• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What exactly excites you about Avowed?

What excites you about avowed?

• Skyrim similarity

Votes: 45 19.9%
  • Open world gameplay

Votes: 50 22.1%
  • First person combat in a fantasy world

Votes: 63 27.9%
  • Obsidian is developing it

Votes: 103 45.6%
  • Its connection to the Pillars games

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Other reason

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • What? Who? When?

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • I am not excited option (Vlodril certified)

Votes: 59 26.1%

• Total voters
Obsidian hugely talented devs got MS backing now. Their team is bigger than ever, budget way bigger than their previous games and They got MS to help them getting most out of Xbox for Avowed.

Obsidian made best Fallout game and their pillars games are fantastic.

Other games which were not that good, but still had good story and writing like Alpha protocol.

Bkdk

I’m hoping for real diverse choices base on both dialogue and gameplay that will lead to drastic changes of locations, quests, enemies, characters and endings. Also please allow mods and a diverse character customization that shows inclusivity to sexy and attractive female characters.

Reactions: Isa

Fredrik

Outer Worlds in a fantasy setting with MS dollars behind it.....

All In Poker GIF by PokerStars
This.

Although, I still don’t trust that CG trailer to actually show anything meaningful or even if it’s first person.

tmlDan

I can't say im excited until i see more but i love fantasy RPG's so im an auto in if its even half decent.

Only cause obsidian. havent seen anything really of the game. It could be as great as something like PoE or end up trash like TOW

Last edited:
Didn’t care for outer worlds but I’m excited if it’s like combat oriented first person action adventure in a fantasy world

How are you supposed to get excited for a teaser trailer?
If you have prior knowledge about the developers or the games series, then yeah, I could see a teaser doing something for people.

That trailer does as much as this did for me 8 years ago, almost nothing

It's the Skyrim comparisons that confound me.
Is that all I need to show to generate hype- Gameplay from that perspective in a fantasy world?

Last edited:

TonyK

For me it's because it's exclusive. I have a PS5 but I'm always very interested in any exclusive game in any platform. Exclusives have for me something special that multiplatform doesn't have.

GymWolf

I'm excited for any big triple A open world action rpg tbh, except bethesda games.

Also the trailer looked neat.

I didn't liked the outer world that much but this seems pretty different.

Hopefully the combat is not gonna be hot trash...

Last edited:
Nothing excites me now unless it has, RT reflections on cars so it looks like I'm in Vegas, rifts, hidable grass, looting and crafting, 3 talent trees, sad dad/uncle/ aunt, gotta be able to finish it in around 3 days too so I can get some of the 125$ I spent back.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
There is currently nothing to be excited about since they showed zero gameplay or any indication of its systems.
So you don't get excited when a developer you like has something new coming until they demonstrate some detail threshold? How about Cyberpunk where they showed details too early then had to change plans? And since you have a Ganon avatar, did you have zero interest in BoTW2 in the 2 years between teasers? Do you have any interest in it now with the small amount of detail revealed in the last teaser?

For reference, I am stoked about Avowed and Starfield because I have enjoyed games from those teams in the past enough to trust that they will produce something worth sinking 40 hours into.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I'll probably be able to answer that once the game actually exists and they can show real gameplay.

SpiceRacz

With the right funding, I think Obsidian could potentially make something better than Skyrim. That's exciting.

ViolentP

Microsoft IP avatar, a thread pushing a Microsoft published game, and a second post calling out "no console war shit"? I'm either too old or too jaded to humor the question in its current state.

Microsoft IP avatar, a thread pushing a Microsoft published game, and a second post calling out "no console war shit"? I'm either too old or too jaded to humor the question in its current state.
It's not just a "Microsoft IP avatar", it's a State of Decay avatar. It's not just a "Microsoft published game", it's an Obsidian-developed game based off of some other really cool, platform-agnostic Obsidian-developed games.

You can't exclusively(heh) think of games in terms of these consoles, my man. It takes away from your experience with the actual games.

MadPanda

Banned
This will be the first game where Obsidian has full financial backing to make an AAA game, without having to worry for its future. Let's see what they can do in such circumstances. They made some good but flawed games in the past and have been on the verge of existence for quite some time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So you don't get excited when a developer you like has something new coming until they demonstrate some detail threshold? How about Cyberpunk where they showed details too early then had to change plans? And since you have a Ganon avatar, did you have zero interest in BoTW2 in the 2 years between teasers? Do you have any interest in it now with the small amount of detail revealed in the last teaser?

