• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Y0ssarian

Banned
Just started Deadly Premonition Director's Cut for spoopy month. I'm 55% of the way through Jak II. I did seal piece in the slums last night. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, you just keep punching

Alundra Update

I just finished The Coastal Cave

The boss wasn't too hard. I just spammed Magic 6 time and once I ran out of magic I used my sword to hit him a couple times till he went down

I had a Magic Elixer, Wonder Essence, and a Strength Tonic

I just followed the Boss Patterns

Saved back in town an fully healed with HP/MP

I have 18 Gilded Falcons
My HP is at 21

Now I have the Water Scroll and the Earth Scroll

The Coastal Cave was hard but compared to the Ancient Shrine, it wasn't as tough.

Hours Played: 25:28

Last edited:

engstra

Maybe like 7 hours into Deathloop. It's got me grabbed way more than Dishonored, probably because of the timeloop. Always like that as a concept and mechanic in games/movies etc so will probably see this to the end.
I still struggle with Arkane's level design though. I can see the appeal but I feel like fully exploring the level has no benefit so you end up going in killing a few enemies and then it's just a vast empty space with little to do.

i'm finally downloading some of the free games i got on epic lol.

downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo which is really fun. also Civilization vi but not started it yet. might also download Control.

so i loaded up civilization vi and spent about 10 minutes basically staring at the screen trying to figure out wtf i was meant to be doing lol. a little box came up asking me if i was new to civilization or civilization vi. i clicked civilization but nothing happened....great tutorial i suppose?

i ain't got time for that shit.

Last edited:
As a Kojima fan I waited too long to play this one:

Just had to install the base version since the Director's Cut on PC was a chuggy mess. But of the 5 hours I've played so far I find it very original, the music selection is perfect, some of the BT encounters can get annoying. The composition of the cutscenes and cinematics are well executed. It's so refreshing coming from Red Dead Redemption 2's style of cutscenes (which were generic AF). I like the theme of "humans shouldn't be isolated" we are supposed to connect with each other, very fitting in this pandemic world.

giphy.gif

Anyone know where I can a legit purchase this mask? LOL probably my favorite character so far in Death Stranding!
zvwam7fufgg71.jpg

Vyse

Gold Member
80 hours already put into Yakuza 5.

It's shaping up to be one of my favs. Gameplay could be a bit (much) harder, but I'm enjoying all the side content, which there is a ton, and the story, which is quite enjoyable with all the different cities and characters.
Nice. I am finishing up Lost Judgement. Working through all of the school side stories. Before LJ, I finished Judgement and Yakuza 6. Was thinking of taking a break, but have not played 5 yet. Should have really played them in order. I really enjoy going back to the cites game after game to see how everything changes with the year of the game. These games are my favorite over the past few years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I sat Industria to the side for now, and started Gears V again. I initially found it mind numbingly dull when playing on Game Pass.
After getting it in a previous Humble Bundle I’m giving it another shot. I do have to say I like the enemy variety. I think I was a bit harsh in that respect, but it’s still a game that I can’t play for long periods of time without getting bored.

Hoping to play through the campaign, so I can uninstall since that sucker's like 100GB.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice. I am finishing up Lost Judgement. Working through all of the school side stories. Before LJ, I finished Judgement and Yakuza 6. Was thinking of taking a break, but have not played 5 yet. Should have really played them in order. I really enjoy going back to the cites game after game to see how everything changes with the year of the game. These games are my favorite over the past few years.
Yeah they also become one of my favorite videogame sagas, probably even top 3.

I really recommend 5 for sure. It has more focus on side activities, but wven then I think it did the "multiple storylines" thing better than 4. By the end I felt very satisfied with every storyline and how they closed, specially the one for Shinada which was my favorite.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beaten Ion Fury. A hell of a shooter, even better than classics such as Blood or Duke Nukem 3D. Started with some doubts but ended up having an absolute blast, and I can see myself replaying this on the hardest difficulty.

Go play it of you are into FPS games, you won't regret it.

I finally finished Freedom Planet 2

Review:
(no spoilers, I just didn't want to drop a text wall on the page)
First of all, it's impossible not to be impressed by the amount of real content in this game. The game could feasibly take someone 10 hours to finish on a first playthrough and I expect most will be over 8 hours at least. For an indie 2D platformer with a breakneck pace that's a lot of level. The level design is more ambitious than the first game with long, complex, multi-route levels. There are many gimmicks and almost all levels have a good sense of individual identity both visually and in terms of gameplay.

