• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Gabe Newell thinks about Cyberpunk 2077

Right on gabe. They fucked up, so what? They will work to fix it, unlike many developers out there that just leave their game to die. Cyberpunk as it is right now, is still better than a lot of full fledged games, so fuck the haters.
NO, THEY DIDNT FUCKED UP. They did everything in their power so you, the customer, wouldn't know the real estate of the game. They knew the game was unplayable, they knew it wasn't finished and they hid it from you. They lied to you so they could make a buck. That's why they're getting sued and there should be a criminal investigation. There's enough proof for them to go to jail. They publicly stated lots of times that the game was great and running fine, but at the same time they prohibited reviewers to use their own footage, they prohibited people from reviewing last gen consoles, they never showed a single second of CP running on last gen consoles and they made sure nobody find out about the current estate of the game. That's malicious intent and they should be held accountable.

Kadayi

Banned
As someone who doesn't really pay attention to AAA hype (or play the games), it seems somewhat unfair for CDPR to get as much flack as they have. Yes, it was wrong for them to release the game in a clearly unfinished state but I feel like I see these types of stories every year. Usually regarding EA titles or other things. Seems a bit extreme for CDPR to be the scapegoat when releasing unfinished games seems to be standard practice in the gaming industry.

Bi-product of lockdown and a slow news cycle I'd say. CDP definitely mishandled things in a lot of ways, and honestly, their management team should have swallowed the bitter pill as a result of the Covid and the entire Dev team having to work from home and just concentrated on getting out a stable PC release and pushed back the consoles until later in the year. They spread themselves too thin and things went to shit. Personally, even with the odd bug and jank (no worst than anything Bethesda has shipped), I've had a blast on PC (looking forward to what the patches bring though), and dare say Gabe has all the metrics to refer to about user stickiness and all, which is where he is coming from in his assessment. The internet hate train has been rolling for a while but as anyone knows by now, internet noise is rarely if ever a true barometer of how the vast majority of people feel.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bi-product of lockdown and a slow news cycle I'd say. CDP definitely mishandled things in a lot of ways, and honestly, their management team should have swallowed the bitter pill as a result of the Covid and the entire Dev team having to work from home and just concentrated on getting out a stable PC release and pushed back the consoles until later in the year. They spread themselves too thin and things went to shit. Personally, even with the odd bug and jank (no worst than anything Bethesda has shipped), I've had a blast on PC (looking forward to what the patches bring though), and dare say Gabe has all the metrics to refer to about user stickiness and all, which is where he is coming from in his assessment. The internet hate train has been rolling for a while but as anyone knows by now, internet noise is rarely if ever a true barometer of how the vast majority of people feel.
That's a great point, I didn't even think of how Covid affected the development.

I actually want to get the PS4 version and play it without any updates. I'm mostly just curious to see how messed up it is. On a somewhat similar note, I actually deleted the ME: Andromeda update the other day cause I want to play it with the messed up facial animations. Ha.

Isendurl

NO, THEY DIDNT FUCKED UP. They did everything in their power so you, the customer, wouldn't know the real estate of the game. They knew the game was unplayable, they knew it wasn't finished and they hid it from you. They lied to you so they could make a buck. That's why they're getting sued and there should be a criminal investigation. There's enough proof for them to go to jail.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wait, is this a joke post? I cant tell.

rofif

Banned
The only people that are upset are the blind pre-order crowd that sit on consoles. They got themselves to blame for it.

The game is not good enough for your standards then don't buy it simple.
I hope this is a joke.
It's not a fault of consumers. They release a piece of shit on old consoles, lied about it and were hiding it.
Anyway - I played the game on 3080 on pc and I still think it's not that great...

fart town usa

Gold Member

steve brule GIF

Right. Can you imagine wanting a developer to go to jail for releasing a busted game?

Proof positive that life is better than ever if janky games keep you up at night.

MiguelItUp

It's a great response to it IMO. But I'd expect no better from Gabe, he's a part of a company that's always been more PC centric and has been around for quite some time. He's had enough up and down experience to feel the way he does about it.

The game functioned on PC, and I thought it was fine enough to see it through. I'm just really glad I wasn't viciously fapping over the game for several years or I surely would've been disappointed with the outcome. I mean, it was entertaining enough, but incredibly shallow, I felt. I'm just over hearing about it at this point, lmao. If you were SO upset about it, you got a refund, and moved on. They made gigantic mistakes, hopefully learned from them, and now they're working on it to make it "better." So, we'll see how that all goes I suppose.

dionysus

Yaldog
steve brule GIF

Right. Can you imagine wanting a developer to go to jail for releasing a busted game?

