• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your biggest gaming hardware mispurchases

Spyxos

Gold Member
For me that would be The Eye of Judgement. Played once with friends and then never touched it again.

pkEIvoE.jpg

Madcatz controller street fighter edition for ps3/xbox 360 both were broken after 3 months.

hj3EM3w.jpg

I bought the Wii 2 times. The first one was lost or stolen during the move. Then I bought the second Wii specifically for Muramasa: The Demon Blade and then never played it.

HyXis5f.jpg

Oculus Rift S it was discontinued by Facebook after only one year and they then just focused on Quest 2.

3DjlUtQ.jpg

2 Razor mice. One broke after a few months and the other changed color completely after a year and looked like shit.

Last edited:

nush

Sega Menacer Lightgun. Damn did that have less support that the SNES Superscope. Technically it should be something like the DJ Hero decks that only have 2 games, but at least they were good games + DLC.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Xbox One X. Got very giddy about having a giant new TV at the time and wanting more to put underneath it. Played some good stuff but it ultimately wasn't worth it as a PC owner.

Vita - everyone went on about how amazing it was. I thought oh I can play my PS4 games on it through Remote Play but it was awful especially with the back touch controls. The only game I ever bought for it was Persona 4 Golden so I can't be too mad because that was the first Persona game I played and I love the games now.

Wii U - bought one to play Breath of the Wild in 2017 because I didn't think it was worth buying a Switch just for one game lol. I think after about 5 hours of playing BOTW I realised I had fucked up because I decided buying a Switch just for this game was totally worth it. I returned the Wii U and got a Switch. Looking back now the Switch is a huge success and one of my favourite consoles of all time.

PS5 - realised I wouldn't have any games to play on it that I couldn't play on my PS4 so decided to just put the money into my PC

290 GPU - the first PC i built had an AMD 290. by the time i bought it it was already quite old. After about a year I sold it to upgrade to a new GPU. It was my first PC and i didn't want to spend a lot because I wasn't sure if I'd like it so I can forgive myself but it was a waste.

poodaddy

I honestly haven't gotten enough out of my PS5 to justify how excited I was to finally nab one. I honestly feel kinda stupid about it, and no I'm not a console warrior at all, Demon's Souls, Returnal, and the Spider Man remaster are all stand out titles, but nothing else has really done anything for me. Incredibly hype for Wolverine and the next Spider Man game though, so I feel like I will have vindicated the purchase when I play those.

Impotaku

Buying a Dreamcast not once but twice. Bought one when it first came out in japan regretted it months later when there was fuck all worth playing that interested me I held onto it for a while but before I finally sold it on I had the grand total of just 3 games for it. sonic adventure, code Veronica & pop n music. Many years later I decided to give it another chance, however there still wasn’t much in the game library to tempt me as I love weird & quirky. I do love rhythm games so I ended up with both samba games & space channel 5 but that’s pretty much it, but in general the library is just a total mismatch for my tastes. The amount of games I enjoyed on that console I can barely count on both hands. Even the megadrive had more Sega stuff that I loved.

ironmang

Wii - Think I sold it after 2 weeks. Didn't care at all for the gimmick.
PS5 - Haven't turned it on in over a year. Think I'm all 3rd person'd out after last gen. SM2 is the only exclusive I'm looking forward to over the next couple years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
definitely the xbox one. I ended up getting a ps4 a year later and it felt like a generation ahead of the xbox one in every respect.

kubricks

DSi. I don't enjoy the larger size really and the slightly better cpu/hardware is pointless.
I should have bought another DS lite when the hinge broke.

My Vita. It's for sale, if anyone is interested.
Wait are you serious? I love mine lol. It's a solid emulator up to PS1 and mame with an OLED screen.
If you are into JRPG this thing is fantastic.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Wait are you serious? I love mine lol. It's a solid emulator up to PS1 and mame with an OLED screen.
Yes. Tearaway was cool and so was having Spelunky on the go. Nothing else on it was worthwhile. The only hardware I bought besides maybe the first consumer Oculus Rift that I've regretted. And I bought a WiiU.

calistan

Bought a Mega Drive, then saw a Japanese SNES running in the window of an import gaming shop and realised I'd made a huge mistake.