This scope is impressive but it's clear that the developers had ambitions beyond reason, leading to both a lengthy development period and a really hit-and-miss quality to the levels and boss fights. Some levels, like the Ancestral Forge and Nalao Lake, are really bad, but there are also some great stages— Lightning Tower is my favourite, mixing in some very light puzzle elements with hazards that are activated as you turn on power, and generally a more calculated level design with a good sense of progress as you climb.

Sadly, most of the levels are at least a little chaotic, as there are enemies and stage hazards that seem unavoidable given the speed of the game. In one stage, there is a crushing block hazard that drops so fast that you actually can't avoid it if you're stood still, which you may be if you boosted forward and bopped off the wall where it comes down. Enemies are almost entirely not worth dealing with, as many of them have untelegraphed attacks and a tonne of HP, but you will still take plenty of damage from enemies that attack as you run past. The added guard mechanic seems useless but thankfully wasn't required for Lilac, whose dash has about a billion i-frames and does good damage.

In general, the difference between FP1 and 2 is that the former feels more restrained, with level design that guides you forward, whereas FP2 regularly makes it difficult to tell which way you're meant to be going. And unlike FP1, the core gameplay isn't quite as engaging, since besides some good platforming and gimmicks you're mostly just ignoring the enemies and taking random hits. It lacks that sense of connection. Doesn't help that when you do attack an enemy, there is no feeling of impact (unlike the player character who gets stunned by hits). The effect of this is that the game is quite exhausting to play at times and it took me a while to finish.

And those bad boss fights... man. The fights against really large bosses are usually fine, mid-sized bosses are mixed and the player-character-sized bosses are almost all complete dogshit. Why? Well, smaller foes are typically either off-screen, or close enough to instantly cause harm to you. Also, many of their attacks turn their bodies into instant hurtboxes, and often aren't well telegraphed. Some are less bad than others, but the absolute worst is Askal, who does half-screen jumps into ground-slams, and spends half his time surrounded by little projectiles. Also a dashing punch that comes from offscreen that you have to anticipate every time he stops slamming, because there is no other cue.

The writing for the first game was much maligned and if anything this sequel doubles down, but I can't bring myself to hate it. I love that the furry freaks behind these games put their all into making their fantasy about anthropomorphic cats & dogs, colonialism and historical revisionism come to life... sincerely, it's kind of wholesome. In terms of quality it's like some kid's TV show. Whatever. The lowest point is probably Captain Kalaw. He seems as if the writer played the Ratchet and Clank remake and though Captain Klark was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frickin funny. To be fair, that only jumps out to me because the writing is otherwise much less bad than that game. I also saw a reviewer compare it to YIIK which seems like a wildly unfair assessment. This is fine for small kids but also tedious to sit through because we are adults and we like to consume dense things rather than liquid slurry.

I know that this review comes across as negative, and that's largely because I can't help but compare it negatively to the previous game. It's really not all that bad though, just hit-and-miss. Some levels are fun and suffer less from the general design issues. There were points where I'd sit down to play the game, go through two 8-minute levels and be completely checked out afterwards. Other times I'd get hooked on a really good level or set of levels and find myself playing for a good while.

For a quick summary, if FP1 is an 8.5/10 than FP2 is like... a 6.5 or 7.

I also played some Rabi-Ribi. It's a cute Metroidvania game where you play as a bunny who's been turned into a human, I've been meaning to play it for a while and so far I'm enjoying it but I'm not really far enough to give any better description or judgement.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

As a Kojima fan I waited too long to play this one:

Just had to install the base version since the Director's Cut on PC was a chuggy mess. But of the 5 hours I've played so far I find it very original, the music selection is perfect, some of the BT encounters can get annoying. The composition of the cutscenes and cinematics are well executed. It's so refreshing coming from Red Dead Redemption 2's style of cutscenes (which were generic AF). I like the theme of "humans shouldn't be isolated" we are supposed to connect with each other, very fitting in this pandemic world.

giphy.gif

Anyone know where I can a legit purchase this mask? LOL probably my favorite character so far in Death Stranding!
zvwam7fufgg71.jpg
Got you my boy

Havoc2049

I finished off the Hot Wheels DLC in Forza Horizon 5. Then completed two play throughs of Blade Runner Enhanced Edition to see two different endings and to get 1K on the achievements.

