• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think Microsoft needs to do to become successful?

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm curious about what your opinions are.

For me, I think it is strong IPs.
Microsoft seems to be buying up studios left and right, continuing to use existing IPs as already they have established franchises.
But the problem is continuity and growth.

Microsoft continued the Halo franchise after Bungie was done with it and The Coalition continued the Gears series.
The problem is the core game.
Halo 5 sucked, the story was a mess, and it was during a time when Xbox gave success to PS with the Xbox One announcement disaster.
Halo Infinite is a regression to what fans want and expect out of Halo and focused on monetization first.
We saw how that ended up and it reminds me of the failure of Evolve where they put the cart in front of the horse.
Gears 5 is meh and lacks the impact of the previous titles.

To circumvent this I think Microsoft needs to pull a Marvel Studios and grow its IPs.
I mean create a new fundamental IP and grow its potential.
Create games, not on the focus of monetization but creating a franchise, I'm talking about creating catching lightning in-a-bottle scenario and doing it often.
Create a solid foundation in which it can branch out to other things and finally interweave it.

Microsoft seems to have forgotten about the Banjo Kazooie franchise, which has so much potential for the 90s kids.
That potential is left out altogether.

Nintendo is strong with its diverse IPs, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid, Splatoon, Pokemon, etc.
Each IP is focused on a particular and specific genre and they focus on mastering that genre with its IP.
I feel that Xbox can do the same.
When people associate with Xbox there is often the Halo, Gears, and Forza.
Halo = First Person Shooter.
Gears = Third-Person Shooter.
Forza = Racing.

Banjo Kazooie can have the 3D Platformer Adventure Return.
Also if Microsoft bought SEGA there could be potential with it an ensemble of characters and gameplay variety in a Marvel Avengers or Gotham Knights approach, but done properly.

Microsoft also needs to fix the scheduling of these games where it is like Nintendo to have first-party releases often. And that one giganctic game launch that sells in pertuality long after its release like Skyrim, GTA V, etc where its release is GOTY material and talked and ported long after its launch.
Microsoft needs variety. in its genres especially and seems to be relying too much of third party studios to achieve this but they aren't as successful as they feel AA rather than AAA material compared to Sony.
People want to make use of their expensive OLED TVs and home theatre setups.

What game is there available for Xbox that makes full potential and use of the console to its absolute limit and is that game fun to play.
I remember Halo 3 and Reach being that game for the Xbox 360. There was a community for it and the random stranger talk before the match started was the best. Long have those gaming memories have passed and my social gaming has become quite quiet and isolated to be honest.

TL;DR:
Xbox needs stronger IPs that focus on specific genres.
Xbox needs more iconic mascots to represent such genres. Bring back Banjo Kazooie to its glory.
Xbox needs better video game scheduling releases.
Xbox needs to release games that are GOTY material.
Xbox needs better production value games that highlight the potential of the Xbox rather than rely on third parties for that because that is also available on PS.
Xbox needs characters that you can make an emotional and deep connection to in a trailer (Like Zelda crying in that BOTW trailer, or that emotion that you felt when you were watching CyberPunk EdgeRunners Netflix show). People respond to such strong characters and make them an IP done correctly. No current Xbox character has done that for me. I don't have any emotional connection with these characters and they feel more like puppet avatars than characters that I can relate to. PS has the Joel and Ellie relationship in the Last of Us. PS has Spider-man that evokes and carries on those memories of the Spider-Man movies that trigger that reminder.
Xbox needs experiences that they can find only on Xbox and PC. Xbox does backwards compatibility excellent, Xbox does accessibility better than others, Xbox has cross-save better than others, etc.

feynoob

Banned
For forum people to shut up, and accept the fact that you need time and studios to have stable consistent content over the year.

MS is trying to fix, what they should have done long time ago. And it won't go full affect, until 2024. 2023 we would get some games. But 2024 is when their studio's would truly start firing content.

Until then, we won't get stable content.

Kacho

Gold Member
Good games will silence most critics. Simple as.

Personally I would love to see them do more to make their console feel important again. It often feels like an afterthought in their marketing and PR which is a shame because I love their hardware and features.

They killed their most awesome feature, the BC program, which included enhancements for old games. I miss being excited for new announcements since they would reinvigorate my enthusiasm to play on Xbox. Now it’s all Game Pass Game Pass Game Pass + xCloud… yawn.

Tiamat2san

A more constant release of good games.
Some are great (forza, gears, outer worlds )
Some not so much (looking at you halo 5 and infinite)
And they need some single player games like sony (more narrative driven)

So games, games, games!

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm not sure they can be successful. They are one of the biggest companies in the world. They have access to the best technology. They have bought up a ton of successful developers. They own one of the biggest computer OSes I'm the world. And yet they can't seem to crack this particular nut.