More recently, bought a Taito Egret II Mini retro console thing, which I waited months for on pre-order and must have played all of three hours on.

My 82" Samsung Q70R.
Great picture, but the connections are some of the most WTF were they thinking that I may never buy another Samsung TV again.
HDMI 2.1 is only on source 1, ARC is on Source 4. I was mislead on it's abilities and I feel outright lied to as a result.
Took years to pay it off.
Samsung you done goofed. (And me too)

calistan

Nintendo DS and Mario 64.

Absolutely unplayable with the stylus.
Yeah, I don't think you were meant to play it with the stylus. There's a little plastic nub on the strap that fits over your thumb (still completely crap though).

dottme

The original Kinect. God almighty why?

Some would say my Wii U, some would say my Vita. I loved them both, especially the latter.
I’ve got the kinect and the WiiU. I too regret buying the Kinect much more than the WiiU.
At least the WiiU did have some good game I still remember like XCX and TMS.

GymWolf

Buying a switch for zelda botw and pffff....metroid prime 4 and an xbox one before phil announced that every game was also day one on pc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't think you were meant to play it with the stylus. There's a little plastic nub on the strap that fits over your thumb (still completely crap though).

Nintendo really should have released Super Mario 64 3DS, but instead they choose not to acknowledge the existence of this version. Sad!

Fuz

Banned
My first PC, a Pentium Pro.

It wasn't really a gaming PC (what I wanted) and I paid an INSANE price. Coming from the Amiga, Kid Fuz was completely ignorant about PC enviroment.

DryvBy

1. Xbox One original. I put in maybe 3 hours in the entire console with Rare Replay. The UI made me angry so I quit using it, that and it was junk compared to my other systems and PC at the time.

2. 1080 - I fell out of PC gaming shortly after thanks to life and moving my PC downstairs.

3. PS Eye and EyePet. I was an idiot. No idea why I wanted this.

4. Fight stick for PS3/PS4 - Its been a decoration almost the entire time. Used it maybe twice.

GHG

My Vita. It's for sale, if anyone is interested.

Are you me?

I literally came to post this. Mines for sale as well. The Deck is everything I wished that machine was and now I realise the reason I used the vita so little is because it was just a poor handheld system.

That and the OG Xbox One. I bought one just for the Forza games only for them to then announce they were going PC as well. At least I got to experience Forza Horizon 2, so there's that, but everything else I could have just played on PC if I had waited a couple of years before deciding whether or not to purchase the system.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Are you me?

I literally came to post this. Mines for sale as well. The Deck is everything I wished that machine was and now I realise the reason I used the vita so little is because it was just a poor handheld system.

That and the OG Xbox One. I bought one just for the Forza games only for them to then announce they were going PC as well. At least I got to experience Forza Horizon 2, so there's that, but everything else I could have just played on PC if I had waited a couple of years before deciding whether or not to purchase the system.
Steam Deck is my dream machine. <3

kyussman

A bought a Gamecube to play Metroid Prime.....played it,never finished it......no idea what that was all about,lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bought the alleged greatest gaming machine an Alienware 15r3 laptop, one thing about those gaming laptops is they’re always hot, trust me. It’s a special brand Alienware from dell, I’ll give you that packing that power in a laptop was beautiful but the motherboard failed on me, and demonstrated that gaming laptops are more trouble than they’re worth.
csm_15R3_38_8a13307a50.jpg

ssringo

PSVR2

Not because I dislike it or want to get rid of it. But because the day after it released I became surprisingly busy with work and it didn't let up until RE4R released which takes up my game time. Basically it's been collecting dust and will continue doing so. I could've used that money on something else in the meantime.

Top Bottom