Golf Super Rush - better textures, 60 fps, more courses, online tournaments, etc.

Pokemon Arceus - 60 FPS, better textures, maybe DLC.

This is kind of what I could see if they don't add BC. I think it is an interesting debate which is better. Because in my mind, while those are positives, it erodes confidence in digital purchases and Nintendo Online.

The conspiracy theorist side of me wonders if this is why nintendo are releasing certain titles in a "less than complete" state?

Last edited:
Since feeling burned by the WiiU, I’ve only bought Nintendo consoles when a new Metroid comes out, so it depends on if/when/how Metroid Prime 4 actually materializes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The PS community in 2013 bought the most powerful console on the market at the time. Wii sold over 100+ million as well and it was the weakest console at the time.
That came with weak hardware for 2013 and without BC. Wii had BC.

KellyNole

It would not be a smart move for Nintendo not to have backwards compatibility. They would lose a lot of potential purchases of current Switch software on the new system. Nintendo could keep selling games that have already been developed. They would have a full library of games ready to go for all new owners to go along side new software that is being developed.

In terms of me, I would still buy because I like Nintendo games. With BC, it would be a launch buy. If not, it depends on what is coming out year one. I got the Switch day one because of Zelda. If it didn't release with Zelda, I would probably wait until about a year in to buy it.

Topher

Gold Member
That came with weak hardware for 2013 and without BC. Wii had BC.

While that is true, the popularity of Wii wasn't due to power or BC. Just as lack of power wasn't the reason the Wii U failed despite having BC. Suggesting the "Nintendo community" has power in mind when they buy Nintendo consoles is simply false.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Fuck this, no buy ?

Coming from the Wii U, Nintendo gave the middle finger to all its previous consumers. I won't be buying another console from them anytime soon, unless they come back to respecting me. I am perfectly fine on 3DS and Wii U actually.

Mitsurux

The "Next" Switch not having BC would really be a missed opportunity, both for the company and customers. Wii to WiiU shows what they can do...
I think as customers at the very least we are expecting our "digital" library's to follow us moving forward.

This all brings to question what will the next system be, a continuation of the "Switch" family, or some radical alteration? What ever it is they will need to be very clear in the marketing what it is and how/if it relates to the previous system.

Mitsurux

Fuck this, no buy ?

Coming from the Wii U, Nintendo gave the middle finger to all its previous consumers. I won't be buying another console from them anytime soon, unless they come back to respecting me. I am perfectly fine on 3DS and Wii U actually.
While the Wii-U was a sales failure, its BC with Wii was not, all digital games carried over, it was compatible with disc games, Wii cotrollers and accessories were compatible. (You could even buy some full Wii games digitally on the e-shop).

jaysius

Banned
They're going to resell the Switch "remasters" in not even 4k but maybe 1440p that the next thing might be able to do.

Of course it won't be backwards compatible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it may very well happen, with Nintendo dumping the cartridge slot like they did on DS Lite.

Digital buyers will be safer if bc happens.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
While that is true, the popularity of Wii wasn't due to power or BC. Just as lack of power wasn't the reason the Wii U failed despite having BC. Suggesting the "Nintendo community" has power in mind when they buy Nintendo consoles is simply false.
Who suggested that? The discussion was about Nintendo community buying anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything, affirmation that is not true.

AndrewRyan

Before the Steam Deck I was building a portable library on Switch. That's over now except for exclusives. The collection is valuable to me so it's not a stretch to say our future relationship hinges on how Nintendo manages it.

Topher

Gold Member
Who suggested that? The discussion was about Nintendo community buying anything and everything Nintendo, regardless of anything, affirmation that is not true.

Wasn't your entire point that the Nintendo community would not buy "weak shit" without BC like the PS4. Maybe I misunderstood.

Top Bottom