• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game genres do you actively play and enjoy?

What game genres are you into?

• First Person Shooters (eg COD, Doom)

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • Third Person Shooters (eg Gears)

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Third Person Adventure (Uncharted, Tomb Raider)

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Survival Horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill)

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Racing Sims (GT, Forza MS)

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Arcade Racing (Forza Horizon, Need For Speed)

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Other Vehicle Sims (Flight Sim)

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • JRPGs (Final Fantasy)

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • WRPGs (Fallout, Starfield, Witcher)

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Isometric RPGs (Baldurs Gate 3, Diablo)

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Platformers (Crash, Banjo)

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Sports (FIFA, Madden)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Fighting (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Simulation (The Sims)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Action (Sifu, Souls)

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Real Time Strategy (Halo Wars)

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • MMO (ESO, Fallout 76)

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Party (Rockstar, Sing Star)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Kids (Minecraft, Rocket League)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Multiplayer (Fortnite, Warzone)

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
This was something I was thinking about after the discussions around HiFi Rush having 3 million players.
Some people were saying this was very good for the game, others saying it was low.
My thought was that a rhythm brawler isn't my cup of tea, so even if it was free on Gamepass, I wasn't going to download it.
I was thinking that if 3 million was low, it was soley due to it being a less than popular genre rather than the game having a poor reception.

So in that vein, I was wondering what genres are actually popular with gamers, and which ones are more niche.

What genres are you really into, and what ones aren't you going to bother to try, regardless of if it's a highly rated game?

nikos

I have my go-to multiplayer games and mix in whichever new releases interest me, most of which I don't come close to finishing.

Surprised that sports games don't rate higher. Back in the day, EA sports was everything. When Sega lost access to those sports games, it went alot of the way to killing off the Dreamcast.
You also hear about how massive FIFA is in Europe as well. Maybe not?

Lunarorbit

Generally skip sports, multiplayer, fighting, racing games.

Racing is the one I could get into. I haven't played a Wipeout game in years and omega looks dope. I want Sony to give me more reasons before I buy a vr unit cause GT7 looks amazing.

Fighting games (mostly older releases) and semi-simulation arcade racing games (as in you need to slow down to take the turn) are what I play most. However, I will sometimes play nothing but a single action title or platformer if I am in the mood.

Joramun

RTS. Uses Halo Wars as an example. GTFO.
gSVYsL5.gif

PsyEd

I like Yakuza/Judgment series from SEGA/RGG...which is a 3rd person beat'em up/action with RPG elements.
And thanks to mods the replayability is ENDLESS....plus I make my own made up story paths/scenarios just for fun.

2D games (beat ‘em ups, shoot ‘em ups, Metroidvanias, etc.)

Puzzle Games (Superliminal, The Witness, Manifold Garden)

Walking Sims (The Stanley Parable, The Suicide of Rachel Foster)

Interesting that Platformers is as high as it is, considering that every time one is released it bombs in the sales department.

Top Bottom