• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your biggest gaming hardware mispurchases

Fitzchiv

Ouya. I was one of the Kickstarter backers, and have a bronze "founders edition" with a spare controller.

In fairness it was the first reliable PS1 emulator I got hooked up to the TV that gave a semi decent experience, I played FF7 through on it with no issues.

But yeah, fucking hell.

Edmund

Same 3080. Literally 2 weeks after I got mine they were on sale everywhere. I was so late to the party

I think at least the price to performance ratio of the 3080 is better than the 2080. The P/F ratio of the rtx 2080 was horrendous 😂

RAIDEN1

(Maybe showing my age here) :messenger_grinning_smiling: but the Amiga CD32, claimed to be the first out of the block of the 32-bit generation, and having had the Amiga previously I thought Commodore could do no wrong......but they did and it was a car-crash of a console, that couldn't even hold a candle to the fellow 32-bit competitor at the time - 3DO

Last edited:

Malachai

I wouldn't say it was a mispurchase exactly but I barely play my Series X even though I have gamepass. Hopefully that should change when Redfall and Starfield are released. The latter was my main reason for purchasing the console after I heard about the Bethesda buyout.

Laptop1991

My RTX 2080. I bought into the rtx hype and paid a lot of money for it.
Same, my RTX 280 super stopped working after only 2 years, first Nvidia card i ever had that went bad, and the RTX at the time wasn't worth it. most id ever paid as well.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
None, but almost bought a Quest 2. Tried one before and the FoV is horrendous and it's blurry af outside the center of the lenses.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm gonna have to go with the Kinect for Xbox One. Also Elite Controller. Shit broke in 3 months.

Bought a Wii for my grandma. Bought a 360 for my girlfriend's kids who don't call me anymore since we broke up.

Kinda regret buying the Series X but kinda don't honestly, because I don't game on it. It's become a youtube machine. My TV can do that. It's good in case I wanna play Singleplayer games on a big screen. Too competitive to use a screen that big for PVP type games. I imagine Diablo IV is gonna be amazing on it.

Spyxos

Gold Member
This is embarrassing...but definitely these two items:

force___flex_NES-Power-Glove.jpg

laserScope2.jpg
Wtf is the second one?

Wtf is the second one?

Basically a NES Zapper that you wear on your head, you use the eye piece to aim at the screen and say fire when you want it to shoot. Basically you can say anything into it to make it fire, even blowing in the mic would make it fire. Also had built in headphones, which super sucked. Complete garbage, it fell apart fairly quickly because it was built horribly, but me and my friends got lots of laughs out of it back in the day!

Marvel14

Banned
Dreamcast. Bought it for my cousins convinced it was gaming's future...oh how wrong I was. They probably played it a couple of months ( Soul Calibur) and then stopped.

Last edited:

Beechos

What don't you like? I am unsure if I should get one.
I already have a quest 2 and run games off my pc. I was expecting too much I was hoping with the ps5 power and the new vr tech the image quality would be a generational leap forward. Screen door effect is still there I was hoping we'd be at a point where the vr image is as clean as a tv/monitor image. The controller tracking seems a little wonky, it would lose my controllers at times unless I stuck my hands straight out. It's also a pain in the ass to store since the usb cord is so long I felt like I was in the 16bit days rolling the cord around the headset.

So far nothing released has been omg super impressive from what I own out of village, Kayak, switchback and gt 7 coupled with the price I spent is what made me say this. Fingers crossed its still super early though.

Beechos

I can't believe all the dreamcast mentions. It's worth it for powerstone 1/2 let alone all the arcade fighting ports and the 2k sports.

Sleepwalker

Some more:

I bought a Wii with the motionplus to play skyward sword. The game was trash and I sold the console for a loss after a few weeks.

PSP: bought it, installed homebrew, barely used it, got rid of it.

Gaming laptop: its just not worth it, get something with good build quality and a nice screen, I thought I was gonna play games on my laptop, I was wrong.

1. Sega Genesis instead of Super Nintendo when I was 6 years old

2. Steam Deck

Every other gaming hardware purchase I've ever made has been objectively correct (PS1, GBC, PS2, PS3 slim, PS4, Vita/3DS for emulation, PS5)

Last edited:

Hoddi

I'll give the title to my Radeon HD 6850. I bought into the tessellation hype but then I couldn't play even a single game with it without dropping the resolution to 720p. I still see people trying to blame Crysis 2 for being 'overtessellated' but it was always just horseshit. Those cards were just crap at it.

But I'll also call out nvidia for always being stingy with VRAM. I made that mistake twice in the early 2000s and have since kept well away from their low memory cards. I've seen that RTX 3070 users are now feeling it and I don't think they'll be making that mistake again.

BlakeofT

I bought a Neo Geo Pocket color bundle from Game Stop. I think it cost $80. Not a lot now, but for me at the time it was. I did not play it very much at all. Maybe I can sell it now and break even :p

a0718cfe40c4a0901def14825341

Very few games worth it, very few movies available to watch.

I got the 'enhanced' bundle the store offered a couple months after launch with claimed 'upgraded' hardware and computer accessories with 10 discs of software included.

I later realized I wasn't getting that $1450 back.

