• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you think will become "Cross-Gen" next year?

KàIRóS

With the announcement of the Playstation 5 coming holiday 2020 what games do you think will come out on current gen consoles and also the next ones next year?

here's the tweet for those that haven't seen it btw:

There are already a few confirmed games going cross-gen, Dying Light 2 and many sports games for example.

Other likely ones are The Last of Us Part II, Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077 and probably Final Fantasy VII Remake since it's an episodic release the first game will likely eventually release on next gen too.

Any other games you guys think will be cross-gen?

Stuart360

There will be games from this year that will get next gen versions, and probably 50%, if not more, of AAA games released next year will get next gen versions. I expect to see a lot of 'GOTY;' editions of games from this and next year turning up on next gen, with a quick Rez bump and maybe framerate.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Based on previous patterns, probably the entire upcoming first party PS4 lineup. They'll fit right in too, looking like they do.

Although, I wonder if with backwards compatibility, many developers will just update the games with PS5/Xbox 4 patches, like what we've seen on the Pro and X. Slap some new box-art on it to show compatibility with the new systems, and maybe that's a really good approach that pleases everyone from the original buyers to the bean counters.

Verdanth

Death stranding and Last of us 2 the thread

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Banned
I bet there won't be any real cross gen games, at least on Xbox.

I think most games on Xbox will get either a patch or are already equipped with enhanced settings for Scarlett.

like, Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely just run at 60fps if you play it on Scarlett, and maybe run with better settings, with a patch alone.

DonF

Death stranding, The Last of us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, for sure.

Third party, all big f2p games. Fortnite, Warframe, world of X, Apex, Dauntless.

Larxia

I bet there won't be any real cross gen games, at least on Xbox.

I think most games on Xbox will get either a patch or are already equipped with enhanced settings for Scarlett.

like, Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely just run at 60fps if you play it on Scarlett, and maybe run with better settings, with a patch alone.
This, there's no need for two different versions between gens anymore, it's just same environment with upgraded specs like on PC, you could just use the exact same game on both consoles but with better settings on the ps5 / next xbox, like it's already the case with xbox one x and ps4 pro.

Fbh

I'm being too optimistic here but I'm sort of hoping there isn't any cross gen. I hope some Ps4 games are just automatically enhanced when played on a Ps5, same way as a single copy of Cyberpunk will look different on a PC with a 1060 and one with a 1080ti. Of course I expect them all to be re released on a Ps5 box, with all updates and DLC and all of that

Otherwise I'm curious how it will work. Will there be an option to digitally "upgrade" my current gen game to the next gen version? Will the differences really justify releasing it as a separate product? Won't some people get upset when we have the precedent of something like the Xbox One X which enhances 360 games without charging for it?

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Personally I wont be playing any new Sony games until PS5 comes out. Yes, that means I wont be playing Last of us 2 until it gets a next gen upgrade. I have too many titles I want to play on PC until then and PUBG PS4 with the wife to hold me over.

KàIRóS

Personally I wont be playing any new Sony games until PS5 comes out. Yes, that means I wont be playing Last of us 2 until it gets a next gen upgrade. I have too many titles I want to play on PC until then and PUBG PS4 with the wife to hold me over.

Plot twist: TLoU II is only coming out on PS4 but it will also play on PS5 backwards compatibility.

Would you still wait for the PS5 release?

Ibara

I know it's a little old now but Overwatch. Unless of course some sort of sequel is announced soon but I doubt that very much.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Death stranding and Last of us 2 the thread

Ghost of Tsushima, and everything EA/Activision/Ubi spits out.

Halo Infinite, Forza and Gears as well. Now you can close thread.

Everything being BC this go round, I expect upgrade patches for them not unlike the Pro/X now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom