• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want for The Last of Us Part III? [Full Spoilers]

Would you want Naughty Dog to make The Last of Us Part III

• Yes

Votes: 61 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 111 64.5%

• Total voters

Jon Neu

Banned
idk, it's a plot device. didn't give it too much thought. who's to say it doesn't slow the infection down by months? it's all fiction after all.

I don't know, sounds too convenient.

I love the Tommy part though. Would Love for him to secretly hunting Abby under the radar without the Player even noticing it and then come out of nowhere and finally killing her at the end.

RCU005

It'd be interesting if Lev and Abby joined the Fireflies. Since the Fireflies know Abby's dad and chapter were working on a cure in Salt Lake, Abby could play a role in recovering data files, equipment, and talent in order to progress a cure. This can be more interesting in a couple ways: Abby knows a cure requires someone with immunity, like Ellie, but she is hesitant to seek her out or reveal to the Fireflies that she exists due to the pair's complicated history. For plot sake, lets say she keeps this information hidden, but her and Lev are able to help progress the cure by creating a vaccine that slows the rate of infection.

Here's where it gets interesting: Lev gets bit on an equipment supply run and the Fireflies inject him to slow the infection. Abby and co. are dismayed, as they know it's just a matter of time until he turns. So, out of desperation, Abby reveals the existence of Ellie and takes it upon herself to find her in order to produce a cure.

Now, picking up Ellie's story after Part II, who has forgiven Joel and understood Abby (but not fully forgiven), we find her back in Jackson as somewhat of a social outcast. Tommy is upset that she didn't commit to revenge against Abby once he inquires about the outcome of her trip to Santa Barbra. Maria is upset that Ellie let revenge consume herself and Tommy. And Dina still has love for Ellie, but she cannot forgive her for abandoning her and JJ. Ellie quickly comes to realize that while she has come to peace with a lot of things, there is no place for her in Jackson. Who wants to be the pariah of a small, isolated community? So Ellie wants to reclaim her image and become a beacon of hope for desperate people. She wants to make her life mean something instead of living the passive existence gifted to her by Joel. So she sets out to explore the country and try to do some good.

Picking back up with Abby, she arrives at Jackson and scopes out the place trying to see if Ellie is there. She enters the community in disguise and finds out that Ellie is no longer there. While she is there Tommy recognizes her and she flees Jackson in a hurry.

Picking back up with Ellie, she keeps running into communities but finds herself still an outcast. No one accepting her, having no purpose. She just continues looking for a hint of where she can fit in. Essentially, she travels all up and down the West Coast but no luck.

Pan back to Abby, she is being hunted by Tommy and some friends while picking up Ellie's scant trail. After a bit of being hunted she finds Ellie in Boston, visiting the mall in which Riley and her were bitten. She turns around and she see Abby, and she is filled with a mix of anger and embarrassment. She lashes out and demands to know why she is here. Then Abby makes her case: She tells Ellie that she wanted to avoid her, but she needs her help. She talks about Lev's situation, but she is still unwilling to help. Abby then mentions that Ellie's sacrifice could save humanity. Ellie doesn't answer, but then they are attacked by a bunch of infected and Abby saves her life. Ellie then agrees to back to the Fireflies and finish what she and Joel had started in Part 1. She still holds animosity for Abby but agrees to travel back with her because she wants meaning and recognizes this is the opportunity she was looking for.

Making their way across the country, the pair grow beyond understanding and to some degree forgive one another. They still aren't best of friends; it's a cold relationship. Eventually, Tommy catches up with the pair and takes his revenge on Abby. Ellie is a bit distraught and doesn't know what to do. She curses Tommy and decides to complete the mission to save Lev herself, fully forgiving Abby and realizing that this cycle of violence has to stop.

In the end, Ellie meets up with the Fireflies and she gives her life to make a cure. Returning meaning to her life and making it all mean something.

That's what I came up with really quick.

Send this to Naugthy Dog ASAP! I think you have the first draft of Part 3 right here, and it’s awesome! It’s somewhat what I had in my mind when writing this thread, but you developed it so well.

To me, what you wrote is Part 3. Other than this, would really confuse me. I really don’t see the story going other than this.

Honestly, send a tweet to Neil with this! You nailed it!

Strategize

I think the jumping off point is pretty obvious. Abby and Lev have found the Fireflies, the Fireflies want the cure, Abby knows Ellie is still out there. Question is how do you turn that into another intense, harrowing story.