You can blame it on management but what I think it comes down to they are a company that focuses more on enabling productiveness rather than creativeness.

reinking

Gold Member
Being cool doesn't sell games. You know what does? Having games. They need to start walking the walk instead of talking the talk.

The Xbox Series consoles are out pacing previous Xbox consoles in sales. Game pass had more subscribers than PS Now. They have more studios than ever before and the games they've released this generation have all scored well. Pretty sure Xbox is already successful and there is no indication things will get worse.

feynoob

Banned
that is what they say. Phil Spencer's purgatory is just about to begin.
Your wish
Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

Phil Spencer has been promoted as the new CEO of Gaming--a role that hasn't existed before--at Microsoft. As CEO, Spencer will oversee all facets of the company's interactive entertainment business. "As Satya mentioned, I am now CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm not sure they can be successful. They are one of the biggest companies in the world. They have access to the best technology. They have bought up a ton of successful developers. They own one of the biggest computer OSes I'm the world. And yet they can't seem to crack this particular nut.

You can blame it on management but what I think it comes down to they are a company that focuses more on enabling productiveness rather than creativeness.

Yep GIF by The Pozek Group

My biggest issue with Microsoft is that I consistently see them obtain established IPs, and then slowly (or not so slowly... Halo 4 was garbage, and Halo 5 was worse, and those were the first two Halo games after Bungie left) run them into the ground. Is that changing? Possibly. I really hope they do well by Fable. I hope that they don't squeeze the life out of Bethesda. At this point I don't know if Microsoft is damaged beyond repair due to the people in charge being out of touch with their studios, or if they're actually working on turning things around. I hope it's the latter, but I wish they would stop buying studios and instead invest in their current studios and IPs to do something great with what they already have.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
For forum people to shut up, and accept the fact that you need time and studios to have stable consistent content over the year.

MS is trying to fix, what they should have done long time ago. And it won't go full affect, until 2024. 2023 we would get some games. But 2024 is when their studio's would truly start firing content.

Until then, we won't get stable content.
Very optimistic. This shit is going to get fixed at the beginning of next-gen (if everything goes well)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They need to accept their position and then move on from there. They fucked up on PC for decades by refusing to accept that Steam was the PC platform. Gamepass is maybe the first positive step they have made in PC gaming. They seem to have made a lot of the same mistakes in the console space, trying to leverage a position that they don't actually have.

feynoob

Banned
Very optimistic. This shit is going to get fixed at the beginning of next-gen (if everything goes well)
If cycle development is anything to go by, 2024 is the realistic year.
If 25 studios cant fire those content during that time, then there is some serious question that needs to be asked.

levyjl1988

Banned
I feel that the Xbox Series X isn't that memorable compared to the Xbox 360. Xbox 360 gave me too many good memories, but the Xbox Series X isn't giving me those memories, maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't get that same excitement I would generally have when I get a new console.

ACESHIGH

Banned
They are already successful. Their first party games are more successful on PC vs Sony ones at least, judging by the number of players. They need to release those big AAA heavy hitters in 2023 and then a steady flow every single year. Knock it out of the park. Make games that people play. Take risks with AA games as well, people will try those games on gamepass regardless.

I don't want MS to be Metacritic obsessed. Look at one of the most succesful games of the generation Sea of Thieves (67 on Metacritic) you can't trust that. Focus on obtaining strong ratings on Steam. Metacritic and game award shows seem to be heavily skewed towards third person action adventure great value Holywood games. MS should not follow that model. Nintendo never cared, neither should MS. They can have the best racing games, shooters, strategy games and WRPGs on the market. Games with replay value. Allow modding, make games with legs.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I feel that the Xbox Series X isn't that memorable compared to the Xbox 360. Xbox 360 gave me too many good memories, but the Xbox Series X isn't giving me those memories, maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't get that same excitement I would generally have when I get a new console.
no 3rd party games, like x360 used to have.
MS shit the bed with those content. Stupid mistake to do, when you are low on content.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
A more constant release of good games.
Some are great (forza, gears, outer worlds )
Some not so much (looking at you halo 5 and infinite)
And they need some single player games like sony (more narrative driven)

So games, games, games!
Hard disagree. Trying to mimic Sony would only hinder the progress they've all ready made. Leave Sony to Sony. Let Xbox continue what they're doing. And Halo Infinite is a legit banger. Never understood the hate towards it, aside from slow content drops.

Kacho

Gold Member
At this point I don't know if Microsoft is damaged beyond repair due to the people in charge being out of touch with their studios, or if they're actually working on turning things around.
It’s definitely a people/culture problem in the Xbox division. They don’t foster an environment for creativity and hire people with a mind for gaming. It’s just a bunch of generic suits looking at spreadsheets and scouring Steam wishlists for games to put on Game Pass. There’s no real passion, no pulse. Buying studios and IP is only a temporary fix because once the talent leaves they’re left with nothing. The dead IP get added to the pile and nothing changes because the people working there don’t give a shit about gaming.

