• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about pre-ordering? I just caved in and pre-ordered for the first time

BlackTron

There are no IP left that I have enough confidence in to commit to buy before the game comes out. There also isn't the same danger of shortage now that we have digital games and easy to produce optical disks.

I'm also patient and usually don't mind waiting a while to get a game unless it's truly megaton. I can see preordering hardware, but I don't like to show up at launch anymore to be a beta tester anyway. So no...preordering is not for me.

I think the last game I preordered may have been Halo 2.

th4tguy

Now that I’m digital, I don’t see the point. If I had slow internet and was determined to have the game within the first hour, I would consider. But I have fast internet and I’m not staying up till midnight to play a game…..

Back when I was buying physical, I’d preorder lots of games that I was concerned about actually getting. Back then I lived in the country and the only game store close to me wouldn’t get certain rpgs unless there was a preorder.
They ended up closing down the year I moved away for college.

Last edited:
I think digital games have made pre-ordering less important than ever. The only reason to pre-order these days are the perks. Like collectors editions. Otherwise, there really is no longer an issue of not being able to get a game when you want it, which was what pre-ordering was designed to avoid.

elliot5

OP you probably could have held off a little bit longer and got a purchase punch card for MS Rewards. Basically a 10% discount. They usually appear for the big titles a few weeks from launch

I haven’t pre-ordered games since I switched to digital. No need to unless you want to play the moment it’s available, which I can’t most of the time…

I did manage to preorder the XSX Halo edition though 😁

Ceadeus

I think pre order creates false rarity and demand. Unless it's a console or a special edition. Then it's a guarantee unavailable and eBay full of stock.

The best bet is to pre order the minute it goes online. So, too bad if you are any busy. There's a good amount of time where I missed new ps5 stock by minutes. It's frustrating but I came to a point that I just quit looking at it and I'll eventually come across a ps5 in store. Someday lol.

Jeeves

Its main use is to reserve a physical copy that otherwise might sell out on launch day.

Beyond that there's not much innate value in a preorder. Sometimes I'll do it for a niche series that's really dear to me in order to show strong support for it, though.

I rarely preorder or buy Day 1 anymore. I'm happy being months/years behind current gaming - you pay a fraction of the price and usually have the game of the year edition with all DLC. I just got Doom Eternal with all the DLC for $20 and am loving it.

dezzy8

If it’s a game I’m going to buy day one the. I’ll preorder. When you do it digitally it preinstalls the game so when it releases you don’t have to wait to download.

dano1

A Sheep
Games I know I’m going to play day one I always do. Sometimes you get a bonus or two but the main reason is it’s ready to go at release! Preordered Kena. What a great game!!

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
yes…. As a primarily PlayStation based gamer I don’t know the ecosystem but is this not on game pass and in owning an Xbox pretty much inherently means you have gamepass or is that not the case?
Separate sub. Think of it like PS Plus but a billion games including day 1 exclusives like Forza and Halo etc. Also unlike PS Plus its over 100+ games at anyone time.

Hunnybun

I think pre-ordering digital games is fucking bizarre tbh. I know they sometimes offer bonuses etc, but they're usually nonsense.

It's kind of incredible that it's even a thing, really. In a sane world they should be offering at least 10% discounts, but each to their own I suppose.

Himuro

As a fan of niche genres, back in the day pre-ordering was a requirement. I think the people that shun pre-ordering almost always come from a place of mainstream games. Back in the day, and even now, if you didn't pre-order games from certain publishers you weren't getting a copy that easily. The games I would get, specifically jrpgs, would have 1-2 copies at the store max. If you didn't pre-order you weren't getting it. This was before niche games were available at stores like Walmart like they are now. A game like Yakuza 2 for ps2? If you were smart you pre-ordered it. Shin Megami Tensei games? If you wanted it you pre-ordered it and never left things to chance. Those who shun pre-ordering tend to come from a very privileged place of abundance. The games I play and liked growing up required pre-ordering. If you're just now pre-ordering for the first time you never needed to because you play common, popular games. That's not an insult but I'm explaining the difference in mentality.

