• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can we expect from Sega in 2020? Any surprise announcements?

What is your most hyped Sega game of 2020? I'm feeling generous, so feel free to choose up to 3 ;-)

• Yakuza 7

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Streets of Rage 4

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Panzer Dragoon Remake

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • House of the Dead Remake

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Persona 5 Scramble

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Humankind

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • More Sega ages Releases

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Phantasy Star Online 2

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Yakuza games on Xbox

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Sakura Wars

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Total War Saga: Troy

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • As yet unnamed Creative Assembly First Person Shooter

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters

Kazza

Sega has had a pretty busy year in 2019, with the release of the the Megadrive/Genesis Mini, a new big entry in their Total War franchise, a new Sonic Racing game, Catherine Classic/Full body released on PC and PS4 respectively, plus sequels to long running series released by thrid parties in Shenmue 3 and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and more...

The Sega/Atlus/CA/other devs seem set to step up the pace even more in 2020, with the following already announced:

Panzer Dragoon Remake - Switch, PC

header.jpg

Forever Entertainment have set a release date for the first remake for Winter 2019/20, we we should expect a release by the Spring. A remake of the sequel, Zwei, has already been announced and is being worked on at the same time as the remake of the original, so it's possible that we will see it make an appearance too by the end of the year.

House of the Dead Remake 1&2 - TBC

HotD1-2-Remakes_09-26-19.jpg

Also to be published by Forever Entertainment, the news is sparse on this one, with no platforms confirmed, but hopefully the first of the two will release by the end of 2020.

Streets of Rage 4 - all platforms

header.jpg

Only a vague "2020" release date announced so far, but at least we know it will be released on all platforms (something Sega really needs to do more of). Adam was announced recently, and we have at least one more character yet to be revealed.

Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon - PS4

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon-Hero.jpg

Coming out in Japan in January, this should come west by the summer. Will the new RPG-style turn-based combat be fun enough to retain old fans while attracting new ones?

New Sakura Wars - PS4

Project-Sakura-Wars-8-1.jpg

Released in Japan on the 12th of December, this action RPG/dating sim/visual novel is due to come west in the spring. The change from SRPG to action RPG gameplay was controversial, but it seems to have sold well in Japan.

Troy: A Total War Saga - PC

header.jpg

A new entry in the Total War Saga series, Britannia met with a mixed reception, hopefully this one will please fans more.

Yakuza 5 Remaster - PS4

25138.jpg

3 and 4 were already released on PS4 in 2019 and 5 will release on the platform on February 11th.

Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 & 2 - Xbox One

yakuza-xbox-one.jpg

Xbox owners finally get to sample some Yakuza goodness when these three games come to Gamepass in early 2020.

Phantasy Star Online 2 - PC, Xbox

maxresdefault.jpg

Only announced for North America so far, but at least some part of the English speaking world will finally get the chance to play this. Spring 2020

Bayonetta & Vaquish 10th Anniversary Bundle - PS4, Xbox One

EF7C73DD-1310-4F2A-8FAD-1D0321D99C70.jpeg

These remasters (likely just ports of the PC versions released a couple of years back) will release February 18th.

Humankind - PC

header.jpg

A Civ-style 4X strategy game from the same devs behind the Endliess Space games. As a fan of both Sega and the Civ series, I'm really looking forward to this one, and it's looking pretty good so far.

Sega Ages - Switch

sega-ages-mar302019-announce--1038x576.jpg

Of the already announced games, we are still waiting for Western releases of Shinobi, Fantasy Zone, Thunder Force AC, Sonic 2, Puyo Puyo 2, G-LOc Air Battle and Herzog Zwei. The titles have apparently been selling decently in the West, but not so much in Japan. Hopefully the series will continue and they will get a little bit more daring with their choices.

Persona 5 Royal - PS4

Persona-5-Royal.jpg

Already released in Japan, it will be coming to the West in March.

Persona 5 Scramble - PS4, Switch

P5S-Header-696x391.jpg

Scheduled for a February release in Japan, hopefully the western release will follow in the Summer or Autumn.