Also part of me thinks Part 3 is gonna be much more open world. They wanted to do it with 2, but decided not to. I dunno how they'd do it though, Red Dead 2 is the gold standard for "grounded" storytelling in open worlds and Naughty Dog doesn't like being 2nd place, but not even they have Rockstars resources.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Last of Us Part 3 should deal with adult Ellie. I'm hoping for darker settings so maybe somewhere that used to be population dense with landmarks like New York and DC.

The infected in New York are probably at John Carpenter's The Thing levels of mutation so there are opportunities to reveal new infected enemies. Adding the military as one if the factions would also help introduce new human enemies.

Since this is Ellie's story I'd rather a new companion so someone like Ish could do if he's still around being a badass.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The question is "you guys want to play part 3 as the new protagonist Abby" more than anything OP.

Keihart

I think the jumping off point is pretty obvious. Abby and Lev have found the Fireflies, the Fireflies want the cure, Abby knows Ellie is still out there. Question is how do you turn that into another intense, harrowing story.

Also part of me thinks Part 3 is gonna be much more open world. They wanted to do it with 2, but decided not to. I dunno how they'd do it though, Red Dead 2 is the gold standard for "grounded" storytelling in open worlds and Naughty Dog doesn't like being 2nd place, but not even they have Rockstars resources.
This so much, everything has already been setup pretty nicely for a sequel.
I don't think Ellie would be giving her life willingly now tho.
And i agree with the problem being how to make another intense, harrowing story.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
qp9cy6my4v551.jpg

Dream scenario: Bill's story.

A Tommy and Joel prequel could be interesting. I have no interest in the future adventures of Abby/Lev and little interest in seeing more of Ellie.

A new cast could be interesting too.
I know I said new cast and new characters. But I would so be down for a Bill story. I really wish he was in Part 2 and was hoping he'd be mentioned at least. Bill was one of the best written and acted characters from Part 1.

Bill and Ish Excellent Adventures!

Bartski

Gold Member
Honestly, anything smaller like Lost Legacy so we don't have to wait 7 years for it.

So much of potential for prequel stories, the outbreak day, Joel and Tommy hunter days feat. Bill...

Seraphites felt underdeveloped probably due to cut content and exploring the origin of the cult (rituals, the messiah, "Martyr's Gate" etc) would be awesome.

Different characters, different perspectives on events from Parts 1 and 2.

I'm sure we'll be getting Factions 2 and a PS5 HD version first with all the manpower behind it.

Last edited:
There is room for a prequel with Joel before meeting Ellie. There is also room for Ellie's story arc to finish - the potential cure solution with the surviving fireflies.

j0hnnix

A full 3 hours of Tommy searching for his balls and finally discovering them again. Maybe a tlou2 dlc or intro for tlou3.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
There's nothing I am really interested in knowing anymore about that world.... honestly.

I enjoyed the last game but the story was weak, they could have added depth to the world and added to Ellies story but I felt they made everything less interesting. Her immunity and the way that story was handled amounted to nothing....

The virus wasn't built on really either.

Last edited:
First of all, I am going to begin contradicting my post saying that I wouldn't want a Part 3. I think TLOU is Joel en Ellie's story, and they are both done. However, we all know that money talks, and seeing hoy Part 2 broke every sales record for SIE, they could "force" Naughty Dog to make a sequel.

With that said, I think I only want two things to happen:

1) I would like Abby and Lev to return.
It could be logical that the story would follow both as they reach the firefly post. I think they are the parallel of Joel and Ellie dynamic.

2) Ellie to give her life for a cure.
In Part 2, Ellie lost everything. I've read that many people have considered that she just got back to Jackson. However, I think it would be difficult to go back since she had a problem with Tommy and also Dina. I know they said Abby's dad was the only one who could make a vaccine, but maybe they just find someone else.

Ellie would finally get her wish to save the world (probably not successfully since all the implications that a vaccine can cause), but since she doesn't have anything to lose anymore, she would give her life for a greater cause.

Those are the only things that occurs to me right now about a sequel, hence I don't want one.

I wouldn't want Ellie to be redeemed, because she deserved to lose everything. The game ended in a very bad note for her, but she got herself in that situation because she didn't know how to quit. Had she stayed with Dina, she would've made a great life for her.

Many people dislike Abby, but she is far from being the bad guy. Everyone is a bad guy in somebody's eyes. However, she knew avenging her dad didn't accomplish anything for her, so she tried to move one (which Ellie couldn't). Both were unsuccessful at their own revenge, and both paid a very high price for it.

Playing as her and/or Lev in the next game, could be interesting in a way to see their relationship develop.

I don't really know where the story should go from here. The game can diverge to different people in the same world, but it would feel like spin offs. So other than trying to find a doctore to develop a vaccine, and somehow get to convince Ellie to give up her life to do it, I can't think of what else they can do with this franchise.

So what would you want for Part 3? Do you want Ellie redeemed? Do you want Abby to return? Do you want Ellie to actually get to kill Abby for good? Please tell.

what? Ellie didn’t kill Abby, Abby tortured and killed Joel I’m highly confused

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Bring back Bruce Straley. Druckmann has talent, but his ego is through the fucking roof. I feel like Bruce kept him in check
Straley managed the "game" development of TLOU and Uncharted 4 while Neil developed the story and did the mocap (as I'm sure you're aware). Why would you want him back when the gameplay in TLOU2 is lightyears ahead of anything we've had from ND before? It's Evan Wells' job to keep Neil in line. Margenau and Newman did phenomenal work on TLOU2 and I hope they're given more opportunities to direct.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting if Lev and Abby joined the Fireflies. Since the Fireflies know Abby's dad and chapter were working on a cure in Salt Lake, Abby could play a role in recovering data files, equipment, and talent in order to progress a cure. This can be more interesting in a couple ways: Abby knows a cure requires someone with immunity, like Ellie, but she is hesitant to seek her out or reveal to the Fireflies that she exists due to the pair's complicated history. For plot sake, lets say she keeps this information hidden, but her and Lev are able to help progress the cure by creating a vaccine that slows the rate of infection.

Here's where it gets interesting: Lev gets bit on an equipment supply run and the Fireflies inject him to slow the infection. Abby and co. are dismayed, as they know it's just a matter of time until he turns. So, out of desperation, Abby reveals the existence of Ellie and takes it upon herself to find her in order to produce a cure.

Now, picking up Ellie's story after Part II, who has forgiven Joel and understood Abby (but not fully forgiven), we find her back in Jackson as somewhat of a social outcast. Tommy is upset that she didn't commit to revenge against Abby once he inquires about the outcome of her trip to Santa Barbra. Maria is upset that Ellie let revenge consume herself and Tommy. And Dina still has love for Ellie, but she cannot forgive her for abandoning her and JJ. Ellie quickly comes to realize that while she has come to peace with a lot of things, there is no place for her in Jackson. Who wants to be the pariah of a small, isolated community? So Ellie wants to reclaim her image and become a beacon of hope for desperate people. She wants to make her life mean something instead of living the passive existence gifted to her by Joel. So she sets out to explore the country and try to do some good.

Picking back up with Abby, she arrives at Jackson and scopes out the place trying to see if Ellie is there. She enters the community in disguise and finds out that Ellie is no longer there. While she is there Tommy recognizes her and she flees Jackson in a hurry.

Picking back up with Ellie, she keeps running into communities but finds herself still an outcast. No one accepting her, having no purpose. She just continues looking for a hint of where she can fit in. Essentially, she travels all up and down the West Coast but no luck.

Pan back to Abby, she is being hunted by Tommy and some friends while picking up Ellie's scant trail. After a bit of being hunted she finds Ellie in Boston, visiting the mall in which Riley and her were bitten. She turns around and she see Abby, and she is filled with a mix of anger and embarrassment. She lashes out and demands to know why she is here. Then Abby makes her case: She tells Ellie that she wanted to avoid her, but she needs her help. She talks about Lev's situation, but she is still unwilling to help. Abby then mentions that Ellie's sacrifice could save humanity. Ellie doesn't answer, but then they are attacked by a bunch of infected and Abby saves her life. Ellie then agrees to back to the Fireflies and finish what she and Joel had started in Part 1. She still holds animosity for Abby but agrees to travel back with her because she wants meaning and recognizes this is the opportunity she was looking for.

Making their way across the country, the pair grow beyond understanding and to some degree forgive one another. They still aren't best of friends; it's a cold relationship. Eventually, Tommy catches up with the pair and takes his revenge on Abby. Ellie is a bit distraught and doesn't know what to do. She curses Tommy and decides to complete the mission to save Lev herself, fully forgiving Abby and realizing that this cycle of violence has to stop.

In the end, Ellie meets up with the Fireflies and she gives her life to make a cure. Returning meaning to her life and making it all mean something.

That's what I came up with really quick.
Isn’t breaking the cycle of violence what part 2 is about?

Thaedolus

I like the idea of a prequel that explores the rough shit people got up to before establishing new settlement/etc. The stuff Joel did to survive...the flashback sequences were some of my favorite parts of TLOU2. I don’t expect Joel’s backstory to be so sweet, but that’s fine by me

Here’s a hack idea have fuckin Abby or Lev get bitten - find out that one of them is also immune (bc u gotta be bit to find out right) then have Abby struggle to sacrifice Lev and due to the bond they have and then..: wait no, have Abby be immune and then freak out about the fact that she actually coulda taken Ellie’s place and all that bullshit she did was fucked up. Then have her eventually face Ellie again (we’ll find a way)!and they kill each other at the same time preventing a cure from ever reaching humanity and humanity is taken over completely by the virus till we are totally extinct.

Last edited:
Send this to Naugthy Dog ASAP! I think you have the first draft of Part 3 right here, and it’s awesome! It’s somewhat what I had in my mind when writing this thread, but you developed it so well.

To me, what you wrote is Part 3. Other than this, would really confuse me. I really don’t see the story going other than this.

Thanks! It’s very barebones, and I think Part III will incorporate bits of this anyways given the emphasis of Ellie wanting her life to have meaning, Ellie feeling like Joel robbed her of her destiny, and Abby trying to reunite with the Fireflies.

Plus, the arc being redemptive would only make sense if this is to be a trilogy centered around Ellie.

Last edited:

Keihart

If we have seraphites using sky scrapers as secret routes....how about sewer people, i want sewer people that uses infected as traps and stuff and eats rats meat.

Last edited:

RCU005

Neil Druckmann to not be involved in the story and the SJW stuff to be omitted.

What SJW stuff was in the game? Honest question.

I didn't think about that when playing the game since I was very tense with encounters, and fascinated by the graphics and animations, and enjoying the story.

I was agains Neil Druckmann before TLOUS 2 released, but having played the game, he deserves to be named one of the biggest creators of the industry.

Ozzie666

Ellie wakes up and it was all a dream? pick up from the end of the first game. Ellie's younger and trying to avoid becoming what she did in #2. On a serious note, Abby rebuilding herself to normal health and the fire flies. I wouldn't mind the existence of another immune person or someone like Ellie.

Whatever it is, it will most likely tie into the TV Show and use some it's characters? Wouldn't surprise me.

The only way Ellie becomes interesting, is to save the world, willingly. Maybe she survives whatever the procedure is, but at great cost. Who also knows what the social climate will be in 7 years. I would actually like to see a new Abby and Ellie working together in an uneasy alliance.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
A retcon or a prequel. I honestly don't care about Abby and Lev after platinuming it and they did the impossible and made me not care about Ellie anymore. Killing Ellie and making a cure with the new Fireflies would be the most annoying and cliche ending ever at this point. The second game should have kept the flashbacks the same and had it be a journey about Ellie forgiving Joel. And I thought of that after finishing the second game

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

Ugh puke I don't want part 2 and 3 to be a roundabout back to the end of part 1 and basically spit on Joel's final decision in part one.

Psykodad

Banned
No, they should move on and start a nea franchise.
Certainly hope it isn't a new Uncharted.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
i want Ellie to get the closure and happy ending she is seeking.. She went through alot in last of us 2. Maybe she can provide a cure to humanity .

A.Romero

I'd like a prequel. Different characters, maybe an anthology format.

I think the outbreak could be pretty interesting and new tech could bring us amazing set pieces with hundreds of infected.

Imagine the perspective of a nurse, a soldier, a family of regular civilians... Some of them might die at the end of their chapter.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't like the idea of telling developers what they should do or shouldn't do, they can do whatever they want and I'm either going to like it or not.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Since Ellie is a lesbian, I want her and Abby to engage in cathartic sex that makes Abby question her sexuality and makes Ellie question herself for no longer hating Abby.

Roufianos

I genuinely have no interest. I hope ND do something else.

Hope they cut the walking simulator crap in whatever they do next. U4 and TLOU2 were crazy boring at times.

gow3isben

I want it only to ensure Abby gets killed brutally. Heck make Lev the MC I don’t care. Cuckman probably has a poster of Abby in his bathroom though, he’ll never kill her off.

Top Bottom