• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want for The Last of Us Part III? [Full Spoilers]

Would you want Naughty Dog to make The Last of Us Part III

• Yes

Votes: 61 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 111 64.5%

• Total voters

Vawn

Banned
Abby is the only character left that I like. Seeing as everyone else hates her, she likely won't get the starring role, so they might as well just kill it and do something else.

MrJTeera

I’m quite fascinated by the Seraphites. Their formation, their tribalism ideology, and the way the elders can rewritten the narrative to manipulate younger generations, like Lev and Yara, to be so devouted despite all their cruelty.

With Isaac dead and the WLF forces scattered, the Scars seems to prevail in the battle of Seattle. I kinda wanna see where they go from there and how the faction evolved as a villain.

Maybe they’ll turn this victory into some kind of a divine retribution and rally more people into their cult and slowly become a more formidable threat as their teachings reach across the country... until arriving at Jackson County, Wyoming.

Or perhaps Lev could be involved. The cult turns Yara into a martyr for slaying the leader of the menacing Wolves. The second Saint after the Prophet. The battle happened so fast within a night. Who’s to say what actually happened.

As they twist and bend the truth to further their causes, Lev couldn’t stand it anymore and teams up with Abby and some Firefly buddies to stop the cult from becoming a bloated colossus.

Matsuchezz

For me the story is done, Naughty Dog could certainly go ahead and create a 3rd installment, but there is no point to it, i think it would drag the story like The Walking Dead did. Joel is dead, and Ellie will probably try to be happy and form a family and that is it,. Another faction could attack the group she is with and it would start another "war". If anything a DLC where the Infection started would be something I would like to see, anything else... No thanks. They better start another IP, that is more exciting IMHO.

I loved Part II, just finished my second playthrough, I will probably replay down the road, but for now it is time to clear my backlog, before PS5 arrives.

Last edited:
Haven’t played the 2nd one yet but have seen enough spoilers to know this wasn’t the experience I was hoping for (really enjoyed the first game).
I’d be more inclined to just sit back and enjoy the multiplayer aspect being brought back since I was in the group that enjoyed the play style.
Part 3 doesn’t seem necessary but money talks in the gaming scene...

sn0man

The problem I see is that you turn into a zombie pretty fast after being bitten. Abby wouldn't have any possibility of saving Lev, it's impossible for her to find Ellie, convince her, bring her to the fireflies and develop a cure before Lev transforms.
I think they exercised restraint as far as not inventing 100 new toys with the lore of the world in part2 so I understand the concern with this drawn-out Lev dying infected idea.

I do think that the story could use a reason to redeem Ellie. She’s left broken and deserves something more than what she has

Last of Us Part 3 should deal with adult Ellie. I'm hoping for darker settings so maybe somewhere that used to be population dense with landmarks like New York and DC.

The infected in New York are probably at John Carpenter's The Thing levels of mutation so there are opportunities to reveal new infected enemies. Adding the military as one if the factions would also help introduce new human enemies.

Since this is Ellie's story I'd rather a new companion so someone like Ish could do if he's still around being a badass.
I would really enjoy the idea of DC or even Roswell. They could play with the idea that there is still the barest of a skeleton of the USA still in existence but the government has decided to only defend 2 or 3 sites around the country as they are resource strapped. Could tease the fireflies and Abby and a cure from it but only after showing badass hardened Ellie working through finding purpose

If we have seraphites using sky scrapers as secret routes....how about sewer people, i want sewer people that uses infected as traps and stuff and eats rats meat.
A very cool idea. Dunno how it would play with a fungus or something though.

Play as young hopeful Joel with Sarah then after Sarah dies he becomes empty and evil.

Play as Ellie being empty turning hopeful and happy.

This is maybe a fun thing but I wonder if it feels like a DLC more than a part of the core story. I’m not saying they couldn’t do it but maybe it would be better to leave Joel be. There were a few threads of a beginning of acceptance between Joel and Ellie. Obviously Ellie was robbed of the closure and fully healing with Joel but their relationship seemed on the way to the better.

