• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Sony's silence mean?

Mmnow

I don't get that people are expecting 99% compatibility of PS4 games. I've only heard them saying that they are shooting for the top 100 PS4 games. That's it. No full PS1, PS2, PS3 compatibility and not 99% PS4 compatibility.
There was a lot of confusion early on that hasn't been fully cleared up, no matter what anybody says.

They have said repeatedly that they expect the vast majority of PS4 games to play on PS5. The 99 per cent quote came from Jim Ryan a couple of weeks ago. He was talking about the games they've tested.

I'm not so sure they mean at launch. I suspect there will be a whitelist of a few hundred to a few thousand titles at launch, with constant updates as they tweak their system. There won't be any enhancements to the vast majority of titles except to loading times, where they'll be similar to the Series X stuff.

Anything better than this will be amazing, but I'd rather set myself up for disappointment.

G-Bus

Banned
It means they know where they stand. Have nothing to prove to anyone. Ps4 still sells well and ps5 pre orders keep selling out.

The only ones uneasy about this are a minority of internet forums users.

Last edited:

Business

I tried to believe in the best case scenario too in the past few months but I’ve given up. They had a crazy winning hand and they are on their path to ruin it.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
It means they know where they stand. Have nothing to prove to anyone. Ps4 still sells well and ps5 pre orders keep selling out.
Of course they still have things to prove. If you're in the game it's because you want to compete. Nintendo have been doing this way longer than Sony and they're still proving people wrong, serving their users and trying to bring great products to market. No company can afford to rest on its laurels or past successes.

Last edited:
I have common sense.

No, you have green kool aid and rose tinted glasses on your side fixed that for ya 😉
iyT7YlX.gif

tryDEATH

What I don't understand is why they are giving first access to Japanese YouTubers when they represent a region they absolutely dominate at an impenetrable level. Its the USA and Europe market that they need to advertise as those are the markets Xbox is making a head on assault on with the Series S and GamePass.

They have fallen so far behind when it comes to messaging and mindshare leading up to next generation that even if they do a large info dump a month before release, it will be too condensed and fight for attention between their own info and that of Xbox, which still has more info releasing at schedule that will dominate the lead up. I just haven't seen this sort of PR strategy ever before.

What I don't understand is why they are giving first access to Japanese YouTubers when they represent a region they absolutely dominate at an impenetrable level. Its the USA and Europe market that they need to advertise as those are the markets Xbox is making a head on assault on with the Series S and GamePass.

They have fallen so far behind when it comes to messaging and mindshare leading up to next generation that even if they do a large info dump a month before release, it will be too condensed and fight for attention between their own info and that of Xbox, which still has more info releasing at schedule that will dominate the lead up. I just haven't seen this sort of PR strategy ever before.

lol Sony dominates in Japan? No. Nintendo bitchslaps Sony daily in Japan.

LordOfChaos

I don't get that people are expecting 99% compatibility of PS4 games. I've only heard them saying that they are shooting for the top 100 PS4 games. That's it. No full PS1, PS2, PS3 compatibility and not 99% PS4 compatibility.

The top 100 games was Cerny talking about a sampling of what works with BC, not the same as they're only targeting the top 100 games, and they had to test ever game because "the boost was truly massive this time" and they had to turn it on and off per game. They even released a blog about that right after since the FUD was creeping up.

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

So the question is what games won't make it, but not that only the top 100 work.

Birdo

Banned
If a strange year is Playing thru FFVII remake, Nioh 2, The last of us 2, Ghosts of tsuhshima, Genshin impact, amongst a slew of other titles All in a span of 6 months PLUS PS5 releasing in november with arguably its best lineup in comparison to ps1, 2, and 3. Then i cant wait to see whats beyond strange. Why talk when the proof is in the pudding? theres been no shortage or drought of games this year on playstation even with covid hampering things down, and you call this STRANGE? are you for real? Please elaborate.

I meant a strange year for Sony fans reguarding PS5 information flow. Happy?