Even trying to salvage it as a computer didn't work out well. Wasn't much available to use with it and existing software (that I wanted) in many cases had problems. I traded it all in a year later to get a 3DO with 5 games, and a then advanced color video gps for my car.

So much potential and no support.

People saying the Wii and MegaDrive... I mean really? Both not just unique but honestly had amazing titles, especially the MegaDrive, unless you believe in the 'it doesn't have any games' talking point that's basically fake.

The irony of my statement is that I'm going to pick the PS3 lol, but that's more my own issue as I just didn't find the games I bought for it that interesting at the time (like Uncharted).

Loved the last of us which was probably the only game I finished besides the Yakuza games, but soon after bought a PS4 pro and absolutely loved playing Uncharted collection and other PS3-to-ps4 games.

MrStauf

Banned
PS4 Pro i bought it to play RDR2 on release played it for 90mins but due to the awful frame rate i switched it off and never used it again.

a0718cfe40c4a0901def14825341

Very few games worth it, very few movies available to watch.

I got the 'enhanced' bundle the store offered a couple months after launch with claimed 'upgraded' hardware and computer accessories with 10 discs of software included.

I later realized I wasn't getting that $1450 back.

Even trying to salvage it as a computer didn't work out well. Wasn't much available to use with it and existing software (that I wanted) in many cases had problems. I traded it all in a year later to get a 3DO with 5 games, and a then advanced color video gps for my car.

So much potential and no support.

That followed up by 3DO, double oof. I feel that.

PeteBull

Og first Xbox, had only 2 games for it, it was scratching discs so it made me not buy ever xbox console again =/

mrmustard

Banned
PSVR - I like VR, but i actually only really enjoyed one game: Astro Bot Rescue. It was too expensive for one game.
PS4 Pro - I should have kept my Slim, my god was the Pro loud.
Dsi XL - Bigger screen, same resolution. Eye cancer.

OZ9000

Banned
My RTX 2080. I bought into the rtx hype and paid a lot of money for it.
I disagree.

I purchased mine for £550 at the time and it still offers fantastic performance to this day. DLSS even allows you to play 4k60 in a lot of titles.

Of course if you purchase purely based on RT then you will be disappointed.

I regretfully sold my RTX 2080 in the anticipation of buying an RTX 3080 (which did not go well at all). I now have a piece of shit GTX 1660 Ti which only plays 1080p.

May have to rebuy the 2080 for cheap as a stop gap until the 5080 is released...

PrimeX

NINTENDO SWITCH.

I have played all the good games on my WiiU, and bought a switch with new games in mind. Unfortunately nintendo focused on putting all the wiiu games on this console and the few new titles are underwhelming at best. There is no way to compare Mario 3D World with Mario Odyssey. The latter is a rushed, unpolished and empty game that I traded for metroid prime remastered without finishing it.

Assaulty

Biggest hardware regret was probably a Logitech G920 racing wheel because I was so hyped for Forza Horizon 5. Bought a stand and everything. Ended up using it for 5 hours and now its at the addic.

Also retroactively regret getting a switch. I've bought a lot of games on it in various sales, but it ended up as a pokemon machine because of the poor (graphics) performance on most third party titles. Besides that, I think Zelda BOTW is one of the most tedious open world games I've ever played (doesn't help I just came of finishing Witcher 3 for the first time) and I don't care about Mario. Now that I own a Steam Deck the Switch hasn't been used once outside of Pokemon Violet.

Roufianos

Vita for me. Was marketed as providing console like games and just ended up as an indie machine.

Wii absolutely sucked also, didn't finish a single game outside of Sonic Colours.

TrebleShot

Just before Xmas I built my first gaming PC I went balls to wall with it spending thousands on it and it’s very powerful.

I wanted something to boost my games beyond console settings and get that crispy IQ and smooth FR.

End of March I still haven’t played a game through to completion for several reasons that I just couldn’t be bothered to figure out.

I wanted all my games through Steam Big Picture mode but adding them from Epic and Game Pass is janky as hell, so basically have to get everything through steam for a unified experience.

Dualsense controllers are usually supported but often you’ll need to figure out third party software etc and games you’ve added through non steam game sometimes work sometimes don’t.

The PC is loud as fuck, granted I have a small form factor case with a 4090 in it so I’m cramming a lot in there but the fans are loud to the point of distraction under load, think PS4 levels.

Games themselves look fantastic and the biggest difference is IQ at 60fps plus.

Now why is this a regret? Well I found myself thinking this is a pain in the arse and it would be so much easier to just turn on my PS5 and accept the lower res for performance and you know what games still look great and you get other unique features.

Recently also with performance issues and broken launches on PC I feel you’re always waiting for the next fix or update to make something enjoyable.

TLOUp1 looks incredible on PC probably the best looking game crown off of H:FW but again you need a controller plugged in for haptics, there’s horrible stutter on traversal. When you A - B between it and PS5 , sure PS5 is lower res and softer but you know what, it still looks incredible and runs much smoother even at 90fps.

Will I sell my PC? No probably not, playing through Resi 4 on it and it’s a fun experience but is it transformative or significantly better than PS5? Absolutely not.

So I’d go back to before Xmas and just tell myself not to bother and really just drive home that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and it won’t enhance your experience to the relevant cost level.

So I’ll keep it but it’s more a curiosity than anything else.

Top Bottom