• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you doing Google? (Stadia related rant)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
- Why is this service still up and running if you aren't going to properly support it? You finally release a proper Chromecast dongle with a remote, and no support for Stadia until some random time 2021? Like seriously, do they care at all?
- Second, I just got an email from Stadia asking if I want to "pre-order" a streaming game? What? Why would I pre-pay for a game that doesn't need to preload? Very confused, and appears google is too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Like seriously, do they care at all?
Obviously not.

I feel like I gave Stadia a fair shake, and the technology is certainly impressive, but the implementation is absolutely terrible. It's pretty obvious that Google is out of their depth here.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As someone else predicted. Like with so many other services, Google has a reputation of abandon their products.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They had zero post release budget. Google is one of those companies that really shouldn't exist as they make mistakes nearly constantly. If the didn't have the monopoly on search engines they wouldn't exist.

Once Lumia launches from Amazon it won't even matter at all.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They’re done with it. Shut down by the end of next year probably. This is the Google MO.

I doubt it. Google knows the advertising cash cow is at risk with new privacy rules, so they need new sources of revenue.

kyoji

Stadia just like Cloud Gaming in Dead in Water, try again in 2030.
And that's still too soon i say, its super cute these company's who think the market is ready for it now are beefing up there cloud servers etc, but what about the households they plan to market to, are ISPs ready? are infrastructures in place to support GOOD cloud gaming? In the US alone i can tell you its not. Also the company's yapping about this MS AMAZON GOOGLE don't even have a notable foothold in gaming WORLDWIDE, yet they want you to buy into this now or soon-ish because the future is here in the next 5 years, Think about this there is a reason the 2 best most recognizable gaming giants in the world have not pushed for this, and while they still maybe investing and making plans for this so that they are ready down the line - they realize it isn't anytime soon, And when and if we reach that point Sony and Nintendo will still be who the other guys are chasing.

Last edited:
The gaming industry isn't something you can dabble in as an "experimental" sort of venture. You need to put everything into it, like when MS basically threw money at it 20 years ago, in order to effectively buy their way into the industry.

Google has the money to do it. So does Apple and Amazon.

Remember when streaming was the latest hype? We got all these announcements about new services and now its silent.

jigglet

Banned
Google has the money to do it.

So throw money at it then. I mean your comment is kind of confusing. I said you need to throw money at it, and you retort: no, they have money. Yeah they have money. My point, and your point. So what's your point, I'm confused?

Me: money
You: money
Me: ok, money
You: agreed, disagreed.
Me: WTF

(money)

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
If it's not PlayStation I will not game on it, I make exceptions for select Xbox titles on PC and for Smash Ultimate (trash game btw).
Google can frankly ligma balls no offence.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why is this service still up and running if you aren't going to properly support it?

I see you're new to Google

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Kamina

Golden Boy
I presume they are letting it run as long as a few fools are playing and they at least make a few bucks.
Once it falls below a certain threshold they will kill it.
I bet they already have an approximate internal end-date.

Cato

Banned
This is a paid service. It is a lot harder to just pull the plug compared to a free service.
For example, what happens with purchased content if they pull the plug? Just a "the games you purchased and 'own' are gone. tough shit"?
I think the service will probably keep running for a long time, semi-abandoned.

I can't see however what future they have. At the end of the day a streaming service lives and dies based on the content they can provide. Where are the new games for the service going to come from? I can't see any AA or AAA developers still excited or planning any more content to release on stadia at this point.

What is the future? Just a never ending list of cheap indies, or are they planning to "lets add all the free2play android games to stadia" ? Where else are they planning new content to come from?

Last edited:

John Day

Sadly it’s just another plaything for engineers at Google. Company doesn’t seem to care about bleeding money.

Zero7

Cloud gaming is just anti consumer crap and people are smart enough to see this.

If Google had built a set top box that would have comepeted alongside Sony,ms and Nintendo. Maybe people would have taken them more seriously.

Cyberpunkd

Cloud gaming is just anti consumer crap and people are smart enough to see this.

If Google had built a set top box that would have comepeted alongside Sony,ms and Nintendo. Maybe people would have taken them more seriously.
Cloud gaming has incredible future, but it will start with the likes of Flight Simulator, where cloud is used to display the terrain and give you real-time weather conditions. The game simply cannot exist without the cloud infrastructure.

I gave Stadia a shot today, it is really great and I see a lot of potential, shame Google is not pushing harder for it. It's so refreshing not having to hear the fan and being able to play some games on ultra quality on my M1 Macbook Air.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
Cloud gaming has incredible future, but it will start with the likes of Flight Simulator, where cloud is used to display the terrain and give you real-time weather conditions. The game simply cannot exist without the cloud infrastructure.

I gave Stadia a shot today, it is really great and I see a lot of potential, shame Google is not pushing harder for it. It's so refreshing not having to hear the fan and being able to play some games on ultra quality on my M1 Macbook Air.

I really wouldn’t give too much credence to the soothsayers who are predicting nothing but doom and gloom for anything but their personal view.

in a few months, numerous 2021 TVs will be running GoogleTV that will have Stadia immediately available, that’s available to people who have never had a console or an inclination to try one before.

it’s a funny state of affairs that a populist view can be shattered in a moment when it “gets gud“ and people begin to feel left out, these same soothsayers jump too.

Stadia might not be for anyone here, but it’s for those future kids and adults, who don’t mind embracing something different that offers a really good way of playing games.

Carry on soothsaying ..

wolywood

I really wouldn’t give too much credence to the soothsayers who are predicting nothing but doom and gloom for anything but their personal view.

in a few months, numerous 2021 TVs will be running GoogleTV that will have Stadia immediately available, that’s available to people who have never had a console or an inclination to try one before.

it’s a funny state of affairs that a populist view can be shattered in a moment when it “gets gud“ and people begin to feel left out, these same soothsayers jump too.

Stadia might not be for anyone here, but it’s for those future kids and adults, who don’t mind embracing something different that offers a really good way of playing games.

Carry on soothsaying ..
Yeah for anyone who is still holding out hope that Google will "kill off Stadia", the just announced partnership with LG probably puts the nail in that.

Top Bottom