Proof positive that life is better than ever if janky games keep you up at night.

Imagine the precedent it would set. Plumbers in jail because pipe they installed leaked, Lowes nursury employees in jail because some roses died.

If the consumers case is strong enough, they will face civil penalties....but that is based on harm caused. The most harm caused is simply going to be the cost of the game to that consumer. And I am not even sure the civil case has a good chance. Showing the strongest version of your game and review embargoes are pretty normal.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Imagine the precedent it would set. Plumbers in jail because pipe they installed leaked, Lowes nursury employees in jail because some roses died.

If the consumers case is strong enough, they will face civil penalties....but that is based on harm caused. The most harm caused is simply going to be the cost of the game to that consumer. And I am not even sure the civil case has a good chance. Showing the strongest version of your game and review embargoes are pretty normal.
Another thing that younger people forget is that games can actually be fixed and improved upon these days. I'm not saying that a reason to release something broken but for decades when a game was released on consoles, that's what you got. Didn't matter if there were game breaking bugs, etc. That was it and we just had to deal with it.

People should at least recognize that janky games being released isn't a new trend, at least these days janky games can be fixed if the developer puts time and effort into it (which they should).

Kadayi

Banned
That's a great point, I didn't even think of how Covid affected the development.

I actually want to get the PS4 version and play it without any updates. I'm mostly just curious to see how messed up it is. On a somewhat similar note, I actually deleted the ME: Andromeda update the other day cause I want to play it with the messed up facial animations. Ha.

I think there will be a notable knock-on with releases this year for many developers tbh. I'd expect to see a lot of titles get pushed back.

Ravix

Doesn't matter how much CDPR work on it there isn't any fixing Cyberpunk. The game has zero RPG elements and is fundamentally broken. You can't polish a turd.

CDPR benefitted massively from both situations.

Funny how Gabe didn't touch on the fact CDPR hid those console versions from reviews up until release day. That's the reason they're up shit creek in the first place with investors and the gaming public.
He's just helping his buddies a bit. Most of the bug videos and playthrough I have seen portions of were on the "good enough" PC version... which has tons of progress stopping bugs and immersion breaking glitches all over the place as well.

These journos and YouTubers mush have been too high to see the problems.
Game was doomed from the get-go regardless.
Nobody posted hours long TLoU2 bug videos.

Denton

Doesn't matter how much CDPR work on it there isn't any fixing Cyberpunk. The game has zero RPG elements and is fundamentally broken. You can't polish a turd.
At this point idiocy like the one displayed here just makes me chuckle

splattered

Gaf Logic:

Gabe Newell thinks Cyberpunk is a great experience and the devs should listen to critiques and that the quality will come around. - Gaf agrees.

Gabe Newell says likes the Series X more than the PS5 in a random interview. - Gaf says OMG who even is this fat neckbeard piece of crap talking positive about Xbox? Everyone ignore him he doesn't know shit anymore, he is irrelivant!

Ravix

At this point idiocy like the one displayed here just makes me chuckle
How is it idiocy to point out that the game isn't an RPG and is missing every single feature that was promised? Sorry fanboy but CDPR played you like a fiddle and sold you a broken mess. But hey I guess it's easy to defend Cyberscam when your standards are nonexistent right?

How is it idiocy to point out that the game isn't an RPG and is missing every single feature that was promised? Sorry fanboy but CDPR played you like a fiddle and sold you a broken mess. But hey I guess it's easy to defend Cyberscam when your standards are nonexistent right?

How is it not an rpg? What is an rpg exactly? This oughtta be good.

I've played games broken far more than Cyberpunk 2077 but please, keep telling people about their own experiences.

oagboghi2

I’m not going to dedicate my life to hating a good game that had an awful launch, like so many people seem determined to do.

CDPR will improve the game over time, and if it turns in a no man sky type turnaround, all the better for gamers.

I've played games broken far more than Cyberpunk 2077 but please, keep telling people about their own experiences.
Don’t both. These people are obsessed.

Last edited:

Ravix

There are several reasons why Cyberpunk isn't an RPG. The biggest being that nothing you do in the game matters. You get one single choice at the end of the game that changes the ending and that's it. There are no branching quests with different outcomes, no alternate ways to complete a quest. V is already defined and you have no input on the character. The dialogue choices in conversations are almost nonexistent, it's just "press x" to advance the conversation. If there is a dialogue choice it changes one line and that's it. Fallout 4 had deeper conversation mechanics than this and that's just pathetic. I'm honestly curious how you or anyone else considers the game an RPG. Do you think that just because there's a leveling system that makes it an RPG?

