• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you look for in a great adventure?

SinDelta

A few videogame examples for me being:

The vast living world of the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
The Norse Myth meets Shakespeare of Odin Sphere
The beautiful artwork and D&D feel of Dragons Crown
The insane action sets and graphics of Uncharted 2. Likeable witty characters.
The vast epic of Dragon Quest XI

Other mediums:
Star Wars Ep IV-VI - What more can I say?
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Perfection.
Last Crusade - Hollywood should know to cap off more franchises like this but they don't.
The Mummy (1999)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - Hollywood should know to cap off more franchises like this but they don't
Avatar the Last Airbender - Had everything. World building, a good cast and over arching story over three seasons, good action, ect.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In the grand scheme of things, the risks we experience on a daily basis are not risks at all when compared to those our ancestors faced. Today the greatest risks for a North American/European/Australian is the direct consequence of a life devoid of risk. Torpidity.

The ability to cope with chaos, chance, and an unfortunate turn of events is often highly dependent on whether we had to cope with something similar before. Should I purposely introduce risk into my life (risk for risk's sake) so that I do not lose the ability to cope with it, just like I introduce exercise into my life because I am sheltered from the natural exercise that humans experienced throughout our development? Would practice make me perfect? Probably not. Might it make me better? Definitely.

As human beings become smarter we get better at predicting what could potentially go wrong. We've got a built in bias against risk and a built in bias against loss. These biases cause us to err on the side of safety, where safety is a constantly decreasing tolerance of risk. Since we are rarely forced to do anything dangerous, only dummies do things that are statistically viewed as dangerous. Trouble is, as perceived danger expands we are constantly becoming topsider and topsider.

Stupidity in the name of YOLO might be the smartest thing we can do. Use it or lose it.

That is true adventure.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

stepping out of your comfort zone & learning/trying something new is adventure enough for me for example I had a cheese sandwich and peanut butter sandwich for dinner tonight it was ok

Vulnerability. Really knowing your heart and then exposing it...risking *All* for the truth within, for the genuine rhythms of the heart.

kaiju

A desolated Earth. Something like TLOU2 but without the infected or dark AF storyline. Just let me explore the ruins.

Hatemachine

Banned
Does anybody here see the irony of asking "what do you look for in a great adventure?" and then listing a bunch of video games and movies?

Hatemachine

Banned
Is one not allowed to seek adventure through other mediums?
By definition, that's not an adventure. An actual adventure exposes you to risk. The only risk you're exposing yourself to by sitting on your couch and playing Uncharted is risk of diabetes.

INC

Practical sets and fx
Mythology story line
A flawed protagonist
A protagonist that isn't invisible or perfect
Big set pieces

Basically Indy films formular

National treasure and the mummy were decent attempts, they're Sunday afternoon films

SinDelta

By definition, that's not an adventure. An actual adventure exposes you to risk. The only risk you're exposing yourself to by sitting on your couch and playing Uncharted is risk of diabetes.
I should have clarified that I was looking for thoughts on what makes a good, fun adventure in "A Lord of the Rings" sense, not a "Get off the couch sense." No one is Nathan Drake, Lara Croft or Indiana Jones or Frodo, that goes without saying.

By your definition all of Hollywood's adventure movies are not in fact adventure movies. The Lord of the Rings is not an adventure. The only "adventure" is the risk of dying in a car crash going to see them in theaters or getting a papercut while flicking through the pages of a book.

There is in fact no adventure except what you find in real life? Sure, I've gone on trips, seen different places, museums, places from history. I would also consider those small adventures of my own. Exploring the MET in New York alone is an adventure that can take up a good chunk of a trip.

Last edited:

Dark Star

A desolated Earth. Something like TLOU2 but without the infected or dark AF storyline. Just let me explore the ruins.

Yup. I agree with this. I enjoy TLOU, but those clickers and infected really get my heart rate up. I just want to explore the world and soak it all in, not get brain-sucked by a zombie.

I guess that's why I enjoyed replaying Uncharted series more.

Last edited:

Dark Star

Games like Dark Souls remastered, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Witcher 3 are perfect adventures. If LOTR was made into a non-shadow of mordor open world more like Witcher 3, it would be amazeballs.

Last edited:
Since we are rarely forced to do anything dangerous, only dummies do things that are statistically viewed as dangerous
Lol probably one of the most cowardly sentences I have ever read.
Does anybody here see the irony of asking "what do you look for in a great adventure?" and then listing a bunch of video games and movies?
Not really. Unless you have an amazing IRL adventure to offer alongside this take, you are just being needlessly pedantic.

This is like the opposite of Presentism. You are acting like we don't live in 2021.

Last edited:
The only great adventures I care about are the ones with my homie

tunnel rat GIF by South Park

In fiction? A palpable sense of progression. After analyzing some shit stories over the years, I've noticed that practically all of the adventures where the plot feels "stuck" with filler and pointless narrative arcs just end up losing my attention sooner or later. Same thing with the ones where the plot advances, but it feels forced and just for the sake of introducing new locales/characters instead of growth as a person or a team to face challenges and see the world differently.

One Piece is a good example of the former and Persona 5 of the latter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom