• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened with Gears 5? Took Fortnite's 1st place at launch as most played game ( US ), now is far away

nikolino840

Italy

1TjxMKI.jpg

Norse

Gears isnt competing with fortnite. One takes a lot longer to play while one is far less time consuming. Campaign vs quick in n out play. At least for me. I don't play online mp games cept for mmo style games. I think many gears campaign players don't get into the mp cept for coop campaign.

Fitzchiv

I haven't played it, nor do I have an axe to grind, but surely the character of these charts is you see four or five big, constant names which tend to be the big, constant engagement titles like Fortnite, FIFA, Destiny, Minecraft, GTA etc, and then a much higher churn in other titles as they peak and drop off as people disengage once they've had their fill and the initial hype is over?

That basically makes it a "Gears 5 multiplayer isn't good enough to keep it alongside or above Fortnite, FIFA, Destiny, Minecraft" etc. Which is a bit of a no shit statement. From what I've read the campaign is good, it has good reviews, but clearly the multiplayer isn't a world beater.

It's a shame the charts are the way they are really, it almost needs a game mode version - campaign charts, multiplayer charts.

It’s hard to take you seriously though OP, no offense. I’ve seen you shitpost a lot about anything related to Xbox and Microsoft. So I’m not sure if you are trying to act concern for a brand you probably don’t support or if this is a anti-gamepass thread.

Yeah, i know that. Nevertheless, his is a legit question. What happened? Gears 5 was heavily marketed as Gamepass title. Gamepass should kept Gears 5 for many months at the top just because it's a new 1st party title, because MP and price of the GPU sub for 1$ or 2$. ( still is : https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join ) It didn't. Why is that? Maybe because people just played Gears 5 for 1/2$ and ditched it or game itself is "bad"?
"Anti-gamepass" you said? Game tanked on most played charts in the strongest Xbox markets ( US/UK ). So, exposing this is an "anti-gamepass" thread even though question is pretty legit "what happened".

Well, took charts from Xbox strongest markets - US and UK. IIRC, Germany is 2nd strongest in Europe for Xbox, France is 3rd

Last edited:
It's a shame the charts are the way they are really, it almost needs a game mode version - campaign charts, multiplayer charts.

But this chart is basically a multiplayer chart where you must be online, though. Co-op is multiplayer too, even in SP campaign.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why would you keep playing gears after finishing the campaign? Sure, it has multiplayer, but its mp is woefully inadequate compared to what is popular nowadays.

Kagey K

Banned
Anyone have the Mexican most played? They are the ones that really matter for Gears, I don’t know why.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Simple really, Fortnite is free and just more popular and majority of people choose base on which of their friends play. Why do you think Sony doesn't bother investing on MP these days? Because now matter how much money they put in to it, after while people usually go back to MP game that's most popular which theses days is Fortnite.

Last edited:

McCheese

Say what you like about him, but CliffyB knew how to make a fun, balanced multi player game.

Gears 1, 2 and 3 were all great. The latest two? Not so much.

Plus there is so much competition now, there were only a handful of AAA multiplayer shooter franchises back when Gear was wearing it's crown.

Kagey K

Banned
Say what you like about him, but CliffyB knew how to make a fun, balanced multi player game.

Plus there is so much competition now, there were only a handful of AAA multiplayer shooter franchises back when Gear was wearing it's crown.
For as much as everyone like giving MS shit about sales numbers, they show factual data on the games being played. Sony and Nintendo don’t and refuse to do that.
It seems hypocritical to whine about sales numbers, but not show what their customer base is actually playing.
It’s a very interesting circle.....

Last edited:

mejin

Epic and Cliff knew they did everything the could with the series and that's why they sold the rights of the franchise.

For as much as everyone like giving MS shit about sales numbers, they show factual data on the games being played. Sony and Nintendo don’t and refuse to do that.
It seems hypocritical to whine about sales numbers, but not show what their customer base is actually playing.
It’s a very interesting circle.....

oh, sure. people buy sony and nintendo games to store them in the closet.

AorUlfheoinn

Neo Member
The game is a broken mess at this point.

