• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What If Microsoft And Sony Worked Together On GamePass

Would you pay $19.99/month for GamePass if it functioned the way it is spelled out in the OP?

• Total voters

Great Hair

Banned
9Cij8to.jpg
iu
Waiting GIF

Paasei

GamePass is great for as long as it remains optional, next to just buying games. There are tons of games on there, but I'm not interested in more than half of them. That means the value of it highly depends on who you ask. If Sony does this too, then I can already see it happening to become the only way to play games. I would never support that.

Iced Arcade

I absolutely love gamepass but looks like $240 US a year, roughly $305 Canadian then add 15% sales tax makes it $350... Which makes that fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I will quit gaming.

The fun in gaming is competition. Without that, we will get cable tv.

Edit: The beauty of gamepass, is that its different what playstation offers. You cant find value that is close to it.

I would like Sony to do their own gamepass. That is better value, than merging with xbox gamepass.
basically im a fanboy and i want console war ?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Right now GamePass is a $14.99/month subscription. If Microsoft and Sony were to work together they could increase this to $19.99/month and have both companies' games be playable from the same GamePass subscription service. Playstation games on GamePass would still only be playable on Playstation consoles, and Xbox games would still only be playable on Xbox consoles. The reason I specify this is that by keeping them brand-specific it is still encouraging both companies to remain competitive in hardware, which should also keep the software (games) competitive as they still want people to use their console for their exclusive games.

The way I am thinking about it Sony would benefit from Microsoft's existing GamePass infrastructure (which I truly believe beats the pants off of PS Now). Microsoft would take an up-front hit as profits would be split between the two companies, but they would also be able to expand GamePass to reach the Playstation user-base which means their overall GamePass subscribers would increase which would (in theory) make up for any losses caused by splitting the revenue with Sony, and it could lead to greater overall profits. Especially if Sony ditched PS Now and split the infrastructure cost for GamePass as well.

PC users would benefit the most from this as both Playstation and Xbox are allowing their games to come to PC now. But Playstation users would also benefit since they would have (what I believe to be) a better subscription-based service for getting their games versus what they have now. Granted, not everyone wants to use a subscription service for games, and that's fine. I'm one of those people. But I was thinking about this today and I thought that this would be a pretty awesome team-up. If the price for the subscription just went up $5/month that wouldn't be too far off what it currently is, and it still seems acceptable to me. Heck, my Alamo Season Pass is $19.99/month. That lets me see only 1 movie per day, and I don't even see more than two movies per month on most months.

So what are your thoughts? Am I missing something that would cause this to be a definite flop? I get that neither company probably wants to get in bed with the other for this, but this is a "what if" scenario. Would you get GamePass at the higher price point if it gave you the option to have games for both consoles on their respective consoles? Am I insane for even entertaining this idea? It's possible I'm smooth-braining it right now and I just need someone to explain why. :D
Gamepass is $9.99. Ultimate is $14.99

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why do Sony fans continue to think MS will ditch it's two advantages in the console race.
1. Bethesda and other studio aquisitions
2. Gamepass

No reason to give Sony any part of either.

If Sony wants to put God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Forbidden West on Xbox then maybe they would talk....not going to happen so quit acting like it's possible.

MonarchJT

Banned
I have no ideia why some guys started to think that Sony should do what MS does.

We don’t want that.
what? most playstation users absolutely would love it . I'm sure that a Sony gamepass would make more user than Xbox gamepass in the same time frame.
But I'm alsosure 5hat sony know it and 100% soon will make their gamepass copy

Last edited:
I wonder what the gaming landscape would look like if there was simply one games console that plays everything. We would go from console fanboys to publisher fanboys instead.

what? most playstation users absolutely would love it . I'm sure that a Sony gamepass it would make more user than Xbox gamepas in the same time frame.
But I'm sure sony know it and I'm sure 100% soon will make their gamepas copy

But sony makes a lot of money off the sales of their 1st party games. Why should they abandon that by putting them into a subscription service instead? as a customer I would like it but as a business, it makes no sense for sony right now and that's why they won't do it until they see a decline.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
But sony makes a lot of money off the sales of their 1st party games. Why should they abandon that by putting them into a subscription service instead? as a customer I would like it but as a business, it makes no sense for sony right now and that's why they won't do it until they see a decline.

easy answer subscription services (if works) give companies more money.
as example ; I work almost all week and have very little free time but as a fan I am a subscriber to gp ultimate. Microsoft taking my money also if i in reality play very very little VERY little . If i didn't have 100% gp I would have bought you a maximum of 1 game a year

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
As long as we're trotting out absurd hypotheticals: What if Superman became a permanent part of the MCU? What if Nintendo started an ecchi harem anime series centered around Mario?

I voted 'No'. I wouldn't pay for this.

kingfey

Banned
basically im a fanboy and i want console war ?
If you get 2 competitors working on 1 gaming service, you lose the desire for competition.

I want to see what apple and Samsung is doing. Every year, both of them push the technology further. Mobile phones advanced so fast, because of the competition. If it weren't for that, we would have flip phones right now.

Kokoloko85

I guess if its all about selling gamepass and not consoles for Xbox. Than MS can create a 1st party games version of Gamepass and release it on Switch and Playstation

as example ; I work almost all week and have very little free time but as a fan I am a subscriber to gp ultimate. Microsoft taking my money also if i in reality play very very little VERY little . If i didn't have 100% gp I would have bought you a maximum of 1 game a year
Same for Netflix. My gf pays 150 bucks a year or so for that shit. We watch maybe 3-4 series a year on it (max). Would she ever pay for DVDs of said series? Hell no. But Netflix makes good money off her.

ethomaz

Banned
what? most playstation users absolutely would love it . I'm sure that a Sony gamepass would make more user than Xbox gamepass in the same time frame.
But I'm alsosure 5hat sony know it and 100% soon will make their gamepass copy
Source?

Most PS users I talk didn't like the ideia due how it changes the development pipeline delivery and quality.
Seems like this "most playstation users absolutely would love it" is just another made up claim lol

Last edited:

kyoji

Bruh please stop… u have no idea what tf u talking about

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The only one benefitting would be Sony. Stupid idea.
That's my thinking too.

Game Pass has like 20 million subs and PSNow has 1/10 that number. Xbox also has a successful platform and the infrastructure that runs it. Why should they give away half of the Game Pass income to Sony - what benefit would Sony adding to Xbox and Xbox gamers?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not for me. GP for Xbox and PS5 for exclusives that I will buy 2nd hand (except GT7) cause I ain't got time too play them so I may as well buy cheap later on.

Kerotan

Sonys output is not worth just an extra $5 a month on top of the price lmao. Sony is the A side and is dominating the console battle between playstation and xbox. Only MS would gain from this.

Dr.brain64

A gamepass type service could become the norm in the future but I will reject it for as long as I can.

A "definitely not" from me.

OP I do not wish upon you a ban :messenger_winking:

MonarchJT

Banned
Source?

Most PS users I talk didn't like the ideia due how it changes the development pipeline delivery and quality.
Seems like this "most playstation users absolutely would love it" is just another made up claim lol
what value changed in forza Horizon 5 , Flight sim, Halo infinite ,Ori, gears 5....this idea that quality it lowers if a title is destined for GP is just fantasyland the proof are out there . My source is simply the value for the money .....if Sony had a service for 9.99 euro instead of 81 euro that would give their first party titles every playstation user would love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom