• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened with Gears 5? Took Fortnite's 1st place at launch as most played game ( US ), now is far away

BigLee74

Another attempt to defend Gears from a well known MS blow hard, standard.

Gears has always been about the MP but I think you knew that, cheeky boy.

Personally I can't wait for the NPD :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is that your best comeback? Really? 😂 Imitation is the best form of flattery, so cheers! Even if woefully misplaced though - for example, you'd never catch me starting threads to diss Sony or a Sony game, or even entering a thread for a game I don't play, because I'm not that childish. But I'll happily call you sad-sacks out on such behabiour.

Returning to topic in hand, Gears MP was big when MP games were few and far between, but has never been for the casual, and could never retain numbers a la Fortnite, COD etc. Still, I'm pretty sure millions of players are more than happy they got to play the tip-top campaign on Gamepass, and are hoping for many more games of similar quality in the future.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I played like four hours and never went back. Nothing bad, but it felt like Gears 4 and the story is nonsensical. There was noting to draw me back, good thing it was effectively free.

demigod

Is that your best comeback? Really? 😂 Imitation is the best form of flattery, so cheers! Even if woefully misplaced though - for example, you'd never catch me starting threads to diss Sony or a Sony game, or even entering a thread for a game I don't play, because I'm not that childish. But I'll happily call you sad-sacks out on such behabiour.

Returning to topic in hand, Gears MP was big when MP games were few and far between, but has never been for the casual, and could never retain numbers a la Fortnite, COD etc. Still, I'm pretty sure millions of players are more than happy they got to play the tip-top campaign on Gamepass, and are hoping for many more games of similar quality in the future.

Apex Legends, NBA 2k20, GTA, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six, Minecraft, Borderlands 3, Roblox, Madden 20, RDR2, Rocket League, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, ARK, PUBG, games that aren't Fortnite or CoD. Go ahead keep making excuses :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BigLee74

Apex Legends, NBA 2k20, GTA, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six, Minecraft, Borderlands 3, Roblox, Madden 20, RDR2, Rocket League, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, ARK, PUBG, games that aren't Fortnite or CoD. Go ahead keep making excuses :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What excuses? You asked why (or rather your partner in crime did) and you've been told by several people that know better than those that haven't even turned an xbox on. Gears is not a big MP game and hasn't been for a while, so retention will be low. People play the single player, then move on. And I'm a perfect example of that. Enjoyed the SP (twice, solo and coop), played a few games of MP, and I'll likely not look at it again until I fancy another run through in a year or so. Try not to lose any sleep over it!

ancelotti

The open world is such a waste of time once you get over the novelty of the sled. They must have had plans for it at some point and then dialed them back for whatever reason. I think as a budget title or something to give their Game Pass value it's fine, but I couldn't imagine spending $60+ on such a lackluster campaign, and it doesn't seem like their multiplayer ideas are panning out either. It's unfortunate, because I do have a soft spot for the series, however it seems like MS studios lost so many of the people that made their franchises great, and now the new ones can't quite recapture the magic (or it's poor direction from the top).

demigod

What excuses? You asked why (or rather your partner in crime did) and you've been told by several people that know better than those that haven't even turned an xbox on. Gears is not a big MP game and hasn't been for a while, so retention will be low. People play the single player, then move on. And I'm a perfect example of that. Enjoyed the SP (twice, solo and coop), played a few games of MP, and I'll likely not look at it again until I fancy another run through in a year or so. Try not to lose any sleep over it!

Is that why it scored higher in MP than SP? Again, Gears is known for it's MP, not SP. Just face it, Gears of War is no longer what it used to be. I hope you can get some sleep over it!

kevin_trinh

Sonme XboxGaf tell me Gears is one of the best MP tittle of Ms, the other Xboxgaf told me nah the MP is shit, thats why its not on the chart. Who should i believe?:pie_thinking:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sonme XboxGaf tell me Gears is one of the best MP tittle of Ms, the other Xboxgaf told me nah the MP is shit, thats why its not on the chart. Who should i believe?:pie_thinking:
Don’t believe people on the internet, and especially not people from NeoGaf.

jtt935

Gears 5 mp is boring as hell. I play arcade and I swear it’s the same 3 maps over and over again. Leveling up is ridiculously unrewarding as well. Oh I get another banner and 5 scrap, sweet. I’m really hoping they bring some good stuff down the road but I’m sure I won’t care by then.

kevin_trinh

Thanks for proving my point, carry on brave warrior.
You still not answer my question. I see many Gaf member bring Gears as an example when saying Sony game has no MP. They said Gear is this Gear is that...But in this topic people said the opposite, that Gear is a SP with trash MP. Who’s telling the truth then? :pie_thinking:

gears mp is trash tho
Nahh. It's a unique third person, cover slidin', shotty-blasting, wall-bouncing fuckfest of fantastic fury, jolly-gelatinous gibs and heart-pounding moments of heroism.

Each to their own, of course, I'm glad ot exists and offers something different to myriad of military dudebro, shootbang, lootbox, battleroyales that plague us recently.

Last edited:

AorUlfheoinn

Neo Member
My opinion.. Gears is a multiplayer game. I mean they already have the upcoming support for the next years and all discussions on twitter or forum covers the multiplayer.

But is a bad multiplayer game.. Yes, I have fun but there are so many problems with everything. So many bugs, ping issues for all Europe, matchmaking issues, rank issues, lack of content, missing communication from the developer etc.

I used to play with a group of 5. Now I'm playing alone.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
People moved on to other games or went back to their favorites, I guess MP wasn't good enough to keep them entertained. I'm probably in the minority because of playing Gears of War games strictly for the singleplayer campaigns. After Gears 4 I've completely lost interest and didn't even play 5 "for free".

Last edited:

INC

Because its been the only big Xbox game...... since...... errrm....

So it's gonna be briefly popular

I enjoyed the campaign but I didn’t like the multiplayer with a lot of microtransactions and lack of multiplayer characters :/ it made me stop playing it

Pallas

You still not answer my question. I see many Gaf member bring Gears as an example when saying Sony game has no MP. They said Gear is this Gear is that...But in this topic people said the opposite, that Gear is a SP with trash MP. Who’s telling the truth then? :pie_thinking:
Not sure which GAF members you are referring to, I certainly don’t bring it up about Sony’s multiplayer games.
I just know that you have an incredibly heavy biased against the Xbox platform, you repeatedly speak ill of it, which hey it’s your right, warrior but it gets incredibly old with the shit posting. It was funny the first few times.

Journey

Banned
It just last for few days when Fortnite reached No.1 place again. Shouldn't Gamepass be big for Gears 5 for the next few months an hold it at the top?? Also read that game has some connection problems

Most played ( US )

GR3LFS9.jpg

UK

GOmxZbJ.jpg

You must be a big fan of Gears of War 5, I mean the way you keep track of this stuff is almost obsessive. Maybe it's time to stop playing so much GoW lol.

Top Bottom