• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GAMEPLAY improvements do you want to see in TLoU2?

cormack12

Gold Member
So, whether it launches now or next year I don't think there's really been a mechanical or low level discussion on what could be improved, built upon or left out. We can assume the core mechanics will stay the same.

Distraction for AI was by brick or bottle, would you want to see more emergent ways of distraction? Like, for example the AI in Uncharted 4 glancing sight of you?

LargeSpicyConure-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Melee combat was quite brutal, with the option to use crowbars or wood with nails through as well as shivving enemies or choking them out via stealth.

giphy.gif

UncommonHealthyAustralianfurseal-size_restricted.gif

The crafting system was quite basic overall but fitted the game. Crafting healing items or bombs/molotovs was quite simple if enough resources were held. Guns had upgrade paths. Would you like to see this stay/overhauled?

kLonMch.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Did you like or loathe the one hit kill death from clickers? Did you feel that the mini bosses like the Bloater and David need expanding?

giphy.gif

tumblr_msa7rdP1Zw1s4h5ggo1_400.gif

_kaDQf.gif

Alluding to the earlier point, were you happy with the stealth system? We shouldn't have Ellie in this game so we shouldn't lose that immersion

giphy.gif

VLLjhxAsN4BTG.gif

TQp.gif

Was Listen Mode too generous? Were you happy with the options - was the default fine?

listening_mode_clicker.1370388254.jpg

Did you think the bow and arrow was well done? Would you like to see more ranged weapons, or weapon variety in general? The bow had that little arc in it, and I think head shots were a little easy to get. Should it borrow any pointers from Assassin's Creed or Tomb Raider - both which had satisfying bow combat.

the-last-of-us-remastered-screen-02-ps4-us-28jul14

I didn't really use the hostage mechanic too much and I'd like to see that expanded if possible

WellwornEverlastingCockroach-max-1mb.gif

After the success of God of War, do you feel the companion aspect of the game can be much better? We won't have a child in this game (probably), but if you do traverse the game with occasional friends do we want the passive play of say Sully/Elena or do we want more active assistance to call on like Atreus. Will the game work as well if you play solo for most of it?

XW7NTjC.gif

Infect me if old or crap.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Enemy Variety. TLOU1 only had

- human thugs
- zombies
- clickers
- big bois

Lets get some more weird creature types. And go the alien isolation route where human enemies have to interact with the creatures!

Fbh

As most ND games my biggest issues with TLOU in terms of gameplay were outside of combat.

I thought combat was fun, encounters were tense and I enjoyed the simplified but enjoyable stealth and crafting. The one big thing I'd change is not having other friendly characters around if they will still make them run all over the place while being magically invisible to enemies. Just have some excuse for them not participate: "I'll protect this thing while you clear the room" or "you go through here and I'll take another route" or something.

Outside of combat though, ND games tend to get into autopilot. Where you are basically just going through the motions without being presented with any sort of challenge. While I fully expect (and want) the game to be linear, I hope there's plenty of side or optional areas you can reach through exploration, hopefully with optional encounters too. And not in the obvious "Oh there's an entire house that's obviously in my way and which I can explore if I want" sort of way but rather places that actually need you to observe and interact with the world to reach
I also hope that when faced with an obstacle there's some sort of legit puzzle or challenge to move past instead of the usual impossible to fail "pushing a crate around" or "move someone on a wooden raft" puzzles (if you can even call them that)

Saber

Gold Member
Less stealth parts. The game is basically a stealth simulator.

And those "one-hit" kill zombies were way too much punishing for it's own good. Just the fact that only one item(which feels more like a shiny pokemon) can save you from the death its very weird. The rest feels normal to me, even when the game gives you almost nothing in harder difficulties.

Paasei

I hope we see more stealth vs stealth encounters like when you had kill David. That fight and the dark hotel stuff were by far the most scary aprts of the game, and I loved them for it.
Personally I am fine with the stealth, could be more in depth possibly. It's simple but I thought it worked great.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For a better experience, close the tips of the Naughty Dog games, before you start the game.

Yea I did my first playthrough with the xray vision off and it was much better.

I'm only ok with xray vision in stealth games if its limited to an easy difficulty for kids or if it comes at an in-game cost like an ability.

Way more creatures and abominations, I think I saw a TLoU2 concept with a sort of dog/wolf that had mutated with the spores.

Less stealth parts. The game is basically a stealth simulator.

