• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you feel people overrate too much?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Actually, apologies. Third post in a row.

Bloodborne.

Stop it. STOP IT. The game runs like ass. There is no way that anyone can prefer it’s janky 27fps frame paced stuttering to any From game running at 60fps.

It’s worse than Elden Ring, Sekiro, DS 1 and 3. It gets smoke blown up its ass because it’s an exclusive.
Framerate and overall blurryness suck ass, but the game's pretty cool man. For me it's world design is close second to Dark Souls 1.

But yeah, sad about no being able to play this how it should be played.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agreed. What's with all of the freaking out in this thread?
Just calm down, people.
Who's freaking out?

I see everyone having good witty fun.
why so serious GIF

Tg89

Wind Waker - was the worst 3d Zelda until Skyward Sword came around.
Super Mario Odyssey - Too easy, hit and miss worlds
Uncharted 2/TLOU2 - Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Fallout 4 - Same as all the other post Skyrim Bethesda garbage
Ghost of Tsushima - Pretty game with a gameplay loop that only slightly improves on ubisofts terrible open worlds
DKC:TF - Solid game but so far below DKC1/2 in terms of tone/atmosphere

For a game to be overrated there has to be an objective "correct" amount of rating for a game to get, since that doesn't and can't exist, there's really no such thing as an "overrated" or "underrated" game, there's only "I like this game more or less than the media/average gamer/metacritic/etc.)

Based on that definition, I disagree with the hype around Elden Ring, but I wouldn't call it overrated, because my opinion is no more important or correct than anybody else's

Poplin

Currently:
  • Elden Ring. Its good, but its not the best game ever made, far from it. Seems the need to be part of the zeitgeist creates a ton of blind spot tolerance few other games get
    • Also, its not the game for everyone that its most die hard advocates seem to say it is. its still esoteric AF and very much a souls game, its just "open world" now
Historically:
  • BOTW: Similar story to Elden Ring, good but not transformative
  • A Hat in Time: People seem to make this out to be the greatest revival of the 3D platform era ever. Its fine, its a serviceable platformer but still full of indie jank, and definitely closer to a yooka leylee than say Mario Galaxy
  • Final Fantasy 7: Too many people had this as their first JRPG so it felt novel, whereas even within its own franchise, outside of the music it didnt really do much new or better than past or future installments. People just love tifa, aeris, and sephiroth and so they check out of any viable criticism of the game

Ogbert

Framerate and overall blurryness suck ass, but the game's pretty cool man. For me it's world design is close second to Dark Souls 1.

But yeah, sab about no being able to play this how it should.
Don’t get me wrong. When the remaster comes out, I’ll be happy to see that at the top of every list. The Victorian gothic aesthetic is wonderful.

But one of the few objective criteria you can apply to games is how they technically perform. Bloodborne can be a chore to play.

tmlDan

Naughty Dog games.

I mean, clearly they have fantastic production values and animation, etc but I cannot be bothered to touch TLOU2 or any Uncharted game after the 3rd one, I couldn't even finish that one. Nor could I finish TLOU. Got a few hours in and was like, "Nope, I have no interest to keep at this game..."

I am beyond done with the melodrama and the forced walking, the overly cinematic camera angles, etc, etc. I get that people like it, but I cannot be bothered with anything that studio puts out. The E3 presentation with the lights going out and the dude playing the guitar....

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Honestly, this applies to the majority of Sony first-party releases. Nothing about them appeal to me in the slightest. Not saying they're bad games but they're the polar opposite of what I want to play. Can't even be bothered to download the PS4 Classics Collection on PS5.

Again, not saying these games are bad, just sharing my personal opinion on them. I view them as overrated because I'm insanely forgiving with titles so if something just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, well of course it's 100% the games fault and has nothing to do with me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I can understand the first part but the rest i do not, Sony's first party, like Xbox, is very diverse. An E3 showing should not dictate what games you like, that's stupid lol

Returnal, LBP, GT7 are not remotely the same as Uncharted/LoU or Horizon etc.

So, i don't get that statement at the bottom.

OT: A lot of Nintendo games 100% they're shallow, copy paste design formulas, distract you with cute characters and poor design choices, simple and formulaic combat. MH Rise was the last Nintendo platform game i enjoyed and thats not even nintendo.

clem84

Gold Member
I always felt the Bethesda games were a bit overrated, just because they're usually very buggy and they feel unpolished. There's a lot to them when you take the time to really dig in, but there's an initial period of adjustment every time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I can understand the first part but the rest i do not, Sony's first party, like Xbox, is very diverse. An E3 showing should not dictate what games you like, that's stupid lol

Returnal, LBP, GT7 are not remotely the same as Uncharted/LoU or Horizon etc.

So, i don't get that statement at the bottom.

OT: A lot of Nintendo games 100% they're shallow, copy paste design formulas, distract you with cute characters and poor design choices, simple and formulaic combat. MH Rise was the last Nintendo platform game i enjoyed and thats not even nintendo.
It's all mostly made in jest, reread my last sentence. I'm implying that I'm at fault but blaming the games, lol.

Never cared much for LBP, though I really appreciate what it does for community driven games. Love GT, I'd probably like Returnal too.