As yet unnamed Creative Assembly First Person Shooter - PC?

total_war_three_kingdoms-4780681.jpg

Nothing really known about this, apart from the fact that it is well into development. Alien Isolation was great, so I'm excited to see what they are working on here.

Which games are you most hyped for? Have I missed any?

Kazza

Now onto the really fun part, speculation :messenger_beaming: I'll go first:

Likely announcements:
  • Judgment and Yakuza 3, 4, 5 ports to PC
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 European release
  • Persona 5 Switch release (50-50 chance of PC release too)

Realistic and well within the realm of possibility, but not necessarily likely (this year, at least):
  • Some kind of new Sonic Mania-related announcement. Whitehead's new Evening Star studio have to be working on something, right?
  • Remaster of Jet Set Radio Future and/or a new Jet Set Radio game announcement. Sega have been bringing back a lot of their old franchises, and JSR came high on that survey they did a while back. Hope springs eternal!
  • Skies of Arcadia HD
  • Yakuza 0 and Kiwami Switch ports
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga remake announcement and/or new Panzer game
  • Fist of the North Star PC announcement
  • Shenmue 4 announcement. If they are going to announce it, it would have to be next year when all the Shenmue 3 team are still together, otherwise it becomes increasing difficult to put together.
Impossible:
  • Dreamcast 2
  • Persona 5 on Xbox
  • Outrunners and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder Sega Ages releases (there's no good reason why these shouldn't have come out multiple times over the past 20+ years, so I've pretty much given up at this point)

Kazza

I’m excited for Persona 5 Royal but the one I’m really hyped for is......
maxresdefault.jpg

I’m also looking forward to new Sakura Wars and Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Encore.

Ha, I completely forgot about that one. Wasn't it announced at the Switch reveal? At this point I'm not sure which will release first, Metroid Prime 4 or SMT5! I wouldn't bank on either coming out in 2020.

Kazza

By the way, Sega will be 60 years old next year

You're right, I didn't know that. According to wiki, it was founded on June 3, 1960 (although Service Games Japan has a longer history). I wonder how/if they will mark the anniversary?

Kazza

No Sonic in the poll? Even after the movie be at 2020?

No Sonic games have been announced for next year, and I don't think any are likely. I'm hopeful that we'll see something in 2021 though. I have to confess, once Mania released I was concerned that they would start churning out 2D Sonics every year - how wrong I was! I hope we at least get an announcement for a new 2D Sonic in 2020, but I also hope that they let the team create an entirely new adventure, not just Mania 2 (with more recycled 1-3 levels). As for 3D Sonic, I think they need to take their time and get it absolutely perfect. Although I liked the "boost" games, I think they need to go for a new style now.

Saber

Gold Member
My hopes are aways broken because I aways hope someone brings Shinning Force 3 back lmao

No Sonic games have been announced for next year, and I don't think any are likely. I'm hopeful that we'll see something in 2021 though. I have to confess, once Mania released I was concerned that they would start churning out 2D Sonics every year - how wrong I was! I hope we at least get an announcement for a new 2D Sonic in 2020, but I also hope that they let the team create an entirely new adventure, not just Mania 2 (with more recycled 1-3 levels). As for 3D Sonic, I think they need to take their time and get it absolutely perfect. Although I liked the "boost" games, I think they need to go for a new style now.

Honest question, this thread is about what people expect or what you expect?

Sonic a biggie of Sega and even though I'm also not getting much of Sonic vibes to the next year, I still believe they might push Sonic with whatever the crap they come up with. Sonic Team doesn't look like is having much work on Sonic(last game they spend like 2 years on Forces), they could just rush a Sonic game again in the hope it works.

To be quite frankly, next years sounds a bit worrysome for Sonic. Unless they keep being stuborn and relies on Sonic Team for main games, we might never get truly rid of boost, which is not bad actually but its becoming stalling at this point. I wish they disband Sonic Team and pick up some real pro devs for Sonic.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
No Re Fantasy ? Studio Zero is the first Atlus Studio 100% funded by Sega.(their first game would probably be the first co development with Sega Japan and a true next gen game).