And those "one-hit" kill zombies were way too much punishing for it's own good. Just the fact that only one item(which feels more like a shiny pokemon) can save you from the death its very weird. The rest feels normal to me, even when the game gives you almost nothing in harder difficulties.

That's the whole fucking point of TLoU, go play some CoD Zombie or something you couch potato.

AI not being blind to NPC companions. The companion NPCs would be running in circles around the enemies and they will completely ignore them as long as I am properly in stealth and unseen.

Saber

Gold Member
That's the whole fucking point of TLoU, go play some CoD Zombie or something you couch potato.

No need to be rude lol

The thing is that most of sections feels like a drag because in every point you have keep crounching and very slow walking. This is almost 100% of the game.

This comes from someone who doesnt mind stealth parts. Usually did that a lot in Deus Ex(theres even a trophy for that).

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Some really bad gameplay in the first, where to start? Definitely none of the stupid raft puzzle sections. Make the stealth more organic and not just cordoned off sections that feel like mini-games. Combat in general needs to feel more fluid and not janky and cumbersome like the first.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

There seems to be a new dodging mechanic in there (you see Ellie dodge a hit at some point in the gameplay that was shown, and it sort of looks like it’s in-game mechanics), so I’m curious and can’t help to wonder how that would change gameplay if it’s true

Also, that rumour about Ellie being nicknamed Wolf, and the other rumour saying she has some sort of companion at some point in the game. That would affect gameplay, no doubt

Could be old debunked rumours, though. I haven’t kept up with the latest TLOU rumour mill

spawn

Diverse enemy types. I want some nasty looking infected enemy types. Grounded mode is the best mode to play TLOU

DansDans

Accurate looting

If an enemy is shooting at me with a AK47 and seemingly lots of ammo - i want to be able to take their AK47 and ammo. I dont want to loot the body for half a pair of scissors. That breaks the immersion right away.

Also, if ammo is going to be scarce, make it scarce for everyone. Don't give me an enemy that can keep their distance and fire off an unlimited supply of bullets to me. Give that enemy 12 bullets, and once they've used them, tough shit to them

Seriously, if they are going for realism - this is the type of realism I am after

GAMETA

Banned
From a gameplay perspective I want more feminism, lesbianism and women empowerment. From level design I want less misoginy, opression and toxic masculinity.

Last edited:

PSYGN

When I was playing on the grounded difficulty on my first play through, I kept experiencing the zombies (were they called clickers?) would cheaply slide to my character and initiate the 3rd person killing animation when I wasn't even an arms length away from them. It kept happening on the one mini boss in the basketball court and the zombies it spawned. Maybe a more accurate hitbox or realistic range for that kind of attack to initiate.

Last edited:
I hope that everything you listed gets improved upon plus the puzzles.

Specifically, I hope that enemy AI and alert states are improved on, playing into fear or antsyness for lack of a better term such that it works with the stealth system where if they are highly alert and frightened they may respond to a brick or bottle differently then just always walking straight towards it. If that makes any sense.

Also, it shouldn't just be bricks and bottles but literally anything should be liftable, throwable or useable as a makeshift weapon. Making the AI smarter in how they respond to random sounds may help balance this.

I also hope the levels are more labyrinth like to make better use of traps. Uncharted 4 rope plus crafting plus heavy objects equals Predator style traps for the win.

However, I don't expect much more than a slight iteration on the old game. The dodge mechanic will be their big defining change as the rope was to Uncharted...

No need to be rude lol

The thing is that most of sections feels like a drag because in every point you have keep crounching and very slow walking. This is almost 100% of the game.

This comes from someone who doesnt mind stealth parts. Usually did that a lot in Deus Ex(theres even a trophy for that).

Okay, could have been more precise, the problem is not stealth is that it's always the same stealth mechanics. Agreed, they could implement some Outlast form of stealth.

MagnesG

Banned
Doesn't matter that much actually. People are still gonna buy it just for the story, or maybe for the 'woke' parameter.

Even then, I do enjoy multiplayer quite a bit. Not sure though a more complex mechanism is good or not in a heavy story-based game. I'm afraid some of it will be considered a mere bloat and padding for some.

id like for the exploring and combat sections' design to blend better.

every time there was going to be a fight you knew ahead of time walking up to the area based off its layout

more enemy and item variety. I dont want to just pick up bricks and bottles.

a trap system would be nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom