• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want to see for First party support on PS5?

Jubenhimer

We're getting closer to the next generation of games as the 2010s wind down. One key component of Next gen systems will be more important than ever before, First party content from the platform holders. With Nintendo fully flexing the muscle of its Entertainment Planning and Development Division (EPD) on the Switch, and Microsoft doing its best to rebuild Xbox Game Studios in time for Scarlett, That just leaves Sony, and its Worldwide Studios to speculate about for the PlayStation 5. The company recently made some key changes to its First party software management. Shawn Layden recently departed from his position as WWS chairman, long-time PlayStation alumni, Shuei Yoshida is being moved out of WWS, and Gurrella Games Studio Head, Helmen Hurst, had just been given the keys to Sony's entire First Party Empire.

With all these changes made, what do you want or hope to see in terms of First Party games from Sony and their army of 14 development subsidiaries and independent collaborators? Here's a few things I want to see next gen

1.) Continue to embrace big budget projects - One of PlayStation's strengths is that it's not afraid to go all out with the production values of its games. As much as the "PlayStation Exclusive Template" formula bothers some people, it's a formula that works, and more importantly, sells PlayStation hardware en mass. People like big games, and Sony delivers some of the best in the business, so continue to allow developers the unlimited budget afforded by the nature of being a platform holder. That being said...

2.) Try to green-light more niche, and smaller titles too - One of the best things about being a Platform holder, is that the budget you have from the various revenue streams (System-Selling franchises, Third Party license fees, Online Services, Hardware profits, etc.) allows you to finance and produce games that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day under most third party publishers. Even if the game has no real sales potential, it's still good to have these niche, less profitable games in order to bolster your content lineup and make your box stand out from the others. Sony recently has kind of pulled back on these types of games for the later PS4 years, and it's a bit disappointing, especially since these types of games used to be all over the PS2 and even the PS3. With the PS5, I think Sony should encourage some of their lower tier studios like PixelOpus and Japan Studio to experiment with smaller, more medium scale projects that focus on ideas rather than just set-pieces. Give them budgets bigger than an indie studio, but not as large as the ones from Sony's higher class developers like Naughty Dog or Insomniac. I want more games like Concrete Genie and Dreams, in between the AAA cinematic games.

3.) Add a bit more variety to the lineup - I said before that the "PlayStation Exclusive" formula should be kept as it's Sony's key weapon for selling systems. But that doesn't mean those are the only games that Sony should be publishing on the PS5. I'd like to see a bit more variety added to the lineup next gen, that isn't just regulated to PS VR titles. Add some RPGs, Fighting games, Arcade style games, Platformers (Bring back Jack & Daxter you bastards!), and other games.

4.) Try to revive forgoten PlayStation series - Let's be honest, each of the big three has their share of franchise graveyards in their skeleton closets. I know its not financially realistic to support every IP, but a little more effort would be nice from all of them. As for where Sony stands, they fall somewhere between Microsoft (worst) and Nintendo (best, but still far from perfect). They have a few series that lasted for more than 2 generations like GoW, Ratchet & Clank, and Gran Turismo, but there's a ton of IPs that Sony rarely supports beyond like, 3 games. Now I'm not saying you need to go on a complete reboot spree, but some love for your past would be appreciated. How about a new Ape Escape game? There's a ton of cool stuff you can do with the DualShock 5 in that game. What about Jack & Daxter? Maybe a new Ecochrome, LocoRoco, Parrappa The Rapper, Sly Cooper. Just bring back a few PlayStation series that fans really want to see return.

So that's basically what I want from Worldwide Studios next gen. Sony has done a great job with its first party lineup this gen, possibly the best its ever been. But I still think it could be even better with the PS5.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just new IP...I think I'm done with TLOU, Spiderman, Uncharted (though I haven't played 4), etc.

If I had to pick an existing IP...gimme a new...hmmm...I'll get back to you on this.

Edit: Ahhh yes...new God of War....rated R this time...son's grown...he's out there banging well endowed Goddesses on the regular...something like that.

Last edited:

Hudo

I want them to invest in the studios they already have (JAPAN STUDIO!) and encourage development of games that are not aiming to be interactive movies. Why not diversify your game lineup in terms of gameplay? Also, maybe buy a couple of studios and don't rely on third-party exclusives to fill your gaps. Conversely, every third-party dev that still does exclusives should finally get with the times and branch out to multiple platforms (Atlus, what's up?). I expect Square to push FF7R to other platforms as well (The IP is too big for one platform and Square know that).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If I remember correctly Yoko Taro is actually freelancer so just like how Miyazaki worked with Studio Japan to make Bloodborne I would love to see Yoko Taro also work with Studio Japan to make whole new IP for PS5.

G-Bus

Banned
Just new IP...I think I'm done with TLOU, Spiderman, Uncharted (though I haven't played 4), etc.

If I had to pick an existing IP...gimme a new...hmmm...I'll get back to you on this.

