• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the odds Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is ported to Switch's successor?

Knightime_X

Chances of Nintendo's next gen console being announced in 2023 is probably like 80%.

How soon do you think a port will be announced?
Launch day? (Sometime in 2024) 1-3 years later??

I want the game but switch's hardware is kinda... Well, you know.. 😬😬😬

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo historically doesn't really do ports. Only if the successor is right around the corner.

Wii U was the exception cause it was such a failure.

Take Mario 64 for example, one of their biggest games ever. So few ports to speak of, and so much time in between.

feynoob

Banned
Depends on next switch launch date.

This was for breath of wild.
Breath of the Wild launched for both the Wii U and Switch on March 3, 2017. It was the last Nintendo game released for the Wii U.
We might see it sooner, if they release their new console.

Gambit2483

SXvCDVX.gif

nial

Gold Member
Microsoft and Sony have made ports for their new consoles and they're BC. It's Nintendo, so chances are pretty high, but I think they'll at least offer a $10 upgrade.
Nintendo historically doesn't really do ports.
Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant and the Zelda collection for Gamecube? The New Play Control games for Wii? Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Wii U? Heck, their handhelds are full of ports.

the steam deck is already out
Gross, barf, gross :)

Nintendo historically doesn't really do ports. Only if the successor is right around the corner.

Take Mario 64 for example, one of their biggest games ever. So few ports to speak of, and so much time in between.
I don't think I can let this pass. M64 has been ported/remastered to at least 4 systems. But perhaps you have something with the "really" as Nintendo surely takes a different approach to porting since it's all first party.

jigglet

Banned
Microsoft and Sony have made ports for their new consoles and they're BC. It's Nintendo, so chances are pretty high, but I think they'll at least offer a $10 upgrade.

Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant and the Zelda collection for Gamecube? The New Play Control games for Wii? Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Wii U? Heck, their handhelds are full of ports.
No you're right. I don't know what I was thinking when I said that.

mortal

Gold Member
It's certainly plausible, considering that two major Zelda games have been cross-gen releases.
If we don't get any news about a new hardware reveal in 2023, then not probably not.

Bakkus

Most likely, yes. But Nintendo obviously needs to make it better than the Switch version in various ways as Switch 2 is almost guaranteed to be backwards compatible.

Bragr

Banned
If it's on the level of BOTW I don't care if it runs at 5 fps 540p.

Don't expect any new Switch console anytime soon. It's still selling like a new console.

nush

Gold Member
I don't think I can let this pass. M64 has been ported/remastered to at least 4 systems. But perhaps you have something with the "really" as Nintendo surely takes a different approach to porting since it's all first party.

The waters get muddied when it's virtual console stuff, iQue was just an N64 on a chip solution.

The Switch 2 will have a new Zelda, a new world and a new look. It is possible that new game might be on the Switch one.. but this game is just an expansion on BOTW.. It is a Majora's mask situation in my eyes. ( I hope it is better than Majora.. that game sucks.)

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I psychically predict they'll upgrade the graphics slightly, add a little content, and launch it the day the Switch 2 releases at full price

Tears Of The Kingdom expansion pack.

Psybear.jpg

boo

Gold Member
I expect to buy the game once per system. Once for Switch. Then for the next system.

In addition to being more powerful, Nintendo will make sure that the next system have something extra which means that there will be two different versions of the game.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don’t see why people think the switch 2 is coming out next year… Nintendo is milking the switch hardware for 10 years.
There won't be a successor to Switch to port to until 2024 or beyond. They may end up enhancing the current Switch but there's no reason otherwise. I recall seeing Switch ads as early as March 2016 too. So, given it launched in 2017...where are the ads for the elusive Switch 2 to compliment this upcoming release?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Let's see:
Nintendo 64 games ported to Game Cube, Game Cube games ported to Wii/U, Wii U game ported to Switch

That's a toughy... Tsc

Holammer

I think the Nintendo Next will come 2024. Of course they will make a souped up version for it. Along with new releases of Switch games like Odyssey. If they are really scummy? A third tour of duty for the WiiU games.
Now in 4k! (actually upscaled 1440p)

Tams

Gold Member
They'll do it just like TP was released on Wii and GC and BotW was on Wii U and switch.
Both of those were for the transition from a poorly selling console.

I do think TOTK will be playable on the Switch's successor, but just because they'll keep the game card slot. There might be a download that would allow the game to take advantage of the better performance - for a fee (I guess $20) if you own the Switch version, and you'll be able to just buy it with the enhancements for the successor at regular Nintendo game price. There might be DLC by then, so that might get included in the game for the successor as a package.

Last edited:

Fbh

"Oh sure you can play the Switch version of Tears of the Kingdom on your Switch2, but you'll be capped at 30fps and 720p. If you'd like to enjoy the game at 1080p (1440p when docked) and 60fps please look forward to the "Hero of the Skies" edition coming this summer for only $70*
* if you own the original Switch release an upgrade option will be made available to you for a reduced price of $65.

i think it's 100% guaranteed BOTW + TOTK will be on nintendos next console. there is too much money to be made for them not to do it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member

Microsoft and Sony didn't do that many ports until the 8th gen and the galore of remasters. Nintendo could easily bolster its launch line-up with remasters of Switch games playing at 1080p/60fps. Hell, if they have DLSS they could even advertise 4K (with an internal res of 1080p).

jigglet

Banned
Microsoft and Sony didn't do that many ports until the 8th gen and the galore of remasters. Nintendo could easily bolster its launch line-up with remasters of Switch games playing at 1080p/60fps. Hell, if they have DLSS they could even advertise 4K (with an internal res of 1080p).

I'd rebuy half their shit cause I'm just that stupid.

Top Bottom