• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Gabe Newell thinks about Cyberpunk 2077

Denton

Quite no-nonsense, measured thoughts. Gabe is a good man. You can see him speak on various topics here:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...uld-held-in-nz-says-gaming-tycoon-gabe-newell

"I have a lot of sympathy with a situation that every game developer finds themselves in," he said.

"All I know is that there are a lot of very happy gamers in the PC space, which are the ones that are most visible to us.

"There are aspects of the game that are just brilliant, and it shows a tremendous amount of work — it's unfair to throw stones at any other developer, because just getting something as complex and ambitious as that out the door is pretty amazing."

Speaking about Sony's decision to pull Cyberpunk 2077 from the Playstation Store, and offer refunds to those unhappy with its performance on the platform, Newell said while Steam was not party to those conversations, he did think it was an "unusual" move.

"People get mad because they care," Newell said.

He said he sometimes receives abusive emails about Valve games, and that responding in kind would be pointless when the best course of action is to learn from the situation.

"When people have those kinds of reactions, my first thought is that this is an opportunity for us, and I assume that the Cyberpunk 2077 developers are similarly just using it to crank through an make improvements that are going to be beneficial to their customers.

"They have a long history of doing a great job, of continuing to invest in their products over time and I suspect that they're going to be very good at making their customers happy over time.

"Everybody knows that if you're in this business, expectations are high, and if you do it well people are going to let you know and if you failed to meet those expectations they're are going to let you know — that's part of why it's a fun industry."

crozier

Gabe is usually right on. He’s still wrong about Linux, but that’s for another thread.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

No sensationalist bullshit. I admire that, mainly because it's easy to crap talk about other people/things/etc. And this is a guy who is at the top, so even more commendable.

There was never a problem that they messed up but will fix the game eventually. That was never the reason all the shitstorm happened.

Problem is getting 10/10 with placeholders for textures, game breaking bugs, rave reviews on YT that nobody mentioned this and of course, not allowing to show their own footage but CDPR one that they prepared for the reviewers. So lets stop the "poor CDPR". They full on lied to their consumer and padded everything to make it look like the game is perfect. As a huge Witcher fan, they deserve all the hate they are getting.

Nothing about them in this situation was pro-consumer. Also of course they are going to fix the game for free, its not a bonus we are getting. They better damn well fix their broken game because 9 million people pre ordered it not knowing what state its in.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
The only people that are upset are the blind pre-order crowd that sit on consoles. They got themselves to blame for it.

The game is not good enough for your standards then don't buy it simple.
Don't forget the reeeeera crowd who definitely amplified the issues more than usual, some of which are also "journalists"

Then there's the "influencers" on YT and other social mediums gaining mad traffic for posting bugs, reaction to bugs videos etc. etc.

Game was doomed from the get-go regardless.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Who cares what Gaben thinks on this? He is benefitting from sales of the game so he’s never gonna be 100% honest. The game will always be remembered first and foremost for how bad it launched and no amount of patches or faux-contrition videos will fix that. That’s the inconvenient truth for the CDPR defence league here. Sorry Gaben but you’re full of shit pal.

Last edited:

Keihart

Game does have a lot of work put into it, it's just obvious when looking at the amount of assets.
On the other hand it's also quite obvious how scuffed it is and hanging by a thread when playing, any sudden move and shit starts to act funny.

ZehDon

Who cares what Gaben thinks on this? He is benefitting from sales of the game so he’s never gonna be 100% honest. The game will always be remembered first and foremost for how bad it launched and no amount of patches or faux-contrition videos will fix that. That’s the inconvenient truth for the CDPR defence league here. Sorry Gaben but you’re full of shit pal.
Congratulations on being the most wrong on the internet today. Now, on an unrelated note, I'm off to enjoy Fallout New Vegas...

Well, we already dealt with what all the hack journos and grifter Youtubers, with merch stores and opinions worth less than the grease on the average console player's controller, had to say so suck it up.

Reactions: MrS
A good set of answers but still extremely charitable. Basically doesn't say a single negative thing about the game, the marketing or the review footage bans. It was more than "unusual."

A person in his position isn't going to burn any bridges so this is a fine statement for public consumption. But he's leaving all the negative aspects out of his statement entirely and its not the whole truth.

1 - Nobody should pre-order a game
2 - There was a lot of deceit from CDPR AND THE GAMING "PRESS" around this game's state upon release, they hid the consoles versions and the press went along with it.
CDPR benefitted massively from both situations.

Funny how Gabe didn't touch on the fact CDPR hid those console versions from reviews up until release day. That's the reason they're up shit creek in the first place with investors and the gaming public.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The only people that are upset are the blind pre-order crowd that sit on consoles. They got themselves to blame for it.

I dunno man, that's not really a fair statement to make.

CDPR did manipulate the situation to make console gamers believe it performed fine.. That's fact.

I mean it wasn't really in acceptable state even for PS5 and Series X gamers, not just base consoles.

"Quite no-nonsense, measured thoughts."

The same Gabe?

"which is better?"

Xbox.

Why?

Because it's.

Specially in light of how all of it has turned out... you couldn't laugh harder even if you tried.

I'm sure he's really a measured man. Yes, very measured during the Xbox 360/PS3 era as well. He's specially measured when counting Steam money too, and dropping development of games... only to do so when feeling strategic, like, for PC VR. Despite of course having a consumer base clearly demanding and yearning for high quality blockbuster software, and choosing consciously to not deliver it and make the investment.

