• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your Top 5 Mega Man games ?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Of the Mega Man games I fully enjoy:

1. Tie : Mega Man 6 and Mega Man 9 -

I don't give a shit about the slide glitch to be honest, the game only makes you slide in a few places and doesn't really need it most of the time. The weapons are good, the music is god tier, the bosses and stages have clever design. i love it. As for Mega Man 9, the game includes Jewel Man, my favorite character in the entire franchise, Strange World (Dr. Wily Stage 3), my favorite stage theme in the entire franchise, and the weapons, bosses, level design, and everything else is great.

2. Tie : Mega Man 11 and Mega Man 4 -

Mega Man 4 has awesome weapons, innovative level design, mostly good bosses, and good balance, similar to Mega Man 9. The only things i don't like about Mega Man 4 are Ring Man's fight, Dust Man's theme, and the percussion used in the soundtrack. As for Mega Man 11, extremely fun and nicely designed, but i won't get into it yet much due to spoilers.

3. Mega Man 10 -

This game is a blast to play. It's really fun to play as Bass and speed run through, or take your time as Mega Man and Proto Man. The only thing i found bad about the game was Punk's fight and stage.

4. Tie : Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 1 -

Both games are pretty good.

5. Mega Man 5 -

I dislike Stone Man, Napalm Man, and Gravity Man, though. Star Man is one of my favorite Robot Masters in the franchise.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I assume we’re talking about classic series only here?

MM3 is probably the most complete package. 8 robots + 4 extra stages before Wily. The game is so smooth compared to 1 and 2, it feels like a different experience altogether. Fantastic music. Great graphics. Rush. It has it all.

MM9 may be the most fun to play, though. Incredibly smooth, it has a great flow to it. Great bosses, great weapons that are actually all useful. It’s been my favorite to replay ever since its release.

MM2 is legendary. Not the best to play nor the most polished, it has some rough spots that betray its age and it feels heavy compared to the next iterations. But it’s such a good game nonetheless, and yup... dat soundtrack.

MM11 turned out so much better than I expected, it deserves a spot in the top 5. The game’s design is flawless.

MM4 GB is my favorite of the Game Boy episodes. The level design is better even than MM5 GB.

If we’re including the X series as well, then MMX1 is the best of the pack and a game for the ages. Its only flaw is that it’s too easy.

NahaNago

i haven't played that many but my favorites are the mega man legends games. I do like the battle network games as well.

MacReady13

Mega Man 3 is by far my fav. Iconic levels. Iconic and classic music. This game was my childhood and every other MM game falls well short of this classic.

Mega Man X.

Mega Man 2.

Mega Man 9.

Mega Man 11.

kunonabi

Went ahead and did a top 10 as that covers most of the games I actually like.

1. Mega Man X2
2. Mega Man 3
3. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
4. Mega Man 2
5. Mega Man X
6. Mega Man 8
7. Mega Man
8. Mega Man 7
9. Mega Man 4
10. Mega Man Legends 2

Honorable Mention: Mega Man Legends, Mega Man X3, Rockman and Bass, Mega Man 9

Not a fan of anything else to be honest. The arcade games were fine I guess.

SkylineRKR

MMX2 and MMX1 are my top dogs. Classic series its 9, 3, 8, 2 and Powered Up.

MMX4 is pretty good too. 11 has the looks, but ultimately felt short and the intro and all kinda cheap. Was kind of indifferent on the slow motion as well.

wondermega

MM2 is top for me. Nostalgia heavy, to be certain, but everything about it just flows so perfectly as far as I am concerned. Character designs, level layouts, graphics, music, the whole end of the game area (surprise, after surprise, after surprise) and how all of that played out. A huge bright spot during the time NES was getting serious steam in their early heyday.

MM1 is second. Much rougher than anything that came after, and the gulf between the first two is huge in some ways relative to the incremental changes that followed from 2 on. It's a bit of a big ask to get a modern gamer to sit down with MM1 in present day and see the appeal as opposed to something that might be a little friendlier as, say, Super Mario Bros which is likewise primitive but probably a lot more approachable. But considering that, and remembering how big of a jump it felt between SMB and MM1 (some of us experienced them relatively closely together, when they were new) this game was like a parting of the heavens. The sheer variety of things to do and see in this game, the absurd amount of weapons, the crazy different DETAILED levels, the (almost literal) rock-paper-scissors gimmick, the BLOODY AMAZING AND CATCHY soundtrack which can still ring in my head to this day, it was such a phenomenal package. Distancing from the nostalgia and all, you can see how the overall design is pretty simple compared to what came later (read: not nearly as tight) but all the guts were there and actually very well done. I can still get a good charge out of actually playing this game, even if it does feel kind of like a drag since it is so, soooo aged.

MM3 is third. I wanted to love this, and it does so many things right - the graphics are just spectacular, the music was exemplary, the bosses and their worlds were still fairly awesome. But to be honest by the time I was putting this game through the motions I was starting to feel some Mega Man burnout. I'll still place it high on the list just because the aesthetic is still so compelling to me (and the screenshots still blow my mind, what they were able to achieve on that hardware) but as super solid as everything was, the novelty was starting to wear thing.

MMX is 4th for me. By now I was pretty tired of the whole MM thing, but of course as the first time the series had a souped-up look and some different things going on in a notable way, with the extra power running on the SNES was going to afford it, there was no way I was going to miss it. I did grab it, and went through the usual motions.. "oh hey a new Mega Man game on markedly better hardware, of course it LOOKS and SOUNDS so awesome!!!" and the stages started to feel a little more dynamic I suppose.. but yes at this point, once I was through the game, though the journey was a blast I felt like I really had seen all of the Mega Man games I'd ever needed to see. Again, the music still stays with me (they were always somehow able to get the best music designers on these things!) but overall it started feeling kinda forgettable to me at this point.

5th is.. umm. I bought Mega Man 4, and it was fun.. I guess. I don't remember. Did I buy 5? If so I am sure I beat it, but honestly I cannot recall. I know I never even played 6. Mega Man X2, X3 - never tried them. they all looked fine and I am sure they were.. but yeah at this point I had had an assfull of Mega Man I guess! To be fair, at this point more than 3 of any game (Sonic, Super Mario, Contra, Castlevania etc) of these 8 and 16 bit games were starting to feel a bit like diminishing returns. They were very well established, and you knew what to expect and enjoyed that, but these worlds and their mechanics were not so complicated that the games felt so drastically different between iterations. I would savor them as a kid, and I guess I didn't notice as much at the time, but looking back as the years went on and the industry started to tune up, we as consumers started getting deluged with choices, and the great thing about this hobby was that there was just so much diversity in types of experiences you could get into. At some point it became more about "oh I need to get the latest thing from a series that I already know what to expect" versus "here's something by this cool publisher I love, and it looks interesting and weird and I don't exactly know what to expect WHAT IS IT I NEED IT!"

Sorry for the little rant, I guess it's interesting to me to have some perspective on this stuff all these years later!

I assume we’re talking about classic series only here?

MM3 is probably the most complete package. 8 robots + 4 extra stages before Wily. The game is so smooth compared to 1 and 2, it feels like a different experience altogether. Fantastic music. Great graphics. Rush. It has it all.

MM9 may be the most fun to play, though. Incredibly smooth, it has a great flow to it. Great bosses, great weapons that are actually all useful. It’s been my favorite to replay ever since its release.

MM2 is legendary. Not the best to play nor the most polished, it has some rough spots that betray its age and it feels heavy compared to the next iterations. But it’s such a good game nonetheless, and yup... dat soundtrack.

MM11 turned out so much better than I expected, it deserves a spot in the top 5. The game’s design is flawless.

MM4 GB is my favorite of the Game Boy episodes. The level design is better even than MM5 GB.

If we’re including the X series as well, then MMX1 is the best of the pack and a game for the ages. Its only flaw is that it’s too easy.

I always felt 3 was less polished than 2 but ok.

Banned
top 5 in no particular oder:

-MegaMan 6
-MegaMan X
-MegaMan X4
-MegaMan Legends
-MegaMan 2 (GameBoy) + MegaMan 1 (GameBoy) tied as one spot... I played both religiously as a kid and can't decide which one I like better

Banned
Am I the only one who liked Mega Man 8?

My favorites are just X1 and X2.

MM8 is very controversial. I liked it, but after MegaMan X a lot of people looked at the og MM series as outdated and overdone
MM7 had a similar reaction from players

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Mega Man PlayStation Evolution. This video takes a look at the Evolution & History of All 22 Megaman games released on PlayStation systems from 1996 to 2020. From Megaman 8 on the original PlayStation to Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection for PS4/PS5. This video also features the compilation and PSP handheld games.

0:06 Megaman 8 (1996)
0:28 Megaman X3 (1996)
0:49 Megaman X4 (1997)
1:11 Megaman Battle & Chase (1997)
1:32 Megaman Legends (1997)
1:54 Megaman Legends 2 (2000)
2:16 Megaman X5 (2000)
2:37 Megaman X6 (2001)
3:00 Mega Man X7 (2003)
3:21 Mega Man Anniversary Collection (2004)
3:41 Mega Man X: Command Mission (2004)
4:01 Mega Man X8 (2004)
4:21 Mega Man X Collection (2006)
4:41 Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (2006) PSP
5:00 Mega Man Powered Up (2006) PSP
5:19 Mega Man 9 (2008)
5:38 Mega Man 10 (2010)
5:58 Mega Man Legacy Collection (2015)
6:18 Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 (2017)
6:37 Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 & 2 (2018)
6:58 Mega Man 11 (2018)
7:18 Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (2020)

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think I've only played 4 Mega Man games, but I enjoyed X1 over 9, 10, and 2.

My problem is that I'm too impatient in a series that demands it, which goes as well as you'd expect.

mutt765

These games consumed most of my childhood, as you can probably tell from my avatar, so my answer's are totally nostalgia driven but here it goes...

MM2 - This was the first one I played and I played it a lot, so I remember it the most fondly. I don't want to repeat what's already been said but the bosses, level design, and music instantly blew my little mind

MM3 - It improved on everything 2 did right, plus introduced Rush, Protoman, and the charge shot.

MMX - This was released at exactly the right time for me, I had stopped paying attention to Mega Man classic sequels because I was older and they weren't improving anything since 3, but MMX had a more mature tone, more modern graphics, and a more rock inspired soundtrack that once again hooked me. Also Zero was badass.

MM5 - I was getting tired of the MM formula at this point but I loved the focus on Protoman as a bad guy and how that ultimately turned out. I also enjoyed the space themed levels for Gravity Man and Star Man, and Wave Man's level with the jet-ski was fun change of pace.

MMX2 - To be honest, it was a little forgettable compared to X1 except being able to play as Zero was fun.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Trick question. They're all the same game
will-smith-get-out.gif

Need to replay them all again, but based on memories.

Mega Man X
Mega Man X4
Mega Man 11
Mega Man 2
Either Mega Man X2 or Mega Man 7 (I'm one of those weirdos that liked it)

Hinedorf

Banned
For me the first 3 were nostalgia masterpieces with 1 and 2 being significantly harder than 3. X1 Games were great and the animated cuts from MM8 rounded out my top 5

1. MM1 2. MM2 3. MM3 4. MMx1 5. MM8

Top Bottom