For 3 weeks now the ping for European servers is between 120 and 200. Same message, we are investigating. 3 weeks and one continent.

Second, the rank is acting strange for a lot of players.

Everyday there is an issues. Challenges that are not working, result not awarded etc.

Is a mess and players are quitting the game. Specially the ones in Europe..

Kagey K

Banned
Epic and Cliff knew they did everything the could with the series and that's why they sold the rights of the franchise.

oh, sure. people buy sony and nintendo games to store them in the closet.
I’m sure they buy MS games and do the same. Sales don’t equal time played, and right now only one company shows what people are actually playing on their machine.

Its funny how they are the company people accuse of hiding numbers, while they show the most numbers of what their customers are actually doing.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

The game is a broken mess at this point.

For 3 weeks now the ping for European servers is between 120 and 200. Same message, we are investigating. 3 weeks and one continent.

Second, the rank is acting strange for a lot of players.

Everyday there is an issues. Challenges that are not working, result not awarded etc.

Is a mess and players are quitting the game. Specially the ones in Europe..

So much for The Coalition.

mejin

I’m sure they buy MS games and do the same. Sales don’t equal time played, and right now only one company shows what people are actually playing on their machine.

Its funny how they are the company people accuse of hiding numbers, while they show the most numbers of what their customers are actually doing.

I will respect your opinion, but it doesn't make sense to me. Sony reveals the top sellers on psn every single month, for example. It is always a mix of launch titles and promos. So, when you have games like Crash, God of War and Spider still selling this is a more concrete data they could offer since it is obvious multiplayer games will get you more hours of gameplay.

Since MS only show what people are playing you can't really estimate what people are buying even if it is just for the satisfaction to just buy and not play. hell, f2p is f2p.

If we take Gears 5 as an specific example and considering the way MS PR works, game probably is doing bad numbers overall or else they would bragged hard on the internet and they are radio silent. They tried to save Sea of Thieves face with this tactic. Maybe they are still working on their waiting game.

I don't believe engagement without critical indicators tells you the whole situation and that's what we get from MS: incomplete data + MS PR + stupid analysis from gamebiz, forbes articles, etc. We have netflix the largest userbase in the market, but they are getting terrible results. Does it matter if people are watching this series or another? yes, cause if you don't watch it, they cut the show. But what do you get from MS info?

You are free to believe everything is fine with just this level of pointless infos imo, ofc.

Elios83

I guess what happened is that most people simply tried it with Gamepass at a really low price and they were done with it.
There is a reason why most publishers won't release their biggest games day one on services like Gamepass.
They would lose tons of money and sales. Right now Microsoft might justify this as an investement to push the service but the long term sustainability has to be proven. Giving away AAA games that costed dozens of millions to make if the result is just a monthly spike in subscriptions might not be worth it and I think they know it, hence they will use many of the teams they have recently bought to develop cheaper games that better fit this new business model.

So you rather see more numbers than relevant numbers? Hours shooting things in games tells no one anything about how many people bought it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It just last for few days when Fortnite reached No.1 place again. Shouldn't Gamepass be big for Gears 5 for the next few months an hold it at the top?? Also read that game has some connection problems

So TLoU multiplayer will outstrip Fortnite, Apex, GTA5, Destiny, Minecraft & CoD for months after release? People always go back to their game of the moment and what is most hot, and these games have been the top played for an entire generation. First party games never survive in the top multiplayer realm numbers for long. This shit gets incredibly old when every post about xbox you do is negative yet not owning the system or have even played the game you're making a fucking thread about.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I don't think anyone (even super fans) had any expectations of Gears topping fortnite for any length in time, or any other game for that matter. fortnite will generally stay on top till kids find a new "it" thing

BigLee74

Oof. Another day, another attempted dig at Gears and MS from a well known Sony blow hard. Standard.

Only what's to dig? Gears is a SP game, with a tacked on and very shallow MP experience that few stick with for more than a few rounds (me for example).

But I think you knew that, cheeky boy.

Caffeine

launch hype and then die down this happens with every release. cod will do the same but drop down to somewhere in the top 10.

