• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games were you best at?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Old school CODs like World at War, MW2/3 and Blacks OP 1/2s. Win % about 65% and KD anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8. And probably 95% of the matches I played were with randoms.

COD4 wasn't even 2 KD. Out of all CODs I played a lot, some reason I had the most trouble in COD4. I think my WIN % was 50 or 51%. Compared to other CODs, just seemed harder to get into a groove.

I used to be really good at that old ass TWA Mat Mania arcade game. Aside from Coco Savege, every other opponent was beatable over and over again. Got to a point, I'd just quit playing. The sequel game was some reason made easier. Less characters to play against, but it added drop kicks which made it easier than the first game.

Gamers would exploit the thing where you gran the cpu, throw him into the ropes and have him hit you back where you both fall to the ground. Then you pick him up and pile drive him.

You could also beat the cpu (if you had good timing) by doing the charging forearm over and over again (like Coco does). After you do it enough, you could pin him.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I was an absolute savage at Starsiege: Tribes

I maintain that if bender bender ever wants to Fuck Around, he will indeed Find Out.

Those were my younger days, of course. Currently I am shit at everything...and loving it!

Look in the mirror and say my name three times when you get tired of living, skin tube.

MetalRain

I've felt like I'm good at some games (Battlefield 3/4/One), until matchmaking put me against better players and they were clearly better. Sometimes I told myself that I may not have best perception and reactions, but I have better positioning and spatial awareness and that makes me better, but again and again I've been proven to be wrong in that area as well.

I guess my only fort is now friend leaderboards in Zachtronics games, but maybe I just fine tuned one problem way longer than my friends did and then got better results.

I think gaming is great lesson in humility for me and still fun one.

Last edited:
Bruce Lee on the speccy 48k. Completing the game just reset it and dumped you back at the beginning, I could beat it multiple times without taking a hit.

anothertech

My team won the battlefield 1942 tournament in Vegas decades ago. I played mechanic/tank pilot.

But my real talent was arcade beat em ups. Used to 'single quarter' games like double dragon and final fight often drawing a crowd. Those were the days.

YukiOnna

Surprisingly the Souls and Nioh games. I can make up for any stat or equipment deficiency (which I fall into a lot due to being lazy) thanks to learning of positioning and attack.

Aegsorciten

Neo Member
Outside of God Wars MUDS in my youth the game I was best at was Counterstrike beta 5.2(I'm to old now, damn kids owning me left and right at FPS nowadays :)) had a pretty good clan here in Sweden, played against alot of people on the old Geekboys servers, Potti, Kill4Fun, Spawn, Elajten, DenOnde etc etc, I would say it was the Golden Age of Gaming.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Mega man 3 and just old school platformers in general. I really cut my teeth as a young man with NES games, then migrated to SNES games. Peak gaming period for mine. Anyway, i mastered mega man 3 as my parents didn’t (couldn’t) buy me a tonne of games. So I got a game and played the shit out of it. I love mega man 3 though and perfected it. Probably should’ve tried to do speed runs on it but never played it to be the quickest.
Also Batteltoads on NES. Finished it many times as a kid. Loved it. Found all the warp zones. Finished it without the warp zones. Memorized all the levels. Loved it. Wish gaming still treasured these types of games.

anab0lic36

I was one of the top players in Europe at Counterstrike: Source in my prime. Must have put somewhere in the region of 10k hours into the game over an 8 year period of dedicated play. Went through about 20 different mice and mouse matts to perfect my aim xD. Would constantly get banned on public servers when I would play there, with accusations of aimbot and wallhacking, which I never once used. Seeing yourself slowly grow as a player, in a game that had such a high skill cap was what drove me. I went so hard on the game, that I have had zero desire to play anther FPS game since, despite there being quite a few good ones available these days, I think I have had my fill on that genre for life. Too bad there wasn't any real money in Esports back then or I could have made a good chunk of change competing.... still, no regrets, had a helluva good time and met lots of cool people along the way.

Paasei

CoD4 (promod). Managed to win quite some LANs and online tournaments with the team. I won't ever be as good in a game as I was in that one.
Close second one was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Always ended top 5 on the 5v5 Objective ladder on Clanbase to those who still remember that site.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
None, I'm decent but I can't do difficult fights without dying couple of times and I can't do speed runs. Currently my best time killing Mizutsune in MHRise demo with longSword is 8:55 and thats the best I can do.
Isn't that actually good? I can barely get it down in less that 15:00 with both CB and GL. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Isn't that actually good? I can barely get it down in less that 15:00 with both CB and GL. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
well 8:55 is rare, most cases my time is 11:00 - 12:00. I have gotten much better at using LS, I can counter most Mizutsune's attacks, even his water projectiles.