I could see some fun stuff about playing as maybe Tommy or as Tess or Bill. What I would like to see is learning how a large part of the fireflies are just as fucked up as all the other groups. Give more around how Joel grew so disenfranchised with organized larger groups. Though Sarah gives Joel all he needs to be disenfranchised of organizations and their bullshit.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

IF they keep it at a trilogy: the most diverse duo in gaming goes on to find the reformed Fireflies, they inform them that Ellie is alive.
Fireflies led by Abbie begin hunting Ellie and try the whole cure thing again. Ellie is ready to sacrifice herself this time but some plot device subverts it till the finale 🤷‍♂️

Kadayi

Banned
tenor.gif

I could see some fun stuff about playing as maybe Tommy or as Tess or Bill. What I would like to see is learning how a large part of the fireflies are just as fucked up as all the other groups. Give more around how Joel grew so disenfranchised with organized larger groups. Though Sarah gives Joel all he needs to be disenfranchised of organizations and their bullshit.

I think playing as Joel & Tommy when he was a hunter would be cool. Tommy struggling with survival because of his humanity, while Joel does whatever to protect his brother. Takes no risks, kills anyone in his way that isnt a 13 year old girl. And maybe dealing with drug abuse from all those pill upgrades. His part ending with this scene.
tosucTb.jpg

Then we play as Ellie. Who ends up caring more about the cure, her role in the world more than Dina. Because sometimes things simply dont work out as much as you want them to. Especially in relationships. Dina doesnt take her back. Lost, she goes out to find any family she might have. 15 year skip, she has a son. They dont tell you how. FU, buy TLoU4. The end.
richard-lyons-the-last-of-us-postertemplate-160601.jpg

Last edited:

MrJTeera

I think playing as Joel & Tommy when he was a hunter would be cool.

They should've made Abby a victim of Joel during his tenure as a hunter, like having her family being robbed and murdered by him.

The Firefly doctors killing is equally monstrous, but it’s something that the player expected and accepted already throughout the first game.

Had they showed Joel in an unfamiliar and unseen phase of his life, the revelations of his past atrocity would be more alienating from the Joel we’ve come to know, and we would probably be more invested in Abby.

Arun1910

I was thinking about this last night and seeing Tommy and Joel RIGHT after Sarah's death would be very interesting imo.

You would get to see how Joel copes straight away, how they got out of their Hometown. Their first run in with Fireflies, how Tommy and Joel eventually fell out and parted ways.

Could possibly give us some more Tess too.

I think it would be great, you would still get the 2 character dynamic that ND love for these games and who better to choose than the brothers Miller.

Jon Neu

Banned
We know how Joel’s story ends and we know the most important parts. Making a prequel of him in the past without Ellie it’s just not that interesting.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Play as the son of a scar that Abby killed. Track her down early in the game and kill her with a 2x4. Play 12 hours of Lev tracking the son down, then 10 hours of getting to know the son.

sn0man

We know how Joel’s story ends and we know the most important parts. Making a prequel of him in the past without Ellie it’s just not that interesting.

Honestly I agree with you. I’m mostly interested in how Tommy and Joel part ways. The big issue with the prequel isn’t how it would or wouldn’t give good gameplay. My biggest problem is that we have seen the most redeeming sides of Joel and it’s still some grey areaI like Joel but he chose 1 little girl versus a chance at the cure. I chose Joel and Ellie by playing TLOU and TLOUII. I am sad for both of them but by choosing them I’ve also turned my back on sacrificing lives to find a cure.. I don’t know that there is more good parts we can learn from Joel.

The only thing — and it would have to be done carefully — is show how Joel took care of Tommy but that feels at best like a couple well crafted episodic DLCs and not the main game.TLOU gives us enough back story and with his daughter dead and wife wasn’t in the picture ... wait a minute. Maybe maybe they could make a contrived story about Sarah’s mom and how Joel wants to get to her to let her know about Sarah but I just don’t buy it.

Yeah, what made the last of us special was the Joel and Ellie dynamic. But Naughty Dog took the easy way out and killed the character as they did because they ran out of ideas for them and couldn't do a new game without them. Props for the attempt to make the audience like Abby, but nope, that was a failure. And it is clear that Abby is set to be the next protagonist, but considering half the audience hate her guts... that would not go over well.

sn0man

Yeah, what made the last of us special was the Joel and Ellie dynamic. But Naughty Dog took the easy way out and killed the character as they did because they ran out of ideas for them and couldn't do a new game without them. Props for the attempt to make the audience like Abby, but nope, that was a failure. And it is clear that Abby is set to be the next protagonist, but considering half the audience hate her guts... that would not go over well.

