• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are we thinking about the future of Halo Infinite compatibility?

LordOfChaos

In all my finite wisdom, I sold my GPU during this whole shortage price pump, I wasn't looking to scalp but I just didn't think it was worth what people were willing to part with to me.

So then Halo Infinite comes along, doh I have no real hardware to play it on (PS5+Switch), so I tried Game Pass Ultimate cloud streaming. It's...Not amazing. At least not where I am. It may be running on Series X hardware, but the lag is noticeable and worse, inconsistent, so you may frustratingly over or undershoot at the wrong moment. Even adding decent lag could be passable if it was consistent but the swings make it worse. And the video compression is so significant that it may as well be playing on weaker hardware.

So that being the case, I thought, this would even be better played locally on an Xbox One at 30fps, even with much reduced settings and resolution. At least the lag wouldn't be there, and we played Halo at 30 for years before, and it's kind of the main thing I want out of Xbox hardware...TES6 yes, but by that time who knows.

So my point here is, would it be worth picking up an Xbox One (maybe S) at this point, and just get Game Pass when new Halo infinite expansions come out? Or does this risk the XBO being cut off at the next or next to next expansion? I've never really been a two big current gen console guy, kind of feels redundant, and even with the Series S that's a spread of over double the price (440CAD after tax vs maybe 200 for an XBO). I can technically afford it just fine, it's just never been what I went for, especially for mainly one game.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you can afford it, get the seriesS (or X if you want higher resolution).
You will thank yourself.
Not only are the series consoles 60fps but they have way faster loading and are future proof for this gen.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

In all my finite wisdom, I sold my GPU during this whole shortage price pump, I wasn't looking to scalp but I just didn't think it was worth what people were willing to part with to me.

So then Halo Infinite comes along, doh I have no real hardware to play it on (PS5+Switch), so I tried Game Pass Ultimate cloud streaming. It's...Not amazing. At least not where I am. It may be running on Series X hardware, but the lag is noticeable and worse, inconsistent, so you may frustratingly over or undershoot at the wrong moment. Even adding decent lag could be passable if it was consistent but the swings make it worse. And the video compression is so significant that it may as well be playing on weaker hardware.

So that being the case, I thought, this would even be better played locally on an Xbox One at 30fps, even with much reduced settings and resolution. At least the lag wouldn't be there, and we played Halo at 30 for years before, and it's kind of the main thing I want out of Xbox hardware...TES6 yes, but by that time who knows.

So my point here is, would it be worth picking up an Xbox One (maybe S) at this point, and just get Game Pass when new Halo infinite expansions come out? Or does this risk the XBO being cut off at the next or next to next expansion? I've never really been a two big current gen console guy, kind of feels redundant, and even with the Series S that's a spread of over double the price (440CAD after tax vs maybe 200 for an XBO). I can technically afford it just fine, it's just never been what I went for, especially for mainly one game.

What do you think?

This is a game that must be played in 60 FPS for maximum enjoyment.

Series S consoles are available frequently and it is worth $299.

Bridges

The game is technically playable on XB1 but it is such a night and day difference that you'd want to avoid it at all costs if there is any other option

Lone Wolf

Don’t waste your money on an Xbox one S or X. Just get the Series S if you want to spend less. Halo plays MUCH better on the Series consoles, and the Xbox one will eventually be left behind with this game.

BlackTron

Ok this is what you do

Step 1: Buy an Xbox Series X

Step 2: Buy a 140hz gaming monitor with 1ms response time

Step 3: divorce wife, play Halo

LordOfChaos

Ok this is what you do

Step 1: Buy an Xbox Series X

Step 2: Buy a 140hz gaming monitor with 1ms response time

Step 3: divorce wife, play Halo

I have to find someone to marry for all this??
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Top Bottom