The crazy part is they are speed runners who can take down Mizutsune under 4:00......how? Even if everything goes right 8:00 is my best, I don't know how they do it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
well 8:55 is rare, most cases my time is 11:00 - 12:00. I have gotten much better at using LS, I can counter most Mizutsune's attacks, even his water projectiles.

The crazy part is they are speed runners who can take down Mizutsune under 4:00......how? Even if everything goes right 8:00 is my best, I don't know how they do it.
I try not to think too much about times tbh. For me MH is a comfy game, and trying to get to the kind of times you can see on speedruns can be maddening.

For what little I saw, most of them mounted the Rathian to inflict a great deal of damage before comboing the monster to death.

Glad to read to finally managed to master the LS btw, it looks like a fun (and cool) weapon but I never got the hang of it.

tylrdiablos

I used to be pretty damn good at Titanfall (1). My hyper-active play-style netted me a lot of points from Grunts and I had perfected my Titans load-out so it was a rare for it to last less than 5 minutes. And when it did die, the Nuclear Eject combo usually took down my opponent(s) with it.

A shame Titanfall 2 was such a big change and Titans were essentially made out of paper; lasting all of 30 seconds.

Fingers crossed for Titanfall 3.

Evren01

Neo Member
I've never been the best at any game but most of the time I was winning CoD 4 - MW2 - MW3 online matches. Also I was very good at playing God of War 1 - 2, combining all kind of combos both in air and on the ground. :messenger_beaming:

Traianvs

there were a few coin-op games I could 1cc at the Arcade, like Robocop, Wonder Boy in monster land, Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja, Psychic5, etc... I could probably still do it with a few practice

Gatox

Banned
The only online game I've ever been good at was Cat and Mouse in PGR. Mainly because it made use of my "skill" of driving like my eyes have switched of...

Melubas

For me it's fighting games. I've competed in SF4 (all iterations) and been the top 4-5 player in Sweden basically for the life of the game. I've just always found frame counting, setups, spacing and footsies a really fun thing to engage in and learn, and it payed off. Always sucked at FPS games however, at least competitive ones.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
when it came to pokemon red, yellow, silver i was the very best. as a kid i'd be out in the streets swinging my link cable looking for fools to kick their ass.

LC-Games.jpg

i was also the go to pokemon dealer since i was the only one with one of these bad boys:

s-l400.jpg

i could get you any pokemon at any level. most people wanted mew/mewtwo in red/yellow or celebi in gold/silver. also if you needed a masterball/rare candy i had them. or maybe you wanted some money/xp.

joedan

Street Fighter II Turbo Super NES (or any other variation of SFII).

Was pretty much invincible amongst my peers and in my entire country. People would take buses from far away bringing their personal SNES/Genesis along to my place of abode just to challenge me at SFII. They all lost.

Mortal Kombat II to a large extent as well. Although I would lose occasionally...depending on what character they and I chose to play as. For SFII it didn't really make much of a difference who chose whom; I would always win.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Unreal tournament 2k4 Bombing Run mode. (Kind of like a weird FPS basketball game.)

I played in some online leagues back when the game came out and won just about every game. Knew all the trick shot locations so I could huck the “ball” in from just about anywhere where it was possible. People just ended up camping the hoop when I had the ball so it got even easier to get higher point slam dunks. Haven’t played it in over 15 years though.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I can do it all. Moba, RTS, FPS, Platforms, Hardcore RPGs.

I would say overall I'm the best at RTS, FPS, Moba since I never really played the other ones competitively.
  1. I was Top 250 in Starcraft II in glory days.
  2. Cal i for CS 1.6 when I was 16 for team AEC
  3. Diamond II Mid for LoL (Several seasons ago before Masters/GM, GM equivalent)

Sonic 3 and Knuckles, got all the possible emerald combinations on all the saves, can get Perfects on all 7 regular emeralds, still working on Perfecting the Super emeralds...

Megaman X4, I can basically beat this with my eyes closed! I can do certain tricks on Mavericks to make them look stupid while fighting them XD

Last edited:
I used to be good at Gears of War 1-3.
I used to ran with the top console players in hardest challenges in Vermintide 1-2 (on both Xbox and PS) but left the game due to the bugs and fundamental game mechanic changes.
I am very good at Destiny 1-2 pve and can be decent at pvp.