Thankfully these days games are produced in higher quantities but it's still embedded in me to pre-order certain games, franchises, or genres.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
If I'm buying day one, usually preorder a few days before release. For goodies and the preload.
This right here.

I also remember Gamestop employees putting the pressure for preorders all the time.

"Dude you HAVE to preorder Skyrim to make sure you get a copy on release day!"

Show up on release day at Future Shop and there's a WALL of all the Skyrim Editions available.

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered one single game in my entire life. Okami for the PS2, and I didn't ever play that version. It's still in the shrink-wrap. I played the HD version years later. I never got the concept of pre-ordering. It's not like you'll miss out. I only pre-ordered Okami due to a pushy sales person, lol.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Separate sub. Think of it like PS Plus but a billion games including day 1 exclusives like Forza and Halo etc. Also unlike PS Plus its over 100+ games at anyone time.

I understand it is a separate sub, but does it not make monetary sense to have gamepass? Or do you value owning that game forever? That is something I value and one of the reasons I do not overly like gamepass, this is not a troll or anything, I do just like to own my purchases outright in all walks of life, not just in gaming.

I never preordered anything for years.
I got sucked into the hype of cyberpunk.
I preordered cyberpunk.
I will never preorder again.

This is me, got absolutely gutpunched by that and never again now.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I pre-order everything I know I want to buy just so I get the extras (soundtrack, steelcase, ...) in my local video game store. Some stuff has been pre ordered many years ago, looking at you Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It is that much I wait for this game (Forza Horizon 5)- it is destined to be a hit.

What do you think in general about pre-ordering? I was always against it, simply there was no real incentive or reason to buy a game before it is out, until yesterday...

qlWeBnD.jpg
Why buy it when it's 'free' with $9.99 Gamepass

tylrdiablos

Haven't pre-ordered a game since No Man's Sky. (It's in better shape now, but it was a massive kick in the dick back on the original release date. Lesson learned.)

MiguelItUp

I don't see a problem, honestly. As long as you're preordering something that means a lot to you.

Majority of the time I only do it if the price is crazy good, or if it's a physical edition of a game I REALLY want. I don't tell people what and what not to preorder, but it's worth being cautious as some games get such promise but don't deliver.

NinjaBoiX

I never really saw the point of it tbh, just buy it when it comes out. I don’t understand why you’d want to pay for something upfront if you don’t have to. But I guess I can understand the appeal of knowing it’s paid for ahead of time or something?

But yeah, if it makes people happy then fair play to them I guess.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I used to be really big on preorders. Not so much anymore. With digital gaming being as big as it is now and i can just download a title day one from home, i rarely preorder anymore unless there are some cool pre-order bonuses.

(Considering preordering Metroid Dread from Wallymart to get the free coffee mug)

Not that I agree with the choice, but it's a known quantity... Ordering that kind of game from a studio you love, that has not burned you before, is usually not a big risk.

Ordering from EA/Activision/etc. Is a bit risky, however, even then a mainline CoD, Battlefield or Far Cry game is not a giant risk (but I believe it's still riskier than a FH game).

R6Rider

Gold Member
If it's a game I know I'll buy (Elden Ring) then sure. I sometimes do it for beta codes (on Amazon it cost you nothing) like for Battlefield 2042.

Poplin

I only pre-order small/niche games or revivals of IP that I really want to see studios do more with. I work in gaming, am aware how important the pre-order metric is in gauging early success of titles. Big ones will sell regardless, but for the smaller ones it makes a difference.

Its same with which games im willing to pay full retail for, bought actraiser (twice actually) not because its a great game, but because i love the IP and i want to contribute to week 1 sales in hopes it leads square enix to justify more investment in remasters. Can only dream of a remake of illusion of gaia, soulblazer, or terranigma.

Also, loving actraiser resurrected. Definitely could be prettier, but gameplay is tight and i like the updates plus the new score is incredible.

MrS

Banned
I'm in favour of it. Physical is always cheaper and the prices can fluctuate.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I pre-order physical titles when I'm pretty sure I want the game at release. I don't pay in advance, and can cancel at any time, so there's zero risk. It's just a way to ensure I get a copy of a game I really want, without locking myself into anything.