Last Saturday I finished the newest Adventure in Sea of Thieves with some friends and it was quite enjoyable. Then my crew and I joined Reapers, took down a Fort of Fortune and sunk a sloop to get their Grade 5 Merchant flag and loot. Argh!

Currently playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and only have a few chapters left to complete. Also playing Yars Recharged in Atari's Recharged series and working my way up the leader boards in Arcade and Mission modes.

april6e

Playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and Path of Exile for the first time. TTW solves many of the issues I have with the main Borderlands series (I only liked BL2, disliked all the others). I don't think it's amazing or anything but I'm having way more fun with it than any BW's game and the humor is more calm compared to BW's non-stop frat humor.

Path of Exile is great but it's overwhelmingly complicated. I'm actually having to study videos for hours to explain to me how the dozens of various end game systems work.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Currently hunting down all of the Enchiridion recipe books (Tactics Ogre), since they're fairly easy to hunt for, at least in the sense of very limited number of dungeons in the fortresses. Having to redo a lot of them three or four times to get the drops, but that ain't too bad. But I've been trying to get that Tlaloc's Bolt spear, since I'm already there in the Geyld Fortress, and ugh...mofo just won't drop it. And since it's a boss item, I have to reload and redo the whole entire battle, since the battle ends. I think I've redone this one about seven or eight times already. Gonna take a break for today most likely.

TintoConCasera

Replaying Ion Fury on MAximum Fury difficulty and I might just be having even more fun than in my first run, lol. Amazing game, might surpass Amid Evil and Dusk on my boomer shooter scale of awesomeness.

Also started Yakuza 6. Pretty cool as expected, but what I wasn't expecting is the Live Chat minigame. Based as it could be.

YAKUZA-6_-The-Song-of-Life_20181228130618.jpg

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Currently hunting down all of the Enchiridion recipe books (Tactics Ogre), since they're fairly easy to hunt for, at least in the sense of very limited number of dungeons in the fortresses. Having to redo a lot of them three or four times to get the drops, but that ain't too bad. But I've been trying to get that Tlaloc's Bolt spear, since I'm already there in the Geyld Fortress, and ugh...mofo just won't drop it. And since it's a boss item, I have to reload and redo the whole entire battle, since the battle ends. I think I've redone this one about seven or eight times already. Gonna take a break for today most likely.

I'm waiting for the Rerelease on Switch, so I can play it on that instead

TintoConCasera

Just beat Ion Fury on the maximum difficulty. That final boss was hard as balls, but ended up coming on top after like ten tries or so.

GeekyDad

If it's easier I don't mind :p
Maybe, not quite sure about that, but seems more limited. Of course, some of the visual cues seem nice. But I think they seem to be assigning elemental alignments for different classes (and perhaps creatures as well), rather than using skills to attenuate and such. Skills seem to be getting reeled back quite substantially.

I'm gonna wait for release feedback before buying this one. I'm not feeling as good about it as I was when I first heard the news about it.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I hadn't played Nioh in like a year but now I'm playing again from scratch. I'm in the ice level, stage 8 or 9 I believe. Excellent game, even better in co-op

Also had a look at Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water. Seems legit

I hadn't played Nioh in like a year but now I'm playing again from scratch. I'm in the ice level, stage 8 or 9 I believe. Excellent game, even better in co-op
The first game is good but the sequel is legit one of my favourite games. It has better level design, more mechanics, a genuinely good character creator... you still have to pick up and deal with a variety of Epic Loot though unfortunately

I wanted to replay it today because I got a new graphics card but it has some weird frame pacing issues when it isn't capped to 60... meh.

This reminds me I got up to a boss on Stranger of Paradise that keeps kicking my ass. It seems to have the ability to cast Thundaga instantly and the triple cast feels like it stunlocks me and kills me without much recourse. Maybe I can do my parry/skill steal move on it though idk. I swear to Christ though I almost beat it the very first time and my computer crashed on me and ever since then I keep getting my head kicked in

Y0ssarian

Banned
The first game is good but the sequel is legit one of my favourite games. It has better level design, more mechanics, a genuinely good character creator... you still have to pick up and deal with a variety of Epic Loot though unfortunately

I wanted to replay it today because I got a new graphics card but it has some weird frame pacing issues when it isn't capped to 60... meh.