For reference, I am stoked about Avowed and Starfield because I have enjoyed games from those teams in the past enough to trust that they will produce something worth sinking 40 hours into.
The Zelda teasers contain ingame graphics which is easy to believe since BotW2 will reuse assets, furthermore the latest trailer showcases a whole new continent and clearly shows gameplay mechanics to look forward to and has several very small details that make for a lot of discussion.

Do I have interest in BotW2? You betcha!! But my interest level isn't super high since it's going to be IMO a Q3-Q4 2022 release at the earliest. But they did show gameplay and a tentative release window.

As for Avowed? No because it isn't showing the game itself and how it's played. I don't believe for a second that the footage we saw is going to represent the game's actual engine at all.

So until trailers like this lose the smoke and mirrors and show me the receipts will I be hyped for it? Absolutely not.

A better analogy would be am I interested or hyped for say Metroid Prime 4 and as of right now the answer is no because nothing on MP4 has been shown at all.

---------------------

Cyberpunk was an overhyped mess. Especially at the beginning where they liked to claim something they did was SO GREAT AND UNBELIEVABLE but it really wasn't. A lot of the hype they tried to generate was pure peacocking behind closed doors and the console launch was abysmal. PC was playable but not as great as it could be and sometimes had bugs and sometimes did not.

And as it stands I would not touch Cyberpunk for at least 3 years or until the game is in a completed state. It has great potential and the game be play and look stunning at times but it simply is not ready. And because of the blatant overhype and promises and bullshit, bad marketing and delays upon delays, CDPR will have a lot of work to do to rebuild the trust they destroyed. Good fucking luck.

Point being if you want to announce something fine. Just have something to show for it. As you get older you're likely not going to care about some eyecandy announcement for something that won't be finished in the next 6+months.

3 months or less. Concise gameplay footage telling me what I'm getting and a clear concise release date/window that tells me when I'm getting it.

Thank you for your questions though!! Was a pleasure answering them. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

It's been a year plus of a global pandemic.

Pretty sure any game from a known developer that is new excites almost anyone these days, doesn't matter what it is.

We're all scrounging for a piece of excitement.

CitizenZ

Banned
This will be the first game where Obsidian has full financial backing to make an AAA game, without having to worry for its future. Let's see what they can do in such circumstances. They made some good but flawed games in the past and have been on the verge of existence for quite some time.

But they didnt need any $$$$ backing to make epic experiences.

CitizenZ

Banned
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you please explain?

In case you are unaware they are they are the devs of classics like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol, Pillars of Eternity 1 -2 , Fallout New Vegas. All on tight schedules and all delivering some of the best gaming exp. ever.

MadPanda

Banned
In case you are unaware they are they are the devs of classics like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol, Pillars of Eternity 1 -2 , Fallout New Vegas. All on tight schedules and all delivering some of the best gaming exp. ever.
I'm well aware of that, but all of those games prove my point. With the proper financial backing those games would be much better. If nothing else, they'd have much better quality assurance, but other areas could be better too. Exactly those games prove that they have what it takes to make amazing games, they just lacked time and money.

Reactions: Isa

Hawke502

Now imagine those games with more time to develop and the financial backing of Microsoft

I was excited until (saw this on Reddit, but some was confirmed on LinkedIn):

Lead Writer quits after being there a year (Farcry writer, who seems perfect for this)
Lead Level Designer quits
Lead Designer got moved off project
Project Director got moved off project at same time, apparently is on extended leave

Yikes. I want to be optimistic, but gonna be a wait-and-see on this one

Havoc2049

I like RPGs, Obsidian makes some good RPGs, they now have a large budget and the teaser trailer was cool. I'm amped for Avowed!

Havoc2049

I hope it's not the same team that worked on The Outer Worlds.
I am a little worried, as The Outer Worlds was a little too woke, with some woke storylines you could see coming from a mile away, were as subtle as a brick to the head and as a result, boring. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I am a little worried, as The Outer Worlds was a little too woke, with some woke storylines you could see coming from a mile away, were as subtle as a brick to the head and as a result, boring. Fingers crossed.
My only issue was it was just kind of... there. Despite the premise. Was hoping for more, but was forgettable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm just hyped Obsidian is developing it honestly. Big fan of their work. I really enjoyed Outer Worlds and that was developed mostly before their acquisition. So this will be their first game fully with Microsoft's help.

To be sure a lot of these games are getting hype for the same couple of reasons. Fable is developed by PG, and now Microsoft is backing them. Starfield is the same for Bethesda. Redfall, Everwild, Hellblade 2...I mean the list goes on obviously. I think people are just eager to see what talented studios can do now that manpower and finances aren't so much of a limiting factor.

Zeypher

Well cause obsidian is making it. They atleast know that they are making a game which a lot of developers seem to forget.

Top Bottom