I love that my post got you so worked up that you had to write a list of exclusive PS4 games :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets just spell it out:

Last few years Xbox main selling points have been: Most powerful console on the market, Best Backwards compatibility on the market, and more recently Gamepass, the best value in gaming.

That seem at all unfair?

How is Series S/X different?

LOLCats

Banned
Which is worrying just over a month to go from release. You'd think software solutions would of been worked and iterated on for many, many years.
Yes and even if there is not many launch games they should be selling the other aspects of their hardware for example cooler quieter operation, faster SSD, so many things that could be going on about but they're not

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
So are we more worried about policys or the games? Which policys have impacted you directly or a game you enjoy and how? i respect your opinion so please elaborate, because im just not seeing it? Maybe im just too old school and value show me more than tell me. I feel like we as gamer's are getting worse and worse as far as a sense of entitlement. Of course sony is far from perfect, but ive yet to see a company that is, These guys are market leader for a reason its not a fluke, And they are always about the games.... you know the most important aspect about video gaming... no smoke and mirrors or tricks to stall for time, the quality and consistency is and has been there for a long time. I think alot of people simply just cant stand that, and wish to peg them down, just like people wanted to see michael jordan fail and looked for any flaw to blow up no matter how minuscule it was.

Sure 😊. For me the policies of the last two years I have felt could be better are;

- Refunds to match XBox or Steam.
- Dragging their feet with Crossplay.
- Initially not allowing EA Play.
-Miss judged game conferences (the walking theater one and the Mark Cerny first look PS5 reveal).
-The constant price increases (UK is on the 3rd one since the launch of the PS4).
- Paid Upgrade of Spiderman.
- Mixed messages on PS4 BC and no details on enhanced patches. It's important to us with large game collections.
- Disappointing PS3/PS2 classics. No where near what was initially promised.
-PS Now not been too competitive with Gamepass.
- Exclusivity content gatekeeping. Spiderman should be playable on all versions etc.
-Basic UI features still missing like Time Played and Wish Lists etc.
- Staggered world wide launch despite saying they wouldn't do that.
- It was said that Pre-orders would be announced "well ahead of time" (they wernt).
- This is subjective but top tier studios like Naughty Dog seemingy not treating men and women of The Last of Us: Part 2 equally (women are almost universally not allowed to be conventionally pretty as opposed to the men). Same goes for Injustice 2/Mortal Kombat 11 actually, at least initially as far as character outfits are concerned. I'm all for equality just when it applies to both genders across the board equally otherwise it ruins the immersion. Also things like reducing boobs and giving a character a big nose because she's Jewish in game rubs me the wrong way, especially when apart from that she looks exactly like her voice actor.
- Key popular people leaving the Playstation band such as Andrew House, Adam Boyes and Shaun Layden (under mysterious circumstances), Shuhei Yoshida been demoted.
- Jim Ryan coming across as detached from the core fanbase and saying things like "why would people play old games" etc.

Just to point out I love Sony. The PS4 is my favorite console ever and Naughty Dog my favorite developers. But that dosnt stop me been able to criticise. (Just didn't want to come across as a fanboy making that list).

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
It's almost.. As if they're a company with integrity and a vision/business plan that they're sticking to instead of having a knee-jerk reaction, even if people complain/outrage/are worried on internet forums 🤔

Seems like your blindly following them. At what point do you start questioning them then? Has a company with "vision and a business plan" never gone down hill before? (Spoilers it has). Is now not the most important time to read the tea leafs when were about to all make relatively large financial investments?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
First up if you have no raised eyebrows to Sony's PS5 strategy this gen then this thread isnt for you, glad your happy.

So we were promised a Tear down video back at the first official reveal by Mark Cerny. Just over a month out this has yet to arrive.

We haven't seen the OS or its features at all.

We still don't know about the backwards compatibility. The initial messaging was different even amongst Sony, later it was corrected but since then nothing.

I can think of three possible reasons for that, from best case to worst case.

Best case: They are saving amazing news right till last minute because they are that confident in what they have. It will be the knock out punch so to speak.

Ok case: They are intimidated by their rivals tech/Backwards Compatability and so have been working on features right till the end. They haven't revealed anything because they genuinely don't know what they will have/be able to produce come launch.

Worst case: They know their tech, backwards compatability approach is lesser than Microsofts so are purposely sweeping it under the rug. They know they have "lost" on these points, so best not to address it.

So Gaf which option is most likely? Or is there something else that might be going on that I haven't listed? Myself I'm hoping for option 1 but I thinking option 3 is the most likely at this point.
no news is always bad news.

TonyK

Worst case: They know their tech, backwards compatability approach is lesser than Microsofts so are purposely sweeping it under the rug. They know they have "lost" on these points, so best not to address it.
Sadly, I'm sure it would be this.

Hostile_18

Banned
no news is always bad news.

Indeed. If I was working for Sony I'd of weighed up the bad publicity of not saying anything vs the publicity of announcing something inferior to the competition. The former would likely be the preferable option. Focus on the strengths (Games) gloss over the weaknesses (BC).

Last edited:
Best case: They always planned to have one last big push of information in October. We have some evidence that this may be the case with the Japanese YouTubers hands-on videos that are about to come out.

Ok case: They planned to have info 'drops' throughout the months leading up to launch and the drip-feed of information was part of the plan. Perhaps due to manufacturing costs/competitor moves/COVID-19/etc. they've had to redo, reschedule, and outright cancel some planned events. We have some evidence of this based on them rescheduling the original PS5 console reveal due to the George Floyd protests.

Worst case: They've got people working in their communication and brand/product management that were significantly unprepared for launching the PS5, and as a result, they've been fumblefucking their way to a cohesive message and cohesive product rollout. Unfortunately, there's a growing amount of evidence on this in the form of a lack of video footage of videogames, a completely disorganized pre-order launch (e.g. having Geoff Keighley announce pre-order info for the console), miscommunication about first-party games (e.g. Spider-Man debacle, Demon's Souls trailer having incorrect platform information), blogposts that raise more questions than answers about console features (e.g. Create button, BC etc.).

It's important to note that just because one group in your company is doing a bad job with a product does not mean that the product is bad and or that the other groups are sucking as well. The way to think about it is if one tire on your car gets a flat, that doesn't mean the car sucks or the other tires sucks. It just mean that one tire got a flat and needs to be fixed. After the console launches, I would not be surprised at all to hear that a number of people working in their PlayStation marketing department(s) have been moved into other departments and or have 'left' the company. You just can't mess up the most popular product and product brand in your company.

NahaNago

It's the worst case. If Sony was confident this time around we would have tons of info on everything surrounding the ps5. They need to create their own vision of what next gen is and go with it , just like how Microsoft is doing with the aquisitions, gamepass, and backwards compatibility, but Sony won't commit to pretty much anything. Sony is oh were going to buy more studios and we hear crickets on that, oh were going to have backwards compatibility were hear crickets on that, oh we are about exclusives that push hardware and half the games they showed us are for both gens. They are simply responding to everything Microsoft is doing hoping for a used game fumble like error from Microsoft.

lefty1117

Gold Member
MS was quiet for a while and we were starting to bash on Phil, then they came out with the Bethesda megaton and since then it's just been a stream of positive news. COuld be that Sony is preparing their own megaton drop. What could it be?

Apeopleman

If Sony is hiding anything, it’s launch day Socom ready for download on November 12, 2020 on PSN, developed by the one and only Guerilla Games. You heard it here first folks

Seems like your blindly following them. At what point do you start questioning them then? Has a company with "vision and a business plan" never gone down hill before? (Spoilers it has). Is now not the most important time to read the tea leafs when were about to all make relatively large financial investments?
Huh? I'm most certainly not blindly following them or anyone else 😅

I'm dying for some news as well and I would love to have more info. I think they have handled everything about the reveal in a kind of strange way, but I guess much of that is down to covid.