It's all for fun, just being a nerd and adding to the conversation. I'm just here for laughs and to nerd out.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

tmlDan

It's all mostly made in jest, reread my last sentence. I'm implying that I'm at fault but blaming the games, lol.

Never cared much for LBP, though I really appreciate what it does for community driven games. Love GT, I'd probably like Returnal too.

It's all for fun, just being a nerd and adding to the conversation. I'm just here for laughs and to nerd out.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF
I was honestly just curious lol

Everyone has their own POV, like i inherently go into every Nintendo game expecting the same design choices because they have common themes.

Small things can grind some peoples gears

MikonJuice

Suikoden 3: there's no fast travel until 2/3 of the game. 60 hours and about 20 is you running across a green field. Ridiculous. The story is just meh. No way in hell is in the same league as Suikoden I and II

Breath of the Wild: didn't understand the hype. It's REALLY good, really fun battle system, 120 delicious mini dungeous, but... no story at all. A top 10 game without story? Also... the weapon breaking system sucks. SUCKS.

Red Dead Redemption 2: fast travel is really poor, if you considered that fast travel. Also, more often then not you go on a mission and you just don't use your own customized guns. Game is really good, but the flaws were not as discussed as it shou've being.

Last of us 2: Last of Us 1's story is a copy of some parts of the Walking Dead, the comic; TLoU2 copies the shocking part of Walking Dead the tv series. And uses the same "we should shock the players" over and over and over. Nobody said that. Technically speaking, it was awesome... but that repetition of the same shocking events is just ridiculous. I'm not even saying that one fact that pissed almost every fun, but the story is just... repetition after repetition.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
Smash Bros. I just don't get it...I want to, desperately, because I really enjoy the fan service in it. It's a shit fighting game that's pure misery to play, tho.

Lognor

Banned
Agreed. What's with all of the freaking out in this thread?
Just calm down, people.
People don't like it when you say bad things about a game they like. It's weird.

I think botw is the best game ever, but we constantly get threads about how Botw is overrated (and we're seeing a ton of that in this thread). But I don't get butt hurt like SOME people.

I'll say it again and see who gets triggered: I feel God of War (2018) is overrated.

Rockstar games, breath of the wild, souls games, indie hipster wank, Sony cinematic wank like Naughty dog games. Most recently, Horizon.

When are you people going to get sick of open world bloatware? And want your movies in movie form and not game form lol.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I've been playing Elden Ring, and I find that it's a little overrated.

It's a great game, but it's not perfect or all that. I liked other Souls games more.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Folks really need to stop referring to their opinions as "objective" in any case.
Unless they are experts speaking about the field they are experts in. Nobody is an expert in what makes a game good because people tend to ignore flaws when they like something and those flaws tend to be what makes other people fucking hate the game.

Topher

Gold Member
Unless they are experts speaking about the field they are experts in. Nobody is an expert in what makes a game good because people tend to ignore flaws when they like something and those flaws tend to be what makes other people fucking hate the game.

But being an expert only means someone has a more informed opinion on a subject. Two experts can have conflicting opinions. Neither are objective.

To your point though, yeah gamers tend ignore flaws in games they like. I'm guilty of that myself. Of course, I've never claimed to be objective when it comes to my opinion or preferences.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Plus I was constantly swapping characters just to have them take a turn and get AP. It was so tedious and boring.

I respect your opinion and acknowledge the rest of your post as legitimate criticism. But this part was on you. You didn't have to do this lol. The game can be beaten just fine with no grinding and no AP switching. Even a good chunk of sidequests, like the optional aeons, don't require any grinding. On replays I will straight up ignore entire characters like Kimahri and Rikku with little to no consequence.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I respect your opinion and acknowledge the rest of your post as legitimate criticism. But this part was on you. You didn't have to do this lol. The game can be beaten just fine with no grinding and no AP switching. Even a good chunk of sidequests, like the optional aeons, don't require any grinding. On replays I will straight up ignore entire characters like Kimahri and Rikku with little to no consequence.
anybody who takes at least one turn gets the full AP for that battle. Maybe it’s not strictly necessary to beat the game but the game rewards you for playing that way.

Kacho

Gold Member
Witcher 3 - bloated and filled to the brim with dull, uninteresting dialogue. Weak combat.
BotW - couldn't even finish it because of the obnoxious durability mechanic.
Hollow Knight - perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if it wasn't hyped to the moon by tons of people. I went in with absurdly high expectations and was not impressed. There are a few indie metroidvania's that I would rank higher than that.
All recent Sony exclusives - high production values and little else. Not a fan of their cinematic style games. I find the gameplay systems subpar and uninteresting for the most part.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
It's all in hindsight, really. I want to say Bloodborne, but I love Bloodborne - I just don't think it's as good nor was anywhere as impactful as Dark Souls 1 was.

BotW is another one that I was absolutely besotted with while playing, but ultimately the game has a some serious flaws that people just gloss over.

So I think I'm going to go with Dragon Quest XI, which while charming, was just recycled content with bad music and unforgivably dumb writing.

CC-Tron

Neo Member
Streets Of Rage 4. It's a good game but lacks the things that would make it great. The devs just phoned in the boss designs. Super Armor and call it a day. A step back from SOR 3 in terms of character mobility.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The Monster Hunter series, the Halo series besides Halo 3. I haven't played Halo Infinite yet

Last edited:
Top Bottom