As for that interview - a lot of nothing aka "this specific case doesn't affect our platform" "who cares about consoles or SONY?". Typical PR answers he's capable of giving when he wants unlike when feeling like dropping a dig on a no-love lost competitor of his.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well, CD Projekt shouldn' have released the game as it was but yeah, at least they're trying to work on it. That's more than fucking Blizzard have ever done with the piece of shit called WarCraft III: Reforged.

Last edited:

Denton

Specially in light of how all of it has turned out... you couldn't laugh harder even if you tried.
You sound almost offended that he expressed a preference different from yours. You sound like a Sony fanboy.

Meanwhile it seems understandable to me why he prefers Xbox these days. Because despite Valve's past worries about MS locking Windows down, MS actually went into another direction and decided to support PC gaming with Xbox gaming equally, and Gabe is a fan of companies that release their games on as many platforms as possible.

You sound almost offended that he expressed a preference different from yours. You sound like a Sony fanboy.
I provided examples as to why I disagree with your read of the interview and the way the man behaves or conducts himself on occasion. What was posted wasn't done in a vacuum - but as a response to a specific descriptor. I think anyone objectively looking at those instances of behavior will see that there is nothing "measured" there, much less "no nonsense" aka real - when the truth is much further apart.
Meanwhile it seems understandable to me why he prefers Xbox these days. Because despite Valve's past worries about MS locking Windows down, MS actually went into another direction and decided to support PC gaming with Xbox gaming equally, and Gabe is a fan of companies that release their games on as many platforms as possible.
Now you're trying to rationalize why what clearly doesn't fit the mold of your read is the way it's. In that sense you can believe what you want to believe, and make any rationalization as to why the man said the things he said etc and speculate on the motives, intent etc... to fit within your view of the man as a person. You do have to wonder whether you're rationalizing it that way because you genuinely believe that or just to retort... Anyway I just disagree, and I said my piece as to why... having knowledge of a bit of history regarding the relationship and that is my take.

Last edited:

FranXico

Gabe is a fan of companies that release their games on as many platforms as possible.
By "as many platforms as possible" you mean Steam, right? How many Xbox Studios games are getting released on EGS and GOG compared to Steam?

Yeah, a real man of the people.

This is all sincere concern over the best for consumers. No politics whatsoever.

Last edited:
By "as many platforms as possible" you mean Steam, right? How many Xbox Studios games are getting released on EGS and GOG compared to Steam?

Yeah, a real man of the people.

This is all sincere concern over the best for consumers. No politics whatsoever.
Gabe is like Phil when it comes to cult status... just different audiences. And to be fair, recently, Cerny as well on the PS side (although for different reasons - important).

Last edited:

Sentenza

People like to give Gabe shit but he's on the money here.
They do? As far as I remember the man has mostly been reasonable with any of his past public statements.

On a side note, this is borderline uncanny as far as coincidences go.
It was merely minutes ago that I was reading other completely unrelated gaming news (stuff about Hitman, the EGS, etc) and out of nowhere I found myself realizing " Now that I think about it Gabe Newell is more has more or less withdrawn from making any public appearances/declaration. I haven't heard a word about the man in ages..." and the first tile I see loading this forum is this thread about something he said.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
All I know is that there are a lot of very happy gamers in the PC space, which are the ones that are most visible to us.

"There are aspects of the game that are just brilliant, and it shows a tremendous amount of work — it's unfair to throw stones at any other developer, because just getting something as complex and ambitious as that out the door is pretty amazing.
No lies here. 100% agreed

Sentenza

"Quite no-nonsense, measured thoughts."

The same Gabe?

"which is better?"

Xbox.

Why?

Because it's.

I'm sure he's really a measured man. Yes, very measured during the Xbox 360/PS3 era as well. He's specially measured when counting Steam money too, and dropping development of games... only to do so when feeling strategic, like, for PC VR. Despite of course having a consumer base clearly demanding and yearning for high quality blockbuster software, and choosing consciously to not deliver it and make the investment.

As for that interview - a lot of nothing aka "this specific case doesn't affect our platform" "who cares about consoles or SONY?". Typical PR answers he's capable of giving when he wants unlike when feeling like dropping a dig on a no-love lost competitor of his.
Jesus Christ. What an unhinged rant. It's not that serious, you know.

I sort of wish there was an "autism" reaction emote like on RPG Codex for stuff like this.
kW35CMG.gif

Last edited:

What are you talking about? The final pc game looks nothing like what has been shown before.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Right on gabe. They fucked up, so what? They will work to fix it, unlike many developers out there that just leave their game to die. Cyberpunk as it is right now, is still better than a lot of full fledged games, so fuck the haters.
But if you take this stance you cannot make 5 outraged YouTube videos, so what's the point?

Guilty_AI

This is real cyberpunk right here, people still find excuses to defend a megacorporation that has just fucked them in the ass
CDP can hardly be called a megacorp though. They have money but are in only like two or three line of business, and hold no real power over any market.

A megacorp is someone like Sony, Microsoft, Amazon or Google... a company with so much money and influence they can pretty much buy the rules of the game.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
As long as they drop the 'next-gen' subtitle they use in their marketing and allow the game to just stand by its own merits, we'll be gucci. Aside from graphics - which are quite diluted by the shitty TAA implementation - this game is clearly not 'next-gen' or even paradigm-shifting. Like, at all.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As someone who doesn't really pay attention to AAA hype (or play the games), it seems somewhat unfair for CDPR to get as much flack as they have. Yes, it was wrong for them to release the game in a clearly unfinished state but I feel like I see these types of stories every year. Usually regarding EA titles or other things. Seems a bit extreme for CDPR to be the scapegoat when releasing unfinished games seems to be standard practice in the gaming industry.

Top Bottom