• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What failed competitive multiplayer from a mostly single player game would you like to see revived as a free to play title?

We all remember when developers couldn't stop adding multiplayer modes to single player games. Developers would take resources that could have made for a better single player game, and they'd spend them on vs mutliplayer content that wouldn't have an online community even a month after launch. Most of them were horrible. But some of you must know some game where you loved the multiplayer, and wish it could have found an audience. Perhaps something that was genuinely unique and fun, but because it was attached to a single player game, most people didn't even bother.

For a moment, assume you could have that game back as a cosmetic supported online multiplayer free to play title. The game would have a second chance, and get a big marketing push. What game would you pick and why?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was gonna say that, but for Blacklist.

I know you're referring to Classic mode and not that 3v3 abomination where everyone sprints around like Uncharted multiplayer.

Alas, we are a small group. I dare not drive division among our people. You are loved either way my brother.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

For me definitely dead space 2 multiplayer, was a good left 4 dead clone and was pretty well balanced for barely being updated

GHound

metal-gear-online-1419232505.jpg

Yes I know about the fan project. Yes 65 whole people are playing right now. But the barrier of entry is such that the overwhelming majority will never bother. Kind of like the original release with its Konami ID system 😏

Last edited:

Fbh

I actually liked the multiplayer in AC Brotherhood.
It got a bit overboard with the powers and grew old rather quickly but me and some friends had a blast with it for a couple of months.

Wouldn't mind Ubisoft giving it another try rather than adding another 20 hours of repetitive bloat to their next game.

CunningPlan

Neo Member
I loved it... Embarrassed to admit it but I was hooked on buying the class packs for it. The one and only time I have.

Red Faction Guerilla multiplayer modes were pretty fun. Especially the one where one team was trying to demolish a sky scraper and the other protect it.

Larxia

I actually liked the multiplayer in AC Brotherhood.
It got a bit overboard with the powers and grew old rather quickly but me and some friends had a blast with it for a couple of months.

Wouldn't mind Ubisoft giving it another try rather than adding another 20 hours of repetitive bloat to their next game.
Was my first thought too. Absolutely loved the multiplayer in Brotherhood. Then it got less and less good with each following sequel, they kept adding features and changing modes making it less balanced and fun. There was already a big problem with it in Brotherhood, if you were in a game where people wouldn't try playing well and instead just run everywhere on rooftop like stupids, the match would be kind of ruined, but I feel like this got worse and worse with each game.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Lost Planet 2 and MGS Online for me.

Lost Planet's multiplayer was doomed to fail from the jump because it wasnt on individual servers - somone needed to host the game and it wouldnt launch until full. Fun in the limited time it lasted.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I fuckin LOVED Ghost War, the PVP from Ghost Recon Wildlands. I think it was honestly amazing.

But they didn't release it until like 6 months after the single player release for some reason and the player base just wasn't there anymore.

Then they kinda bjorked it with Breakpoint and it just wasn't the same.

But man it scratched that team based, 3rd person, tactical pvp itch so good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I never played it but I've heard people champion the Mass Effect multiplayer.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is amazing but its co-op, not competitive.

edit: nvrmind lots of people mentioning it anyway lol. Its indeed fantastic. What made it special was the variety in classes, enemies, and maps. And all the multiplayer dlc was FREE. In an EA game holy shit

Last edited:

Warablo

Assassins Creed, Spies vs mercs (Splinter Cell), and MGS Online were all pretty solid multiplayer titles.

Metal gear online and assassin’s creed, assassin‘s creed games were so damn unique I really wish they were more popular. Uncharted 2 and 3.

I never played it but I've heard people champion the Mass Effect multiplayer.
I’m still annoyed they didn’t include it in the legendary edition.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear Online 2 was somethin special. Too bad for the konami ID shit. I lost my account info and couldnt login after 2010.

i was even in the beta.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is amazing but its co-op, not competitive.

edit: nvrmind lots of people mentioning it anyway lol. Its indeed fantastic. What made it special was the variety in classes, enemies, and maps. And all the multiplayer dlc was FREE. In an EA game holy shit
It's my thread, and the rules that I made up, and yet ME3 multiplayer was still the game I was thinking of most when I posted this thread. I think EA was insane to leave it out of the Remaster. They should just develop it, sit on it until the next N7 day, and then stealth release it as a free to play title like they did with Apex.

Top Bottom