I hate her but she’s on a path I can understand. It was the path I was on as Joel for the entire TLOU until he kills that surgeon and takes Ellie. My first play through I was mad with Joel. I obviously understood but I was mad at him. Only with time did I begin to really cherish the two of them and there were some lovely flashbacks in part II between them.

Abby could be the protagonist. I could see it. Though to me TLOU was always about Ellie and so if part III isn’t played as her she should be the McMuffin that they have to locate.

I still like DC and finding out there is a shadow government or maybe Chicago or Dallas and find a fairly peaceful settlement. Think Boston but even more tamped down as far as the virus and so the people are more relaxed and normal like Jackson but on a larger scale. Then you could do missions from that central city like delivering packed through hordes of infected.

I hate her but she’s on a path I can understand. It was the path I was on as Joel for the entire TLOU until he kills that surgeon and takes Ellie. My first play through I was mad with Joel. I obviously understood but I was mad at him. Only with time did I begin to really cherish the two of them and there were some lovely flashbacks in part II between them.

Abby could be the protagonist. I could see it. Though to me TLOU was always about Ellie and so if part III isn’t played as her she should be the McMuffin that they have to locate.

I still like DC and finding out there is a shadow government or maybe Chicago or Dallas and find a fairly peaceful settlement. Think Boston but even more tamped down as far as the virus and so the people are more relaxed and normal like Jackson but on a larger scale. Then you could do missions from that central city like delivering packed through hordes of infected.

Why would killing an attempted murderer make you angry with Joel? Ellie being angry at Joel makes perfect sense, she is traumatized by the state of the world, she has survivor's guilt, and she thinks that she needs to provide a cure for her life to matter. Joel killing a fanatic doctor who decides to saw open a girl's skull for the sweet fungal candy inside after studying her for less than a day, not asking for her consent, and not even having the common decency to let her know and make her peace with it?

Yeah, his death was such a loss to the world.

Keihart

Nah, Ellie has been built to be the protagonist since the first one. You have your origins story and now the coming of age story, it's only missing Ellie's hero's journey.
She is setup to be one in the next game, but there are several ways they can take it, the pieces are there tho.

Nah, Ellie has been built to be the protagonist since the first one. You have your origins story and now the coming of age story, it's only missing Ellie's hero's journey.
She is setup to be one in the next game, but there are several ways they can take it, the pieces are there tho.

Honestly, I do worry about what will come next. Mainly because almost always when there is a very divisive second part of series, the next part tries to make both camps happy, and fails pretty spectacularly. I mean the problem is I just don't much care after the end of the second game. TLoU2 wasn't so much of a journey as a series of pit stops, and that is a shame considering the talent on board. Honestly the third game will need a producer who can rein in the excesses of the second game and actually not be so indulgent in its level design. I think as time goes on we are going to see the level of development hell that really went on with TLoU2. It is very clear that this isn't close to the game they wanted to make when they first designed it.

Keihart

Honestly, I do worry about what will come next. Mainly because almost always when there is a very divisive second part of series, the next part tries to make both camps happy, and fails pretty spectacularly. I mean the problem is I just don't much care after the end of the second game. TLoU2 wasn't so much of a journey as a series of pit stops, and that is a shame considering the talent on board. Honestly the third game will need a producer who can rein in the excesses of the second game and actually not be so indulgent in its level design. I think as time goes on we are going to see the level of development hell that really went on with TLoU2. It is very clear that this isn't close to the game they wanted to make when they first designed it.
I read somewhere that they intended to have a hub at some point, which makes a hell lot of sense with how the Seattle theater it's established as a base of operations.
I personally think that the game was a success even more so considering how ambitious it is in every aspect.
I hope that part 3 it's in a hub world as they originally wanted, i think it can work, they know how to blend their story telling in this organic way when you are exploring without making it as robotic and disjointed as most sandbox games. The wide linear approach works very well for them and can lend itself to tells stories that involve a lot of travelling and character building.

The weakest part of combat for me is stealth, they really need to shove in there a couple more mechanics, maybe shadows like splintercell, decoy sounds, etc.
They really seem to like the MGS games, so i think it's just a matter of time before the integrate similar things to the systems.