I would never pre-order a digital title, that just seems dumb and pointless to me. I don't NEED to have the game downloaded and ready to play at midnight.

Wizz-Art

For all the people wondering why buy Forza Horizon 5 when it's going to release day one on Game Pass. Well, for me it's because it's my favourite franchise and so it's worth it for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment it's going to give me and I like to own the Forza games as I play through them over the whole course of a generation. Also it kinda was free because I purchased it with a giftcard I redeemed with points I saved through MS Rewards.

Also having a Game Pass subscription doesn't mean that I stopped buying games at all, that's such a misconception! Game Pass prevented me wasting money on something I'm not even sure about, but it also exposed me to games that I probably wouldn't have tried before and most of the time if I enjoyed such a game I seek out to buy the previous games like I did after I played through Yakuza Like a Dragon and Kingdom Hearts 3 or if I happen to like the game just purchase it when I see it on sale later like MLB The Show, Wreckfest, Dragon Quest IX etc.

Old Retro

I will if there's a physical incentive. Last game I preordered was MGS V collector's edition:
metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-collectors-edition-424033.1.jpg

I can't remember how much I paid but it was worth every penny. I think I also preordered Nier Automata, but nowadays all you get is shitty weapon skins and dumbass lootboxes with games.

I see no reason unless it's a physical copy of a highly awaited title that surely will fly from the shelves. Digital... well, you buy and get your copy of it the moment you want to pay for it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If it isnt about the pre order bonueses, or some physical limited edition, preordering is useless in my opinion.

keraj37

Why did you preorder when it's literally a day 1 GP release. That's madness.

yes…. As a primarily PlayStation based gamer I don’t know the ecosystem but is this not on game pass and in owning an Xbox pretty much inherently means you have gamepass or is that not the case?

Why not just pay another $60 and get Gamepass. Forza 5 is included day 1.

I understand it is a separate sub, but does it not make monetary sense to have gamepass? Or do you value owning that game forever? That is something I value and one of the reasons I do not overly like gamepass, this is not a troll or anything, I do just like to own my purchases outright in all walks of life, not just in gaming.

Why buy it when it's 'free' with $9.99 Gamepass

For all the people wondering why buy Forza Horizon 5 when it's going to release day one on Game Pass. Well, for me it's because it's my favourite franchise and so it's worth it for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment it's going to give me and I like to own the Forza games as I play through them over the whole course of a generation. Also it kinda was free because I purchased it with a giftcard I redeemed with points I saved through MS Rewards.

Also having a Game Pass subscription doesn't mean that I stopped buying games at all, that's such a misconception! Game Pass prevented me wasting money on something I'm not even sure about, but it also exposed me to games that I probably wouldn't have tried before and most of the time if I enjoyed such a game I seek out to buy the previous games like I did after I played through Yakuza Like a Dragon and Kingdom Hearts 3 or if I happen to like the game just purchase it when I see it on sale later like MLB The Show, Wreckfest, Dragon Quest IX etc.

I have similar view like Wizz-Art Wizz-Art .
But on top of that I really don't like this idea, I like to play games I know I own them, even digitally (I buy digital games usually only when they are Play Anywhere so I can install it on XSX and my PC - one purchase, two games?).
I value time more than money - I can afford any game day one, and game pass tries to steal my time and waste it experimenting with different games I would never play otherwise.
Game Pass is just not for me, if it works for you then good for you.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I pre-order all souls games. From Software can do no wrong. Even Dark Souls 2, arguably the worst of the series, was still a good game when viewed in a vacuum.

TexMex

I think preordering a digital product is the dumbest shit ever unless they give you a financial incentive for doing so.

tommib

I pre-order all souls games. From Software can do no wrong. Even Dark Souls 2, arguably the worst of the series, was still a good game when viewed in a vacuum.
You had me until Dark Souls 2. It’s my favourite from the Dark Souls series. 🤷🏻‍♂️Anyway, can’t wait for Elden Ring digital pre-order!

Top Bottom