• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Could the Actiblizz Purchase Mean for World of Warcraft?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Probably the most interesting part of the acquisition as far as I'm concerned - I would say that as an ex-WoW player, but it's probably the thorniest aspect of this whole thing.

WoW subscriptions are still $14.99 per month and the game is at an all-time record low in player engagement.

Does Microsoft roll the base subscription into Game Pass? Do new Game Pass tiers get added? Is the game put into maintenance mode? Does literally nothing change? What are your thoughts?

In my dream scenario, WoW as we know it ends after Shadowlands wraps up, and stays in 10.0 forever as part of a Game Pass subscription, with no new development done aside from bug fixes. The Classic version of the game becomes an expansion-based server selection screen where people can choose to play any of the expansions on rolling servers with populations that are actually tracked and maintained with no bullshit fees for transfers. Following on from that, they build a new version of WoW from the ground up and give it the complete overhaul it is long overdue. Tie it into a franchise reboot called "Warcraft" if you have to, but the game needs a complete hard reset and this will be the absolute best time to do it.

Plantoid

I hope they expand on the warcraft universe, just like star wars, let other studios work on this IP

Also, announce wow 2, played from the cloud anywhere

I believe wow as it stands now is already dead, but the brand is strong

Same thing applies to StarCraft

I think it will be inlcuded in Game Pass Ultimate. Microsoft wants Game Pass to grow and many wow players don't have time to play other stuff anyways.

Xyphie

Nothing is going to cause some magical WoW resurgence and we'll start getting 10-15M subscriber numbers ever again, the game is on the trajectory it's on regardless of who owns it. The game is coming up on 20 years old, it's not the new hot thing anymore, eventually the opportunity cost threshold will be crossed and they'll stop making expansions, Dev Team will make something new and just sort of maintain the game with new expansion seasons etc.

Last edited:
Not much is going to change, at least not until 2025 and onwards so doubt we should concern ourselves or get excited for anything. I'd love a new warcraft or starcraft but I doubt we'll ever see any kind of RTS from blizzard ever again.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think world of war craft is massive, putting it on console is a huge risk there’s just a difference between console and pc.

TexMex

It's a dying brand and fewer people than ever care. It isn't a console game so it'll remain right where it is too. I can't see the direction of this thing changing at all.

Holammer

WoW and other Activision-Blizzard titles on Microsoft Store/gamepass and Steam. That'll be weird? Will it attract new players?
What will happen with the Battlenet klient? Will MS give Heroes of the Storm another push? So many questions.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Wow is beyond saving and Microsoft owning the IP wont make it better.

The only way to make Wow relevant again is if they start over and somehow get a team on it as talented and passionate as the original team in the early 2000s. No chance…

Flintty

I hope they expand on the warcraft universe, just like star wars, let other studios work on this IP

Also, announce wow 2, played from the cloud anywhere

Yup - it has to be expansion of the universe and more content for WoW. It's not dead but it's not that healthy either. Less time gating to keep subs, less gouging, and make it an enjoyable service across the board. They have the talent, they just need a change of strategy. MS can do that. I think they handle GAAS well, so far.

AJUMP23

MS will turn all the enemies into Playstation characters. Instead of fighting dragons, you will have to stop the Drake Brothers.

Hari Seldon

With MS now owning it I could see a renewed push for WoW2 that is designed for console as well as PC. It would be a waste of resources to port WoW to console at this point. But what Blizzard needs most is new leadership.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is Elder Scrolls Online on Game Pass? Because they own that as well.
This is the right answer. Elder Scrolls Online is indeed on Game Pass, but you only get the base game and the first expansion.

I could see them restructuring WOW to do something similar.

Vagswarm

I just hope they push for quality over profit... Activision took the latter to the extreme. Maybe Phil & co can knock some sense into them and make Blizzard games awesome again... I'd rather them have the reigns. He seems to know what players want. It said a lot when they delayed Halo Infinite at the risk of losing interest early. Imagine what it would've been like if it released back then.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more delays to Blizzard games. Already Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 were pushed out of this year with all the scandal chaos and losing key members as a result.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

This is the right answer. Elder Scrolls Online is indeed on Game Pass, but you only get the base game and the first expansion.

I could see them restructuring WOW to do something similar.
Shit son I didn't know Elder Scrolls Online was on gamepass lol. Is it on console gamepass as well?

Vagswarm

At least WoW actually exists and is still being supported. And it's still making them a lot of money, especially with Classic.

Starcraft is legitimately dead and wasn't even mentioned as a focus going forward during their financial report. They cut off support for Starcraft 2 and the Battlefield meets Starcraft game was canceled.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Probably means that nothing changes in the short term and they find ways to keep PC players paying for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shit son I didn't know Elder Scrolls Online was on gamepass lol. Is it on console gamepass as well?
Yes it's on console and PC. It's a first party game from Microsoft now, after all.

jshackles

Just checked, it is not on PC at all.
Oh yeah, my bad. Currently, it's just Xbox and Cloud (cloud being the console version, but playable on a PC via streaming).

It means WoW will be getting a sequel. It may not arrive until 2030, but Warcraft is one of the top 3 properties acquired in the sale.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Yeah, I'd like a sequel with the newest developing tool and technology.

WoW did the teenage gaming fanaticism for me, that 2006 - 2012 gaming experience is never gonna get replicated for me. That's why despite all negativities I still hope the franchise a bright future.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Nothing changes. Milk WOW until it dies completely in a year or two and then restart the Warcraft franchise with WC4.

Top Bottom