Edit: Ahhh yes...new God of War....rated R this time...son's grown...he's out there banging well endowed Goddesses on the regular...something like that.

Fuck yea, love me some big dick girls. That would be a great spin on those old GoW sex games. Very progressive

Hudo

If I remember correctly Yoko Taro is actually freelancer so just like how Miyazaki worked with Studio Japan to make Bloodborne I would love to see Yoko Taro also work with Studio Japan to make whole new IP for PS5.
I kinda like to see what he could do with Japan Studio... but I also kinda want to see a new Nier game, haha (which I believe Square Enix own the IP, right?)

psygn0sis

I want them to invest in the studios they already have (JAPAN STUDIO!) and encourage development of games that are not aiming to be interactive movies. Why not diversify your game lineup in terms of gameplay? Also, maybe buy a couple of studios and don't rely on third-party exclusives to fill your gaps. Conversely, every third-party dev that still does exclusives should finally get with the times and branch out to multiple platforms (Atlus, what's up?). I expect Square to push FF7R to other platforms as well (The IP is too big for one platform and Square know that).

AKA "Let's return to variety of PS1/PS2/PS3 first party lineup", I'd be really happy :D

JimiNutz

Banned
Broad strokes:

They nail the big budget story driven/cinematic single player game so I hope they continue to develop these and ensure that they are introducing new IP in this genre to keep it fresh.

I def agree about smaller/indie type games. I really hope they work with more independent developers to bring some smaller exclusive games to the platform. These smaller, shorter gameplay driven experiences compliment the bigger budget cinematic games well - especially the ones that have a big local co-op/MP component.

Keep on supporting VR. I'm a VR believer and think that Sony have done a lot of good work promoting the technology. I def want to see more of this from their first parties.

Specific franchises:

Do something with Killzone. Not necessarily Killzone 5 but rather a big large and ambitious online shooter (similar in scale to MAG or with a big vehicle component like Warhawk). I think the Killzone art style and lore is top tier and I'd like them to retain that while managing to do something slightly different with the franchise in terms of gameplay.

Reboot Syphon Filter. I think Bend have the talent to do something cool with the franchise in future and it can be an action heavy replacement for the Metal Gear franchise. The fact that Days Gone seems to take place in the same universe gives me hope. Maybe a Days Gone prequel to show how the virus was unleashed would be cool.

Jak & Daxter. I'd love to see a reboot of this but I think I'd like to see Insomniac do it rather than Naughty Dog. I really enjoyed Ratchet & Clank on PS4 but we've had a lot of Ratchet & Clank over the years so I'd like to see Insomniac try their hand at a Jak game instead.

Twisted Metal reboot with a huge online multiplayer component again. I think the franchise has a lot of potential and would love to see another.

Motorstom. Please bring this back, even if it's just remakes of 1-3. This game could be a graphical showcase on the PS5 and surpass the infamous PS3 CGI 'gameplay' trailer.

Ar¢tos

I want them to revive old IPs. A Wipeout game, with ps5 specs it can be really amazing, White Knight Chronicles, Lemmings, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, Motorstorm, Resistance, Socom, MAG.
There isn't much need to constantly create new IPs when you are sitting on a ton of forgotten great IPs.

Kagey K

Banned
I want them to revive old IPs. A Wipeout game, with ps5 specs it can be really amazing, White Knight Chronicles, Lemmings, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, Motorstorm, Resistance, Socom, MAG.
There isn't much need to constantly create new IPs when you are sitting on a ton of forgotten great IPs.
I find it weird to see Lemmings as a Sony IP because I played it so long before PlayStation was a thing. Yet it turns out they do in fact own the IP.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I find it weird to see Lemmings as a Sony IP because I played it so long before PlayStation was a thing. Yet it turns out they do in fact own the IP.
They only own it because it came with Psygnosis.
I wish they would revive Psygnosis, I have so many good memories of playing Psygnosis games in the late 80s/early 90s. Xdev it's kinda of the remains of Psygnosis, but they don't make their own games, they only support other studios.

FranXico

They only own it because it came with Psygnosis.
I wish they would revive Psygnosis, I have so many good memories of playing Psygnosis games in the late 80s/early 90s. Xdev it's kinda of the remains of Psygnosis, but they don't make their own games, they only support other studios.
They did recently bring back an old Psygnosis game (Shadow of the Beast), but they definitely are sitting on a goldmine of interesting IP.

DESTROYA

60fps and Ray tracing is very likely a big no.
60fps alone is doubtful outside of certain genres.
Yeah, RT takes a beating on performance, since it’s rumored to be hardware based I wonder if you’ll be able to t turn RT on or off like on PC games.
With the kind of power we hear that these next gen consoles are going to have 60FPS at 1080P should be doable.

Vawn

Banned
If it's anything like PS1, PS2, PS3 or PS4, it will easily have the best overall library of games (combination of exclusives and multi-plats).