I vote Re Fantasy and Skies of Arcadia Remake + Skies of Arcadia 2 (I feel it's coming soon :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sakura Wars came back so they're also bringing back Panzer Dragoon RPG, hence the commissioned remakes of Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei (and maybe Saga) to bring some interest in the IP back before the big one drops.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Personally, Panzer Dragoon.

I'm especially excited to see the Zwei remake, which was already confirmed to be happening soon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMT V SEGA DO YOUR MAGIC
I'm genuinely curious to know why is taking Atlus this long to show some gameplay of this game. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think it took Atlus this long to show us the first gameplay trailer for Persona 5. Are they having trouble with UE4 or they entirely switched to different engine?

dottme

I want another Jet Set Radio game. I have been waiting for 18 years now and like it was said earlier in this thread, it came up high on a poll they did recently, so hopefully Sega took notice of that. Just please give it to me, Sega. I want it so fucking bad. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Mista

Banned
They’ve been great this gen. one of the best if we’re being fair. I’m hyped for nee Yakuza! I love the series so much that I’ll replay it when it releases on Xbox too

I’m expecting SEGA to kill it next-gen too. As I said, they’ve been great this gen and I don’t see them stopping being great next-gen

I’ll take Judgment 2 as one of their announcements. The game was good, very good.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why Sega? Why must you just sit on Skies of Arcadia and not release an HD version for PC and console to download? That game is still my favourite RPG of all time. Just imagine 1080+ res, Dreamcast quality music and the Gamecubes additional content from Legends, It would be the perfect game.

Last edited:
After seeing footage of P5 Scramble it is now on my list.

I am honestly hoping that SEGA bring us Border Break and Virtual On in the West as well as perhaps announce a new IP on the Switch that encourages Multiplayer as the meat of the game but also has a robust Single Player and feels very arcade like.

SEGA AGES wise, I want to see Quartet, AB Cop, Kenseiden and some really obscure SEGA game that surprises long time fans.

Lastly, I want to see a Master System/Game Gear Mini as when I did my thread.

Kazza

I think there's a little confusion about the poll. I only included games confirmed (or very likely) to be coming in 2020. If I included speculative choices too, then the list would be almost infinite (VF6, Judgment 2, JST3...). Feel free to speculate in the comments. It will be interesting to come back at the end of the year and see who got it right.

Kazza

After seeing footage of P5 Scramble it is now on my list.

I think a lot of Switch owners were initially disappointed on getting that and not Royal, but a lot of people are pretty hyped now having seen the footage.

Surprise announcements?
Maybe Atlus will finally show something from Project Re Fantasy...
No Re Fantasy ? Studio Zero is the first Atlus Studio 100% funded by Sega.(their first game would probably be the first co development with Sega Japan and a true next gen game).

I vote Re Fantasy and Skies of Arcadia Remake + Skies of Arcadia 2 (I feel it's coming soon :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:)

Hopefully we will get some kind of reveal, I don't expect Fantasy to release until 2021 at the earliest.

Sakura Wars came back so they're also bringing back Panzer Dragoon RPG, hence the commissioned remakes of Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei (and maybe Saga) to bring some interest in the IP back before the big one drops.

I can't help thinking that the two remasters is a build up to a new Panzer RPG (or just a remake of the first) as well. Hopefully we'll get Zwei by the end of 2020, and maybe an RPG in 2021. Fingers crossed!

No option for Dreamcast 2?

Don't do it to yourself, man. A Dreamcast Mini is an outside chance I think.

I want another Jet Set Radio game. I have been waiting for 18 years now and like it was said earlier in this thread, it came up high on a poll they did recently, so hopefully Sega took notice of that. Just please give it to me, Sega. I want it so fucking bad. :messenger_loudly_crying:

They've been releasing other games that polled much lower, so I can't help but think we'll be hearing something soon. My guess is that a third-party western developer will take it on (as with SoR4, Monster Boy etc), although I would prefer a Japanese team.