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

NO, THEY DIDNT FUCKED UP. They did everything in their power so you, the customer, wouldn't know the real estate of the game. They knew the game was unplayable, they knew it wasn't finished and they hid it from you. They lied to you so they could make a buck. That's why they're getting sued and there should be a criminal investigation. There's enough proof for them to go to jail. They publicly stated lots of times that the game was great and running fine, but at the same time they prohibited reviewers to use their own footage, they prohibited people from reviewing last gen consoles, they never showed a single second of CP running on last gen consoles and they made sure nobody find out about the current estate of the game. That's malicious intent and they should be held accountable.
So did no mans sky...yet cyberpunk pc version is all they showed with a few bugs, thats it. Did u make a fuss about no mans sky like you are doing with cyberpunk? Lol. Hame of the year well deserved, just like skyrim was with its still massive bugs.

So did no mans sky...yet cyberpunk pc version is all they showed with a few bugs, thats it. Did u make a fuss about no mans sky like you are doing with cyberpunk? Lol. Hame of the year well deserved, just like skyrim was with its still massive bugs.
Of course I did. That guy should be in jail too.

This for me could be considered fraud. They did it with malicious intent, what part of that you don't get? Do you think they weren't aware that their product wasn't working? They lied to investors and to the customers.

Valonquar

See now tho... Gabe didn't release HL3 because all the developed stuff they threw at the wall wasn't good enough. Gotta have FUCK YOU money to do that tho.

Sorcerer

Wow it took me a second to realize that Gabe is not only defending CDPR, but also his competition ( for lack of a better a term) GOG by extension. Gaben is truly a forgiving God. (Yes I know he made a fortune off Cyberpunk, but still...)

Last edited:
Exactly. Just like 343 with Halo Infinite. You can work on it for a year if you want, the game is fundamentally broken. You would have to redo a lot of it if you want to fix it.

There are several reasons why Cyberpunk isn't an RPG. The biggest being that nothing you do in the game matters. You get one single choice at the end of the game that changes the ending and that's it. There are no branching quests with different outcomes, no alternate ways to complete a quest. V is already defined and you have no input on the character. The dialogue choices in conversations are almost nonexistent, it's just "press x" to advance the conversation. If there is a dialogue choice it changes one line and that's it. Fallout 4 had deeper conversation mechanics than this and that's just pathetic. I'm honestly curious how you or anyone else considers the game an RPG. Do you think that just because there's a leveling system that makes it an RPG?

Hahahaha. Right from the start, your first reason is completely false. So the three Witcher games aren't rpgs going by your logic. Tons and tons of JRPGs dating back to the NES days aren't rpgs at all. Your argument is poisoned from the start, terribly flawed and just untrue so I wonder how much of the game you actually played.

Choice and consequences don't make an rpg. 👏 Sing it!

The hate for this game has some of you whipped up in a hysteria and talking with the zest of QANON lunatics. Just making stuff up, some shameful shit.

Last edited:

Because they lied to investors about the state of the product in order to make current investors feel safe in their investment and get more of that sweet influx from new investors... Which drive the share prices up. This allows those who have shares to sell them at a good profit if they expect the price to fall (cdpr management brass would be in place to do so).

Lying to investors is a crime, but I don't know if you can lend in prison for it.

Interfectum

This for me could be considered fraud. They did it with malicious intent, what part of that you don't get? Do you think they weren't aware that their product wasn't working? They lied to investors and to the customers.

Hanlon's razor applies here. I don't see malice, I see a developer that bit off more than they could chew and struggled to the very end to get it right. They ultimately failed and are being put through the ringer now for it. Jailed though? Nah man, chill out.

Ravix

Hahahaha. Right from the start, your first reason is completely false. So the three Witcher games aren't rpgs going by your logic. Tons and tons of JRPGs dating back to the NES days aren't rpgs at all. Your argument is poisoned from the start, terribly flawed and just untrue so I wonder how much of the game you actually played.

Choice and consequences don't make an rpg. 👏 Sing it!

The hate for this game has some of you whipped up in a hysteria and talking with the zest of QANON lunatics. Just making stuff up, some shameful shit.
How is my argument "poisoned from the start?" The Witcher games aren't RPG's, they are action hack and slash games. The majority of people who have played an actual RPG would agree on that front. Just because CDPR tacked the label on the game to sell it to normies doesn't make it a role playing game. As far as JRPG's are concerned I wouldn't classify most of them as real role playing games either since you rarely have any player choice or ways to help define your character. I'd say that these games are just misidentified.

If choices and consequences don't make an RPG(even though that's one of the founding principles of the genre) than what does? You and every triggered fanboy that's tried to debate me on this is quickly silenced when I ask this one question. Are you going to skulk away like them when you realize you have no ground to stand on?

Lastly you need to realize that criticism isn't "hatred and hysteria." A lot of people have valid points against this objectively lacking game. You need to grow up a little and accept that not everyone has the same opinion as you do and quite labeling them as "lunatics."

Hanlon's razor applies here. I don't see malice, I see a developer that bit off more than they could chew and struggled to the very end to get it right. They ultimately failed and are being put through the ringer now for it. Jailed though? Nah man, chill out.
Except for the part where they hid every single piece of evidence of the game running like garbage. That's malicious intent.

Imagine how preposterous is the situation with Cyberpunk2077, that motherfucking Gabe Newel is in the need to speak to us.

I imagined he would say somenthing along the lines of: "Seig heil, master race! "And in the end it's not very far from what he said. It's not like he's going to say something different, you know, given that all his bussines is on the pc.

For god sake, what you expected him to say?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Who cares what Gaben thinks on this? He is benefitting from sales of the game so he’s never gonna be 100% honest. The game will always be remembered first and foremost for how bad it launched and no amount of patches or faux-contrition videos will fix that. That’s the inconvenient truth for the CDPR defence league here. Sorry Gaben but you’re full of shit pal.

It's like being asked by a chick about what he thinks about his dick.

CDPR mislead people and intentionally cash-grabbed gamers.

Reactions: MrS

Hudo

At this point the only thing he should be ever asked is what the hell is up with Half-Life 3 and when (or if) we can expect it.

Isendurl

Except for the part where they hid every single piece of evidence of the game running like garbage. That's malicious intent.

Jesus Christ dude, stop. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"malicious intent"??? Did you heard that term in Matlock one day and decided to repeat it without understanding what it means?

Yes, Im sure CDPR wanted to harm people by releasing buggy game.
Also the whole reason why invertors even filed a lawsuit against CDPR is because they seek JUSTICE above all else. They want to avenge gamers who were seriously damaged by playing Cyberpunk. We should make them statutes when they finally take down CDPR and end the evil they spread into the world, like true heroes.

amazon fly GIF

Last edited:
Jesus Christ dude, stop. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Did you heard that term in Matlock one day and decided to repeat it without understanding what it means?

Yes, Im sure CDPR wanted to harm people by releasing buggy game.
Also the whole reason why invertors even filed a lawsuit against CDPR is because they seek JUSTICE above all else. They want to avenge gamers that were seriously damaged by playing Cyberpunk. We should make them statutes when they finally take down CDPR and end the evil they spread into the world, like true heroes.

It's more like they made "the Chernobyl of videogames". You won't get away from that stuff so easily.

Years will pass and we'll still be here to remain you about how bad you fucked up.

Isendurl

It's more like they made "the Chernobyl of videogames". You won't get away from that stuff so easily.

Years will pass and we'll still be here to remain you about how bad you fucked up.

I spend like a minute trying to figure out why you decided to react to my post with this replay, but I still don't have a clue. 🤷‍♂️

But nice hyperbole I guess, doesn't quite beat the "CDPR will go to jail for malicious intent" but close enough.

perkelson

But game even on PS4 and Xbox works ? You are looking at bugs compilations instead of real gameplays. Game does perform bad but it is not unplayable. Game does have bugs but most of them are graphical glitches rather than gameplay bugs.

Moreover 90% of game takes place in interiors where game runs basically locked 30fps. It is only few places in Night City when driving car that dips performance to 15-20fps usually it hovers around 20-25fps which is not really the worst PS4 has seen.

Rikkori

But game even on PS4 and Xbox works ? You are looking at bugs compilations instead of real gameplays. Game does perform bad but it is not unplayable. Game does have bugs but most of them are graphical glitches rather than gameplay bugs.

Moreover 90% of game takes place in interiors where game runs basically locked 30fps. It is only few places in Night City when driving car that dips performance to 15-20fps usually it hovers around 20-25fps which is not really the worst PS4 has seen.
Exactly, just look at car chase here, it holds performance quite well even on PS4:

People just want to complain for the sake of it, but 99% of players don't care hence why it sold like it was going out of stock and barely anyone refunded it.

Top Bottom