As a kid I won a Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES) district tournament, and since then really liked MK games. I usually beat all my friends and relatives and the AI on Very Hard. Back when MK9 was the hot shit I went to a gamer pub where I played with some dudes and they owned me so hard I realized I wasn't that good at the game, I just always played agains really bad players, hehe.

Mohonky

Probably Ninja Gaiden. I usually completed these on the hardest difficulty level I'm not some sort of god at action games but I think I generally do better at them than most.

The other is arcade / simcade racers. I finished PGR1, 2, 3 and 4 with all Platinum medals.

mcz117chief

Top 100 on occasion in World in Conflict. I adored that game for like 2 years.

when it came to pokemon red, yellow, silver i was the very best. as a kid i'd be out in the streets swinging my link cable looking for fools to kick their ass.

LC-Games.jpg

i was also the go to pokemon dealer since i was the only one with one of these bad boys:

s-l400.jpg

i could get you any pokemon at any level. most people wanted mew/mewtwo in red/yellow or celebi in gold/silver. also if you needed a masterball/rare candy i had them. or maybe you wanted some money/xp.

Absolute king style, my man. I had a friend like that who also moded my games to give me the event items so I could get Arceus and then transferred him to HeartGold for the SUPER event. It was absolutely legendary. You two were like pillars of the pokémon community :D

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Glad to read to finally managed to master the LS btw, it looks like a fun (and cool) weapon but I never got the hang of it.
I love parries and counters, this is why I love Sekiro's combat system more than most people and LS is all about counter which made an attractive weapon for someone like me.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Now that I think of it, a lot of years ago I managed to beat the first Metal Slug without any continues, after getting seriously hooked with that game.

I think that for me the first is the best one. The later ones, specially X and 3, are really great too, but they were too much to handle imo.

I love parries and counters, this is why I love Sekiro's combat system more than most people and in MH, LS is all about counter which made an attractive weapon for someone like me.
Well man, if you start comparing it to Sekiro then you aren't giving me any more options than trying to get the hang of the LS in the final game.

Can't wait. Aren't we getting a second demo or something?

stn

Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo (and HDR) - I've beaten some famous tournament players and have two characters I am really good with. I was also good at Ninja Gaiden Black, and the Halo games.

TintoConCasera

I did not know that, I thought this is the only demo we get before the game releases.
Hey I was just asking! Don't take my word on that. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I think I read something related to that, mybe it was in the Capcom leaks but sorry, I'm not sure.

Mario & Halo.

Mario on NES & SNES when I was a kid. I had twitch reflexes & used to speed run the levels over & over again.

Halo 3 single player I loved so much that I played through it on Legendary solo.

I'd say those are the only examples in my gaming history of actual skill & ability. Mostly I don't care about competing or being great, I just play for fun.

It can be Single Player or Multiplayer.

I want you to name a game that you personally feel you are really good at it. It can be any genre. I've always felt that I'm really good at FPS games, I just had a knack for them I suppose. Even as a 'newbie' I picked it up much faster than my friends I played online with. Without tooting my own horn, I typically always carried my real life friends back when I was in School. That is partly because I absolutely no lifed the games, learned the maps, the guns and got really damn good at it. My reaction time has slowed a bit these days, but I can still load in to Call of Duty and more often than not end up at the top of the lobby.

I would say I was the best at Call of Duty 4.

e78d4b51e4e5cb9aeeaed4647d528c929c30ed60.jpg

I know this because I used to get messages calling me a cheater/hacker quite a lot. I would also occasionally get friend requests or asked if I wanted to party up, which was always fun. Met some great people. It was rare for me to not do well in a match. I played Halo 3 before I played COD, and I just seemed to pick it up so quickly. I was never that great at Halo honestly, but fast-paced style suited me more.
Definitely Destiny, over 1000 hours between 1 and 2, and I'm quite a beast for a semi - casual player ( Not involved in vault of glass, clan daily coordinated play and advanced post game things), end up often doing crazy results either in pvp or pve without particular effort

Also, Re4 back in the day as a kid, I was a monster in mercenaries and high difficulties single player lol

For a con, I think I lost a lot of my touch with platformers, I played countless hours with every one of them as a little kid, spyro, Mario, rayman, almost every 2d and 3d most famous game, but today I feel like i'm way outta shape in them, probably need some retraining lol
Same for fighting games, were my favourite games apart from platformers and FPS, but I only kept abilities for FPS games

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
zkDpjNW.jpg

Used to speedrun this shit.
That is actually my weakest Resident Evil as a player, even though I absolutely love it. I always got my shit wrecked. The enemy types weren't as predictable as straight-up zombies. I find the earlier games much easier to learn and speedrun.

Top Bottom