The poll is missing the Yakuza 3-5 physical collection which is coming out in February. :)

Haven't you Playstation people had your fill of traditional Yakuza already?! :messenger_beaming: I count 8 games in 3 years (including spin-offs). 5 is amazing though. Looking forward to 7.

They’ve been great this gen. one of the best if we’re being fair. I’m hyped for nee Yakuza! I love the series so much that I’ll replay it when it releases on Xbox too

I’m expecting SEGA to kill it next-gen too. As I said, they’ve been great this gen and I don’t see them stopping being great next-gen

I’ll take Judgment 2 as one of their announcements. The game was good, very good.

Judgment 2 seemed to sell pretty well, so I could definitely see that happening, especially as they have switched to turn-based combat for the mainline series and will probably want to keep the fighting fans happy with a more traditional game.

Kazza

Speaking of next-gen consoles, I wonder is Sega will have any next gen launch titles? I suspect their first few PS5/Series X games will be cross-gen, as they were for PS3/4 (Yakuza 0, Persona 5 etc)

I think a lot of Switch owners were initially disappointed on getting that and not Royal, but a lot of people are pretty hyped now having seen the footage.

I don't even like Musous but this feels like an Action RPG sequel more than anything. I hope it doesn't disappoint!

You seem to have posted how well the sales of Judgement 2 were before it even came out!!! Are you our Mystic Meg? :LOL:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
All of these remasters, is Sega Capcom now? ANYWAY even as a giant Sega nerd I'm not really looking forward to anything here. All those great IPs Sega has and Sega is doing nothing with them. But after how poorly VC sold I don't blame em.
Surprise announcements?
Maybe Atlus will finally show something from Project Re Fantasy...
That thing is dead now buy Persona again AT FULL PRICE JOKER!

Kazza

You seem to have posted how well the sales of Judgement 2 were before it even came out!!! Are you our Mystic Meg?

Haha, you got me, I'm actually from the future and am just having fun with everyone, making you all guess while I already have the answers (by the way, the PS5 will only release with 7.52 terraflops, you're welcome)

Alexios

I can't help thinking that the two remasters is a build up to a new Panzer RPG (or just a remake of the first) as well. Hopefully we'll get Zwei by the end of 2020, and maybe an RPG in 2021. Fingers crossed!
I was joking, I doubt a sequel RPG is ever happening (but remaster of Saga is possible, but I dunno if I'd want the same guys that do the shooters to do it, I'm not feeling their interpretation of the art and it's ok for shooters but for the grand epic of Saga with all the characters and cut scenes?) :(

Last edited:
All of these remasters, is Sega Capcom now? ANYWAY even as a giant Sega nerd I'm not really looking forward to anything here. All those great IPs Sega has and Sega is doing nothing with them. But after how poorly VC sold I don't blame em.

That thing is dead now buy Persona again AT FULL PRICE JOKER!
Where do people even get VC4's sales data?
People keep on saying that it sold ''poorly'' (for a VC title?) but I have yet to see any proof of that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Haven't you Playstation people had your fill of traditional Yakuza already?! :messenger_beaming: I count 8 games in 3 years (including spin-offs). 5 is amazing though. Looking forward to 7.
At this point I'll be happy if Cyberpunk is pushed to summer. No way in hell am I going to finish three Yakuza games in two months. :)

Fbh

This is the year we get Yakuza Kenzan + Ishin Remaster in the west!
The Yakuza franchise seems to be more popular than ever in the west (which sadly isn't saying much) so they'll look at the hype for Ghost of Tsushima and be like "wow people like this historical japan setting".... and that's going to push them to localize both games

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Unfortunately, you can add Crimson Dragon (which is basically a rebranded Panzer Dragoon), Yuji Naka's games, kickstabbed Ecco like game and Shenmue 3 for the moment :/.