I read somewhere that they intended to have a hub at some point, which makes a hell lot of sense with how the Seattle theater it's established as a base of operations.
I personally think that the game was a success even more so considering how ambitious it is in every aspect.
I hope that part 3 it's in a hub world as they originally wanted, i think it can work, they know how to blend their story telling in this organic way when you are exploring without making it as robotic and disjointed as most sandbox games. The wide linear approach works very well for them and can lend itself to tells stories that involve a lot of travelling and character building.

The weakest part of combat for me is stealth, they really need to shove in there a couple more mechanics, maybe shadows like splintercell, decoy sounds, etc.
They really seem to like the MGS games, so i think it's just a matter of time before the integrate similar things to the systems.

I think the game would have been stronger if they took about two thirds of the time spent on Seattle and put one third of it into Jackson and another third into Santa Barbara. I was bored out of my mind by the end of Ellie day 3, and there were three more days after that.

Part 3 will defy expectations by utelizing the PS5's revolutionary 3D sound output. You play as a clicker who has been wrongly maligned by the humans. You must murder the humans using only the 3D sound. There are no graphics as you are blind. This will also be playable on day 1 with PSVR2.

yurinka

Yes, I want TLOU3 focused on Joel and Ellie (forget Abby) and I want Uncharted 5 with Nate and the girls.
I want it only to ensure Abby gets killed brutally.
That would be nice and would fit very well.

The question is "you guys want to play part 3 as the new protagonist Abby" more than anything OP.
I don't want Abby to be the main character. I'd prefer to don't include her in TLOU3.

They can do many things. Some of the best TLOU2 parts are the flashbacks with Joel and Ellie. They can make Part 3 about healing and forgiveness, with pretty much all the game being Tommy and Ellie remembering good and bad moments with him. They can create a good epic story for Tommy and make him a playable character in some portions where he remembers his past as hunter with Joel. And I don't know, maybe the can end with the cure, or explore the origins of the disease, and who knows if maybe linked to Ellie's mother to explain why she is the only one inmune.

Maybe Ellie's mother already had a vaccine and put it to her. So Ellie and Tommy may track back to find more clues about it.

Last edited:

Fbh

TLOU 2 completely killed my interest in the franchise.
It's a generic zombie apocalypse world with very little to it that makes it unique or original. Ellie and Joel are what made TLOU, the story wasn't as much about the apocalypse itself as it was about these 2 characters.

Now that Joel is dead and they've made Ellie pretty unlikable there is nothing else I care about in this IP and I'd rather have them work on something new. The only thing about a possible TLOU3 I'd find exciting is the possibility that it keeps Druckmann occupied so hopefully someone else can take the lead if they decide to make a new IP.

Dacon

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen.
i present to you
The last of us Part II ... The other side.

You will control at a parallel time in the elapsed events of the second game with Joel, who has somehow survived the encounter with Abby, and now he is the controllable character !!!!

Not only that, Joel in his thirst for "Vengeance" will face Abby in the ultimate duel of death.

I raise the game with Joel's face on its cover and everyone screams .. YEEEEEEIIIIIIII !!!!!

TLOU2 playing as Zombie Joel out for vengeance would be a million times more interesting than the plot they went with.

I don't want a TLOU3. Hell I don't even want an Uncharted 5 after what Naughty Dog has done.

Hudo

I'd love to see a game set in the Crusades where you play a Knight of the Templar order, have combat be melee-focused. And don't let Druckmann write/direct it. I want it to be historically accurate.

farmerboy

Having just finished my 33 and a half hour playthrough, I can't in all honesty say I feel like more.

In time though, I will. Keep it in the TLOU world and lore, but Ellie's story is done.

Hardcore mode should include a predestined finite amount of lives, based on a random role of the dice. Imagine random clicker number 32 killing you in some dingy toilet and thats your story.

Silent Duck

The last of Us - Episode III: The Rise of Miller

Story conclusion: Abby punches every enemy into submission and retires in the desert while calling herself Abby "Miller" at the end.

Gameplay: The same as before... surviving ally AI that keeps getting in the way, dog QTEs, and clickers that can see where you are when you set one on fire (even though they are in other rooms and you are completely still).

10\10

GymWolf

let me kill stuff for 40 hours with nextgen gore, death animations, finishers etc and i'm super happy with that.

no ellie please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom