• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you recommend for someone “new” to gaming?

april6e

Life is Strange: Complete Season

Coming of age story featuring two teenage girls. Has supernatural and thriller twists. Requires no skill at video games. You simply click on things to hear the character's thoughts on them or to progress and sometimes have to make quick decisions (but you always can redo any decision).

It's a must play game for any general gamer

tenor.gif

4019.jpg

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Fun, easy going, amazing soundtrack and for a new gamer?

I recommend Journey. I love this game so much and I hope you consider it, OP. Let me know your thoughts if you try it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd suggest starting with more cinematic and narrative-driven games, especially those with a 'story' or easy difficulty mode. Some games that pop up:
  • Spider-Man PS4
  • Spider-Man PS5
  • The Last of Us
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • God of War (2018)
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Telltale: The Walking Dead
  • Telltale: Batman
  • Arkham Trilogy (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Knight)
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hellblade
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Ratchet & Clank 2016
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Once you have familiarized yourself with how games work, how camera controls work, how crafting, upgrades, and skill trees work in games, you can explore other games, such as:
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Ghost of Tsushima
Then there are some pretty good games that are a bit harder than usual:
  • Hades
  • Dark Souls
  • Demon's Souls
  • Bloodborne
  • Returnal
  • Hollow Knight
Hope it helps. Happy gaming!

kyliethicc

Okey, so I want your recommendations on what games I should play! I haven’t really played that many games by myself, but a lot of games with someone close to me! So I would say I’m not that good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Love games with a wonderful story, intriguing characters, amazing music and fun gameplay! I’m also open to games that are just fun and easygoing. Big fan of jrpg’s 💗 And I’m not afraid of trying a difficult game, I would love the challenge!

Oh, and games playable on switch & PS4/PS5!

Love to hear what you have to recommend! :goog_geek:

cat moe GIF
Rocket League

Knack

God of War (PS4)

The Last of Us & The Last of Us Part II

Knack 2

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon) are perfect for newcomers, easy to pick up and play. Sony's first party offerings (Spider-Man, The Last of Us, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima) are great too, because they look pretty, play well and have some great accessibility options for less skilled players.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The witness is a good puzzle game if not the best after myst ( myst is probably hard to play as its old ).

They are billions of you like real time strategy games.

heroes of the storm if you like dota's.

wow classic if you like mmo's

Anno 1800 or skyline cities if you like city builders

Mario if you like mario

Amnesia if you like horror games

I'd suggest starting with more cinematic and narrative-driven games, especially those with a 'story' or easy difficulty mode. Some games that pop up:
  • Spider-Man PS4
  • Spider-Man PS5
  • The Last of Us
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • God of War (2018)
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Telltale: The Walking Dead
  • Telltale: Batman
  • Arkham Trilogy (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Knight)
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hellblade
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Ratchet & Clank 2016
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Once you have familiarized yourself with how games work, how camera controls work, how crafting, upgrades, and skill trees work in games, you can explore other games, such as:
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Ghost of Tsushima
Then there are some pretty good games that are a bit harder than usual:
  • Hades
  • Dark Souls
  • Demon's Souls
  • Bloodborne
  • Returnal
  • Hollow Knight
Hope it helps. Happy gaming!
Amazing list, thank you!

bellome

Okey, so I want your recommendations on what games I should play! I haven’t really played that many games by myself, but a lot of games with someone close to me! So I would say I’m not that good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Love games with a wonderful story, intriguing characters, amazing music and fun gameplay! I’m also open to games that are just fun and easygoing. Big fan of jrpg’s 💗 And I’m not afraid of trying a difficult game, I would love the challenge!

Oh, and games playable on switch & PS4/PS5!

Love to hear what you have to recommend! :goog_geek:

cat moe GIF
Metro Exodus

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will look it up! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Oh, there's so many games i wish i could play again like its the first time, but then again I love the same games even on the 30th time :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Will you be getting a PS5?

junguler

Banned
i would say go 2d side scroller/rougle_lite/like, noita, dead cells, N++, shank 1/2, super time force, risk of rain etc etc ...

Last edited:

cireza

I second people who recommended Trials of Mana, Outer Wilds and Talos Principle.

Trials of Mana is a good way to be introduced to Japanese RPG, it is pretty easy and a very solid RPG. Avoid the Switch version, as it is super blurry as the majority of the third party games on this console. For a beginner, I'd rather recommend this than games that are way more demanding.
Outer Wilds and Talos Principle are great games that are about thinking and problem solving, not about great skills. These games are much more interesting than any modern action game in my opinion.
I would add Catherine to the list. Great experience as well. Not the Full Body, but the original version (available on Xbox and PC I think).
Also Shiren the Wanderer on PS Vita, Switch or PC. This is a strategy game. It is pretty complicated though, but one of the best games out there, and it is purely about thinking and solving problems. Best rogue-like ever.
Checking some older 16 bits games would be a good idea as well. Many timeless classics to discover, and they are very easy to get into.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
games playable on switch & PS4/PS5!

Love to hear what you have to recommend!

Genshin Impact.

It's F2P so you can easily try it for yourself.

It's also all about story and characters.

It's amazing on PS5.

Be careful tho. It can devour all your free time.

It has PC/Mobile/PS cross save and cross play so you can play it in coop with your friends and family.

Game has a very active community in here:

So feel free to come and join us. Good luck and have fun.

Game has a very active community in here:

So feel free to come and join us. Good luck and have fun.

I might check it out sometime, that OT thread name is hilarious

BlackM1st

Banned
I might check it out sometime, that OT thread name is hilarious
Now is the best time to join. Major update just dropped, they added a whole new region (Japan).

Next update is gonna be an anniversary one and will bring a lot of new stuff too, including new major hero release (God of Electro) and PS collaboration with a free Aloy from Horizon ZD for all PS players. She will be available for everyone else 1 month later.

Plus they will expand the new region even more and yeah, for the F2P you really can't go wrong with it. Story content alone will take a 10s of hours.

Aion002

Uncharted Collection, which is also available on the PS+ Instant Collection for the Ps5 (so you probably might already own it).

It contains the first 3 Uncharted games remastered for the Ps4. They're are easy to play, have a fun story, charming characters and solid gameplay.

I honestly believe that the Uncharted games are perfect for casuals and new gamers.

Another good one, also included on the Instant Collection, if you enjoy horror movies, is Until Dawn... Quite entertaining and well made.

Last edited:
Will you be uploading the picture of your newly bought PS5 on instagram as well?
No, and I know it was harsh but both parties know what both are going through. Very strong emotions and it was my way of getting them out. A lot has happened and both are hurt..
And i took it down short after.

Last edited:

small_law

Even after thirty years, I still think platformers are the best entry point. Navigating levels, prioritizing enemies, timing your inputs, etc. It's all there to learn at your own pace.

Bonus points for making it a Super Mario Brothers game. Try Super Mario Odyssey.

Even after thirty years, I still think platformers are the best entry point. Navigating levels, prioritizing enemies, timing your inputs, etc. It's all there to learn at your own pace.

Bonus points for making it a Super Mario Brothers game. Try Super Mario Odyssey.
Will definitely put it on the list ☺️

engstra

A lot of the Sony exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us 1&2, Shadow of the Colossus Remake are good entry points, super well-made but not overly challenging. Life is Strange is one of the best written games of the last generation so definitely pick that up.

Other than that there are absolutely tons of smaller/indie games to check out. Countless of metroidvanias like Yoku's Island Express, Ori series, Steamworld Dig 2, Hollowknight (pretty challenging). Recommend playing some of the greats like Limbo, Inside, Journey etc.

I highly recommend Fez as well, such a unique game with the best soundtrack of any game I've played.

Any casual games like a soccer game , if all his senses engaged with this type of s I give up on him cause this type of s kills curiosity to try something different.

Top Bottom