But Sega found a way to avoid complete suicide by licensing a part of them while developing the others. They are finally moving their ass regarding old franchises with Chuchu Rocket Universe, Space Channel 5 VR, Streets of Rage 4, House of the dead Scarlet, Monkey Ball HD, Alien Isolation Switch, Bayonetta/Vanquish collection,Project Sakura Wars.
We even have hidden treasure like Motor Raid hidden in Judgment...

Hard to deny things are moving from every corner, each fan favorite game can be revealed at any moment. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Oh I forgot something ! Yeah, right Yakuza games are pretty cool but don't forget this studio is also able making other titles like Binary Domain, Jet Set Radio (at least a large part of the staff work there), Daytona...
Begging for new Yakuza games isn't the optimal move because Yakuza studio will continue Yakuza games anyway (no shit !). We must vote with our wallet right now:

Binary Domain is only 3 box until the end of 2019, cock suckers !!! ;)

Last edited:
Most of things I want/wish are either in poll (panzer dragoon, SoR4, HotD and P5R) or already mentioned (Outrun 3, SoA sequel), but only one game can make them all unworthy - Ristar Mania 😉

or new Space Harrier

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
It wont happen but I'd be happy if it did.

House of the dead collection ps4 with move support, or on psvr.

Another sega genesis mini.

Master system, dreamcast, Saturn, sega cd mini.

Panzer dragoon saga remaster.

Wouldn't mind if we actually got House of the Dead EX too for Switch either.

Pretty accessable game for newcomers of the series and it is more family friendly that it would fit under the Nintendo banner like Puyo Puyo and Sonic.

Reagrding remasters and stuff. SEGA's games are pretty timeless but are unfortunately stuck on Platforms that didn't sell so well at the time which is why they are trying to get those games out there again. They should really be going all out with the marketing to get the best sales as I don't like seeing their games fail again.

If newer fans can get on board for SEGA's older catalogue then they can rely less on Sonic as a whole which has caused them problems in the past.

Last edited:

Alexios

Um, how do they suppose you play House of the Dead or similar games on Switch or any current system? Tap the screen to shoot? Or drag crosshair with a stick? When has that ever been a fun way to play lightgun games? They ported them on consoles that had actual lightguns and the latter method was just added since they were porting it anyway, not because it was any good way to play but hey if people wanted to choose that they could, or play 2 player with one gun etc. Then they also ported them on systems with fake lightguns like Wii (or with offering lightguns that functioned with similar technology like the Guncon 3) but they were never as good as the real deal and even though SEGA did some of the finest work on Wii with their calibration it still was't on par (some games wouldn't work with such tech at all, like the Point Blank leaf and other limited ammo challenges with 1 bullet and a tiny target so you can't see the hit effect - or obviously not employ crosshair to defeat the point of the whole thing - and correct the next shot if the aiming is off, you'd fail shit like that because of the technology rather than your lack of skill).

The only way to play games like back then nowadays is in VR with stuff like EmuVR but it's generally for console emulation so missing tons of games and plenty don't work right so hopefully SEGA will some day jump on that bandwagon and offer real VR ports of all their classics with a polished interface, glorious recreation of the cabinets in VR, and if they do OK maybe also make new for VR sequels in 3D space rather than shooting on screens, there are a few ok knock offs like Drop Dead: Dual Strike but none of them reach the heights of the classics in the genre sadly.

There's also the Sinden lightgun coming, using similar tech to Wii but twisting it so it actually becomes 1:1 accurate by tracking a software created border around the game rather than vague minimal reference points in relative space, it could be sweet, we'll see.
It should also be somewhat cheaper than Wii style PC lightguns from AimTrak and the like. If it becomes popular hopefully more emulators will improve support of lightgun games so more games become viable, arcade or home versions.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I think recent fighters (such as Soul Calibur) have done pretty well, so it's not impossible. They should at least release a collection on 1-5 on modern platforms. Personally, I would be more hyped for a new Fighters Megamix. Sega have so many great characters they could include.
Harada will never respond to all the Kiryu requests in Tekken (maybe he'll add Haruka as a troll), so Fighter Megamix 2 is the perfect answer for our Majima fix.

