• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games were you best at?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Rampart-Arcade-Game-Stragety-Theme-Rental.jpg
I remember trying this. Had no idea what the fuck I was doing. lol

Metal Gear Solid. Used to play The Twin Snakes basically on loop as a kid. Done quite a few no alert runs, think my record was about 2 hours...which considering I was just a dumb kid with no knowledge of speedrunning and didn't have the internet at the time...is pretty impressive. Another one I played a lot is RE2, so much in fact that I can still play it basically blindfolded.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Big fish, small pond for a lot of these:

X-Men vs Street Fighter - undefeated for years even when getting beaned by air hockey pucks

Vampire Savior - almost as dominant

Wave Race 64/Mario Kart 64 - friends couldnt hang.

Battletanx - when paired up with a friend of mine we were unstoppable.

Eyeshield 21 ps2 - spent so much time on this I cant imagine anybody knowing it as well as me.

nkarafo

I think i could beat most people in F-Zero X/GX.

I'm also above average at old 2D fighters. I beat all my friends and their friends at least. Never played online.

Shmups is my weakness though.

Rbk_3

I am the definition of average at pretty much everything I play. Examble, currently in Warzone after 17 days of play I have a KD of 1.00.

3304 kills, 2283 deaths

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I beat all my friends in college at NFL Blitz. Eventually nobody would even play me or make me pick a shitty team. Strangely, I seemed to get better at it even while drinking a lot of beer.

Spokker

The only game I've ever played at a higher level was MLB The Show. Around 17 I started getting good and by 18 I was reaching the highest tiers in competitive matches. However, more recently I've been declining as my reflexes get worse and my time to play growing smaller. I still win most of my matches but I'm more or less at the second or third tiers now.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm pretty sure it only came out in Asia and Europe but after some thought I would fuck you all up at Bishi Bashi Special.

PS1 adaptation of an mini-game focused arcade game with some extra stuff thrown in to make use of the dual analogs.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
The only game I think I ever truly perfected was Mortal Kombat 2. I played it obsessively for years and knew every special move, combo, every offensive, defensive and counter and with every character too. Could wipe the floor with the arcade & computer on any difficulty and beat almost anybody who took me on in two-player.

Strange this is I wasn't really into one on one beat em ups back then (never liked SF) and I'm certainly not into them now. In fact I can't stand them, 3D ones in particular.

Strange.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
When I was a kid I was the best around at Bases Loaded. They told me I couldn't use a certain pitcher and a certain team. I was the best in the neighborhood. I thought I was good at Halo3 multiplayer. But I don't know.

I am good within my own circle.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm good at Survival Horror type games, not a master in terms of preventing damage or speedrunning, but just being able to play them and not be frustrated. I'm also pretty good at Mario Kart 8, the SKATE series, JRPGs too. I feel like this is a list of games that are all relatively easy to get into.

I'm terrible at multiplayer FPS games, RTS, Souls games.

This question is hard to answer without sounding arrogant or full of it. But I promise that in some ways, I'm one of the most humble cats around, LOL. In any case:

General answer: I am pretty driven and motivated, and somewhat of a completionist/perfectionist, so whether it's some tough task in a single-player game, or getting better at a competitive game, I usually achieve it. So far there hasn't really been a VG related challenge that I haven't conquered. (Well, there is ONE, but I'm planning to try it out more in the near future.) Regardless, in any game or genre that I like, I'm competent and play well, but I'm still a hobbyist/amateur -- I don't compete professionally and don't engage in professional speedrunning/glitch-finding/etc.

Best competitive game (retained skills): Super Street Fighter II X/Turbo: Easy game to play but with an incredibly high skill ceiling. I've been playing this game on and off since the late 90s. I know pretty good techniques and know practically every character, with the exception of Blanka and Cammy who are not all that fun to play, and are garbage characters anyway.

Best competitive game - highest high reached: Guilty Gear XX/X2: At one point I was really, really good at this game. I could practically play at a competitive level and would probably have advanced fairly far if I ever bothered entering tournaments, which I never did. I did put a shit ton of hours into this game though, and luckily for me I had some buddies who were themselves amazingly good at the game. So we all pushed each other to get better. But I practically quit cold turkey on the game, and it has been many years since I played it, so I practically lost all of those skills.

Best single player game - it's a tie between (*avatar alert*) Resident Evil 2 (classic) and Super Mario Bros. 3: I can beat those games in practically any way. Speedrun. Self-imposed challenges.

Best genres: Platformers, Survival Horror. I tend to get pretty good at these games.

Worst genres: Shoot-'em-ups ("shmups") - Which sucks because I love the genre, but man, the one time I played Ikaruga, that game humbled me, and humbled me hard. So this is the year that I will get good at shmups!

Top Bottom