• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can I do with my totaled car? Am I screwed here?

Quasicat

Your credit would suck. Buy a new car before you stop paying on the old one.
This is what my neighbor did a few years ago. He had the wrecked car towed to the street in front of his house and bought a new one. After a couple of days, the HOA went knocking to have him move it and he was gone. He bought a new car and a new house and left the other two to rot. He also ripped off everything of value, so the catalytic converter was gone as was the condenser and most of the wiring in the house. Not the way I would have done it, but I always pegged him as a loser when I first met him.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unfortunately, you’re kinda boned. Not having the required insurance has fucked you into next weekend on this. There‘s sometimes wiggle room if you were mis-sold, or weren’t given the right legal insurance, but I’m afraid it sounds more like you just didn’t do your due diligence. Suck it up, get another job, and hope to get the debt paid down. Take it a learning exercises, I guess.

I seriously would not advise trying to buy another car on credit before letting your credit rating get destroyed. If the new car company finds out, you’re potentially opening yourself up to a shit ton of legal proceedings that’ll make your current problems look like nothing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you’re kinda boned. Not having the required insurance has fucked you into next weekend on this. There‘s sometimes wiggle room if you were mis-sold, or weren’t given the right legal insurance, but I’m afraid it sounds more like you just didn’t do your due diligence. Suck it up, get another job, and hope to get the debt paid down. Take it a learning exercises, I guess.

I seriously would not advise trying to buy another car on credit before letting your credit rating get destroyed. If the new car company finds out, you’re potentially opening yourself up to a shit ton of legal proceedings that’ll make your current problems look like nothing.
Im gonna have an estimator take a look on the 1% chance the repairs are less money than $10,000 + a new car.

If that fails I’m going to get a rental for $240 a week and grind so much Uber the bartenders in my city will know me by first and last name and then fire every penny of disposable income almost to the 10k and chip it down in a few months to where I can just pay it off this year and THEN sell it to a salvage yard, take my ~10k in cash, return the rental, and get a new car.

Other options include a potential roll over into a new car (not sure how this works entirely yet) and finding a uhhh more off the books local third party to give me 5k-10k in cash and they’ll make like double that off the parts and I’ll take the money and either get a new car or pay off the remaining balance, get a rental from Uber, and then grind to save up for a new car

That’s all I got for ideas

Last edited:

Mistake

JxG4ifD.jpg

Here’s the total damage everyone
Come to Florida and you can still drive it

Very easy round of Geoguessr. Could've cropped it a bit or something.

But yeah seems like ya gotta take the L. $10k, plus I mean, not an expert here but seems like your insurance is gonna get a whole lot more expensive as well. At least mine did from a very unfortunate parking bump at under 5mph. So, take the lesson on how to drive better, as that's really the most important part. And yeah I guess keep up the Uber hustle if you can still make it profitable but, not knowing anything about your life situation, if I were you, I'd spend my free time trying to improve my income potential as well.

Very easy round of Geoguessr. Could've cropped it a bit or something.

But yeah seems like ya gotta take the L. $10k, plus I mean, not an expert here but seems like your insurance is gonna get a whole lot more expensive as well. At least mine did from a very unfortunate parking bump at under 5mph. So, take the lesson on how to drive better, as that's really the most important part. And yeah I guess keep up the Uber hustle if you can still make it profitable but, not knowing anything about your life situation, if I were you, I'd spend my free time trying to improve my income potential as well.
Nah. It ain’t where I live. Its a random spot in the city we pushed it to after putting it in neutral. I’m not worried in the slightest.

The rest was all good advice I thank you for

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
No comprehensive or collision and you are driving for a living, ooof. Not a good situation, but on a positive note no one was hurt, that could have been a lot worse. Lesson learned though, always carry full coverage, especially if you are driving for work.

Nah. It ain’t where I live. Its a random spot in the city we pushed it to after putting it in neutral. I’m not worried in the slightest.
Yeah I figured your Uber accident wasn't in front of your house, I was literally meaning it from the perspective of "this might be fun to Geoguess" and then realizing it was a 2 second job.

edit: Actually, good on you, one of my pet peeves on this board is when people write "In my country" or "I live near smaller city nearer to big city" when what city/country would actually be useful context to engage with said person.
Then again maybe the difficulty was adequate in general :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
The only thing you can really do is try to finance another vehicle, then deal with the issues and trying to get this taken care of. Always get full coverage on a financed vehicle, yeah it is much more, but you could have avoided this issue.

GeekyDad

... I feel like I’m just screwed. ...
I'd say, trust your feelings.

If you rear-ended the driver in front of you, it's always your fault. You were following too close. That's, at least if you're driving in the States, the law. And considering your financial status, you can't afford to argue that in court.

BlackTron

IIRC an insurance quote form usually asks whether the car is owned or financed, which I'd think would usually prevent this error. I'm not saying it will necessarily help in terms of liability but it seems like some oversight was made on the part of the insurance company. They are supposed to connect you with the product you need.

Top Bottom