But anyway, my point is it's their decision. I'm sure they have a plan, and the pre-orders are a huge success, no? So it doesn't seem like a handful of angry forum posters represent the large majority.

I guess we'll see if it's a successful strategy or not, but in my opinion companies should stick to their plans and ignore entitled people. I respect that.

So when do I start questioning Sony? I dunno, not yet by far 🤷‍♂️ - for me personally they have shown more than enough for me to pre-order.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ps5 sold out thanks to bots and early adopters, by the time people looking for more info can buy one it will all out there from reviews and stuff.

Ps5 sold out thanks to bots and early adopters, by the time people looking for more info can buy one it will all out there from reviews and stuff.

we also have no info on how many units sold, and there was that business reported by Bloomberg weeks ago.

Best case: They are saving amazing news right till last minute because they are that confident in what they have. It will be the knock out punch so to speak.

Pre-orders are sold out everywhere, why wait on the messaging? If they had great news we'd seen it by now.

kyoji

I meant a strange year for Sony fans reguarding PS5 information flow. Happy?

I love that my post got you so worked up that you had to write a list of exclusive PS4 games :messenger_grinning_squinting:
if that makes you feel good about yourself thinking you worked me up whatever floats your boat, be more specific and then maybe we can have a better discord when you make a statement. I thought you were a better poster than that but it seems you are like some of these other machines on here when someone asks for clarification or makes a counter point, you fall back on claiming someone is triggered

Kagero

If you actually get off gaming sites and look at this from a general perspective. Both companies have shown the same things. Console/price/release date. The hardcore only make up a very small percentage. Just talking to normies and family members it’s clear that Sony still dominates when it come to mind share.

I mean, if they aren't showing certain things, the obvious reason why is because they think doing so will make the system look bad. Same is true for Microsoft.

Companies like to market their strengths, not their weaknesses.

Really the only question is whether or not the reason a certain aspect of the system isn't being shown is because it is unfinished or inferior. And that is anyone's guess.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It means that they’re the market leader and know that they will sell every console they can make this year. They don’t need to say anything so they won’t. They also know that they’ve got the worse hardware and software features, so don’t want any comparisons to come out.

Vawn

Banned
Um... isn't Sony the ones who have actually showed gameplay?

Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Astro's Playroom, Godfall, Sackboy, Miles Morales ALL have gameplay videos shown.

What are you wanting them to do? Endless interviews where they talk circles around themselves and contradict each other like the competition is doing?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
we also have no info on how many units sold, and there was that business reported by Bloomberg weeks ago.

True, guess after a lot of the higher ups left they kinda floundering on what to do at this point a bit.

RayHell

I'm cancelling my pre-order, sitting it out and seeing how things develop. They're back to arrogant Sony days. A month to launch and what do they do? Give it to a bunch of Japanese YouTubers to mostly show the Playroom "game". Fuck off.
Are you ok men ? You got me worried.

Hostile_18

Banned
Um... isn't Sony the ones who have actually showed gameplay?

Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Astro's Playroom, Godfall, Sackboy, Miles Morales ALL have gameplay videos shown.

What are you wanting them to do? Endless interviews where they talk circles around themselves and contradict each other like the competition is doing?

It's what there not saying that's the issue and why there not saying it. They should be easily able to talk about OS and BC features if they were robust and in place without worrying about giving contradictory responses.

Vawn

Banned
It's what there not saying that's the issue and why there not saying it. They should be easily able to talk about OS and BC features if they were robust and in place without worrying about giving contradictory responses.

Lol you are reaching. The console has PS4 BC. The OS UI is a non-isdue. It likely looks like PS3/PS4. Such a small concern compared to the games, and PS5 is already dominating in that department.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I don't think they want to be seen as "competing" with Microsoft. They want to be seen as doing things on their own terms

It's disappointing that they have been so quiet. As gamers theres a lot we still don't know that we would to know.

With just over a month left a lot of people have nothing to be hyped over so far.

Top Bottom