Virtua Fighter 6 is not impossible or ignored. The games still appears in Judgment, Yakuza series. The game centers reminds me a Virtual On Collection will be released on PS4 too.

Sega nuts are not forgotten lately.

This is what I'm hoping for; Saga's such a unique and fun game. Somehow they translating the rail shooter gameplay into a JRPG while cutting out the excess grinding. A remake would need to be very carefully done though; the original had a very particular desolate, post-apocalyptic style where the limitations of the hardware were actually a benefit. Wouldn't want a remake that just missed the point of that.

Surprised to hear about HOTD remakes tho; they have Scarlet Dawn in arcades/FECs right now I figure they could try a home/PC port of that next year with additional content. Actually would think a HOTD action/adventure game with the staple light gun mechanics for the combat mixed with some RPG elements would be cool. Like you can walk around as usual and explore, but combat would take place from a 1st person perspective with the feel of the light gun games.

Basically RE: Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, but optimized/better.

Wouldn't mind if we actually got House of the Dead EX too for Switch either.

Pretty accessable game for newcomers of the series and it is more family friendly that it would fit under the Nintendo banner like Puyo Puyo and Sonic.

Reagrding remasters and stuff. SEGA's games are pretty timeless but are unfortunately stuck on Platforms that didn't sell so well at the time which is why they are trying to get those games out there again. They should really be going all out with the marketing to get the best sales as I don't like seeing their games fail again.

If newer fans can get on board for SEGA's older catalogue then they can rely less on Sonic as a whole which has caused them problems in the past.

This has always been a consistent problem for SEGA and something I've talked about before in other threads. Outside of Sonic and a select handful of other IP like Virtua Fighter and Yakuza, they have usually had some questionable handling of IP retainment for keeping mindshare and marketshare for those IP. Sequels would either be spread way too far apart (Outrunners (1993) to Outrun 2 (2003), a 10-year gap in IP activity), be one-and-dones with no follow-ups despite having the potential (Ristar, Burning Rangers, Deep Fear, SOR4 being cancelled by SOJ and turned into Fighting Force, Eternal Champions 2 being cancelled by SOJ because they wanted VF instead), or be overall poorly managed (Sonic).

I think them being a platform holder and having all the internal conflicts between the branches is the chief reason they could not focus on prime IP during the periods they needed to. It's why Saturn went without a true Sonic game, as well. All of those problems were internal and caused by pointless internal competition and drama driven by overinflated egos. That's why there was usually not much synergy between the branches in tuning marketing for games to different markets globally (i.e VF being popular in Japan but not in US or UK, intentionally under-shipping Panzer Dragoon Saga and mocking people looking for the game in magazine adverts, etc.).

They also had problems with retaining top talent and properly promoting people in the company or putting them on projects in roles that fully suited them, again because of internal political drama. It's only after they weren't a platform holder where they've kinda gotten the message and that's why we've seen IP like Yakuza in particular be regularly retained with a consistent level of quality for multiple years over multiple generations, which is why it has a healthy fanbase. They were doing something sort of like that with VF too, but that IP is dormant and has been for several years (despite that, it's gotten more popular in Western FGC events and tournaments still are a big draw for the older games in Japan and Korea).

So while they're a bit late with the renewed focus on more proper/smarter IP management for long-dormant IP than I'd personally like, at least they're finally kind of getting the message. A lot of these are still baby steps in my eyes; they need to start buying some of these companies and making them a part of the corporate structure, that way they can retain the talent. Once they start doing that and doing some in-house sequels to some of these (no reason a SOR5 can't be on the Yakuza engine, for example, with some fine-tuning. The DotEmu guys would probably love the opportunity working on that alongside the Yakuza team and/or AM2), then I'll know they're fully on-board with the right approach.

...and they need to let Sonic Team do something that isn't Sonic. Why not a Burning Rangers remake? It's just an idea ;0

Last edited:
Top Bottom