This reminds me I got up to a boss on Stranger of Paradise that keeps kicking my ass. It seems to have the ability to cast Thundaga instantly and the triple cast feels like it stunlocks me and kills me without much recourse. Maybe I can do my parry/skill steal move on it though idk. I swear to Christ though I almost beat it the very first time and my computer crashed on me and ever since then I keep getting my head kicked in
Good to hear about Nioh 2. I haven't played 2 yet but I know what weapons I'm gonna pick when I do....spear and fists. The loot doesn't bother me, I actually kinda enjoy that aspect.

I am level 300 on SoP. I could help you if you're on ps5

Good to hear about Nioh 2. I haven't played 2 yet but I know what weapons I'm gonna pick when I do....spear and fists. The loot doesn't bother me, I actually kinda enjoy that aspect.

I am level 300 on SoP. I could help you if you're on ps5
I always heard fists were beast but I never tried em. Spears were handy as a secondary weapon for me when I tried using twin swords and realised they sucked against human enemies, having range is useful sometimes.

My problem with the loot is that it doesn't matter at all on a first playthrough, it just feels like a chore having to deal with throwing out all the rubbish. Later difficulties you do get some cool unique builds though.

Thanks for the offer btw but I'm on PC and also I'm way too much of a proud Saiya-jin warrior to accept help at a videogame. Also maybe have too much autism to deal with another human being in a real-time fashion. But mostly the Saiyan pride thing

Last edited:
Octopath Traveler 2 amped me up to play the first one on Game Pass. 4 hours in and I'm really loving it. Has some really cozy vibes and the music is PHENOMENAL.

Then there is Super Mario Odyssey on Switch. I'm having a lot of fun but fuck looking for every moon. :messenger_beaming:

Also, I've started Beacon Pines on Xbox and so far seems ok but keep in mind it's more of a walking sim + visual novel.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Just started up Watch Dogs Legion and Far Cry 6

For anyone who got even an ounce of a problem with that

weekend-ending-middle-finger.gif
Got Far Cry 6 last Christmas and haven’t played it much. Jumped back in and it’s the perfect game coming in to Autumn when it’s getting cold outside here.

Like being on a tropical holiday taking down a dictatorial regime, is extremely relaxing and fun. Say what you want about shitty Ubisoft games but Far Cry has something special and I hope they continue to refine it and make it more and more fun. It’s basic but it’s done really REALLY well and it’s fun to just switch off and have fun in that world even if it’s not “cool” to like far cry these days.

Cock of War

Dipping my toes into Yakuza for the first time, with Like a Dragon. I like it, might give the series as a whole a try. I know they are not the same type of game as Like a Dragon. Which one should I start with after Like a Dragon?

TintoConCasera

Dipping my toes into Yakuza for the first time, with Like a Dragon. I like it, might give the series as a whole a try. I know they are not the same type of game as Like a Dragon. Which one should I start with after Like a Dragon?
Yakuza 0. It's a prequel, so it's the perfect starting point story-wise, while also being a relatively new game in the series (came out between 5 and 6).

Y0ssarian

Banned
I always heard fists were beast but I never tried em. Spears were handy as a secondary weapon for me when I tried using twin swords and realised they sucked against human enemies, having range is useful sometimes.

My problem with the loot is that it doesn't matter at all on a first playthrough, it just feels like a chore having to deal with throwing out all the rubbish. Later difficulties you do get some cool unique builds though.

Thanks for the offer btw but I'm on PC and also I'm way too much of a proud Saiya-jin warrior to accept help at a videogame. Also maybe have too much autism to deal with another human being in a real-time fashion. But mostly the Saiyan pride thing
I used fists in SoP...they were beast. Spear is fun for poking people to death.

Is the gear improved in Nioh 2 in the sense they don't throw a lot of shit at you, or is it more or less the same?

That's fine. Good luck with the boss. I think you're fighting Tiamat if my memory is correct. That boss kicked my ass for a while. I think it was the first real skill check

Last edited:
Top Bottom