FireFly

I dont know if they would end it so quick even if it was losing $$$

They want Gamepass to be this Netflix like service for games. I think it's going to lose money for a good while like Netflix
True, but if the $1/2$ promotion causes them to lose money *and* and fails to expand their subscriber base, then there is really no point in them continuing with it. Short term losses can be justified with long term gains, yes, but that means you need some prospect of long term gains in the first place. Hence, Netflix's strategy depends on continual growth, just like Amazon's did.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Gears has never been nor will ever be able to hold an audience like some of these other games on the list. It's still an awesome game, but I gotta be in the mood to play gears. Fortnite is a phenomenon even though I don't particularly care for it. GTA V....I mean come on...3 million players got Gears minimum vs. what...like 50 million GTA V? I don't know.

What's sad is that it's being beat by the likes of Ark: Non-Optimized Evolved. Fuck that game.

Gears 5 is a generic third person shooter with a try-hard story that falls flat on its face. I felt like I was playing something out of the PS360 generation.

I was also extremely disappointed with the graphics - the art direction is as generic as it gets. To make an argument against that some people can post pics of a couple of good looking sections at just the right angle - but you can do that for any game. On the whole, the game looks bland.

demigod

Oof. Another day, another attempted dig at Gears and MS from a well known Sony blow hard. Standard.

Only what's to dig? Gears is a SP game, with a tacked on and very shallow MP experience that few stick with for more than a few rounds (me for example).

But I think you knew that, cheeky boy.

Another attempt to defend Gears from a well known MS blow hard, standard.

Gears has always been about the MP but I think you knew that, cheeky boy.

Personally I can't wait for the NPD :messenger_tears_of_joy:

quickwhips

So is asking a question and agenda now? He literally just asked and wasn't console war baiting. Grow up
The question was fine. I mean why ask the questiom and not state that in original post. You guys are triggered quick sometimes.

Codes 208

If the gears subreddit is any indication I would say it has a bit to do with the following:
-balancing issues (gnasher is broken, lancer is surprisingly OP)
-the game is still buggy AF
-lack of characters (WHEN CARMINE!?)
-no one likes the new store setup.
-the progression system is a very slow grind.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the gears subreddit is any indication I would say it has a bit to do with the following:
-balancing issues (gnasher is broken, lancer is surprisingly OP)
-the game is still buggy AF
-lack of characters (WHEN CARMINE!?)
-no one likes the new store setup.
-the progression system is a very slow grind.

I don’t know why these suits and developers just don’t get it.

Psykodad

Banned
Simple really, Fortnite is free and just more popular and majority of people choose base on which of their friends play. Why do you think Sony doesn't bother investing on MP these days? Because now matter how much money they put in to it, after while people usually go back to MP game that's most popular which theses days is Fortnite.
Just an FYI, but Sony recently stated that they would slow down on the SP games and focus more on MP.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Another dumb anti-Xbox thread. Gears 5 is a very good game and sitting in the top 20 games played is not a negative.

So TLoU multiplayer will outstrip Fortnite, Apex, GTA5, Destiny, Minecraft & CoD for months after release? People always go back to their game of the moment and what is most hot, and these games have been the top played for an entire generation. First party games never survive in the top multiplayer realm numbers for long. This shit gets incredibly old when every post about xbox you do is negative yet not owning the system or have even played the game you're making a fucking thread about.

Uh. It's about Gamepass. You know, Gamepass push game sales, like Phil said..... Gears 5 was advertised to push Gamepass subs heavily. Hell, it's OK to open a thread like this one then? That surely don't bothers you.

3 million players in a week!!!!! Oh shit, man! UNBELIEVABLE! Gamepass, man........

Now, month has passed since launch and Gears 5 tanked heavily as most played game. It bothers you that fact?

But I think you knew that, cheeky boy

Yeah, yeah! Gears is well known for its multiplayer since first one.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I tried coop but it only supports 3 and one person has to be the worthless robot and it was buggy on top of that. So we tried horde mode and found that too boring. It is not good enough to earn a spot in our rotation of coop games. I don’t know the story enough to want to bother with SP since I only played the first 2 years ago. For me as not a fan of the franchise I just didn’t find it good enough to keep going with it.

Top Bottom