Last edited:

Humdinger

As others have said, they are already successful. If the question is how do they become *more* successful, then I would say what many others have said for years -- they need a good set of high-quality new, exclusive IPs. I assume that's what all the buying has been about. If most of those exclusives aren't exactly new, at least their exclusivity will be.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am talking about consistency.
It took sony a better part of 20 years to get there. Microsoft started rebuilding its studios in 2018. I think you need to have realistic expectations going by history. Some of the new studios will take longer than others to staff up and get to a high level. Like sony bend is not there sucker punch finally got there with ghosts of tsushima after a long time. Same with GG how many failures before they made it with horizon.

JayK47

They seem pretty successful to me. Gamepass is doing much better than I thought it would. The future does seem to be subscriptions, so they can monitor what gets played, etc. So in spite of them being woke and pushing the "own nothing be happy" narrative, it seems to be a winning model.

feynoob

Banned
Yep GIF by The Pozek Group

My biggest issue with Microsoft is that I consistently see them obtain established IPs, and then slowly (or not so slowly... Halo 4 was garbage, and Halo 5 was worse, and those were the first two Halo games after Bungie left) run them into the ground. Is that changing? Possibly. I really hope they do well by Fable. I hope that they don't squeeze the life out of Bethesda. At this point I don't know if Microsoft is damaged beyond repair due to the people in charge being out of touch with their studios, or if they're actually working on turning things around. I hope it's the latter, but I wish they would stop buying studios and instead invest in their current studios and IPs to do something great with what they already have.
People need to look at xbox 1st party history first.

MS neglected for 2 generation, and barely invest on them. Its why Xbox one was bad.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It took sony a better part of 20 years to get there. Microsoft started rebuilding its studios in 2018. I think you need to have realistic expectations going by history. Some of the new studios will take longer than others to staff up and get to a high level. Like sony bend is not there sucker punch finally got there with ghosts of tsushima after a long time. Same with GG how many failures before they made it with horizon.
That's is what I am saying.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
That is what I mean. 2024 and onwards, is when they would pick up.

4 games a year, from 25 studios(1 is a mobile). That is like 4 games every year, with cycle of 6 years. that is the bare minimum for them. Even some studio make 1-2 games at the same time.
You are talking about quantity. I am talking about quality AAA GOTY/New IPs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
"Successful" is the wrong word. They make billions every year.

To deliver:

They need AAA New IP
More AAA games, consistently
Increase the quality of their AAA games.

REAL AAA games, not shit like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown. One of those is an AA game the other is garbage.

dcx4610

Exclusives. Force people into your ecosystem with big games like Call of Duty, Madden. Come up with smart IPs that aren't just meat head games like Last of Us.

Microsoft's problem has always been lack of exclusives. There's never been a reason to own their system exclusively.

Last edited:
Xbox is already successful,

Unless you're talking about what they can do to win, which is a different discussion. It's also pretty early in the gen to bring that up imo.

Don’t make games designed for a subscription service, make great games that just happen to be in a subscription service.

Revamp 343 , best possible people in the right roles with the goal of making the best possible Halo game from day one. Not release now and fix over a period of time.

Best possible people in product management.

If Gamepass is something that can be more enticing to take risks., let’s see what the likes of The Coalition can do away from Gears of War.

Be less reliant on Forza , Halo games for people to point to as staple releases for that year. “Yeah but Forza”. I respect the series but let’s see what else you can do.

That last big new IP game that made a substantial impact from Microsoft was Gears of War. Where was the game that had that impact on Xbox One for example? Something new that will genuinely excite people not only your die hard fans but players who are new to Xbox or moved on to play other platforms.

Smaller things like:

Make a better user interface for people who like that stuff. If you are going to do themes for example, do them better than the competition. Right now they look half arsed and don’t even have music with a option to have on or off.

Achievements, again for those hunters out there who love that stuff, they started this feature on console, so again do it better than the competition. A proper structured layout for completion and DLC/update achievements.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
That is broad talk.
You need to define what goty is.
Is it like fh5 type of quality? Graphic? Gameplay? Content?

Stray is nominated for Goty. Do you mean a game like that?
AAA = The highest production values, big Scope, Bleeding Edge technology.

GOTY= Quality, zeitgeist-Generation defining. Etc...

And New IPs that could replace old ones.

feynoob

Banned
AAA = The highest production values, big Scope, Bleeding Edge technology.

GOTY= Quality, zeitgeist-Generation defining. Etc...

And New IPs that could replace old ones.
Last one is doable. But the first 2 depends on what consumers wants.
So far, MS direction has been gameplay, which is why you see all these type of different games.

Top Bottom