• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most saddest moments in games you played? *spoilers obviously*

catvonpee

I'm playing Ori 2 and there's been a critical plot development just now and I am so sad 😭

74sYeyJ.jpg

Quasicat

The ending to Kingdom Hearts. We went through all of that to rescue Kairi only to leave her to find Riku…and that music:

DrCheese

Been posted earlier in the thread but To the Moon had me in puddles of tears for most of the back half - I didn't expect something so simple to hit me so hard & I don't know of any other film/game that has. Just a fantastic piece of story telling, even if the game itself isn't much of a "game"

TheGrat1

God of War: Chains of Olympus

It pretty much says it all. The only thing in Kratos' life that is any good, the only thing he cares about: his daughter. He is finally reunited with her but has to part again in order to save her. I did not cry but I got a little choked up. No game has ever brought me that close to tears. The thing that gives this real impact is that unlike a lot of these scenes that are posted is that you actually have to PLAY this part. Pushing Calliope away for the last time requires action on the part of that player, it does not simply play out in a cutscene. I remember thinking "Are they really going to make me do this?" and not wanting to press the button. Anyone who is invested in the character of Kratos can actually feel a degree of the regret that he does in this scene. The perfect blend of gameplay and story.

Contrary opinion: I could not care less about Dom's wife. She is never seen in the original or 2 until just before she dies and yet Dom can not shut up about her. The whole world is coming to an end and yet he acts like the world revolves around his problems. I do not hate him for caring but I hate the game for making it such a big focus considering how strange it was juxtaposed against the rest of the story/universe. Gears of War. The most Dudebro of all the Dudebro shooters trying to shoehorn in this sob story. It is like having Michael Bay write and direct Schindler's List.

When Sarah dies in The Last of Us. The first and only time a game really got some serious emotion out of me. So violent and raw. Well acted.
QualifiedBareAmericanavocet-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Aunt May's death in Spider-man PS4
Ori's beginning
Seeing Abby near the end of TLOU Part II

Last edited:

Sensei

I read many great choices already. Of the ones not yet posted:

Trails of Cold Steel IV, the true ending. It wasn't sad at all per se, but it felt like "the" closure of basically all the emotions carried over 9 games. Also the music was spot on, at least for me.

_Ex_

94337_front.jpg

NiER Gestalt/Replicant

Fyra gets killed on her wedding by the wolfs but on second playthrough we see wolfs are not at fault here, Facade people killed their pacts.
Not entirely fair, Farcade is "not" responible for turning the land into desert given their simple life style.

Oshtor sacrificing himself and Haku having to lie to his best friends about what happened. Kuon's reaction was also heartbreaking.

Also

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy shit that scene broke my heart. Was interesting commentary on the burden someone carries when they don't have anyone to open up to while still carrying the world on their shoulders.

Utawarerumono was just plain heartbreaking and bittersweet in general. Some of the best storytelling in games if you ask me.

Phantasy Star IV

maxresdefault.jpg

What made it even more difficult is the fact that Alys suffers for quite long before her death. Kid me had a hard time understanding all of this, but when it eventually clicked, it hurt.
This hurt me more than Aerith death. The music when she was dying have me depressed. And the worst part is, they were clinging onto the hope Rune/Lutz can do something. They had to beat Zios fast but no way to do that without finding Rune first but then it was too late.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sarah’s death in the Last of Us comes to mind, although i was more shocked than actually sad.
Sadness came for me when Jin’s horse in Ghost of Tsushima died after a lengthy journey together.

The Last Guardian -- Sending Trico Away...

Metal Gear Solid 3 -- Final Salute.

Shadow of the Colossus -- The ending in general is a hell of a tidal wave of emotions.

Persona 4 -- I didn't cry, but I really didn't want to leave Inaba...I just had that sad empty feeling when it was all over...I loved those characters so much and didn't want it to end.

Last edited:
The saddest moment I've had playing WoW was when, not long after Cataclysm dropped, I returned to Dalaran in Northrend and found it empty. It made me feel empty.

Altares13th

Every Uera-san game. Multiple times in each game.
Silent Hill 2's ending.
FF7's thing (obviously).
TLOU1 intro.
TLOU2's last meeting with you know who.
FFX's ending.
Life is strange and before the storm.
I probably forgot many, drama is what makes stories have meaning.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

1. Walking Dead when Clementine has to shoot Lee.
2. Silent Hill Shattered Memories where protagonist who has been looking for his daughter in Silent Hill realizes he has been dead the whole time when he finally finds his daughter.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Call me a baby, but I felt VERY SAD when I finished Mega Man 3 for the first time. That slideshow of Dr Light's creations, which are essentially Mega Man's siblings who had to be destroyed in the first game, all accompanied by that bittersweet music..

I'm sure most people who played the game felt emotional to some extent during that ending.

RaduN

Death Stranding was something else.

The entire last scene with Sam and Cliff was mind blowing and poignant.
DeadMan's appology - impossible to describe, it really has to be experienced first hand. It is by far the best acting in any game ever, and having an experienced theater actor put his heart and soul into that scene, as he himself admits, sure went a long way.

The ending of Red dead Redemption 1

When John Marston dies

I felt empty and slightly depressed for like a week or two after that.

The obvious stuff in TLOU/TLOU2 as well, of course.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
The microwave scene in MGS4
Parts of FFX
TLOU1/2
The moment I realized that SotC was over

...and the moment I realized I wasted hours of my life trying out Fallout 3 and 4

Tschumi

When Quiet left... Quietly.. from mgs5... I was really bummed the story ended like that

In WoW when an officer took a huge upgrade staff from me for an offset

Last edited:

denisonja

Neo Member
Although i'm not the one to cry at the movies, this scene almost made me..... Can't deny, there was a drop of water in my eye.... Really wanted to kill all those MFers.....

Vystalorn

Neo Member
Despite having never played the game. Aerith's death in FFVII makes me upset to the point where I get goosebumps. That scene is so beautifully choreographed, it gets me every time.

Top Bottom