Gamernyc78

Banned
I want them to keep the strategy they've had since ps3 days which has been great but revitalize the Japan Studios aspect of it bcus idk I just feel like they've fell off in tht department compared to PS3 and prior. I think thy did pretty good considering thy also had to release games for psvr and will continue to have to do so.

Diversity and innovation has never been an issue Sony has had. From top tier Sports games (MLB the show), to racers, to platformers they've had with a sprinkle of innovative games like Dream, Lbp and all those games on psvr. Now it's a diff story if those games aren't to your liking.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
More ps1, 2,3 golden days variety yes please, bring back good old forgotten IPs and Killzone V Sony! Properly rebooted and back to dark, toxic polluted good old Helghan we know and love.

It's funny I remember ppl complaining about all the green and browns in those games and not enough color. Subsequently devs listened and added the rainbow spectrum and now it's "we want the muted colors and gritty back". I agree man kz2 was phenomenol imo and those gritty, dark tones suited the story and graphics.

Gloggins

Turn based strategy games, arcade racers, bring back Syphon Filter and another collaboration with From (be it Demon's Souls 2, BB 2, new IP, whatever).

More than one Ratchet and Clank. Two games in 6 fucking years! We used to get one per year.

Fbh

For existing studios:
- New IP: Keep on bringing new IP's. Naughty Dog in particular was a disappointment this gen just focusing on sequels when in every previous gen they'd introduce a new IP

For new studios/acquisitions:
- More stuff from Japan/Asia: I think with Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and now Insomniac they have the western AAA side of things covered. So I'd love to see them invest more in their home turf, either by partnering up with Japanese devs, buying one or forming a new one. Give me more stuff like Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian or bring on a new JRPG franchise

Invest back into some high profile Japanese games. DQ11, Neir, Persona 5, Tekken 7, MGS5, Sekiro, Bloodborne, RE2, DMC5 and FF15 for the most part seemed to perform respectably well. There still seems to be a pretty sizable market on Sony consoles for these type of games. I hope they don’t ignore this market again.

ROMhack

More indie support. They haven't really been much emphasis in smaller titles since What Remains of Edith Finch was released as an exclusive.

Also something from Fumito Ueda would be nice but I'm not sure if he's making games now. Last I saw, he was promoting development of indie games with Kowloon Nights.

Last edited:
More fun-fun games, like they used to do on PS1, PS2, and PS3. We need more games like Parappa/Umjammer, Echochrome, Jumping Flash, etc. Not everything needs to be an Uncharted, TLOU or Death Stranding (as in, relying on Hollywood as a crutch).

Last edited:
I want ps1-4 backwards compatible. I might not even pick up a ps5 otherwise, opting in for either pc or xbox, ie, marketplaces I can invest in and not worry about not being able to play games from said marketplace a few years later. Fuck that wii virtual console level bullshit. Get it together, Sony.

NahaNago

I really wish they would expand the number of Japanese studios they have for jrpg and uniqe games. They also this gen should really expand the exclusive line up by promoting exclusive indies to their platform in between these big budget exclusives( that was a lot of exclusive). These indie studios could use some of Sony's older ps1 ips and Sony could first party make them themselves. More games like ratchet and clank for next gen as well. I loved what they made this gen and was really hoping they would make another but no luck. Jak and daxter remake would be awesome as well. Ghost of Tsushima is great since they are moving away from the west? I do want games set in other Asian countries. But for the start of this gen I really want to be wowed with new stuff save the nostalgia for like psx .

ANIMAL1975

It's funny I remember ppl complaining about all the green and browns in those games and not enough color. Subsequently devs listened and added the rainbow spectrum and now it's "we want the muted colors and gritty back". I agree man kz2 was phenomenol imo and those gritty, dark tones suited the story and graphics.
Don't know if those people were being honest or just warrior shiting on the game. I remember that when kz3 demo came out i loved the gameplay but was completely disappointed by the colorful shiny world,... This isn't Helghan!
And then it came out and they had destroyed my favorite multiplayer in the world... Couldn't even destroy the safety bots with the rpg in Radecs academy to respawn on the enemy nest, come on!...

Gamernyc78

Banned
Don't know if those people were being honest or just warrior shiting on the game. I remember that when kz3 demo came out i loved the gameplay but was completely disappointed by the colorful shiny world,... This isn't Helghan!
And then it came out and they had destroyed my favorite multiplayer in the world... Couldn't even destroy the safety bots with the rpg in Radecs academy to respawn on the enemy nest, come on!...

Thy were serious, shit like tht even was mentioned in game break downs from Lens of Truth and DF. But I'm with you running into one of the rooms in Radec Acd letting off rounds hearing the chirp was godly.

NahaNago

More content from Japanese studios and less cinematic games.
I don't really mind cinematic games myself, but I always wished they would just go ahead and make a movie for the game since they are making that many cut scenes anyways. The order 1886 would have been perfect for this. They just need to remember to make the movie from small adventures and not from the whole 12-60 hour long game.

Labadal

I want more platformers. Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter or a new Sly Cooper game.

More Japanese first-party games is another wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom